M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-23-16 06:58PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

We'll have a pretty good idea tonight-she's playing Japan on Sheet "A". Russia's playing Switzerland on Sheet "B".

Russia's last 2 games are against Germany and Denmark. Either team can jump up and bite, but neither can make the playoffs. The German collapse was rather dramatic.

It's now over for Erika. They dropped their game to Japan 7-4 while the Russians defeated the Swiss 6-3. We now have 4 teams with 2 losses plus Russia with 3-the field is officially separated.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-23-16 at 11:52PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-23-16 11:54PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

USA has lost to top 4 teams and to a team now with the same record as USA. I guess we are just about where we belong in the standings -- right near the middle.

03-23-16 11:55PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

No miracle on ice for the our neighbors from the south. the only surprizes are Japan and Sweden. And, maybe Canada, if they don't make the playoffs.

Last edited by guido on 03-24-16 at 12:22AM

03-24-16 12:17AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

toast

03-24-16 01:38AM
curlinglove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlinglove Find more posts by curlinglove Add curlinglove to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlinglove
Harvey Hacksmasher

Angry Loss to Japan

I'm so mad they lost to Japan! Japan is a good team, but I was hoping USA would keep the wins rolling. I guess this means their chances of the playoffs are over?

03-24-16 08:05AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Yes, officially and mathematically.

The best record the US could hope for would be 6-5.

There are 4 teams who already have 7 wins, and a 5th at 6-3.

5th place is mathematically possible. Some sort of tie for 6th is likely.

And those places matter for Olympic Qualification. This year is the first of the two where you get points. The top 7 teams in points after next year's Worlds qualify for the Olympics automatically (plus Korea as host).

The remaining two slots are filled via a qualifying event, which USA has already qualified for (by being in Worlds at least once since 2014).

The point system is weighted towards the medalists, but the way the math works, if you place Top 5 both years, it's mathematically impossible for you to be worse than 7th. 6th one year and 5th in the other *should* do it as well.

So 5th place matters. Fortunately, Team USA finishes out against two other eliminated teams, so two wins to place 5th or 6th is an achievable goal.

03-24-16 08:25AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Team USA looked "long in the tooth" last night.

Time for a new generation.

03-24-16 08:42AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

They're coming....I'm just not sure if they'll be ready for 2018 (lord knows the HPP wants them to be...).

03-24-16 09:51AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
They're coming....I'm just not sure if they'll be ready for 2018 (lord knows the HPP wants them to be...).

Three of the four Women's World Junior silver medalists will age out.

I wonder who will be added to this team? Persinger and Haag were the other HP leads. Haag was Christensen's lead the year before so there should be no guessing on compatibility.

Should be interesting.

03-24-16 11:04AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Dang it. We sent a good team to field that they could normally handle. I'm bummed that it didn't work out.

I hope they finish strong and get the Olympic Qualifying points.

I'm a bit dismayed about how quickly we are ready to dump these curlers and promote our Juniors. Erika handled them fairly easily in Jacksonville. Perhaps the Junior team will be ready to medal when the next Olympics come around, but they're not ready for this yet. Don't forget that Erika and her team were the best at Nationals...by a long way.

On the other hand, this Women's World does help clarify my thinking on the direction our HPP should take. If the Swiss do well at Men's Nationals (on their home ice), I will start screaming that we copy their programs.

Ben Tucker

03-24-16 11:26AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Dang it.

I'm a bit dismayed about how quickly we are ready to dump these curlers and promote our Juniors. Don't forget that Erika and her team were the best at Nationals...by a long way.

Ben Tucker

Which, unforetunately doesnt say much for the immediate future of American curling. The European and Asian improvements the last 10 years has been amazing. especially the asians. Meanwhile North America is falling short. Moreso with the USA. Saying that, anything short of gold for Canada has always been seen as a failure, the same as this year.

03-24-16 11:36AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Dang it is right. I really thought this was the year. I'm not throwing this team under the bus, but 2 years is a long way off. We were one deep draw from winning this game I believe. I bet there are only two or three shots that kept them out, but several teams will be able to say that when all is done.

