W: Obihiro ICE Gold Cup
Obihiro, JPN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Jun 9 -- 1:00am ET
Tabata Final
Kawamura (8)
Ogihara Final
Nakagawa (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > U.S.A. Curling > Fixing Curling TV for the American Market

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-20-13 07:39AM
Willy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Willy Click here to Send Willy a Private Message Find more posts by Willy Add Willy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Willy
Drawmaster

8 ends

The game does not need more than eight ends the same top teams will still win! Mr JH will not all of a sudden become a National threat.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-20-13 11:42AM
rampal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rampal Click here to Send rampal a Private Message Find more posts by rampal Add rampal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rampal
Knee-Slider

Not everything has to be appealing to everyone in the world.

Curling trying to spruce itself up to gain viewers is like the doofus who puts on a maroon suit to go to the prom by himself. The popular kids still mock him, and at the end of the movie he discovers that his real friends like him just the way he is. The reason the average weekend football fan doesn't watch curling is because it's weird and uncomfortable for them, not because it has this or that little thing that needs changing.

I like watching ten-end games. Perhaps it takes a bit long, but I don't feel that eight-end games develop enough. Also keep in mind that a ten-end games has an odd number of games per half, so that in theory whoever starts without hammer at first, in the second half starts with it and has it in the even ends.

Taking away the hammer for blanking seems like a good idea, but I kind of think it should be done if you blank three in a row.

just the perspective of a happy fan...

11-20-13 12:29PM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

Since the topic is TV for US market, there is no need to change the game itself...change the telecast. Until the viewing public demands it live, show all games on a tape delay. Begin the telecast 1 hr after the actual beginning. That way you can control the length, eliminate televising multiple blank ends or any extended down time, including the 5th end break. Also affords the time to replay key shots and calls for second guessing. Sochi time zone, I believe, will require all curling on CNBC to be shown taped. I bet it turns out fine.

11-20-13 12:58PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Can't remember where I saw it but a lot of the curling from Sochi will be shown live. Lots of games shown in the wee hours of the morning.

11-20-13 01:43PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Even though it is killing me, I must disagree with Ram.

The Olympics have proven that hardcore sport fans will watch curling...in droves.

TV viewership is critical to our growth. Making concessions to TV seems wise to me...very wise. Shrinking to 8 ends looks like the best way to start.

Shrinking the time clocks doesn't need to be that severe. I think 62 minutes per team would be a good place to start...with two timeouts of one minute each (and a minute means a minute...no extra time for the coach to reach the ice).

Extra ends are the best for TV. We need to allow teams more time because it is extremely good television. I'm thinking no extra timeout (but you can bank one of your two should you wish), but 9 minutes per team...or give them 8 minutes and up to 2 minutes of time remaining from regulation.

Blowouts shouldn't be that big of a deal. Boxing worried about early knockouts for ever...and the TV people learned to deal with it.

Ben Tucker
Just some random thoughts

11-20-13 01:54PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Crazy weird question...

Since the introduction of FGZ...how often (if ever) has a meaningful game (By which I mean a National Championship, Euros, Worlds, or Olympics) NOT had either a stolen end or a deliberately blanked end?

This is why I ask...

9 ends.

still long enough that if you give up a 4 in the 2nd, the 2-1-2-1-2-1-2 trade through the rest gets you a win, so a team doesn't have to go insane mode to catch up (thereby probably reducing the number of 4 end blowouts, since my feeling is that most are caused by a team that gave up a 4 or 5 early going full "OMG GAMBLE!" in an attempt to get back in the game), while short enough that the game can fit into a shorter time block.

The counter argument would be "But uneven numbers of ends with the hammer!!" to which I would posit either how often has it actually stayed "on shot" through an entire game?

