W: Obihiro ICE Gold Cup
Obihiro, JPN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Jun 9 -- 1:00am ET
Tabata Final
Kawamura (8)
Ogihara Final
Nakagawa (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-20-16 11:09PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
It looks like Allison has been making a few "Long Distance" calls-but this rink has enjoyed a lot of success this year.

2 finals appearances in 6 bonspiels isn't my idea of a lot of success.. The top 3 womens team in Canada would think that record was a very so so season if not failure of a season

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-20-16 11:11PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Brown came into this tournament as not only the best US team (by far) but also fairly highly ranked in the OOM, at least in terms of the teams present.

So a playoff berth wasn't all that far out of the realm of reasonability.

Now...well...thankfully it's an 11 game slog...so they aren't *out* of it yet...but they need to go at least 6-2 to have a prayer...7-1 woudl be a better idea...

Long row to hoe...

03-20-16 11:29PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

So a playoff berth wasn't all that far out of the realm of reasonability.

For most that follow curling a bit, a playoff birth is/was a longshot.

03-20-16 11:33PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World

2 finals appearances in 6 bonspiels isn't my idea of a lot of success.. The top 3 womens team in Canada would think that record was a very so so season if not failure of a season

Rocky, it's hard to argue based on tonight's performance. I saw them in Toronto in the fall-let's say they looked nothing like tonight. I'm a Canadian curling fan who happens to believe that in order to keep the game growing in the States (which is something the pro circuit will need sooner rather than later) they need to see their rinks standing on podiums (podea?). I've made a lot of posts in the US section to that effect. Tonight was a bit of a setback; fortunately it doesn't appear that many US fans actually saw the game.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-20-16 at 11:35PM

03-21-16 08:43AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Really, Rock Your World? Keep your Canadian "2 finals appearances" crap north of the border. Chelsea Carey only has 2 finals this year.

Horrible start to my Monday and I'm not a cheery Monday person.

I'm particularly bummed out because it seems that Allison Pottinger isn't sharp at third. I think she's great and I'm a big fan. Hopefully she and the team turn things around immediately. Pottinger has a good strategic mind and has always offered her thoughts when playing third. If the Russians think she's a backseat driver...I've seen them play and they could use a little backseat navigating for themselves...they don't call a very good game.

Ben Tucker

03-21-16 09:02AM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I'm particularly bummed out because it seems that Allison Pottinger isn't sharp at third. I think she's great and I'm a big fan. Hopefully she and the team turn things around immediately. Pottinger has a good strategic mind and has always offered her thoughts when playing third. If the Russians think she's a backseat driver...I've seen them play and they could use a little backseat navigating for themselves...they don't call a very good game.

Ben Tucker

The problem is, I think it was Russ Howard (not the Russians) that called her a backseat driver.

03-21-16 09:09AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World

Perhaps so (although is *your* finals appearance percentage 33%?), but there is only one Canadian team there...so the other two's perceptions of the season aren't all that relevant now, are they?

03-21-16 10:25AM
chinabar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chinabar Find more posts by chinabar Add chinabar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chinabar
Harvey Hacksmasher

Observation- It is very clearly seen on the broadcasts that team U.S.A. has no team chemistry. Allison Pottinger has to tone it down and be more respectful to her team mates, and start walking the talk with her play. She definitely knows when the camera is on her and has no problem undermining her skip and team.

03-21-16 10:57AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

On the bright side there are a couple of very good junior rinks who made the podium this year.

03-21-16 11:08AM
chinabar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chinabar Find more posts by chinabar Add chinabar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chinabar
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
On the bright side there are a couple of very good junior rinks who made the podium this year.
Here is hoping for success of those junior teams, and future competiveness on the international stage. Now is the time for the coaches and players to learn and instil teamwork, team chemistry and team mate respect. Sometimes it is not all about yourself!

03-21-16 11:10AM
TNH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TNH Click here to Send TNH a Private Message Find more posts by TNH Add TNH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TNH
Hitting Paint

I think of Allison as the US Amy Nixon. Not the best fit for every skip, but those skips that don't take the chatter personally get a tremendous team player that gives 200% on every shot.

Not completely disagreeing - that type of vice is a terrible fit for me - but Brown and Carey seem quite content and won national championships with them. So it's not all bad .

03-21-16 11:23AM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I don't know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing but Erika is playing Italy this morning. Italy just drew against two to score a single in the first end.

Erika just drew against 2 to tie the score after 2.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-21-16 at 11:35AM

03-21-16 11:45AM
Curlbiz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlbiz Click here to Send Curlbiz a Private Message Find more posts by Curlbiz Add Curlbiz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlbiz
Knee-Slider

quote:
That's why you have a coach...Ms. Swisshelm will have to get to work tonight.

Perhaps that is the problem. On their own all year long...however, now USCA is back in control...

Plenty of time to make up for the poor start.