Japan just laid three on Scotland in the first. Maybe we should be copying there program.

I think what we really need to do is find a J.D. Lind, he has that Japanese team on fire.

03-24-16 11:37AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Don't lose sight of the fact that some Asian/European teams are true professionals and all they do is curl. They have funds to curl and live in North America and play all the best teams on a regular basis, including having top NA coaches.

03-24-16 11:46AM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

biterbar..

where are you seeing the linescores for the Japan v Scotland game?

03-24-16 11:50AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by ellejay
biterbar..

where are you seeing the linescores for the Japan v Scotland game?

Watching it. 5-1 Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mnDXRdi3es

03-24-16 12:26PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Japan 9-3 currently over Scotland. Not a contest on who the best team is for this game. Making them look like league curlers with that 4 ender.

03-24-16 12:38PM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

Seems like Japan was underrated coming into this event. Everyone had Russia, Canada and Scotland in some order as the medalists, with fourth place up for grabs. Japan looks fantastic right now.

03-24-16 12:49PM
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Japan = Robots

03-24-16 01:14PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AK267
Japan = Robots

Robots? They have more personality than the rest of the potential playoff teams put together.

03-24-16 03:16PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

An interesting standings board! Seeing Japan on top now shows it's a new world. Depth of field... impact of Olympics in Asian countries in past and near future...

For the US, I suspect the HPP is freaking at this moment about world rank with the boogy-man of maybe having to fight through a qualification round to get to the 2018 Games. I wish HPP would just give total support today to our National Champion team as it faces Sweden. "Just another" game on the ice, even keel, and not some gotta-win-it or "we" have an excuse to dicker with how our national team is selected. Our best ladies team __ on ice __ is at worlds. Huzzah! Go ladies!!!

03-24-16 04:46PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I made a comment about the age of Team USA...I'm not trying to be funny and in no way insulting, but Erika's rink would make a great Senior team.

Just food for thought...

03-24-16 04:59PM
curlinglove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlinglove Find more posts by curlinglove Add curlinglove to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlinglove
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
I made a comment about the age of Team USA...I'm not trying to be funny and in no way insulting, but Erika's rink would make a great Senior team.

Just food for thought...

Fair point, though I think Erica and Allison might be the only teammates 50 or older.

03-24-16 05:54PM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlinglove

Fair point, though I think Erica and Allison might be the only teammates 50 or older.

Whoa, settle down. Neither of them are even in their mid 40s yet.

03-24-16 06:32PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh, Jimbo! Stay out the USA threads! You're going to get yourself killed! Not a jury in any of our 50 states would convict. Dear God, man. I hope none of the curlers and none of their families read this crap.

I'm not throwing this team under the bus. I remain a believer. I hope they come back in the Champions and prove themselves all over again.

If they finish strong at Worlds (leading Finland as I type), they will be midpack and garner our nation valuable Olympic Qualifying Points. For that, we should all be thankful. Does their game belong on the medal stand? Yes, I think so for most weeks...but not this week. This seems to be Japan's week.

And this Brown team does have stuff to play for. After dominating Nationals, a decent showing at Worlds solidifies HPP status for next year if they want it. These last two games are big.

For those jealous of Japan and hungry for immediate medals: Don't ever forget...we are the only nation in the world with significant growth in curling. I suggest that you keep your eyes firmly fixed on the real gold medal.

Ben Tucker

03-24-16 06:45PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

USA shakes a dominant win over Finland to be at 5-5 (crushing those predictions of "struggling to 4-7" from certain unnamed cannucks...) and in a tie for 6th with Korea (who they beat Head to Head, so I *believe* we will get the higher placement for OQP's if we end up tied).

Denmark could also climb into that tie if they manage to win their game (down 1 in the 10th as I type). We lost to Denmark, who lost to Korea, so that 3-way tie would come down to LSD, as I understand it.

So anything from 6th to 9th is possible. A win against Sweden would clinch at least 7th....7th is key....6th would be better...unfortunately, Sweden is playing for the same stakes, more or less.

Game's on NBCSN at 9PM Eastern....watch it to see what happens...I'm gonna be