11-21-13 12:39PM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I really dont want to see the brier, scotties and worlds moved to 8 ends..although i fear its inevitable. Your right 10 ends gives a team that gives a 4 in the 2nd end still plenty of time to recover. It might not seem like alot but those 2 extra ends make a world of difference.
If they were switched to 8 ends we would see alot of really lopsided scores like we do in the cash tour season and that wouldnt be good for anyone

Though I prefer 10 as well, looking at historical Win Expectancy, 8 or 10 really doesn't show any significant difference in terms of outcome.. I wrote about this here.

http://curlwithmath.blogspot.ca/200...for-hammer.html

Excerpt:

The Odds of winning at the completion of each end during the Early game is nearly equal.

This is a fascinating discovery that not only explains why the Early Game doesn’t end until 6 ends remain in the game, but supports the theory that an 8 end game is competitively equal to a 10 end game. If you extrapolate the numbers, we might be even safe in assuming 12 ends or even 14 would also have the same outcome. The only benefit of a longer game (other than perhaps more beverage sales to the fans) is that the more ends played, the greater advantage a stronger team will have over a weaker team. The analysis behind that theory is not the purpose of this discussion, so back to where we were…

12-09-13 11:18AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Frykenstein
Agreed. One of the things I like about curling is that it's a game of touch and finesse--of feeling and judgment. No doubt, using a stopwatch effectively is an acquired skill, but it's not--IMO--a curling skill. It's a bit like Rodney Dangerfield's putter in Caddyshack--too much technology, not enough humanity.

No doubt I (and my trusty hair broom) am in the minority on this!

mf

Stopwatches don't bother me on the ice. A watch can be a great tool to learn what is going on on the ice--or it can be an excessively clingy and erroneous crutch. The top teams are really using them more to read the ice and give the shooter an idea of the weight for a draw and then they are using their Mark I eyeballs anyway. As they should.

At the club level, you have your watch-watchers who declare the rock is "all there" right after release and then never follow the stone down the ice, watching it grind in 5 feet short. Then show disbelief that the rock should defy the watch. The same watch-watchers also think that the same 3.90 split will be tee-line on every ice path. For the whole game. Sigh. Some nights you want to break the watches or take them away. Even my own teams that use the watch well sometimes just put them in their pockets on a bad night or quirky ice.

However, I personally think the watch can really aid team ice-reading, and can be a terrific learning tool for weight judgement for newer curlers. Of course, we all know that the watch is useless if your teammates or opposition have lousy or fiddly releases, etc. Like any tool, it can be used right or it can be used wrong.

Cheers.

12-16-13 05:11PM
scorer79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scorer79 Click here to Send scorer79 a Private Message Find more posts by scorer79 Add scorer79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scorer79
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Another change I believe will come up at the WCF. Second blank end in a row will lose hammer. Can't just be one, there is the "accidental" blank occasionally (says the guy who played 13 ends).

So why don't they just do that after one blank end? It would certainly shake up strategy and move teams to a more aggressive style.

Understandably that'll slow games down, but if you move to 8 ends, it could be a good deterrent that hasn't really been discussed.

12-16-13 05:57PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Not sure if forcing a change in hammer in a blank end would have the desired effect you're seeking . The team without hammer would have less incentive to play any kind of aggressive shots to try and force a team to score one in a tight game.

You would see the teams with hammer play more aggressive, but likely run into a similar rock control game you see now that makes the game even more simplistic. If the team without hammer is a strong hitting team like we see now, one double and they'd be able to force the team with hammer to have to score 1 or give up the hammer.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

12-17-13 01:58PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Speaking of TV:

Thursday night on NBCSports will be the recap of The Olympic Qualifier for Fussen. Cheer Face and Da Boyz all over again.

Tuck

12-17-13 03:00PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

And there will a daily 3 hour show on CNBC for the Olys along with live streaming.

Last month, the NBC announced that CNBC will carry 36 hours of Olympic curling coverage while MSNBC hosts 45 hours of live curling and hockey, including medal rounds. USA Network serves up 43 hours of live curling and hockey coverage, including medal rounds.

It was also announced that NBCOlympics.com plans to live stream all Sochi Olympics competition. The vast majority of live streaming will only be available to authenticated cable, satellite or telco customers via “TV Everywhere.”