W: Obihiro ICE Gold Cup
Obihiro, JPN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Jun 9 -- 1:00am ET
Tabata Final
Kawamura (8)
Ogihara Final
Nakagawa (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-22-16 05:43PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

The loss to the Scots was tough, as was Switzerland pulling out the extra end vs. Sweden. We need those "upsets" like Italy currently leading Canada to help the cause.

Tuck gives me a tough time being a homer for my state teams but we both are big fans of this years world US teams for a good reason. They can hang with anyone in the field. We just have been on the other side of a few breaks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-22-16 06:04PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Are you guys getting the YouTube game with Hans?

03-22-16 07:13PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

2-5 oh oh

03-22-16 07:15PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Err....3-4 it appears, unless the scoreboard is wrong...

Is it?

03-22-16 07:17PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I've been catching some of youtube. Hans does a nice job.

Extra End win over Russia was huge. We need to catch a roll and this is exactly what Guido ordered.

Ben Tucker

03-22-16 07:24PM
curlinglove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlinglove Find more posts by curlinglove Add curlinglove to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlinglove
Harvey Hacksmasher

Lightbulb USA curling is the ugly duckling.

USA curling is clearly developmental. Unfortunately, the leading teams of USA currently are not at best, and I do not foresee medals in Men's nor Women's. The whole thing about not letting the winner of your national championship be the national team clearly does not work for them. Nice try, USA.

On the other hand, I do see USA has a bright future in curling. Haven't you heard? The youth of USA curling won silver medal at the 2016 junior world championships in both men's and women's. Team USA also earned silver at the 2016 Youth Olympic Games. So close, yet so far away, Team USA.

My point here is to say Team USA is the ugly duckling of curling. It seems though, Team USA is soon to grow into a beautiful swan, maybe. It is their youth who are the future.

03-22-16 07:33PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I'm putting my virtual cash on that the USA is gonna be more the Rocky Balboa this season.

Yep...early beatings looking bad...but well...we just cut the Russian, and it's time to pound out a run.

7-4 looks good for a tiebreaker at least (assuming we don't get screwed by LSD's and the WCF's "Only one tiebreaker" rule). The teams up top still have some losses within them to come...

This can be done!

(and yeah...that *is* homerism...but it's our thread, so we can be that way!)

03-22-16 07:38PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: USA curling is the ugly duckling.

quote:
Originally posted by curlinglove
USA curling is clearly developmental. Unfortunately, the leading teams of USA currently are not at best, and I do not foresee medals in Men's nor Women's. The whole thing about not letting the winner of your national championship be the national team clearly does not work for them. Nice try, USA.

Erika Brown won the USA National Championship.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-22-16 08:26PM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

On the other hand, I do see USA has a bright future in curling. Haven't you heard? The youth of USA curling won silver medal at the 2016 junior world championships in both men's and women's. Team USA also earned silver at the 2016 Youth Olympic Games. So close, yet so far away, Team USA.

Welcome to CZ. Congrats on your first post. Yes, we're well aware of the success our young curler's have had. We actually follow it a lot more closely than you do obviously.

03-22-16 09:23PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
I'm putting my virtual cash on that the USA is gonna be more the Rocky Balboa this season.

Yep...early beatings looking bad...but well...we just cut the Russian, and it's time to pound out a run.

7-4 looks good for a tiebreaker at least (assuming we don't get screwed by LSD's and the WCF's "Only one tiebreaker" rule). The teams up top still have some losses within them to come...

This can be done!

(and yeah...that *is* homerism...but it's our thread, so we can be that way!)

I've done a quick handicapping based on the remaining games. As it stands now, they'll still need a favourable split in addition to running the table-Japan has a tough road home and may be vulnerable-but if Japan were to beat Scotland on their way down then the US could sneak into a tiebreaker. As it stands, I think Canada, Switzerland and Russia look safely through.

...and I can hear Al Michaels...

03-22-16 09:55PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Finland is up 3-1 on Scotland after 3-this would be an unexpected bonus.

03-23-16 12:39AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Err....3-4 it appears, unless the scoreboard is wrong...

Is it?

