M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 23 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-08-14 07:35PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Can't accept remarks that Martin is greatest monster under pressure. Poor record at worlds and fell short at two olympics before 2010 as the favorite. Arguably greatest curler to date on mens side, but he did not particularily make a greater percent of shots then other great teams when he had chances.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.166.28.202

04-08-14 07:48PM
amead is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amead Click here to Send amead a Private Message Find more posts by amead Add amead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amead
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
On a separate matter of coaching - if Stoughton is disbanding his squad I'd really like to see a man like Mr. Bean (aka Jon Mead) start coaching Mike McEwen's team.

Mead might be exactly what the stoic McEwen team needs to fire them up a bit!

Please. Stop the name calling.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-08-14 08:18PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Given decent ice conditions if my team needed a reasonably hard hit or draw on last brick my list of skips to deliver the baby would be:

Mine would be Kevin Koe

04-09-14 12:20AM
Unregistered

quote:

While K-Mart has had his fair share of soak jobs his perpetual presence on the cash tour and also Brier, Worlds & Olympics puts him at the top of the list.

I've seen them all and all of the great ones had some miserable crashes when exposed to ferocious pressure.

Ferbey/Nedohin - when Dacey/Lohnes took them down
Stoughton - numerous cracks under pressure; can't remember when he super-gassed a last rock auto-shot though.
G. Howard - quite a few little collapses
Al Hackner - 10th end barf up of 3 to 21 yr old Burtnyk in 1981 stands out; made up for it later when he killed the arrogant Ryan Express.
Hec Gervais - seen him whiff a few in his time
Bernie Sparkes - same

I think even the great man of Sask'n, Rick Folk barfed up a couple of Sask'n championships.

Given decent ice conditions if my team needed a reasonably hard hit or draw on last brick my list of skips to deliver the baby would be:

1. Martin
2. Folk
3. Russ Howard
4. Glenn Howard
5. Matt Baldwin
6. Ken Watson
7. Ron Northcott
8. Don Duguid
9. Wayne Middaugh
10. Billy Walsh, Jr. - if you ever want to see a living tribute to one of the great last rock Brier wins of all-time try and search out the 1956 Brier film.

I'd put Jacobs, Koe & Stoughton in the extremely honourable mention list! Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

Cool Hand Luke

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 23.17.4.233

04-13-14 03:51PM
derek sutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for derek sutton Click here to Send derek sutton a Private Message Find more posts by derek sutton Add derek sutton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
derek sutton
Harvey Hacksmasher

Via Glenn's twitter. Saville, Richard Hart, Meade, Howard for next year.

Also Reid Carruthers skipping Moskowy, Smalgalaski and Hodgson via Reid's twitter.

Also Mark Nichols' Winnipeg condo for sale again, via twitter.

Last edited by derek sutton on 04-13-14 at 04:10PM

04-14-14 12:00AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by derek sutton
Via Glenn's twitter. Saville, Richard Hart, Meade, Howard for next year.

This is a team I will be rooting for.

04-14-14 01:08PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

the Howard team retains it's crown.....

As the team with the best sense of humour in curling:-)

04-14-14 05:14PM
Unregistered

Wonder who they're getting for playdowns as the rules won't have changed by next year.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.49.253.31

04-15-14 09:57AM
deadhead is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadhead Click here to Send deadhead a Private Message Find more posts by deadhead Add deadhead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadhead
Knee-Slider

I have to think that Howard is looking for some kind of record for most Brier reps because otherwise why would he keep at it? He has been going down hill for a few years as has Martin. At least we won't have to listen to Hart on tv this season.

04-15-14 10:23AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Howard downhill.....

Glenn Howard has already got the record for most games played in the Brier. He also has the record for most games won.

The record he has that will never be beat however is playing in 11 Brier finals. What is also very unlikely to be beaten is the number of times he has made the playoffs. Fourteen. (in 15 Briers)

The idea that he is sticking around simply to increase the number of games he has played in the Brier is to put it mildly debatable.

I would also debate the idea that this team has slid anywhere but at the broom......lol.....over the last two years.

Last year they had the best RR record at the Brier. They had the best record at the Grand Slams, and they won the $50,000 year end bonus for being the best.

This year they have won 2 out of 3 Slams, and lost the semi-final to the winner of the other Slam. They will certainly win the $50,000 bonus again this year. They will also very likely finish number one on the money list, and second on the CTRS points list.

If this is sliding downhill, sign me up.

04-15-14 11:45AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

If you love curling and are still among the best in the game, I don't know why you would quit.

04-15-14 12:13PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

love to curl still.......

your right what is going to stop people like Glenn Howard from cranking out another season or two for the love of the game, he certainly DOESN'T NEED THE CASH DOES HE? all the same having new bodies and one former player being his VICE good to see Richard Hart come out of 'retirement' who knows what they amount to?

