W: Obihiro ICE Gold Cup
Obihiro, JPN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Jun 9 -- 1:00am ET
Tabata Final
Kawamura (8)
Ogihara Final
Nakagawa (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-06-16 06:19PM
Toronto_curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toronto_curler Click here to Send Toronto_curler a Private Message Find more posts by Toronto_curler Add Toronto_curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toronto_curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

I was also surprised to see a couple BP teams using icepads - allow me to advance a theory:

Team Howard used Norway pads on their BP brooms at their Tankard regionals (source: my own eyes!). This suggests that they found the Norway pads to be more useful for holding the line/carving than a fresh EQ pad.

A previous poster noted that he found the new, legal icepad material to be similar to that of the Norway pad (it may, in fact, be the same fabric with the same coating). This was the same guy comparing a 12-pack of icepads to 12 EQs...

So, maybe even without the insert, the icepad is more effective at holding the line/carving than both EQ and Norway pad. Or maybe it's just less treasonous to use a Hardline product than a Goldline one.

So, in a twist of irony, the winner in this season's broom wars is Hardline.

Barring new technology/rules this summer, I know that my next brush will be a new Hardline/Icepad combo, with those sweet, sweet $7 covers.

Either way, happy to see Team Howard/Ontario making some noise early on at the Brier.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-06-16 06:41PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

I have no first hand knowledge so I am of course merely speculating. But.....I'm willing to put money up. So.....I bet 20 bucks that no BP sponsored team is using Icepad products.

I will accept only the first bet. And if I am wrong I will mail a crisp new 20 to the first person to prove me wrong:-)

P.S. Was on a team that won the 'Real Deal' cashspiel at High Park this weekend which has put me in a betting mood. It's always better when there is a little skin in the game. It was a Continental Cup format and I recommend that to every club out there. We played an 8 end game, two Scotch Doubles 6 end games, and finished with a Skins game. We won all of our games and.....almost....got our entry fee back. Aka. Not a serious event. The food was great, that it was going on at the same time as the opening weekend of the Brier was great, and I gotta say that drinking while curling is not a bad way to go:-) In my younger days I was that guy not drinking between games. What can I tell you, I'm a slow learner.

03-06-16 09:23PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

LMFAO! so after doing everything to make hardline look bad so their sponsor could profit, Team Howard is now using the enemies products?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

New name for Team Ontario: team turncoat.

Somewhere in Switzerland Sepp Blatter is impressed.

03-06-16 09:36PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
I have no first hand knowledge so I am of course merely speculating. But.....I'm willing to put money up. So.....I bet 20 bucks that no BP sponsored team is using Icepad products.

I will accept only the first bet. And if I am wrong I will mail a crisp new 20 to the first person to prove me wrong:-)

P.S. Was on a team that won the 'Real Deal' cashspiel at High Park this weekend which has put me in a betting mood. It's always better when there is a little skin in the game. It was a Continental Cup format and I recommend that to every club out there. We played an 8 end game, two Scotch Doubles 6 end games, and finished with a Skins game. We won all of our games and.....almost....got our entry fee back. Aka. Not a serious event. The food was great, that it was going on at the same time as the opening weekend of the Brier was great, and I gotta say that drinking while curling is not a bad way to go:-) In my younger days I was that guy not drinking between games. What can I tell you, I'm a slow learner.

Howard's sweepers are using IcePad brush pads on the BalancePlus handle.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-06-16 09:59PM
Tosser is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tosser Click here to Send Tosser a Private Message Find more posts by Tosser Add Tosser to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tosser
Knee-Slider

Alberta also has Lightspeed Handle with Icepads Head. It's official, HD Tour Elite pad must be more directional and needs to be investigated and banned! Smelling another scam from BP teams. Or has HL & BP made up and merged? Lol

03-07-16 12:37AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Wow.

If I were Hardline, I wouldn't allow Howard's team to use any Hardline product after the things the Howard team did to hurt Hardline earlier in the season.
I don't know if it would be legally possible to prohibit them from using Hardline products, but if it is possible, I would definitely not allow them.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-07-16 09:47AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Right then....lol...I'll see you at the Patch with a freshly pressed $20 Gerry.

I'll be there Friday-Sat & Sunday.

03-07-16 01:20PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

How about this theory for why Team Howard is using HL broom heads: of all the top skips in Canada only his team had the nerve last fall to stand up to the secret squirrels of CCA and WCF to try to force them to publish the Top Secret Own the Podium science he was likely not privy to having missed the Brier last year and/or not been Team Canada recently with its State Secrets? The rule now is "off the shelf" from a list of approved heads. What fun for the players to mix and match broomsticks and heads.

