Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 14 -- Sat, Sep 21 -- 9:30pm ET
Seina Nakajima
Isabelle Ladouceur

2nd
Megan Balsdon
Erica Hopson

2nd
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Best curlers I've ever seen

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-06-19 08:39PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Best curlers I've ever seen

Here's the thing - some fantastic guys I never saw play live - ie. Ken Watson, Jimmy Welsh, Howard Wood, Jimmy Congalton, Grant Watson, etc.

I saw Ernie Richardson play but it was mostly ceremonial in some kind of BigWheel Centennial Bonspiel in Winnipeg, circa 1970. Ernie was pretty much done but put up some good fights in all his games. So here comes the list you've all been waiting for, some to cherish, some to hack, mostly to discuss.

LEADS
Bryan Wood, Benny Hebert, Karrick Martin, Don Bartlett

2nds
Brent Laing, Jumbo Jim Pettapiece, Bernie Sparkes, Brett Gallant,

3rds

Mark Nichols, Garnet Campbell, Wayne Middaugh, Jonathan Mead, Marc Kennedy, Ryan Fry

SKIPS
Kevin Martin, Kevin Koe, Jeff Stoughton, Matt Baldwin (actually saw him play a few times), Don Duguid, David Nedohin, Rick Folk, Ron Northcott, Brad Jacobs, Old Glenny and of course Goo.

VARIABLE POSITIONS:

John Morris, Bob Pickering,
Bernie Sparkes, E.J. Harnden, Jimmy Ursel, Harvey Mazinke.

Would have put Rod Hunter in the 3rds - but Arrow simply didn't make enough shots and his post Duguid career (losing record) bears this out. There never was a more intense competitor than Arrow - and he was able to cobble a partnership with the mercurial Don Duguid, something few were able to do as Duguie was almost always changing teams throughout his career. Hunter knew how to manage Duguid, call line and weight almost flawlessly but was a lost soul after Duguid quickly retired after their 2 straight Briers & World conquests in 1970 & 71.

Lots of current contenders for various spots - including Brendan Bottcher, Darren Moulding, BJ Neufeld, Denni Neufeld.

Old timers who just missed - Bill Tetley, Russ Howard, Jim Shields, Hec Gervais, Lyall Dagg, Mike Lukowich, Jack Keyes, Garry Ford, Steve Gould.

I think I missed a couple Ontario front-enders!

btw - if Gushue manages to pull off a 3rd straight Brier win this year - he just might sneak up to #1 on my skips's list. Actually, without doubt.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 02-06-19 at 08:42PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-06-19 08:55PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

how I miss and I see you missed - Kerry Burtnyk, an all time fav.

02-06-19 08:56PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Was Kevin Martin looking over your shoulder...please. There are 50 ahead of his son!! He's a good lead, and that's that.

Savill
Harrison
Corner
Gould
Rocque
Gibson
Korab
Thiessen
Harnden
Walker
Neufeld

etc etc etc another 40

02-06-19 10:16PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Was Kevin Martin looking over your shoulder...please. There are 50 ahead of his son!! He's a good lead, and that's that.

Savill
Harrison
Corner
Gould
Rocque
Gibson
Korab
Thiessen
Harnden
Walker
Neufeld

etc etc etc another 40

Great list of leads I/O2 - shoulda put Karrick in the up 'n comers list. Harrison was the one I missed outright - glad you put him in there. Walker is tremendous - but Gushue's innate ability to call exacting weight & ice makes him one of the current best.

02-07-19 12:07PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I see no women have made your list of best curlers...including your long time love - Jennifer Jones.

02-07-19 12:40PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I see no women have made your list of best curlers...including your long time love - Jennifer Jones.

Here's on for you. Easily one of the best all time. Most under appreciated/under hyped, under rated. 5 Scotties and 2 worlds. backbone of the C. Jones team for over 10 years.

Kim Kelly

02-07-19 01:58PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

This was my men's list. Women's list coming - don't worry your Ottawa mean girls will ALL be on it . . .

SPOILER ALERT - promise I won't put Rachel in the Shorty Jenkins category!

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 02-07-19 at 02:04PM

02-07-19 04:38PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

I am still looking for Kerry Burtnyk and now Vic Peters too.

02-07-19 05:43PM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ferbey?

Six times Canadian champion and four times world champion...seems like he deserves a place somewhere?

02-09-19 09:20AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Of all the curlers selected by ML (plus several others I would have included), I have selected two curlers who I believe had/have the "best curling delivery of all time".

Best Non Conventional Perfect "Tuck" Delivery: Jeff Stoughton.