It was wrong when I posted. Curling.ca had USA losing. Corrected now.

03-23-16 01:20AM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

quote:

My point here is to say Team USA is the ugly duckling of curling. It seems though, Team USA is soon to grow into a beautiful swan, maybe. It is their youth who are the future.

The US has actually WON the world junior on several occasions.

How many world men's championships have Don Barcome Jr's, Al Edwards' and Cris Plys' world junior wins gotten the US? Zero.

How many world women's championships has Cassy Johnson's world junior win gotten the US? Zero.

The fact is that any number of individual Canadians (Colleen Jones, Randy Ferby, Ernie Richardson, Jennifer Jones etc. and their teams) have won more medals at the world and Olympic level then the whole US has won in it's entire history.

03-23-16 08:42AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

With 4 games to play....it's official...we need to win out and get a little help to get into a tiebreak for the playoffs...or a LOT of help and we can get in.

My "Worst Case" scenario (assuming US wins out) assumes that all remaining games (that are relevant, at least) go the worst possible way for US's playoff chances.

- Bottom 4 teams (KOR, FIN, ITA, SWE) lose all remaining games to teams above the US
- Teams who have 8 wins lose any other games on their schedule (and evaluate that recursively, so if those losses give other teams their 8th win, *those* teams lose all other games too)

In that scenario, Canada, Scotland, and Switzerland make 8 wins. Japan has 7 wins and 1 game to play (GER), Russia makes 7 wins and 2 games to play (GER, DEN)

In this pessimistic scenario, US *NEEDS* Germany to run the table (JAP, RUS, DEN), other than the USA game. We also need Denmark to beat Russia.

If that happens, we'd be in a 3 way tie for 4th...hopefully doing well on LSD.

Regretfully, you pretty much need to be *ON* LSD to believe that's gonna happen.

Fortunately, there are some opportunities for Canada, Scotland, and Switzerland to help us out (CAN vs Japan, Scotland vs Russia and Japan, Switzerland against Russia). A couple of those, quite possible, results and more optimistic scenarios come into play.

Unfortunately, we can't hope for much help from the minnows rising to create upsets...the only teams (other than the US) with games against the bottom 4 are Canada, Denmark, and Switzerland.

03-23-16 09:27AM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

The good news is that they've increased the likelihood of getting into the magic top 7, keeping the USA in position to avoid the Oly qualifier.

03-23-16 09:29AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

Obviously USA needs to win out to maximize their chances for the playoffs but it's not all that dire:

1) GER, CAN or SCO beat JPN, coupled with loss to USA means JPN at 4+ losses
2) SCO & SUI beat RUS, means they're at 4+ losses

Done, they're in a tiebreak at worst. To get in clean, add:

3) JPN loses to CAN & SCO, beats GER
4) GER over DEN
5) GER or DEN over RUS

Then JPN, RUS, GER, DEN are all at 5+ losses and USA is in.

03-23-16 09:30AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Yep, that's the optimistic scenario.

Doesn't much matter if they don't go 4-0 the rest of the way out...here's hoping.

03-23-16 11:09AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

It's optimistic but not all that hard to see happening. CAN, SCO and SUI are all fighting to be in the Page 1-2 game so they're not going to take a game off and I'd be surprised if both CAN and SCO don't beat JPN. SCO and SUI both beating RUS is a taller order but still wouldn't be a shock if it happened.

At the same time, it's totally realistic to see 5 losses in a mess of a tiebreak.

JPN loses 3 of their remaining games with GER, USA, SCO, CAN (all teams fighting for playoffs)
RUS loses 3 of their remaining games with SCO, SUI, GER, DEN (all teams fighting for playoffs)
USA loses 1 of their remaining games with GER, JPN, FIN, SWE (two teams fighting for playoffs)
GER loses 1 of their remaining games with JPN, USA, RUS, DEN (all fighting for playoffs)
DEN loses 1 of their remaining games with SWE, ITA, RUS, DEN (two teams fighting for playoffs)

Again, the key is for USA to win out. It helps that they (and DEN) have the easiest remaining schedule of teams fighting for the 4th spot.