04-15-14 12:34PM
Unregistered

No matter who the curler is, they obviously have the right to keep competing for as long as they want. We saw in the Masters that 50+ guys can still compete and be legitimate threats to win (Jiminez and Couples). We even saw Tom Watson almost win the British Open at 59.

The point is, Glenn's skills haven't diminished much, if at all, at 51 (he turns 52 in July). So more power to him for continuing. He'll still be one of the Top 5 rinks in the country with his new line-up.

As for McEwen, that's the one rink where I'm not sure what will happen. I hate to say they peaked a year or two ago, but that seems the case. I thought they were one of the heir-apparent best teams in the country as Martin, Stoughton and Howard neared or passed the Seniors' age…but I was wrong. They've regressed this year and if they curl poorly this week, my guess is we'll see changes. Their recent B.C. Spiel win was against a very weak field other than Stoughton. Hopefully Mike and company can have a strong week and remain together for another Olympic run.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.78.26.214

04-15-14 01:02PM
Duck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duck Click here to Send Duck a Private Message Find more posts by Duck Add Duck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duck
Swing Artist

quote:

ex. even look at 43 yr old Koe at the worlds. Almost every key shot warranted a lengthy team meeting.

Are you saying this will happen in 2018? Nothing like adding 4 years to make a point.

04-15-14 01:33PM
Unregistered

I know verified facts mean more to some people (me for example) than others, but all you have to do to find the age of any top curler is Google Search their name and a window pops up with their birthdate. As was just stated, Kevin K. is only 39. I do agree that there were far more rink consultations than were necessary at the Worlds.

04-15-14 02:28PM
derek sutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for derek sutton Click here to Send derek sutton a Private Message Find more posts by derek sutton Add derek sutton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
derek sutton
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I know verified facts mean more to some people (me for example) than others, but all you have to do to find the age of any top curler is Google Search their name and a window pops up with their birthdate. As was just stated, Kevin K. is only 39. I do agree that there were far more rink consultations than were necessary at the Worlds.

Koe always looks so indecisive/ worried and Rycroft would not shut up the whole week, questioning everything Koe did.

04-15-14 08:09PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Interesting to hear some possible changes coming out of Manitoba with Jeff Stoughton maybe re-uniting with former players. Rob Fowler and Stougton has come up through multiple sources and just recently heard Steve Gould may be lobbying to be a part of that team as well.

Would be great to see Steve back on the ice, hopefully the time away has given him a chance to heal that balky elbow.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-16-14 04:54PM
Unregistered

For the select few bitter BC curlers out there who have been beating this John Morris residency issue to death. Please allow me to shed a little insight.

I work with John and have for several years at Chestermere Fire Service. As most of his family is in Ottawa, he has made mention on several occasions on how the closest thing he has to a family in Alberta is the group of guys he works with at the firehall, as a result we are privvy to the real John Morris. Not the guy the media portrays or the guy he is made out to be in some of these forums. I can vouch that John is an extremely hard worker, a great leader, and a very humble person... he doesn't even like to ever make mention of his curling when at work... actually even quite shy when it comes to his accomplishments.

John made a very difficult decision last year when he parted ways with long-time teammates of the Kevin Martin rink. He explained losing his heart and soul for the game and decided to play with a group of guys from BC who he had been friends with on tour for many years. He knew that this was going to be a big challenge to still reach the goal of repping Canada but he knew the team would all be committed and there was no other guys out there he would want to win more with. In December they came excruciatingly close in making an improbable run to the Olympic tournament final. Determining that their team had too much potential to be done after half the season, they inquired with the BC curling powers that be what would be required of them in order to legally compete in Brier qualifying. After a little debate, they decide to do everything legally required of them and pursue this option.

JOhn inquired about part time employment with a fishing charter called Good Time Dave's out of Victoria BC and had a letter drafted by his employer and is going to be doing Charters this spring and summer, they are booked. John usually hangs out in BC for about a month every sumer and does a lot of camping in the interior and fishes for a few weeks on Vancouver Island so this seemed like a good fit. The fishing season is very slow from the months of October-April and combined with the fact that John was competing at curling during most of the time, hosting Charters during the season did not make sense.

I can tell you that John felt awkward about repping BC this year, he lives in Alberta and was really not comfortable with it. There were even calls into the fire hall here asking why John was wearing a BC jacket at the Brier and rightfully so. As i've heard this happens quite a bit all over Canada, The Canadian governing body of curling needs to step up and make a clear cut decision on this matter to help alleviate the pressure put on curlers and provincial bodies.

I can also tell you this, John has booked at least several charters already and is heading to Victoria over the next few months to fulfill these obligations. As much as you fellas like to judge Mo about not having class or integrity, he could not live with himself if he did not fulfill his work requirements of him by BC. If you are friends with John on facebook (which I sure hope you don't consider yourself a friend) or follow him on facebook, he has been promoting these fishing charters.

