M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-16-15 04:14PM
OrangeKing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OrangeKing Click here to Send OrangeKing a Private Message Find more posts by OrangeKing Add OrangeKing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OrangeKing
Knee-Slider

That also suggests they have nothing to do with the new EQ broom/pads that are publicly available, which is good to know.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-16-15 04:22PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeKing
That also suggests they have nothing to do with the new EQ broom/pads that are publicly available, which is good to know.

Yup, they don't. See the press release in my next post.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

10-16-15 04:33PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Balance Plus fires back with a press release of their own:

http://www.balanceplus.com/press101615.htm

So, Balance Plus claims that they released the "blackhead" pads to stay competitive with other teams also using "directional" pads.

They don't say it outright, but clearly imply Hardline IcePads in their statement. They also clearly are referring to Brad Gushue in regards to the "one sweeper" remarks.

Hardline says their IcePads don't use this fabric and that they're being targeted.

Obviously both parties want to protect their business interests. Hardline also has more to lose here as their whole business is built around the IcePad.

I do know that one thing is for certain, both parties can't be 100% correct here. Their statements contradict one another. Someone, and again I'm not sure who, is either being less-than-truthful or outright lying.

This is getting uglier and uglier.

Last edited by Phil_D on 10-16-15 at 04:37PM

10-16-15 04:49PM
shaqdaddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaqdaddy Click here to Send shaqdaddy a Private Message Find more posts by shaqdaddy Add shaqdaddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

This is starting to stink....BP sponsored Howard uses new Blackhead at StuSells and does not like what he sees and is vocal how it's too dramatic which leads to HL BEING put in that category of "directional material". Examples people have seen involve same BP broom. Our ice maker who curls Ont tour, has said HL is easier on the ice and has not heard otherwise-he doesn't use HL. THEN BL claims it was never to be sold.....elite teams band together (admirable but...)...and suddenly HL teams have to reverse their head covers to comply??? Read HL press release. What is directional material? HL SAYS they do not use that. Nobody has been specific on what brands are being referenced in all these apparent horror stories. This is not passing the smell test to anyone being objective here. YES standards needed but something is missing to this story. I see HL getting hooped big time.

10-16-15 07:23PM
farmcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for farmcurl Click here to Send farmcurl a Private Message Find more posts by farmcurl Add farmcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
farmcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

So what company was Gushue using when he started this controversy? I see he is sponsored by Goldline so was he using their new head or was it the icepad?

10-16-15 07:30PM
mcderm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcderm Click here to Send mcderm a Private Message Find more posts by mcderm Add mcderm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcderm
Harvey Hacksmasher

To you folks at Hardline, this fiasco may just open up a new business opportunity for you...there may be a need for an honest dedicated company to provide quality curling footwear to curlers who can see through smoke and mirrors.

10-16-15 07:36PM
shaqdaddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaqdaddy Click here to Send shaqdaddy a Private Message Find more posts by shaqdaddy Add shaqdaddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Sponsored by GL and apparently uses no GL products. Started using Ice Pad this season. What he started doing is using one sweeper at a time, one for line, one for once curl started.

10-16-15 07:37PM
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by farmcurl
So what company was Gushue using when he started this controversy? I see he is sponsored by Goldline so was he using their new head or was it the icepad?

10-16-15 07:41PM
farmcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for farmcurl Click here to Send farmcurl a Private Message Find more posts by farmcurl Add farmcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
farmcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

That is shady use a non sponsor product. Make Hardline look bad all while getting a paycheck from Goldline.

10-16-15 08:42PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by farmcurl
That is shady use a non sponsor product. Make Hardline look bad all while getting a paycheck from Goldline.

Gushue was not using a non-sponsor product, as Hardline started sponsoring them back in September. It was a big deal and a big announcement from Hardline. It was all over their Facebook and Twitter pages back then.

There is no mention of Hardline on Team Gushue's website, and Goldline is listed as a sponsor. That could mean that they hadn't updated their website after the switch though...some sections of the website haven't been updated in years so this is entirely possible.

Conversely, pictures/stories/etc of Team Gushue are still found all over Hardline's website and their Twitter/Facebook. I see no pictures or mention of Gushue on the Goldline website.

If Gushue is no longer sponsored by Hardline and is sponsored by Goldline again, it just happened this week. I honestly don't know though.

10-16-15 08:58PM
farmcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ok, that is good to know. I was going by their website.

10-16-15 09:03PM
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

My understanding is the HL TEAMS will use the Icepad with head cover reversed (????) so as to be "compliant" with the Elite teams agreement re directional material being used. No evidence that the HL head can mimic the BL Frankenbrush.

