M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Schopp vs Nordby- who is greater

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-08-13 09:54PM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

Schopp vs Nordby- who is greater

I could see my last post going off topic so I am starting a new thread to compare the two. Which of these veteran (one now retired, one still kicking and out there) 2 time World Champs is the greater skip and player. I would say Schopp is. She has 2 World titles, 5 World medals, and Olympic Gold. Norby has 2 World titles, 11 World medals, and Olympic Silver. However Schopp has 7 European titles to only 2 for Nordby. This is the huge difference for me. When comparing 2 European teams who played forever, the gap between 5 extra European titles and an Olympic Gold is worth more than 6 extra non Gold World medals IMO. Also Schopp did what she did with less support. Nordby had a team that stayed together a long time, and were all strong players and a cohesive unit. Schopp mostly had mediocre teammates, and an ever changing lineup, and carried her team and herself to all her success. She is also a superior overall shotmaker to Norby, a MUCH better hitter, while being equally mentally tough. Nordby is defnitely the smarter skip, better strategist, and better team player though.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-09-13 01:59AM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

Oh I agree Wagner was a good and very underrated player despite her strange delivery. However she was the only constant (or semi constant since she took breaks from the team, probably due to not being able to tolerate the tempermental Schopp any longer). There were a few other strong players that were there only for blips. Schopp's teammates were an ever revolving door, and many of them were not that strong for elite international standards.

04-09-13 08:00AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

I would vote for Dordi. Yes she won less but I think she also had a greater level of consistancy throughout her career who, unlike Andrea bounced around a hell of alot. You might attirubte that to the fact that Andrea did change her line up alot but then you have to stop and ask yourself why that happened. We might never know truly but part of it has to be on Andrea for never being able to keep a successful team for a long enough period of time.

I think what I give credit for Dordi for is knowing when it was time to stop. Dordi had a long and successful career and even late into it she was earning medals at the worlds. However when the time came that she no longer could compete at the top level she stepped down whereas Andrea just keeps going even though its obvious she's not a top level anymore. Part of me admires that she wants to keep going and that she has the passion for the sport even now but part of me also thinks she's only hurting her reputation and legacy by sticking around and having these mediocre results.

I would also argue that Dordi has technically superior teamn. Yes her team lasted onger together but Inever thought of teams she had as technically great in skill. There are several team line ups Andrea had that could have been considered technically better

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

04-09-13 10:08AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

I think it's a close call, but I'm going to make the argument against Schopp, because I think she's a bit overrated. First, I find an Olympic gold in a demonstration event, where she played all of five games to be not worth all that much. This is particularly true considering her poor 4 and 12 record in legit Olympic events.

She has only medalled five times in 19 world appearances with a 110-91 career record (the world curling federation site has useful historical results pages). Again, I find this to be rather unimpressive. Dordi's record is 127-72 and she medalled over half the time she appeared at the worlds.

Andrea's European record is impressive and, indeed, better than Dordi's. But, it is the only part of her case I find compelling.

04-09-13 11:08AM
Unregistered

Lets just agree that both of them are amazing women, legends of the game.

In my oppinion they are about equal. Dordi's world record trumps Andrea's but Andrea has a far better European record. The deciding event might be the Olympics and while neither one was stellar there Dordi actually has the slightly better record and has made the playoffs at least once.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.163.53.10

04-09-13 01:03PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Getting out of germany to go to Euros is akin to Gushue getting out of NL. Also Germany has 6 more appearances when Norby had retired.

04-09-13 04:05PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Getting out of germany to go to Euros is akin to Gushue getting out of NL. Also Germany has 6 more appearances when Norby had retired.

Yeah but thats the thing. When Dordi stopped being able to compete at the top level she retired . I am sure that, if she wanted to she could still be around today but she'd but just like Andrea. Finsihing near the bottom of the standings all the time and having people talk about how she really should retire.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

04-10-13 02:23AM
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

The thing to remember is Schopp shocked the heck of everyone and had a great season in 2010 when she was already supposed to be long washed up, winning Europeans over a really strong field, and then winning Worlds. That was too long ago, and is probably why she is still out there. That might have given her some false sense of hope when in reality it was a last hurrah (or should have been).