M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > World Men's Curling Chmpshp 2016

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-08-16 07:20AM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Re: Pade 1-2 Telecast by TAPE DELAY

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
NO LIVE streaming since CAN is geoblocked by World Curling TV..

If you haven't figured out how to get around the geoblocking thing you just aren't trying very hard.

Google is your friend.

https://hola.org/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-09-16 06:48AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Big Day ahead

JPN ( 85% team ave) just might outplay the USA (83%) ...
who should get at least a bronze with DEN edged at fourth

Gold all the way..Sunday for Team CAN..
playing very very well (88% as a team)

04-09-16 10:42AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Costly lesson for JPN

The rookies..had to "catch" that rock..
it looks like they paid with a silver or Gold medal..

04-09-16 10:51AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: Costly lesson for JPN

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
The rookies..had to "catch" that rock..
it looks like they paid with a silver or Gold medal..

A large price to pay. US got a bit lucky....tougher test against Denmark. But I have this feeling they might make the finals.

04-09-16 11:07AM
chinabar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chinabar Find more posts by chinabar Add chinabar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chinabar
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
this makes up for the meleschuk fiasco 50 years ago
Japan has no idea who Orest is, watching him shoot with a smoke in his mouth with a two inch ash was priceless. Man, Japan is weak on strategy and end control. There risk/reward shot calling is minor league and the better team won this game!

04-09-16 11:10AM
BMalc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BMalc Click here to Send BMalc a Private Message Find more posts by BMalc Add BMalc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: On the Jam & In Call

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Nice try by Japan to execute a fether fether double but they end up jamming on the side.

Here's my view.

1. Japan had responsibility for catching 'boarded stone' before it moved back into play.

2. Outcome of jammed stone coming back to give USA stone a bit of extra momentum resulted in a biter for USA and draw for go-ahead 3rd point.

3. Even if Japan extracts boarded stone - result is inconclusive - in my eyes prolly a 65% chance USA stone sticks around anyways. Thus, in outcome 1 - with the boarded stone affecting rock its 100% USA ---- outcome 2 is unknown but film shots indicate 67% chance jammed stone stays!

4. USA has total decision making ability on call - - - - and I think correct decision made!

Had pvr'd game. Just got to end of 8. I agree with Russ it probably would have gone out. You can tell from Tyler George's reaction, he doesn't agree with Shuster that 100% it would have stayed had it not hit. He looks "sick" over the situation. The last 2 calls by Japanese very suspect though. It cost them.

04-09-16 11:14AM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Players should never be put in the position of making that call. I can guarantee you one thing. If any member of my team felt we shouldn't take the point I wouldn't have done so. I would have said 'we'll be tied with two ends to go and we'll win without any controversy or integrity issues'. The last thing I'd do is want a possible tainted playoff win on my conscience.

04-09-16 11:15AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

You said it yourself though "probably" would have gone out. I'm not removing a rock when I'm wronged because of probably, only definitely

04-09-16 11:18AM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
You said it yourself though "probably" would have gone out. I'm not removing a rock when I'm wronged because of probably, only definitely

Your opinion counts just as much as anyone's southern, but your nationality does bias you. I wouldn't have taken the point and I was cheering for the U.S. But, it's John's call ultimately.

04-09-16 11:25AM
chapnlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chapnlie Click here to Send chapnlie a Private Message Find more posts by chapnlie Add chapnlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chapnlie
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
this makes up for the meleschuk fiasco 50 years ago

anyone have a link to the shot ? thx

Found this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKHMKAOb1iw

The original which was once in the CBC archives was much better, as it showed Canadian sweepers removing their gloves to concede the match ... before Labonte took the tumble!

04-09-16 11:28AM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

^^I'm just pointing out that there is a difference in how ALOT of people would respond to that situation if the USA stone is DEFINITELY going out of the rings. Once you say probably though (which in my opinion, and LOTS of others it was) you change the response to: the rule infraction should benefit me because we will truly never know.

04-09-16 11:42AM
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
^^I'm just pointing out that there is a difference in how ALOT of people would respond to that situation if the USA stone is DEFINITELY going out of the rings. Once you say probably though (which in my opinion, and LOTS of others it was) you change the response to: the rule infraction should benefit me because we will truly never know.

If curling is a gentleman's game, your own third player feels the rock was going out, and video evidence supports that probability, then "probably" is enough to make the right decision. It's a matter of ethics. Do you want to take a point that you "probably" know you aren't entitled to, or do you not? I would never want to win a game largely on a point I probably didn't deserve.

That said, I feel this decision should never be left in the players' hands in a World Championship playoff game. That's what you have officials for. And, given the rules, Shuster had every right to take the point. I just think it would look far better on him to have gone with the probable outcome.

Last edited by rick8end on 04-09-16 at 11:44AM

04-09-16 12:27PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end

If curling is a gentleman's game, your own third player feels the rock was going out, and video evidence supports that probability, then "probably" is enough to make the right decision.

Except that Shuster's third did NOT think the rock was going out. As Tyler George said during the discussion, "I honestly do not know..." So we are back to "probably" -- some viewers thought it probably was going out, some that the rock was probably staying as a biter -- which isn't enough to pull the rock. In his post game interview, Shuster said that if he really thought the rock was out he would have pulled it and, knowing John, I believe him. It is just unfortunate that this had to happen.