10-16-15 09:11PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Let me see if I've got the facts straight. Two Canadian companies produced a variety of broom fabrics deliberately designed to allow sweepers to make stones slow down, fall or curl more thanks to "directional" fabric and legal corner sweeping. These fabrics might or might not harm the ice. Some but not all elite curlers used these fabrics on the quiet for almost 1.5 years (!) until a Howard blew the whistle when he didn't have access to the best fabric. Canada's "Own the Podium" project and all the curling scientists and studies from that effort are dead silent. And the Euro university (Uppsala?) which weighed in on the wet/dry friction debate is also silent.

So.... are we now stuck doing our own grammar school science fair projects or getting just marketing hype to sort this out or will those university scientists get to work and publish their results?

Meanwhile, a pox on all fabric brooms for elite play to avoid the "black arts" fabrics until WCF can sort out rules for fair play. Make them curl with corn or hair. Maybe then broom manufacturers will solve the old hair and straw debris problems before the university scientists much less WCF figures this out.

10-16-15 09:13PM
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

BTW check how many sponsor teams DON't wear the shoes. Logo on TV is the key. Gushue wore Ashams for years while Goldline poster boy and J Jones who is in the TV ad for Goldlines new Quantum shoe, continues to wear Asham. Jacobs are GL team, also in shoe ad and are now putting sliders on Nike training shoes.

10-16-15 09:14PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by shaqdaddy
My understanding is the HL TEAMS will use the Icepad with head cover reversed (????) so as to be "compliant" with the Elite teams agreement re directional material being used. No evidence that the HL head can mimic the BL Frankenbrush.

Yup, that's what they're doing. Hardline maintains that the IcePad doesn't even use this type of material, but they're doing this lest their teams be called into question.

No, there isn't. Just hearsay and conjecture.

I don't know if an IcePad can do what has been claimed. I don't know if it's made out of questionable material. Hardline claims it isn't, Balance Plus infers that it is. Obviously neither side is going to be completely objective in this regard, their business interests are involved.

What I do know is that clearly there needs to be independent unbiased testing of some kind to determine what products can and can't do these things.

10-16-15 09:20PM
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

HL PREZ Archie to be on National tonight. Redo BP Frankenbrush test w HL, no chance it is the same result. Witch hunt.

10-16-15 09:32PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Alice
Let me see if I've got the facts straight. Two Canadian companies produced a variety of broom fabrics deliberately designed to allow sweepers to make stones slow down, fall or curl more thanks to "directional" fabric and legal corner sweeping. These fabrics might or might not harm the ice. Some but not all elite curlers used these fabrics on the quiet for almost 1.5 years (!) until a Howard blew the whistle when he didn't have access to the best fabric.

Balance Plus did for sure, and came right out and said that they did so to make a point. Howard not only had access, he was one of the ones using the material at the Stu Sells in Toronto. He didn't blow any whistle, other than afterwards to say that he used said brush heads to make a point, won't use them anymore, and nobody else should either. Balance Plus maintains that they did so because other teams had an unfair advantage with material they were using, had been doing so for some time, and that they wanted to call attention to it while allowing their teams to compete on the same level.

It has been inferred that Hardline uses such material. They claim they don't and that they are being targeted. Their assertion is that Balance Plus did what they did knowing that in the backlash Hardline's IcePad would be lumped in with the so-called "blackhead" from Balance Plus and therefore be banned, essentially running Hardline out of business.

I'm not saying that this is what happened with Hardline, but this is essentially what they are saying happened. As for Balance Plus, we know that's what happened because they said so themselves.

Like I've said time and time again, NO manufacturer is going to be able to be completely objective in this matter.

I don't know if Hardline IcePads use "directional" material, or if they're capable of doing what the Balance Plus "blackpads" are capable of doing (as evidenced by the videos that Balance Plus themselves released).

quote:
Canada's "Own the Podium" project and all the curling scientists and studies from that effort are dead silent. And the Euro university (Uppsala?) which weighed in on the wet/dry friction debate is also silent.

So.... are we now stuck doing our own grammar school science fair projects or getting just marketing hype to sort this out or will those university scientists get to work and publish their results?

I agree wholeheartedly. Independent, unbiased testing needs to be done.

Look, like I said, for all I know the IcePad is made out of a fabric that should be banned. But, I don't think Balance Plus should be the one to make that decision. No manufacturer should.

10-16-15 09:36PM
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

You are assuming someone wakes up CCA & WCF.

10-16-15 09:54PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Phil_D, Thanks for sorting me out on the Howard facts. So, he did have access to a "best" fabric, did use it in competition, and did rat himself out. I'd like to award him The Golden Rink Rat Trophy.

shaqdaddy, Aren't all curlers eternal optomists? We do play a game on ice afterall.

