M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > World Men's Curling Chmpshp 2016

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-06-16 04:06PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

This just in:

Japan 6, Norway 4

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-06-16 04:29PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

CAN - Page Playoff

CAN "should" beat SUI.. so may go 9-1 (min)- Page1
If they lose to NOR it would have no impact...

Nobody else can get more than 8 wins ( 5 Teams at 6-3 right now)

04-06-16 11:03PM
Russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Russ Click here to Send Russ a Private Message Find more posts by Russ Add Russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Russ
Harvey Hacksmasher

Can't say I'm enjoying any of this years nonsense, considering what they've done to the game

Consider this: Teams that want to be competitive next season will need four new rush heads every game.

At $25 a head, that's $100 per game. That's more than $500 per event.

This will bankrupt teams that are not sponsored.

This also applies to bantams and juniors. Kiss the future of curling goodbye!

Leaving this until the summer to sort out is underhanded. The teams with inside information (sponsored teams) will again have a big head start on the competition.

I'm afraid the hay days of curling are all in the past. Get ready to witness the collapse of a great sport.

04-07-16 05:50AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Good game canada. #1

04-07-16 06:34AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

LIVE Stream from Basel

SUI- NOR Matchup.. Thursday AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrDH_rDZw-U

might decide NOR chance to qualify..

04-07-16 09:05AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Nik Edin's "Out" is he's got a final round matchup vs. 2nd place (TIED) Finland - if Nik topples the longhairs he'll prolly finish outright 2nd place (or 3rd at worst if the surprise team of the even Johnny Shuster wins his final game, Shoes beat Edin in the round-robin so he'd be awarded 2nd place in a tie situation)

I think you are confusing Finland and Denmark. Sweden plays Denmark in the last draw, and it is Denmark what is tied for 2nd not Finland

04-07-16 09:20AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Nik Edin's "Out" is he's got a final round matchup vs. 2nd place (TIED) Finland - if Nik topples the longhairs he'll prolly finish outright 2nd place (or 3rd at worst if the surprise team of the even Johnny Shuster wins his final game, Shoes beat Edin in the round-robin so he'd be awarded 2nd place in a tie situation)

Norway's challenge is a bit more cumbersome. Ulsrud all-pants squad need Sweden to knock off the finns and that brings some equivalence to the field.

Norway needs to handcuff the hometown swedes in the current draw to make it happen.

I think the biggest threat to Koe nabbing another world championship is Nik Edin.

Right now I'd rate everyone's gold chances as follows:

1. Kevin Koe - 67%
2. Nik Edin - 20%
3. Tommy Ulsrud - 8%
4. John Shuster - 3%
5. Finland - 1%

norway playing switzerland..in switzerland

04-07-16 09:59AM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Can't say I'm enjoying any of this years nonsense, considering what they've done to the game

Consider this: Teams that want to be competitive next season will need four new rush heads every game.

At $25 a head, that's $100 per game. That's more than $500 per event.

This will bankrupt teams that are not sponsored.

This also applies to bantams and juniors. Kiss the future of curling goodbye!

Leaving this until the summer to sort out is underhanded. The teams with inside information (sponsored teams) will again have a big head start on the competition.

I'm afraid the hay days of curling are all in the past. Get ready to witness the collapse of a great sport.

I think at some time the rules organizations will step in and make the necessary changes so everyone can compete on an even playing field, and the slew of blank ends that teams like Koe can force will end. We can only hope we'll get back to the time where guys have to make good shots to win the games, as opposed to brooms being able to turn sub-par deliveries/shots into perfect ones.

Last edited by rick8end on 04-07-16 at 10:03AM

04-07-16 10:10AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Also keep in mind, we have also seen many " would have been good shots" had they not been ruined by misweeping.

04-07-16 10:17AM
Russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Russ Click here to Send Russ a Private Message Find more posts by Russ Add Russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Russ
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Also keep in mind, we have also seen many " would have been good shots" had they not been ruined by misweeping.