03-21-16 11:58AM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Erika just stole 1 in the third. May be a good thing that 5hey're playing Italy this morning...but given Italy's performance so far they need to:
1, Win and
2. Win convincingly

03-21-16 12:05PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Fourth end is blanked...not really convincing yet. Italy still has hammer.

Italy scored 2 in the sixth to go up 3-2. This is not what the US needs.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-21-16 at 12:48PM

03-21-16 12:08PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Wait...if she stole one in the third and the 4th was blanked...how does she have hammer in the 5th?

03-21-16 12:58PM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

They're using common core math?

03-21-16 01:02PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Wait...if she stole one in the third and the 4th was blanked...how does she have hammer in the 5th?

Sorry about that-I made the correction. Anyway they just used the hammer to score 2 and go up 4-3. ITALY NOW HAS THE HAMMER!!!

Another steal and the US is finally on the board...hardly convincing but at this stage a win's a win.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-21-16 at 01:57PM

03-21-16 01:05PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Are you *sure* this time?

03-21-16 01:23PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I'm positive - in fact she's just stole another point in 8 which means that Italy still has the hammer going into 9

03-21-16 01:59PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Really, Rock Your World? Keep your Canadian "2 finals appearances" crap north of the border. Chelsea Carey only has 2 finals this year.

Horrible start to my Monday and I'm not a cheery Monday person.

Ben Tucker

Erica Brown seems to lack composure on the world stage, and the whole team seems thoroughly confused by directional sweeping. They are a complete train wreck out there. The poor sportsmanship that they showed on the malfunctioning rock last night against Canada was atrocious. I am so glad that Carey and team regrouped and waxed them in 6 ends. The US team is easy to dislike at this point, and I too have always liked Pottinger.

Every year you get on here and severely overrate the US teams. A couple of times is excusable but it's way beyond that. Sure, cheer for them, but cut out this over done hype, it's stupid. A previous poster was right, any one following curling knows approx. how Erica Brown rates in the mix.

Your junior teams deserve much credit. Future has to be better then this. In the meantime, take any successes as they come.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-21-16 at 02:09PM

03-21-16 03:12PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Erica Brown seems to lack composure on the world stage, and the whole team seems thoroughly confused by directional sweeping. They are a complete train wreck out there. The poor sportsmanship that they showed on the malfunctioning rock last night against Canada was atrocious. I am so glad that Carey and team regrouped and waxed them in 6 ends. The US team is easy to dislike at this point, and I too have always liked Pottinger.

Every year you get on here and severely overrate the US teams. A couple of times is excusable but it's way beyond that. Sure, cheer for them, but cut out this over done hype, it's stupid. A previous poster was right, any one following curling knows approx. how Erica Brown rates in the mix.

Your junior teams deserve much credit. Future has to be better then this. In the meantime, take any successes as they come.

http://www.tsn.ca/must-see/video/mu...nada-usa~832717

I just watched this and have no idea what is "atrocious". The officials clearly did not communicate completely with both teams and were the issue. At the end there is an apology for their error. Either the stone was being manually observed or the light was still in effect. If Canada would have been properly informed they wouldn't have stopped a clearly legal shot. The USA were told the light was to be ignored and have no idea why a shot would be stopped. Both teams were frustrated by the officiating and the team down 4-1 more so.

03-21-16 03:57PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

I just watched this and have no idea what is "atrocious". The officials clearly did not communicate completely with both teams and were the issue. At the end there is an apology for their error. Either the stone was being manually observed or the light was still in effect. If Canada would have been properly informed they wouldn't have stopped a clearly legal shot. The USA were told the light was to be ignored and have no idea why a shot would be stopped. Both teams were frustrated by the officiating and the team down 4-1 more so.

Browns actions were, at the least, foolish and embarrassing. At the worst unsportmanlike. It was OBVIOUS the rock was not working. Canada was following the rules of stopping at the red light. Communication with both teams was obviously lacking. To disrespect a volunteer official is sad. Even if the said official is an historical idiot.

03-21-16 05:12PM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

Can we agree that:

A. Based on current form, Brown's loss to Denmark (particularly in giving up 3 late in the game) was unexpected.

B. Based on current form, Brown's awful game against Canada was unexpected. (A loss? Sure. But like that?)

C. If you're watching KOR-JPN, you'll notice that the crew running this shindig hasn't the foggiest idea what to do about malfunctioning rocks. I'm not going to blame any U.S. players for getting frustrated when we see it happen AGAIN, followed by a 10- to 15-minute discussion.

Let's agree on those three points, then kindly redirect trash-talking Canadians back to the Canadian threads. We LIKE your country. I'm a huge Rush fan. I like Kids in the Hall. I loved the broadcasts of the Scotties and the Brier. I loved being in Whistler for the Olympics. And given the state of our democratic process, I wouldn't mind if you annexed us.

And then we can get back to the "What's wrong with Erika and company?" discussion.

03-21-16 07:27PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

Ms. Brown tried to claim that Canada had "burned" their rock and that it should thus be removed. Given what had occurred to that point, this seemed bizarre and less then ethical to me. The US team seemed frazzled so perhaps that was a factor.