03-23-16 11:36AM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

I know we need Japan to lose, but who doesn't just love to watch them. They are so good, and they are having so much fun on the ice.

03-23-16 11:53AM
nom_de_broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom_de_broom Click here to Send nom_de_broom a Private Message Find more posts by nom_de_broom Add nom_de_broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom_de_broom
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by mr. lucky
I know we need Japan to lose, but who doesn't just love to watch them. They are so good, and they are having so much fun on the ice.

Agreed. I can't possibly root against them. Fujisawa made some amazing shots last night against Sweden and they always seem to be having a great time on the ice. Sorry, Erika :/ Rooting for you, too, though!

03-23-16 12:03PM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

I believe they face Canada in the last draw. It could be setting up to be a great match up. They've always been technically sound but they are now executing sound strategy.

03-23-16 12:47PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: USA curling is the ugly duckling.

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87
How many world men's championships have Don Barcome Jr's, Al Edwards' and Cris Plys' world junior wins gotten the US? Zero. How many world women's championships has Cassy Johnson's world junior win gotten the US? Zero.

Zero is correct. Coincidentally, "zero" is exactly the same number of world men's championships brought home by Canada's own recent junior gold medalists, Brendan Bottcher, Charley Thomas, and Kyle George.

What is your point if it isn't to downplay the suggestion that US curling may have a bright future in our recent silver medal-winning junior teams?
quote:

The fact is that any number of individual Canadians (Colleen Jones, Randy Ferby, Ernie Richardson, Jennifer Jones etc. and their teams) have won more medals at the world and Olympic level then the whole US has won in it's entire history.

Yes, Canada has had far more int'l success than the US. Only a fool would argue the point. But your assertion about cumulative totals is demonstrably and profoundly false.

WCF records for Worlds, Junior Worlds, and the Olys show the following medal totals for a selection of US and Canadian curlers, including some of those you mentioned:

Kevin Martin (CAN): 6
Deb McCormick (US): 6
Tim Somerville (US): 6
Randy Ferbey (CAN): 5
Erika Brown (US): 5
Alison Darragh/Pottinger (US): 5
Jennifer Jones (CAN): 4
Ernie Richardson (CAN): 4
Cassie Johnson/Potter (US): 3
Colleen Jones (CAN): 3

Check your math?

mf

Last edited by Frykenstein on 03-23-16 at 01:42PM

03-23-16 01:39PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Japan beats...no...crushes...Germany...takes Germany to 5 losses and out of realistic contention (yeah, there's scenarios where 6-5 gets into a hairball tiebreaker for 4th...but they're unlikely).

So now we need to beat Japan and hope they catch another loss from either Scotland or Canada....seems likely...two losses isn't impossible.

Scotland beats Russia. we need Russia to find another loss from Switzerland, Germany, Denmark...less likely but possible

Denmark has Russia, Italy and Germany...best case they beat Russia and lose one of the other two. Any loss from here takes them out of realistic contention.

4th place is only gonna have 4 losses...

03-23-16 04:24PM
rtcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rtcurl Click here to Send rtcurl a Private Message Find more posts by rtcurl Add rtcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rtcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Could not agree more. The Japanese team is marketing gold. Thus why we see all their games on YouTube. The WCF Broadcasting arm. Watch Gerry's great Far From Home video... The audience and the $$$ is there for these women... the USA can do the same with or juniors...

The Japanese women all curl out of Tokoro CC. Get with it USCA and follow this model... Move to Minneapolis (Blaine), train train train and have some fun!

03-23-16 06:51PM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by rtcurl

Could not agree more. The Japanese team is marketing gold. Thus why we see all their games on YouTube. The WCF Broadcasting arm. Watch Gerry's great Far From Home video... The audience and the $$$ is there for these women... the USA can do the same with or juniors...

The Japanese women all curl out of Tokoro CC. Get with it USCA and follow this model... Move to Minneapolis (Blaine), train train train and have some fun!

Isn't that more or less what the HPP is controversially trying to do?

Meanwhile, Brown takes care of business against Germany. Now 4-4. Disaster more or less averted, playoffs still possible.