M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-25-16 06:49AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

No, I'm sorry, but with all due respect, neither does arbitrarily passing over a team that qualified based on the criteria outlined. I mean, that is what you're assuming happened, correct?

Honestly, neither of us know for sure what exactly happened. Perhaps we never will. Hopefully someone in the know can/will explain what happened. Whatever the case is I'm sure it's a simple explanation and nothing nefarious or underhanded.

Here's a thought, the Duluth HOH Charity Bonspiel is that weekend. Several members of Team Shuster are participating. If I'm not mistaken, they've been committed to that event for some time. Perhaps they chose to support this event as they have in the past? Like I said, just a thought though.

If you read the end of my post, you would have seen the part where I thought that other teams had gotten other OOM points and got higher, which was what I originally thought.

And thinking "nefarious" things happened... In the back of my head, sure it was a possibility. But I guess I was confused for the moment, as the Elite 10 is not run by the HPP. I guess I'm too used to rules changing all the time to benefit certain teams...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-25-16 09:32AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright

Declined? I'm sorry, with all due respect, that makes no sense. Why would a US team decline playing on quality ice against top teams? Maybe I'm missing something, isn't that what the US is looking to do?

The team is choosing to play the weekend prior to the Worlds at a major event in Aberdeen, Scotland instead of the Elite 10. This will allow for the team to get accustomed to time change and get in some high quality competition prior to Worlds in Switzerland.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-25-16 09:28PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Here's a good thing: It looks like I'll be curling with my sons in the Grafton Men's on the second weekend of March. Plenty of room still available if you want to enter a team. Come on down and kick old Tuck. I haven't played more than a dozen games over the last 5 years.

Ben Tucker

02-25-16 11:54PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

time to take up the stick Tuck

03-01-16 10:52AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Great news today out of the WCF. Hair brooms are now banned.

Why is this great? There are lots of reasons to ban them and a few reasons not to ban them, but it is only truly great news because now MacNeil owes me another drink. The rule change came in far in advance of the Before Men's World over/under. I win another bet.

I think Alan's tab has grown over the years to be about 3 drinks that he owes me. When are you people going to learn not to bet with me on curling or horses? Alan's losses are only 10% of what JHcurl and Biterbar owe me. If I collected all of my winnings, I'd be a fat drunken pig.

Oh...wait...I am a fat drunken pig. Never mind. Just had to send Alan a note in the most public way possible.

Ben Tucker

03-01-16 11:49AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Yep....you do in fact win that one...

I think the WCF is smoking exactly what CCA was last month...but...well...it's their game.

Come to Vegas next January or World's in April 2018, Tuck, and I'll pony up (seriously, you've gotta drink the curling stone...and at 7 shots of fairly good stuff...I'd say it's a 3 drink equivalent...)

03-01-16 03:01PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Yep....you do in fact win that one...

I think the WCF is smoking exactly what CCA was last month...but...well...it's their game.

Come to Vegas next January or World's in April 2018, Tuck, and I'll pony up (seriously, you've gotta drink the curling stone...and at 7 shots of fairly good stuff...I'd say it's a 3 drink equivalent...)

I just wish they'd take that insert out and really fill that baby up, ha ha.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

03-01-16 04:00PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Here's a good thing: It looks like I'll be curling with my sons in the Grafton Men's on the second weekend of March. Plenty of room still available if you want to enter a team. Come on down and kick old Tuck. I haven't played more than a dozen games over the last 5 years.

Ben Tucker

Ben, I just checked out the Grafton CC website. Doug Thompson's team bears a striking resemblance to one of the greatest teams in curling history...and from just across the border in Saskatchewan.

For 10 points (Canadian-I guess that would be 7 points US) gimme the name!

03-01-16 05:13PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Richardson rink circa 1961? (the year I was born)

Now keep your devalued Canadian points north of the wall, Jimbo.

Ben Tucker

03-01-16 05:39PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

They were the original superstar rink.

03-01-16 06:05PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Richardson rink circa 1961? (the year I was born)

Now keep your devalued Canadian points north of the wall, Jimbo.

Ben Tucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tx...5E5692&index=19

Ernie Richardson, 1962 Scotch Cup. Some good footage of him and Dick Brown of Hibbing. I think Browns drift on the first shot thrown looks a lot like Tuck.

03-01-16 06:13PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

First half is here. Good footage of Kay's Curling making stones and of the bagpiper wiping out on the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI2...5E5692&index=18

03-02-16 07:46AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Here is a good thing that no one has mentioned. Tuck is back posting. Of course, most of the stuff he posts is wrong but people still believe him.

JH
one month until the Phils are out of the playoffs

03-04-16 07:51AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

This post is about curling. It's just going to take me awhile to get there.

As yesterday's Republican Presidential Debate degenerated into a lively and disgusting argument over who has the biggest dick, I watched the face of the esteemed former governor of Ohio. It grew sadder and sadder as he realized exactly how far we have fallen over the last two months.

Contrast that scene with our most liberal supreme court justice giving a sweet and moving eulogy for our most conservative supreme court justice last week. Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Antonin Scalia seemed, on the surface, to be an odd pairing. Deeper, however, they shared a passion for the law and high respect for our highest court. Scalia once said about the odd friendship, "I attack ideas, not people."

