W: Obihiro ICE Gold Cup
Obihiro, JPN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Jun 9 -- 1:00am ET
Tabata Final
Kawamura (8)
Ogihara Final
Nakagawa (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-21-16 08:03PM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Ms. Brown tried to claim that Canada had "burned" their rock and that it should thus be removed. Given what had occurred to that point, this seemed bizarre and less then ethical to me. The US team seemed frazzled so perhaps that was a factor.

I'm not convinced she was requesting this second burned rock to be removed, eliminating the option of a rethrow. I think both teams were frustrated by the lack of communication on the part of the officials. At one point Pottinger stated that they just wanted to make sure that everyone was on the same page regarding the decision to ignore Nixon's faulty handle.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-21-16 08:17PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Ms. Brown tried to claim that Canada had "burned" their rock and that it should thus be removed. Given what had occurred to that point, this seemed bizarre and less then ethical to me. The US team seemed frazzled so perhaps that was a factor.

For the record, I'm Canadian (and live in Canada). But I had some sympathy for Erika Brown's questioning of the official last night. On the throw that resulted in the extensive discussion, the US had apparently been told in advance to ignore the rock light and rely on the hogline official, and they therefore thought that Nixon's throw was legal and that Canada consequently burned the rock by stopping it. If the officials did in fact advise the teams in advance, then Erika was completely right. The issue appears to have been that the officials told the US, but not Canada - hence the confusion, which the officials appeared to apologize for.

While it was a bit comical how animated she was in light of the score and the obvious issues with the rock in question, I don't think she was 'wrong' in what she was questioning the official about.

03-21-16 08:38PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by BDure
And then we can get back to the "What's wrong with Erika and company?" discussion.

My two cents, there is nothing "wrong" with Erika and company. They will do as well as they usually do but no better and no worse. Middle of the pack and on a good week and challenging for a playoff spot (but not getting it) or on a bad week struggling to finish 4-7.

I compare Erika Brown to Sherry Middaugh. Nice curler, nice person, but really just not at that elite level of being a pure shot maker. She's one notch below the current crop of top level females and at her age it is unlikely that she is going to catch fire and rise to that top level except on the odd occasion.

03-21-16 08:42PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Three

My two cents, there is nothing "wrong" with Erika and company. They will do as well as they usually do but no better and no worse. Middle of the pack and on a good week and challenging for a playoff spot (but not getting it) or on a bad week struggling to finish 4-7.

I compare Erika Brown to Sherry Middaugh. Nice curler, nice person, but really just not at that elite level of being a pure shot maker. She's one notch below the current crop of top level females and at her age it is unlikely that she is going to catch fire and rise to that top level except on the odd occasion.

Agreed

03-21-16 10:06PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

The results of the American juniors, coupled with the problem of last night's game (and I'm not referring to the "discussion" with the umpire-who looked totally lost) got me thinking (always dangerous!) I took it upon myself to take a look at what appeared to be some "over-communication" between Erika and Allison-I've noticed what, for want of a better word could be termed a pattern.
First of all, they first appeared in 1995 (feel free to correct me on any mistakes). Erika has worn the stars & stripes to the world championship a total of 8 times-5 at vice and 3 as skip.
This is Allison's eleventh appearance-she has played every position-twice at both lead and second, six times at vice and once as skip.
They have played together 5 times (including this year). Together, they've finished second twice-once with Lisa Schoenberg and once with Patti Lank. Allison also has a first and second playing vice for Deb McCormick (also born in Canada). The last podium was a second in 2006 (Allison with Deb).
Now comes the tough part-and this is in no way a put-down. I'm looking at the American rink and comparing them to the other rinks in the field-the problem may have nothing to do with ability-I think that the real issue is that the American rink is simply much older than any other rink in the competition-in fact, we've seen the same American faces year after year. You don't see Dordi Nordby or Colleen Jones or Marilyn Bodogh or Pat Sanders or Elizabet Gustaffson anymore. Each of these ladies competed against this rink in the past. Folks, Father Time may in fact be the real opposition to these women-the game is being played by much younger people (both men and women). Jeff Stoughton has "Hung up his Broom"-so has Kevin Martin and quite a few other Canadians.
The only player who could be placed in the same age bracket is Nkeiruka Ezekh, the Russian lead who played for the first Russian team. There, I've said it-and I'm old enough to be their father so I'm allowed.
They're a wonderful team who have finally met their ultimate match.
Now flame away!

By the way, Scotland just stole one in the third end-it's 3-2 for Eve.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-21-16 at 10:20PM

03-21-16 10:58PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

After 7 ends it's 4-3 over Scotland. Eve has hammer.

03-21-16 11:17PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Eve just made a hit against 4. Tied after 8-US has hammer (honest).

Erika draws against 2-they almost overswept.
5-4 after 9 and Eve will have last rock coming home
6-5 Scotland

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-21-16 at 11:48PM

03-21-16 11:55PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

1-4

starting to see a pattern here

03-21-16 11:57PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Not looking so fantastic for the USA. They needed to be able to pickoff the 2nd tier teams and get a game or two against the top tier teams (CAN, SUI, SCO) to go in their favor. Like I said before, it depends on what Team Brown showed up up this week.

Regardless what happens, this is the probably best team the USA had at nationals this year.

03-22-16 12:01AM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Regardless what happens

Really? What happens has consequences.

If this our best, well.....I'm starting to nervously fidget.

