M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > World Men's Curling Chmpshp 2016

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-09-16 03:34PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

In rules for Officiated play

10 (3)(c) If a moving stone is touched, or is caused to be touched, by an external force, all stones are allowed to come to rest and then placed where they would have come to rest if the incident had not occurred. If the teams cannot agree, the stone is redelivered after all displaced stones have been replaced to their original positions. The player will redeliver the same called shot and ice. If agreement on the original positions cannot be reached, the end is replayed.

the rock that hit the barrier is out of play so by coming back into the field of play is an external force. There is no non offending team option, if both teams don't agree then the shot is replayed.

The same rule is in the WCF rulebook.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-09-16 03:39PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

having just seen the highlights now i honestly dont see how anyone could think that yellow was staying in if the red hadnt bounced back and hit it. was going out for sure

04-09-16 03:40PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I'm looking at Stjerne, with his enthusiasm & attitude and I'm thinking "There's a young Danish Kevin Martin".

I like the kid's enthusiasm.

04-09-16 03:44PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
In rules for Officiated play

10 (3)(c) If a moving stone is touched, or is caused to be touched, by an external force, all stones are allowed to come to rest and then placed where they would have come to rest if the incident had not occurred. If the teams cannot agree, the stone is redelivered after all displaced stones have been replaced to their original positions. The player will redeliver the same called shot and ice. If agreement on the original positions cannot be reached, the end is replayed.

the rock that hit the barrier is out of play so by coming back into the field of play is an external force. There is no non offending team option, if both teams don't agree then the shot is replayed.

The same rule is in the WCF rulebook.

I remember a situation in Sofia in 2004 Europeans (Trulsen vs Sebastian Stock) Hit Truls's foot. Replayed the end. TV Crew was involved. Quite the thing.

04-09-16 03:45PM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

I just wish he would take his whistle and shove it where the sun does not shine.

04-09-16 04:05PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Beermaker
I just wish he would take his whistle and shove it where the sun does not shine.

id be interested in knowing when stjerne decided to start whistling. i remember ulsrus did a couple times

04-09-16 04:10PM
chinabar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chinabar Find more posts by chinabar Add chinabar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chinabar
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Beermaker
That could be anywhere in Basel since it has been raining all week.

04-09-16 04:11PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
having just seen the highlights now i honestly dont see how anyone could think that yellow was staying in if the red hadnt bounced back and hit it. was going out for sure

You looked at it without any bias, kudos. I was actually cheering for the U.S. as I think Shuster has paid his dues and had a great week. But as a curling fan, like you, I know what I saw.

04-09-16 04:15PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Lots of people agree with you. Unfortunately, lots of people disagree with you on this call. We will never know which group is right. Too bad it happened this way and had such an impact on the game.

04-09-16 04:27PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: On the Jam & In Call

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Nice try by Japan to execute a fether fether double but they end up jamming on the side.

Here's my view.

1. Japan had responsibility for catching 'boarded stone' before it moved back into play.

2. Outcome of jammed stone coming back to give USA stone a bit of extra momentum resulted in a biter for USA and draw for go-ahead 3rd point.

3. Even if Japan extracts boarded stone - result is inconclusive - in my eyes prolly a 65% chance USA stone sticks around anyways. Thus, in outcome 1 - with the boarded stone affecting rock its 100% USA ---- outcome 2 is unknown but film shots indicate 67% chance jammed stone stays!

4. USA has total decision making ability on call - - - - and I think correct decision made!

Once again your %'s are off. From the looks of things most observers are saying that the rock was going out. One thing a casual observer like yourself might not understand, is the spin of the rock. When a rock hits the bottom half of a rock like it did, its gonna spin away from the house. As someone cheering for the Americans, i thought that rock was clearly going out.

Difficult situation. I hate that the Americans were the ones with the final decision. Let an umpire make the decision. I don't think Japan should be penalized for not stopping the stone. I also think that the non throwing team should make an attempt to help in these situations or atleast be mindful. You can't expect the third to not only sweep rocks out but to prevent ones from hitting the boards.

04-09-16 04:32PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

Lots of people agree with you. Unfortunately, lots of people disagree with you on this call. We will never know which group is right. Too bad it happened this way and had such an impact on the game.

The fact that the rules were not followed and the USA skip did not have the right to place.the rock as he did means neither group is right.

just using the rules to show this, in officiated play rule 14(3) states a stone that touches the sideline, hits a divider or comes to rest biting the sideline shall be removed immediately from play. Therefore when the rock hits the foam it is immediately out of play. A stone that is out of play can not be allowed to influence rocks that are in play so it is classed as an external force and rule 10 (3)(c) comes into play

pretty cut and dried

Last edited by dugless_zone 13 on 04-09-16 at 05:00PM

04-09-16 05:12PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

After watchign in super slo mo, I think that it would likley have stuck. But it seems as though this is how the situation shoudl have transpired on the ice.

SHuster say it sticks, it would be his right. Then Japan skip can agree, or disagree. If disagree, then official should have applied the rule:

"10 (3)(c) If a moving stone is touched, or is caused to be touched, by an external force, all stones are allowed to come to rest and then placed where they would have come to rest if the incident had not occurred. If the teams cannot agree, the stone is redelivered after all displaced stones have been replaced to their original positions. The player will redeliver the same called shot and ice. If agreement on the original positions cannot be reached, the end is replayed."