I wonder how many broom suppliers will put on an email blast offering discounts on hair and corn brooms. Hmmmm... any carbon fiber handles for any hair brooms on the market yet?

10-16-15 10:07PM
shaqdaddy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Alice how true!

Ice Pad sales will continue to grow as there is nothing shown to be wrong w them. Balance Plus Frankenbrush has never been on sale and never will. Use what YOU like and let others mess around. Using an Ice Pad will get in your opponents' head!

10-16-15 10:38PM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Phil_D, Thanks for sorting me out on the Howard facts. So, he did have access to a "best" fabric, did use it in competition, and did rat himself out. I'd like to award him The Golden Rink Rat Trophy.

shaqdaddy, Aren't all curlers eternal optomists? We do play a game on ice afterall.

I wonder how many broom suppliers will put on an email blast offering discounts on hair and corn brooms. Hmmmm... any carbon fiber handles for any hair brooms on the market yet?

Sure thing.

Ha ha ha, I don't think so. Maybe one of us should get on that and corner the market? I have a friend who works for Gill/Porter and has worked with carbon fiber for pole vault poles, I'm sure he could apply what he knows to a curling broom shaft. Who's in?

10-17-15 12:20AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Story on CBC's "The National" tonight. Forward to about 21:00:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/ID/2677212144/

Nothing really new was said by anybody. Just posting in case anyone wanted to see it.

10-17-15 03:05AM
Alice
Swing Artist

The dilemna of materials testing for fabric brushes for elite matches -- I don't see a quick way to resolve this unless all fabric brushes are banned until each model passes a neutral testing lab. Otherwise, it's too easy to slip in a banned fabric. We''ll have to have random spot checks like drug checks. Officials will need magnifying lenses to inspect brush fabric. Until then, imagine the competitors freaked out thinking "what if" their competitors are using a banned fabric.

Meanwhile, I checked out corn brooms and their history. (Lots of custom Harry Potter fan "broomstick" possibilities online as well as nonmagical makers who might be willing to use a carbon fiber stick.) 'Twould seem the "round broom" is the most common and ancient in our sport. Originally twigs, later corn. Flat brooms didn't come in until the 1800's and brushes even more recently. If a round corn or twig broom gets banned for damaging the ice surface more than the magic fabric, I'd say then its open season on any fabrics because the game has used those corn and twig brooms centuries longer than any fabric brushes.

Yes, I'm advocating one simple test: how much ice damage do 2 good sweepers do with old round corn or twig brooms v. the best of the fabrics? I will bet the corn or twig brooms do more damage than any of the current fabrics.

10-17-15 03:31AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

Gushue was not using a non-sponsor product, as Hardline started sponsoring them back in September. It was a big deal and a big announcement from Hardline. It was all over their Facebook and Twitter pages back then.

There is no mention of Hardline on Team Gushue's website, and Goldline is listed as a sponsor. That could mean that they hadn't updated their website after the switch though...some sections of the website haven't been updated in years so this is entirely possible.

Conversely, pictures/stories/etc of Team Gushue are still found all over Hardline's website and their Twitter/Facebook. I see no pictures or mention of Gushue on the Goldline website.

If Gushue is no longer sponsored by Hardline and is sponsored by Goldline again, it just happened this week. I honestly don't know though.

I did some checking, and Brad Gushue is still sponsored by Hardline. In case anyone was wondering.

10-17-15 03:37AM
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
The dilemna of materials testing for fabric brushes for elite matches -- I don't see a quick way to resolve this unless all fabric brushes are banned until each model passes a neutral testing lab. Otherwise, it's too easy to slip in a banned fabric. We''ll have to have random spot checks like drug checks. Officials will need magnifying lenses to inspect brush fabric. Until then, imagine the competitors freaked out thinking "what if" their competitors are using a banned fabric.

Meanwhile, I checked out corn brooms and their history. (Lots of custom Harry Potter fan "broomstick" possibilities online as well as nonmagical makers who might be willing to use a carbon fiber stick.) 'Twould seem the "round broom" is the most common and ancient in our sport. Originally twigs, later corn. Flat brooms didn't come in until the 1800's and brushes even more recently. If a round corn or twig broom gets banned for damaging the ice surface more than the magic fabric, I'd say then its open season on any fabrics because the game has used those corn and twig brooms centuries longer than any fabric brushes.

Yes, I'm advocating one simple test: how much ice damage do 2 good sweepers do with old round corn or twig brooms v. the best of the fabrics? I will bet the corn or twig brooms do more damage than any of the current fabrics.

Yeah, if it comes to that it's going to be tricky to say the least.

Interesting...I bet you're right. Not to mention all the crap they leave behind.