03-22-16 12:02AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Maybe they should have sent their junior team.
How many teams go to Olympics, and how is it decided?

03-22-16 12:16AM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright
Regardless what happens, this is the probably best team the USA had at nationals this year.

Sadly, this is true. It was not a very deep field and this team lead with team shooting % and also was at the top at most positions. Keep in mind that, with the exception of the game against Canada, they've been in every single game and have had a chance to win. But this has been the story for years.

03-22-16 12:30AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
we've seen the same American faces year after year...

That is pretty much the story of USA curling for both men and women. -- pretty much the same faces at nationals for several years, with a few younger teams only recently starting to pop up. Because of Olympic funding, USA curling has to focus on winning now as opposed to developing for the future. Unfortunately, the results of that strategy kind of speak for themselves.

03-22-16 08:38AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by draway8

Sadly, this is true. It was not a very deep field and this team lead with team shooting % and also was at the top at most positions. Keep in mind that, with the exception of the game against Canada, they've been in every single game and have had a chance to win. But this has been the story for years.

So, it will be said (not by me) that, "well, if a HPP team won, things would have been different". Well, I'm not so sure. If so, then a HPP team should/would have easily sailed through nationals. Brown sailed through nationals though. If you can't get through the US field, you should have no business being at Worlds. And in the state of Women's US curling, you should be able to get through the US field easily (at least with this year's field).

03-22-16 10:09AM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

I don't think there's any doubt Brown was the top U.S. team. Top three in six events; fifth in the other two. I don't see an event in which another U.S. team finished ahead of them.

Roth played 12 events and had four top-3s, not close in any others.

Sinclair played 11. Five top-5s, including three top-3s.

Christensen got more OOM points this year than Roth or Sinclair. Seven top-5s (including the U.S. Junior win and World Junior runner-up). Beat Sinclair and Roth to win in St. Paul. Second to McCarville in Curl Mesabi. But I can't quite see sending her to World Juniors AND the World Championships.

03-22-16 12:21PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Well, most of her team ages out of Juniors after this season anyhow, so she's an available option for the future.

However, that doesn't bode well for 2018, as we appear on track for a 7th or 8th place finish this year...another one of those and the Women will have to navigate the Qualifier.

@Signo : the qualifying teams for the Olympics are:

1 - Host Nation (South Korea)
2-8 - Teams with the most Qualification Points from the preceeding two worlds (so this years and 2017's).
9-10 - Teams that emerge from the Olympic Qualification Event, an open tournament between nations that qualified for any of the World's between 2014 and 2017

The points go to all 12 teams at Worlds (14 – 12 – 10 – 9 – 8 – 7 – 6 – 5 – 4 – 3 – 2 – 1) so fundamentally, if your nation places top 5-6 in both qualifying years, you're probably good. Alternatively, if your nation medals in one or the other year, you're probably good. Otherwise, you're likely in the qualifier.

Last edited by AlanMacNeill on 03-22-16 at 12:31PM

03-22-16 12:38PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

4-2 US in 6th
Erika has hammer

Korea steals 1 in 6th

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-22-16 at 12:51PM

03-22-16 12:50PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by BDure
I don't think there's any doubt Brown was the top U.S. team. Top three in six events; fifth in the other two. I don't see an event in which another U.S. team finished ahead of them.

I think USA curlers were pretty unanimous in feeling that Brown was our best women's team and best team to send to the Worlds. Things could still change this week but I don't think many expected the results we are seeing so far.

03-22-16 01:04PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Four losses, three by one stone. Even though I have high hopes, this doesn't surprise me. They have the ability to be 4-1 right now but are coming out on the wrong side of all the tight games. Their season was stacked early and they may have peaked then. They can beat all of these teams, but they aren't go to be able to dominate anyone. Solid team but need things to go their way. It hasn't so far.

03-22-16 01:10PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Erika just made a tap for 4.
At last we're seeing the Americans showing something!

FINAL...10-3

You may now yell

USA! USA!

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-22-16 at 01:40PM

03-22-16 01:35PM
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
Four losses, three by one stone. Even though I have high hopes, this doesn't surprise me. They have the ability to be 4-1 right now but are coming out on the wrong side of all the tight games. Their season was stacked early and they may have peaked then. They can beat all of these teams, but they aren't go to be able to dominate anyone. Solid team but need things to go their way. It hasn't so far.

Agreed. I figured they would be close and with a couple small lucky breaks, they could have been contenders.

03-22-16 01:42PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

If it's any consolation see my last post!

03-22-16 02:11PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
If it's any consolation see my last post!

Thanks Jimbobogie!

Anyone know where you can find statistics for individuals and teams?

03-22-16 02:47PM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

Anyone know where you can find statistics for individuals and teams?

http://www.curling.ca/scoreboard/#!...ns/2056/reports

03-22-16 05:22PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Yes, I annually come on this site and predict medals for Americans. Yes, I'm frequently wrong. However, none of it is artificial. I post what I truly believe.

I still believe Team Erika With a K Brown can make the playoffs and medal. I'd be more vocal about it if they had won just one of those close early games (the Scotland loss following the win against Italy really crushed my soul), but I still think this is a good team by international standards.

Am I a hopeless cheerleader? Yeah, I've been called that before. Maybe, but I still think we are in a historic year and I still think this team can medal...as can Shuster.

Ben Tucker (leading Russia as I type this...that would be a big win...a loss here and the muck gets really deep)