Best Conventional, Flawless Delivery Ever: Rachel, ("Smoothest of the Smooth") Homan.

02-09-19 09:23AM
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
Of all the curlers selected by ML (plus several others I would have included), I have selected two curlers who I believe had/have the "best curling delivery of all time".

Best Conventional, Flawless Delivery Ever: Rachel, ("Smoothest of the Smooth") Homan.

gotta agree with Jeff - could watch him throw forever.

I always enjoyed watching Connie Laliberte throw a rock - so smooth.

02-09-19 09:39AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

gotta agree with Jeff - could watch him throw forever.

I always enjoyed watching Connie Laliberte throw a rock - so smooth.

I would go with Homan also for the ladies with Lawes right there also. Maybe Sandra Schmirler from a different era. For the gents that use a lift delivery Glenn Howard would be my guy.

02-09-19 10:10AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer

Rachel Homan & Rod Hunter (aka Manitoba Arrow) are the two best conventional deliveries. Just so amazingly stable. Rachel has no backswing, Arrow had a small backswing.
Other minor difference - Rachel makes more shots - she's invariably clocking in at 82 to 93% for most of her games. Rod, if memory serves was usually 75 to 83%, yes different times, different ice conditions - BUT BOTH ARE GREAT HALL OF FAME CURLERS!

02-09-19 10:15AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Most awkward guys who were also great:

The Wrench, Barry Fry, Kerry Burtnyk, Pat Ryan, Orest Meleschuk, Randy Woytowich, Hector Gervais, Randy Ferbey, Clare DeBlonde, BJ Neufeld.

02-12-19 10:19AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy

I would go with Homan also for the ladies with Lawes right there also. Maybe Sandra Schmirler from a different era. For the gents that use a lift delivery Glenn Howard would be my guy.

Lift or no lift, 15 years ago I ranked Glenn Howard's conventional delivery # 1. Today he's # 2 in my books just slightly ahead of Lawes.

Regarding the "tuck" delivery, I think it's going to be a long, long time before we see anyone come along to match Stoughton.

During the Ontario provincials that fella Forget, McDonald's 2nd , caught my attention with his smooth and grooved "lift delivery". He will be at Brier in March. Check him out.

02-12-19 01:51PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Ed Lukowich had a great delivery.

02-12-19 02:14PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Just for the record - the worst deliveries:

1. Randy Ferbey's bowling alley delivery.

2. Donny Duguid's semi-unstable toe to flat style delivery

3. Orest Meleschuk - smoker's delight delivery

4. Gary Ford - abbreviated Randy Ferbey delivery

5. Ron Manning

6. Dave Gerlach

7. Keith Kyle
8. Alfie Phillips, Jr.
9. ++++
10. ?>>

02-14-19 07:00AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

Well it's nice to see that age bias was overcome by one member on this forum and Brad Gushue gets a mention as best ever. After years and dozens if not hundreds of posts we saw the repetitive and illogical discounting of his success as somehow Russ Howard's brain.

Which conveniently overlooks his success in junior curling, and really good results in Brier after Brier and on the WCT.
Looks like "No Chance" Gushue has miraculously morphed into "Best Curler Ever Seen"

That's really super...

02-14-19 07:13AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

Incredible that a Brier win by team Gushue will tie the record held by the Ferbey foursome of back-to-back-to- back Brier championships. In a field that has arguably become much more competitive in recent years.

02-14-19 07:53AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

A Brier lock for Gushue is no guarantee. No team is going to hand him a win.

02-14-19 10:20AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Brad Gushue certainly received a turbo-boost from Russ Howard's brain - but he's cobbled together an amazing team in the last 10 years. Goo's strategy is impeccable, and unlike the great Jennifer Jones (hyper-aggressive strategy) Gushue can actually put rocks in the correct position on a near-routine basis, get nice opponent-tormenting rolls which Jennifer can no longer do. When JJ's rock positioning flubs up she's usually hooped for steals.

The amazing part of Gushue's success is that he's still under 40 - and in relatively good shape (don't know how much the hip injury still bothers him) - he's usually in good cheer vs. being perpetually despondent like Koe or Jones or in semi-rage like Homan.

This year is a tough field - all the top horses will be pegged for no more than 2 losses in the round-robin and that might be true considering the 2 blocks of teams.

However, the real Brier begins after the up seeds have made their play - no doubt we'll see The Big 5 in contention (Gushue, Koe, Jacobs, Botch or Epp, Caruso) with McDonald & Cotter, perhaps Muyres trying to punch their tickets.