So one of 2 things happened. Either Japan skip agreed with shuster ultimately, or, no one reazlied that skips disagree and should have rethrown. If the latter, then I blame the official for not stepping in for interpretation. I dont see that Shuster did anything wrong in his saying. Again as I started with, I think it would have stuck, and this is coming from someone who admittidely has been very critical of Shuster for a while, so I feel this is not a biased opinion.

04-09-16 05:25PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

It's not so clear to me that a rock bouncing off the barrier is actually an "external force" that should be treated 10(3)(c) or some equivalent.

Traditionally teams are expected to be in control of the results of their own shots. Traditionally an "external force" is a person or object not otherwise involved in the game.

04-09-16 05:29PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

It's not so clear to me that a rock bouncing off the barrier is actually an "external force" that should be treated 10(3)(c) or some equivalent.

a rock that hits the sideline is immediately out of play, not when it stops moving, and can not be allowed to influence rocks still in play. Once that rock hits the sideline it no longer exists in that field of play. It becomes an outside or "external force"

There is no way the two teams would have agreed with Johns placement of the rock so ultimately the rock should have been re-thrown. Ignorance of the rules does not give a player the right to break them.

Last edited by dugless_zone 13 on 04-09-16 at 05:32PM

04-09-16 05:30PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Interesting interpretations on what constitutes an External Force. There are rules that govern rocks bouncing off the sideboard, but they only apply to any stationary stones affected, not a moving stone.

It sounds like the rules need some clarification on this situation.

Last edited by Guest on 04-09-16 at 05:33PM

04-09-16 06:14PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

It's not really much of an interpretation, pretty cut and dry. A rock that touches the sideline is out of play immediately and a rock that is out of play can not influence the path of a rock that is in play. As soon as that rock came back into the field of play and touched the yellow rock 10(3)(c) came into play.

04-09-16 06:28PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
It's not really much of an interpretation, pretty cut and dry. A rock that touches the sideline is out of play immediately and a rock that is out of play can not influence the path of a rock that is in play. As soon as that rock came back into the field of play and touched the yellow rock 10(3)(c) came into play.

The rules actually define an External Force as, An occurrence not caused by either team.

I would not consider the rock coming off the boards as such, since one of the teams is responsible for dealing with said rock.

So, I still think the rules need to clarify the situation that happened today.

Last edited by Guest on 04-09-16 at 06:33PM

04-09-16 06:54PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

I agree with "Guest" on this. The rock is not an external force any more than a chunk of rubber from your slider or a hair from your jacket falling in front of a rock is. How often do you see someone claiming that either of these 'external forces' caused their shot to veer off and they therefore are permitted a 'do-over'? Never. An external force is pigeon poop dropping from the rafters at the Ottawa arena causing a rock to pick. That's an external force and a do-over would be permitted.

04-09-16 06:54PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

"I would not consider the rock coming off the boards as such, since one of the teams is responsible for dealing with said rock."

where in the rule book does it say you are supposed to catch rocks? A simple example to illustrate this is to imagine where that rock would have ended up in your curling club, most likely back four foot of the sheet next to you since there are most likely no sideboards. That rock would have continued on in the direction it was traveling, out of play , had it not been redirected back onto the playing surface by an artificial barrier. It is no different than a rock from another sheet entering that playing surface.

Last edited by dugless_zone 13 on 04-09-16 at 07:29PM

04-09-16 07:10PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
where in the rule book does it say you are supposed to catch rocks? ....

Or pigeon poop for that matter.

04-09-16 07:54PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Wow Legend, The rules are cut and dry yet you disagree so we walk through it. Where in the rulebook does it say that the player was responsible for catching a rock that was out of play? Secondly, where does it say that a rock that is out of play can be allowed to influence a rock in play? Following that line of questions, where does it say that a player can make up a rule different from the rule in the book to satisfy his own needs. Shuster's ignorance of the rules ( also the officials ignorance) is no excuse for what happened.

there is no fault in Japan's actions.

04-09-16 09:13PM
Super Rockchucker

This is the applicable rule and it was applied correctly ...

R8 b(ii) If a moving stone is touched, or is caused to be touched, by an opposition team, or by its equipment, all stones are allowed to come to rest, after which the non-offending team places the stones where it reasonably considers the stones would have come to rest, had the moving stone not been touched.

04-09-16 09:17PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
This is the applicable rule and it was applied correctly ...

R8 b(ii) If a moving stone is touched, or is caused to be touched, by an opposition team, or by its equipment, all stones are allowed to come to rest, after which the non-offending team places the stones where it reasonably considers the stones would have come to rest, had the moving stone not been touched.

nope, the stones are not part of the teams equipment, not even close. feeble attempt. not to mention that a rock that touches the sideline is immediately out of play. Cripes, have you seen curling. Rocks touch each other all the time, they are called tap shots, hits, peels.

Last edited by dugless_zone 13 on 04-09-16 at 09:22PM

04-09-16 09:41PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

I just find it interesting that there is such a lack of knowledge concerning the rules of the game by players. The general rule of thumb I have seen when situations like this occur is people refering to the rulebook of "my old skip told me his old skip told him". I would venture to say about 90% of curlers have not read the current rulebook, but rather rely on word of mouth passed along by others who havent read a rulebook in years.

04-09-16 09:44PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

It's all the Drama of the quirky curling moments that we find endless quibbling

If the on-ice umpire supposedly was wrong in stating that JPN was
responsible for the red rock that bounced off the barrier ..
Perhaps JPN should protest the game.. but they will not...
They have the complaint... yet said only "No Comment".. and moved on..

Let's see who walks away with the Bronze medal after all this hub bub..

will be interesting if Shuster changes his claims
after he sees the slow motion video..of the yellow rock going out of play...