The top players had been trying to work within the system for at least 2 years to have CCA or WCF publish fabric studies with no luck. Worlds is approaching and we are still in a tar pit with just "trust us" from a WCF with no published science! Unreal. But then, maybe the University of Uppsala has some surprises for Worlds?!

Last edited by Alice on 03-07-16 at 01:23PM

03-07-16 02:08PM
strawberry morn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for strawberry morn Click here to Send strawberry morn a Private Message Find more posts by strawberry morn Add strawberry morn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
strawberry morn
Knee-Slider

I don`t know if this helps, Alice, but Google `Tom Jenkyn curling`and scroll down to a lfp article (London Free Press).

03-07-16 04:14PM
Tosser is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tosser Click here to Send Tosser a Private Message Find more posts by Tosser Add Tosser to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tosser
Knee-Slider

Here's my theory, but just a theory.

Howard, Hart (Ont) and Laing (AB) have always been pretty tight with BalancePlus. It appears these Brier teams are now using BalancePlus Litespeed Handles with Hardline IcePad Heads with the Tour Elite Pads. Just seen a tweet from a Canadian Press Reporter that shows a picture of Laing and his brush, showing the IcePad Head. https://twitter.com/GregoryStrongCP

These players supported the original controversy against the Hardline Icepad. They stated at that time that the Icepad had directional fabric and was giving the Hardline teams an "unfair" advantage. Why else would they be using a competitors product if they didn't feel it was giving them the best advantage?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if these players/teams cry foul again either after or during the Brier, saying that the Tour Elite pad also gives teams an unfair advantage. I'm thinking this might be another attack in the making.

03-07-16 04:53PM
mikey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mikey Click here to Send mikey a Private Message Find more posts by mikey Add mikey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mikey
Harvey Hacksmasher

Is there 2 different materials being used, 1 for carving and 1 for carrying? Because they are still switching brooms depending on turns, and last night PEI kept wanting to save the pad on 1 particular broom and not waste it for cleaning.

03-07-16 05:30PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Thanks, strawberry morn! Now I know the Top Secret program costs from 2007-10.

Funny thing about trade secrets... other than the recipe for Coca-Cola they do tend to get out eventually, One of these days the UWO, U Uppsala, or a truly independent scientist will publish a study on the effects of our current sweeping rules and the equipment from the open market. Until then, every player is their own scientist.

I'll keep my eye on Chinese labs. Their teams did not make worlds this year. If anyone has an ax to grind to find an equipment or technique edge it's them given the 2022 Olys.

Last edited by Alice on 03-07-16 at 05:33PM

03-07-16 08:33PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

I'm sitting behind sheet d and can clearly see the balance plus boys using hardline heads. Archie should be proud his product fits the balance plus brooms and performs so much better. To the point that it is the choice of the competitors.

03-08-16 04:57AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Tosser
Here's my theory, but just a theory.

Howard, Hart (Ont) and Laing (AB) have always been pretty tight with BalancePlus. It appears these Brier teams are now using BalancePlus Litespeed Handles with Hardline IcePad Heads with the Tour Elite Pads. Just seen a tweet from a Canadian Press Reporter that shows a picture of Laing and his brush, showing the IcePad Head. https://twitter.com/GregoryStrongCP

These players supported the original controversy against the Hardline Icepad. They stated at that time that the Icepad had directional fabric and was giving the Hardline teams an "unfair" advantage. Why else would they be using a competitors product if they didn't feel it was giving them the best advantage?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if these players/teams cry foul again either after or during the Brier, saying that the Tour Elite pad also gives teams an unfair advantage. I'm thinking this might be another attack in the making.

So Balance Plus teams are using Hardline IcePads (which I doubt Balance Plus is happy about - but it serves them right...).
Meanwhile, the only undefeated team thus far (Northern Ontario) is motoring along... without using IcePads - not that I've seen, in any case - all I see them using is the long oval Goldline/Performance type of head (I don't know what pad(s) they are using exactly, but the head is definitely the long narrow oval head which fits the Norway pad, the EQ pad, and the original Performance pad).

Seeing as they are the only undefeated team at the Brier to this point, maybe it's NOT all about the pads, after all. Maybe too many people have simply gotten caught up in over-analyzing this stuff...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-08-16 10:12PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Northern Ontario STILL undefeated (6-0) without using Hardline IcePads...
Speaks for itself...