While every four years curling's number of fans grow exponentially, those of us who care passionately remain at just under 1,000. Opportunities, options and opinions may chart our path forward to good or to ill; but what remains important is our shared passion. Fortunately less than 1% of our small band are actual jerks, so it should be relatively easy to keep all disagreements from degenerating into personal attacks.

Rest in peace, Justice Scalia. I disagreed with most of your written majority opinions and all of your dissenting opinions, but they were brilliantly written and classy...just like you.

As for whom has the biggest dick: I'm pretty sure it's not Mr. Trump, Mr. Cruz nor Mr. Rubio. I'm pretty sure it's Ms. Ginsburg.

Ben Tucker

03-04-16 09:37AM
OHCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OHCurler Click here to Send OHCurler a Private Message Find more posts by OHCurler Add OHCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OHCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

One of the things I like most about curling is that I am an actual jerk, but most other curlers seem to like me anyway.

03-04-16 08:53PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Tuck-I'm hoping that the animosity and disrespect that's appearing on TV hasn't leached into the general population. John Kasich looked by far the most Presidential, didn't he?

Whether you agree with a person's principles it the POTUS-you've got to respect the office, no matter who's sitting in the Oval Office.

Our PM is paying a visit to DC and will be featured on Sixty Minutes this week-draw your own conclusions.

03-05-16 12:13AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie

Whether you agree with a person's principles it the POTUS-you've got to respect the office, no matter who's sitting in the Oval Office.

It used to work that way in USA but I have never seen so much hatred and disrespect for POTUS as in past 7 years.

03-05-16 09:55AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

While the hatred in the last 7 years seems to be uncharted territory, I believe the disrespect goes back 15 years. An important distinction because paints both sides with the same sinful color. At least that's my observation.

This is the Good Things thread. Needed when most other threads seem full of dissent bordering on anger. I wanted to bring in Ginsburg's eulogy of her departed friend/polar opposite. I shouldn't have contrasted it with the gongshow of 3 potential presidents arguing about penis size (which, in and of itself, abdicates all moral high-ground now when it comes to calling our president the Leader Of The Free World). Picking a president should be less frustrating than picking your favorite sexually transmitted disease.

So: My bad.

Increasing membership (only nation in the world). Building dedicated ice (only place in the world). Just now embarking on what could be an historic year for World medals. We have the most active and the most interesting threads in curlingzone. More people are joining the discussions. More people care.

It's not all good; but there is a lot of good.

Ben Tucker (sorry for polluting a curling thread with politics...not as bad as farting in church...roughly akin to bringing up concussions during a Super Bowl party)

03-08-16 08:56AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Time for more good things! These do not include my picks for Club Men's!!

The USA women are in third place at 3-1 at Junior Worlds. They took a tough loss to Hungary losing a 6-3 lead after 8.

The USA Junior men are in a 7 way tie for first at 2-1. They had to face Dunstone in game one and lost but are playing well since.

Nina Roth is 2-0 at the Uiseong Masters beating Englot and Val Sweeting from Canada in pool play. Keep it up girls.

NBC is broadcasting LIVE games from the Men's and Women's World Championships! Great continued exposure!

The fixed the Camera's at Club Nationals so you can really follow the game on sheet three now. Tuck get over there and start announcing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gqj0ZlwhSA

The Brier is being streamed on ESPN three and is not disappointing! A few too many blanks occasionally but these are being accomplished with tremendous shots. Tune in, you won't be disappointed!

Juniors are being broadcast live as well although I haven't seen the USA on yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddfwWG19ZfI

And last but not least, it is 60 degrees in Wisconsin in March! Always a GOOD THING!

Last edited by biterbar on 03-08-16 at 09:03AM

03-08-16 09:38AM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

US Junior Women vs HUN was on yesterday morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-q8sKyRXes

03-08-16 02:23PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MCC_PE
US Junior Women vs HUN was on yesterday morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-q8sKyRXes

Ugh. Just watched the last two ends of that loss to Hungary on replay.

Should have thrown that last stone in the ninth away or taken the stone closer to the rings out with an in turn hit so there was no way to knock in the tying rock. The only way Hungary had a chance was with an extremely tough roll on of the guard and shooter.

The hammer to the open 8 may have been ok if they never touched it, it just never grabbed like other stones.

03-10-16 08:28AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Through six draws, our Junior Men's team sits on top of the board (well, okay, tied with Scotland...close enough...), only needing one win in the last three to clinch a playoff berth (and a game against 0-6 Korea still to come...)

Through seven draws, the Junior Women's team sits in third, having clinched at least being in the tiebreaker hairball (and a game against 0-7 Japan still to come...)

Those are good news situations, IMO

03-10-16 11:34AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Apparently....Dropkin has learned how to play smallball...

6-5 in 11 ends...1 scored in *every* end....only 2 steals (1 each, obviously).

03-10-16 01:56PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Looks like both USA junior teams will avoid having to do some pre-qualifier or B-Junior world event next year. That's good.

Looking good to get into a medal round as well.

Also looks like the top and bottom teams are really separating out. Not as much parity amongst all the teams.

03-10-16 07:08PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

USA Junior Women clinch playoff spot and Junior Men on the verge of doing the same thing. This is where HPP money should be going, where it can make a difference. Just too bad USOC cannot see beyond the next Olympics when it comes to development of USA curlers.