Why leave this to the WCF to resolve? That's the tail wagging the dog.

04-07-16 10:20AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

For those who didn't share the dedication of a True Canadian curling fan the Norwegian game is now being broadcast on one of the TSN High number channels. It's the one that isn't covering the Masters.
In real time Norway defeated Switzerland to finish at 7-4. It might not be good enough.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 04-07-16 at 10:52AM

04-07-16 10:29AM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay

There have been some, but we all know the better teams use this new technique to make far more shots that they couldn't have made before. And it doesn't cost them many through mistakes. Russ Howard put it best for me - there's almost no such thing as burying a rock anymore. Teams can either use the sweeping for a come-around takeout or tap back, or they use it for a straight back raise. I'm a great curling fan - I always thought I would be. But more and more the game I loved to watch is being highjacked by sweeping techniques and equipment. And trust me, when you are starting to lose a loyal fan like me you're in trouble. I'm just not interested when newer brooms and sweeping techniques allow previously difficult (and exciting) shots to become largely routine for the better teams.

Last edited by rick8end on 04-07-16 at 10:31AM

04-07-16 11:13AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Crunch time 1 pm ET

Defending world champ SWEden (6-4) in a fight to qualify against DEN ( 7-3 ) ..

Fight for Page2 spot-

JPN (7-3) faces FIN ( 5-5)....
DEN- SWE..
USA ( 7-3) vs. GER ( 1-9 )

any tie breakers guesses??

04-07-16 11:30AM
Russ
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Crunch time 1 pm ET

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Defending world champ SWEden (6-4) in a fight to qualify against DEN ( 7-3 ) ..

Fight for Page2 spot-

JPN (7-3) faces FIN ( 5-5)....
DEN- SWE..
USA ( 7-3) vs. GER ( 1-9 )

any tie breakers guesses??

I predict that the team with the best brushes will win

04-07-16 01:36PM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Uniform rules

How many differences are there between world and canadian rules? In Canada on a tick shot only the "skip" on the non delivering team can sweep their own stone to try to get it off the the sheet. In the worlds many times we see the front end sweeping together to get it off. Can the rules ever be made the same throughout the world of curling? I am not sure if they can if only because we see wider sheets at the worlds than we can ever have in curling clubs in Canada. All the discussion over brooms and sweeping can only be resolved if there is unanimity over the rules.

04-07-16 01:50PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

From the NY Times today, guess this explains the replacement of team Russia.

On the eve of their trip to the world championships in the United States this week, Russia’s entire under-18 hockey team was suddenly replaced with younger players.

If that was not enough to startle sports fans, in recent weeks a rash of withdrawals and substitutions from major competitions has wreaked havoc on Russian sports, throwing into question the lineups for volleyball and even curling teams.

The suspected culprit is meldonium.

04-07-16 02:50PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
From the NY Times today, guess this explains the replacement of team Russia.

On the eve of their trip to the world championships in the United States this week, Russia’s entire under-18 hockey team was suddenly replaced with younger players.

If that was not enough to startle sports fans, in recent weeks a rash of withdrawals and substitutions from major competitions has wreaked havoc on Russian sports, throwing into question the lineups for volleyball and even curling teams.

The suspected culprit is meldonium.

http://www.dddmag.com/news/2016/04/...eldonium-doping

"There have been at least 123 doping cases involving meldonium since it became illegal on Jan. 1, most notably Maria Sharapova. Many of those accused claim the heart drug remained in their systems even though they stopped using it last year, when the World Anti-Doping Agency said it would be banned."

Looks like they have no idea how long it appears in testing.