04-09-16 12:59PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

I think one thing we can all agree on is that it's a lose-lose situation for both teams. I feel for Japan, and for the USA in having to make that call. Tough position to be in to say the least. Really sucks to see people accusing them of cheating and being unsportsmanlike for following the rules (not on here, thankfully).

Personally, I agree 100% with USA for leaving it in. It was ambiguous as to whether or not it would have been out or stayed in, and technically (by the rules which they confirmed with the umpire) Japan is responsible for controlling their rock. As the non-offending team it was the USA's call, and I think they did the right thing. It clearly wasn't a decision they arrived at lightly, and you could tell after the game they weren't happy about the situation overall. My point with that is that it's not like they were jumping at an opportunity to exploit a technicality.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-09-16 01:38PM
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

Except that Shuster's third did NOT think the rock was going out. As Tyler George said during the discussion, "I honestly do not know..." So we are back to "probably" -- some viewers thought it probably was going out, some that the rock was probably staying as a biter -- which isn't enough to pull the rock. In his post game interview, Shuster said that if he really thought the rock was out he would have pulled it and, knowing John, I believe him. It is just unfortunate that this had to happen.

Eve Muirhead, a former World Champion I assume with no allegiance to the U.S. or Japan team said on her Twitter account 'The yellow was never staying in the house...crazy". I'll stand by what I said, it was not the right call ethically based on what the videotape showed. As for Tyler George after the game not throwing his skip under the bus, no third would says it was rolling out. His reaction in the 8th end told it all. John should never have been out in the position he was, and he had the right to make the call he did. It just doesn't look good on him. It doesn't mean he is a bad guy. I just think in the heat of the moment he saw things with a little too much bias. Whatever, time to move on.

Last edited by rick8end on 04-09-16 at 01:54PM

04-09-16 02:04PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

denmark up 5-2 after 4. really favorable position to be in for them. if you go with a get 1, give 2 scenario then it still works out for them to be up 2 without hammer in 10.

just make sure they can do at least that and they are in good shape

04-09-16 02:18PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

another 3 for denmark and its 8-2 after 5. dont see a way back for the united states unless denmark just falls apart

04-09-16 02:25PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

pretty funny whats happening this year. 6 years ago rasmus was in a similar situation when he won the world junior title. canada finished first after the round robin, they were 2nd. denmark lost to canada in the round robin in a tight game then again in the page. they beat the united states in the semi and then beat canada in their thrid match in the final.is history set to repeat this year for them?

04-09-16 02:57PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:

Eve Muirhead, a former World Champion I assume with no allegiance to the U.S. or Japan team said on her Twitter account 'The yellow was never staying in the house...crazy". I'll stand by what I said, it was not the right call ethically based on what the videotape showed. As for Tyler George after the game not throwing his skip under the bus, no third would says it was rolling out. His reaction in the 8th end told it all.

First, Eve Muirhead has no better idea than the rest of the viewers about what the rock was going to go.

Second, you are exactly right that Tyler's reaction in the 8th end told it all. Just listen to the replay of the 8th end -- that is when Tyler said he honestly did not know. No decision had been made so the possibiliy of throwing his skip under the bus was not yet an issue.

It would be nice if there were an obvious "correct" call but it was not obvious. Which makes the final call the correct one.

04-09-16 03:02PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up it was going out..... BUT...

quote:
Eve Muirhead, a former World Champion I assume with no allegiance to the U.S. or Japan team said on her Twitter account 'The yellow was never staying in the house...crazy".

JPN's lead.. who was right there.. didnt catch that JPN red that bounced off..

Now DEN just scored a HUGE 3..

USA .....may be out of the medals.. after all the hoopla..

For the Bronze.. they face.. Japan

04-09-16 03:03PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

denmark into the final. congrats to them. should be a good final

04-09-16 03:09PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

quote:

First, Eve Muirhead has no better idea than the rest of the viewers about what the rock was going to go.

Second, you are exactly right that Tyler's reaction in the 8th end told it all. Just listen to the replay of the 8th end -- that is when Tyler said he honestly did not know. No decision had been made so the possibiliy of throwing his skip under the bus was not yet an issue.

It would be nice if there were an obvious "correct" call but it was not obvious. Which makes the final call the correct one.

Eve Muirhead is a lot more creditable then 90% of people watching the game and posting comments about it anywhere. Hmmm. Something to do with being a full time curler and very good one at that. Just saying.....

That rock was definitely going out.

04-09-16 03:11PM
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:

Through rose-colored glasses it will always look like the right call. It wasn't. Eve Muirhead and Russ Horward both said it was going out. Frankly I'll take their knowledge level over yours, and mine, any day of the week. But hey, you were cheering for a certain team and want to defend them. Fine.

04-09-16 03:17PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Well played game by Denmark. USA just never seemed to get their footing.

I have no idea what the hell is going to happen in the bronze match. Japan is no doubt pissed off and motivated, with more rest. USA no doubt gutted at the moment. They're going to have to dig deep and shake it off in order to win it.

As for the final, I think Denmark will put up a hell of a fight but I don't see them taking Canada down. Canada is just playing too consistently at the moment, and while Denmark is playing well I think Canada is playing better.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-09-16 03:26PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up DEN will fight hard

But Rasmus does not have Marc Kennedy setting him up

Team CAN are super calm ( who wouldnt be with Koe ?)
Really focused on pure execution..confident about the ice now

Bronze - up for grabs.
John Shuster appears to find ways to lose...while making
some super world-class shots in the process...

JPN want their first World Medal..

Go Team CANada