To see some more info of this monster of a man you are making of John, check out the following link... http://www.curling.ca/blog/2014/03/...nd-big-sisters/

All he has done is start the Big Brothers program in his hometown of Chestermere and become a Big Brother for over 2 years, volunteer at the local junior program whenever he has weekends off from this tour season/work. And raise over 13k for Big Brothers Calgary and area through the fundraising of the curling calendar. And he wouldn't ever want an ounce of credit for any of this!
I have one question for you fellas from BC who have a hate on for Mo... what have you done for the game lately? Besides come up with excuses on this website as to why you can't seem win to catch or break? Time to take a long look in the mirror.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.69.218.54

04-16-14 08:46PM
Unregistered

If John really felt bad about representing BC,
He could have just said no thanks.
(And I am not even from BC. :-) )

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.200.227.131

04-16-14 09:41PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I have one question for you fellas from BC who have a hate on for Mo... what have you done for the game lately? Besides come up with excuses on this website as to why you can't seem win to catch or break? Time to take a long look in the mirror.

I presume your question is rhetorical since you answered it indirectly, and wrote a lengthy introduction.

I know lots of people in BC who give back to curling and their community as much as your colleague. Those who criticize the decision by your colleague to participate in BC playdowns and the Curl BC decision to allow him to have every right to do so. Personally I was hoping Cotter would have won the Olympic Trials so all of this could have been avoided.

Someone correct me here, but wasn't Curl BC's decision on the matter made last summer, and not after the Olympic Trials as the poster suggests?

04-17-14 12:30AM
Unregistered

From what little we've been able to pry out of Curl BC guest, this was done sometime just before the trials and the BC playdown entry deadline.

This poster made the exact same post on the only active BC thread and I made a response similar to yours-so thank you.

But I've been thinking a lot about their 'awkward' comment. No one held a gun to John Morris and forced him to represent BC. He could have played in the trials, as originally stated, and then entered Alberta playdowns. There would have been a line of teams for someone of his talent.

Someone, who lives and works in Alberta, who felt 'awkward' wearing BC colours, could have easily told Cotter, Griffiths and Sawatzky that once the trials were done they too were finished as a team. It would have been the right thing to do.

So now the question is, what made him change his mind? Or perhaps, not what but who.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.176

04-17-14 10:47AM
Unregistered

John Morris

Has anyone generated more comments than John and his playing for Cotter?
The above poster is obviously a good and loyal friend of JM. Most curling fans are aware of John's ties to his communities and the wonderful things he does for kids, and for curling. I don't think many would question his goodness and kind spirit.

But just because at your core, you are a kind person, does not mean that you won't take advantage of situations to allow you to win the top prize. John Morris did exactly that with the permission of curlBC. Who does not want to represent this country at the olympics? especially since he has before.

I don't know John Morris personally, but his behaviours indicate that he would do anything to try and rep Canada at the Olympics. He brought Team Cotter to higher level than they have ever achieved. There is a lot of good that came of that mix. AND if Cotter knew this was a one year fix, he has not been left in the lurch with John's 'retirement'. Nothing dishonourable there. The curlBC piece is a different matter. John lives and works in Alberta and plays in BC (fishing guide is a form a play??) The powers that be in BC let their players down by allowing JM to do what he did. Since John will be working here this summer, I guess he will have fulfilled his commitment and that will be the end of it.

John Morris has provided us with many years of entertainment on and off the ice. I hope he finds some peace in his life. He was at the pinnacle of his career and it is hard to face that new blood has surged and surpassed him. Fame is fleeting and fickle. I hope he will return to the game and continue to provide us with fodder for this forum, but in support of his talent rather than questioning his integrity.

It's not just the 'cougars' who will miss him.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.5.81

04-17-14 12:48PM
Unregistered

Re: John Morris

"new blood has surged and surpassed him"

Pass me the bowl. You really got the good stuff. John is the best curler on planet earth right now. Any team would take him as a skip or any other position in an instant.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.206.253.8

04-17-14 01:03PM
Unregistered

Agree with the last poster. Morris has hardly been "surpassed". That's a really strange comment given his success over the last year, narrowly missing in both the Olympic Trials and the Briar with a team that hadn't achieved that type of success in the past.

99.99% of curlers would love it (and applaud the accomplishment) if they were told they would be in BOTH the Trials and Briar finals. I guess you fall in the .01% who sees fit to downplay such results. That kind of invalidates anything you have to say.

Good luck to Morris in the future. He seems like a really classy guy, and he remains one heck of a curler.

04-17-14 01:50PM
Unregistered

Lets make the rules clear on eligibility so everyone understands.

To play in BC you must be a permanent resident before Sept 1 of the season. This is stated clearly in the Curl BC rulebook.

To account for situation changes there is a reasonable and fair exemption process.

You have three reasons for your appeal, education, work (full time) and residing in a border area with no nearby club save a BC one.

Please tell me which one qualifies Morris.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.176