04-07-16 03:54PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

WOW. if you would have told me norway AND sweden would miss the playoffs this year i would have ..idont know but its just stunning.both started out strong and really collapsed late.

so pages are this:

1 v.s 2:

canada v.s denmark

3 v.s 4:

japan v.s united states

big credit to japan , who did win their last 4 , and i didnt think they would

04-07-16 04:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by rick8end

There have been some, but we all know the better teams use this new technique to make far more shots that they couldn't have made before. And it doesn't cost them many through mistakes. Russ Howard put it best for me - there's almost no such thing as burying a rock anymore. Teams can either use the sweeping for a come-around takeout or tap back, or they use it for a straight back raise. I'm a great curling fan - I always thought I would be. But more and more the game I loved to watch is being highjacked by sweeping techniques and equipment. And trust me, when you are starting to lose a loyal fan like me you're in trouble. I'm just not interested when newer brooms and sweeping techniques allow previously difficult (and exciting) shots to become largely routine for the better teams.

im agreeing with everything you are saying here.

04-07-16 04:09PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:

This is bang on. Couldn't have said it better myself.

04-07-16 04:12PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

shocks of the worlds

norway and sweden missing playoffs. not only that but after starting 4-0 sweden went just 2-5 after that.

switzerland going 4-7 on home ice. maybe not that shocking since,on the world stage michel has never made the playoffs. what is shocking is that on home ice he only went 4-7 and never at any time looked close to making a run to the playoffs.

denmark making the playoffs isnt so much a shock but finishing in 2nd is. they will be a real test for canada. rasmus is a brilliant shot maker and he most certainly can keep up with kevin but he'll need his team to back him up well

04-07-16 05:05PM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

They mentioned that if there had been three teams tied at 7-4 that Denmark would not have been in the tiebreaker due to head to head during the round robin against Sweden and Norway. That would not have been right.

04-07-16 05:06PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: S H O C K E R :::::::!!!!

quote:
Team Pants (NOR) and Team Edin (SWE) both out of playoffs.

No shock Koe advances to #1 spot in 1-2 game; despite the advanced bantering!

Japan is the biggest and most pleasant surprise - Holly Holming most of their competition!

USA also a surprise although they've been around forever.

No surprise Sven dropped a deuce on his home turf (SWITZ) - just not a very good player or team!

i dont know what to make of michel. he's talented, there really is no question. however he continuously disapoints at major events. aside from his european win he hasnt done anything of note and he also suffers from putting in switzerland's worst ever result at an olympics. i think the problem right now is the team he has with him. the pfister brothers are an upgrade on the middle end he had last year but nowhere near as good as his old middle of patz and trolliet.

predictions:

canada def. denmark. denmark is not to be underestimated and if frederiksen and stjerne are on their game they can keep up with koe and kenny for sure and it will be entertaining. think canada edges out a good one though

united states def. japan- both playing well but think US takes the rematch

04-07-16 05:25PM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

quote:

I'm a great curling fan - I always thought I would be. But more and more the game I loved to watch is being highjacked by sweeping techniques and equipment. And trust me, when you are starting to lose a loyal fan like me you're in trouble. I'm just not interested when newer brooms and sweeping techniques allow previously difficult (and exciting) shots to become largely routine for the better teams.

Right on I am so fed up with this 'directional' sweeping that I leave when the games come on TV go down to the club and watch real curling.

This is not how the game was meant to be played.

04-07-16 11:03PM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Uniform rules

quote:
Originally posted by Curlwalker
How many differences are there between world and canadian rules? In Canada on a tick shot only the "skip" on the non delivering team can sweep their own stone to try to get it off the the sheet. In the worlds many times we see the front end sweeping together to get it off.

This is a great question and a good example of a rule difference between Curling Canada and WCF rules. I believe that most countries have adopted WCF rules. Some critical differences between Canada and the rest of the world also include 1 vs. 2 timeouts in regulation as well as LSD. If you watch Scotties and Brier pre-game you will see the team with first practice deliver their measured stone with an in turn and the team with second practice deliver their measured stone with the opposite turn. WCF rules require each team to deliver two stones, one in turn and one out turn. I have no idea why Curling Canada won't adopt WCF rules. An example of the confusion could be seen this week when the Koe team wasn't sure how to deal with a burned stationary rock. At times players are unsure of the differences in rules and where they exist.