03-10-16 11:05AM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

Rather than a witch hunt on hair brushes, what the CCA should ban are the two pieces of equipment most detrimental to curling, the main cause of picks, and the main cause of damage to the ice.

The main cause of picks is the little rubber bits that come of all removable grippers.

The main cause of damage ro the ice is synthetic brushes. Stones never slowed down in the 4 foot path so dramatically in later ends as it has since most people have used synthetic brushes, so synthetic brushes damage the pebble most.

If the CCA wants to ban equipment detrimental to the quality of curling, then it would be banning removable grippers and synthetic brushes instead of hair brushes.

Last edited by murphyj87 on 03-10-16 at 11:20AM

03-10-16 04:08PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87
Rather than a witch hunt on hair brushes, what the CCA should ban are the two pieces of equipment most detrimental to curling, the main cause of picks, and the main cause of damage to the ice.

The main cause of picks is the little rubber bits that come of all removable grippers.

The main cause of damage ro the ice is synthetic brushes. Stones never slowed down in the 4 foot path so dramatically in later ends as it has since most people have used synthetic brushes, so synthetic brushes damage the pebble most.

If the CCA wants to ban equipment detrimental to the quality of curling, then it would be banning removable grippers and synthetic brushes instead of hair brushes.

There's no way this post can be serious. There's no way a curler could seriously suggest that banning grippers is a good idea. About 90% of people are right handed. Do you want them all to sweep on the same side of the rock?

Now that hair has been banned, if you ban synthetic brushes, you have banned everything but corn. If corn or hair brushes are used, there will be corn or hair on the ice.

03-10-16 11:25PM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

In today's MB v. NO game, Vic Rauter mentioned that the Brier winner would have to move away from one-side directional/angled sweeping and have to stick with "east/west" sweeping at Worlds. Russ and Cheryl added nothing to the conversation. Is there some WCF sweeping rule that I'm unaware of or is this just a case of Vic being Vic?

03-10-16 11:40PM
daiglem is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daiglem Click here to Send daiglem a Private Message Find more posts by daiglem Add daiglem to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daiglem
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by draway8
Is there some WCF sweeping rule that I'm unaware of or is this just a case of Vic being Vic?

It depends on the interpretation of "side-to-side" in the WCF sweeping rule R7.(a):

"The sweeping motion is in a side-to-side direction (it need not cover
the entire width of the stone), deposits no debris in front of a moving
stone, and finishes to either side of the stone."

03-10-16 11:55PM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by daiglem

It depends on the interpretation of "side-to-side" in the WCF sweeping rule R7.(a):

"The sweeping motion is in a side-to-side direction (it need not cover
the entire width of the stone), deposits no debris in front of a moving
stone, and finishes to either side of the stone."

But isn't that the same rule applied by Curling Canada? I've watched several of the World Junior games from Denmark and have seen plenty of this same directional sweeping with no rocks pulled or intervention so I have no idea what he's talking about.

03-11-16 12:06AM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy

There's no way this post can be serious. There's no way a curler could seriously suggest that banning grippers is a good idea. About 90% of people are right handed. Do you want them all to sweep on the same side of the rock?

Now that hair has been banned, if you ban synthetic brushes, you have banned everything but corn. If corn or hair brushes are used, there will be corn or hair on the ice.

Yes, exactly. So long as little bits of rubber coming from grippers is the leading cause of picks, then ban them.

A stone picking up the little rubber bits that fall from all removable grippers is far worse than the odd hair from a hair brush, and sythetics are harder on the ice than hair brushes as well so ban those too.

Exactly. I swept with corn for the first 21 years I curled, so I can go back very easily.

If the CCA is going to be on a hair brush witch hunt, then they are going to have to ban removable grippers and sythetics too, since both are far worse than hair brushes on the ice.

03-11-16 12:14AM
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87

Yes, exactly. So long as little bits of rubber coming from grippers is the leading cause of picks, then ban them.

We've all been witness to debris caused by rubber grippers but it's hardly a problem that is influencing a substantial portion of shots. In contrast I think there is evidence that hair brushes were having a consistent and dramatic impact on many shots.

03-11-16 01:50AM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by draway8

But isn't that the same rule applied by Curling Canada? I've watched several of the World Junior games from Denmark and have seen plenty of this same directional sweeping with no rocks pulled or intervention so I have no idea what he's talking about.

No. Curling Canada said there must be a motion. It doesn't have to be side to side, as per Rule 11. (8) (a). Only rule 11. (9) says the sweeping motion must be at a certain angle, and that relates to corn brooms only.