M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 21 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-02-14 02:28PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

As is usual in curling when form is not followed by the standings the ice is proving to be less predictable than is desired by the players.

I also would mention at this point the very same thing was said about Team Jacobs when they were 1-2 at the Trials.

The tourney is far from over and Team Koe, like Team Jacobs still controls their own destiny. In other words,if I were to place a bet right now I would place it on Team Koe to win.

That said Team Martin went 1-3 in World Championships. It's sport you just never know when upsets are a brewing. Why they are upsetting:-)

Last edited by JB42 on 04-02-14 at 02:34PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-02-14 02:42PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by ASquires

Interesting....6-3 and fighting for that last playoff spot isn't "close to a lock" by any means

I haven't seen much of the games, but today's loss was not their fault. That Swedish skip was unbeatable today.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.249.65.250

04-02-14 02:45PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

I'd be interested who A Squires would bet on instead of Team Koe. He could make his pick, I've already made mine and we could compare notes at the end. :-)

04-02-14 03:01PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
I'd be interested who A Squires would bet on instead of Team Koe. He could make his pick, I've already made mine and we could compare notes at the end. :-)

WHO CARES. There are threads for that. Please let's keep this thread on track with changes amongst curling teams and not your stupid ramblings on off topic subjects.

04-02-14 03:01PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Also.....

What's with Team Japan? Where the heck did these guys come from? Heck of a tournament for them so far. Beat Canada and Scotland. They have two big ones coming up though. Sweden and China. They are the Cinderella of the tourney. Or at least would be if relations weren't rather tense just now between their country and the host country. It would be interesting the hear how they are being received by the fans.

I don't have a TV and TSN is blocking the VOD so the only games I can watch are the ones provided by the World Championship site. I did try to get up early to watch the Ulsruud v Koe match at ny local greasy spoon but only got there in time to see Koe give up a three and the game in 8 or 9.

During the games I watched from the beginning of the week the Scottish commentators were saying that the ice was spotty and had been a determining factor in a number of the matches. But as I say. I haven't had the chance to watch much.

04-02-14 04:10PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

What does any of this have to do with big changes coming? There is a thread for the worlds.

04-02-14 05:08PM
derek sutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for derek sutton Click here to Send derek sutton a Private Message Find more posts by derek sutton Add derek sutton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
derek sutton
Harvey Hacksmasher

Johhny Mo

So Johhny Mo is essentialy taking next year off. I wonder how long the best third in the World will be without a team. And how he will return, as a third, a skip or other. I can sure see him in the mix again for 2018 no matter what. Where does Cotter go from here? Or what about John skipping the rest of team Koe? He could reutrn as Team Canada in one of two ways....

We could sure see some interesting "throw" together teams for some of the early cash spiels. There are a lot of free agent front ends out there looking for skips, and vice versa. Mabe they will al throw their brooms in the middle, and have some kid toss them onto piles of four. There you go, there's your teams.

Really going forward there are currently only three top teams, McEwen, the new Koe team and Jacobs. Howard I expect would bring his son on but what about Wayne and Craig? Free agents include Mead, Morris, Martin, Cotter, Virtue, Schille, Carruthers, Stoughton, Simmons, Thiessen, Moskoway, plus so many other leads and seconds. And is Nichols going to play for Gushue? I think Nichols at 2nd, Morris 3rd and Gushue skipping may be a team formed, and the favourite, looking ahead to the next Olympic cycle, maybe pick up Saville to play lead.

Last edited by derek sutton on 04-02-14 at 05:29PM

04-02-14 05:28PM
Unregistered

Re: Also.....

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
What's with Team Japan? Where the heck did these guys come from? Heck of a tournament for them so far. Beat Canada and Scotland. They have two big ones coming up though. Sweden and China. They are the Cinderella of the tourney. Or at least would be if relations weren't rather tense just now between their country and the host country. It would be interesting the hear how they are being received by the fans.

I don't have a TV and TSN is blocking the VOD so the only games I can watch are the ones provided by the World Championship site. I did try to get up early to watch the Ulsruud v Koe match at ny local greasy spoon but only got there in time to see Koe give up a three and the game in 8 or 9.

During the games I watched from the beginning of the week the Scottish commentators were saying that the ice was spotty and had been a determining factor in a number of the matches. But as I say. I haven't had the chance to watch much.

2 things:

1. your comment about japan really belongs in the world championship thread

2. they've been expected to do big things for japan for a long time but have been massive disappointments up until this point. whether or not they do anything after this is the question

moe Meguro anyone?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

04-02-14 05:29PM
Unregistered

Re: Johhny Mo

quote:
Originally posted by derek sutton
So Johhny Mo is essentialy taking next year off. I wonder how long the best third in the World will be without a team. And how he will return, as a third, a skip or other. I can sure see him in the mix again for 2018 no matter what. Where does Cotter go from here? Or what about John skipping the rest of team Koe? He could reutrn as Team Canada in one of two ways....

We could sure see some interesting "throw" together teams for some of the early cash spiels. There are a lot of free agent front ends out there looking for skips, and vice versa. Mabe they will al throw their brooms in the middle, and have some kid toss them onto piles of four. There you go, there's your teams.

Really going forward there are currently only three top teams, McEwen, the new Koe team and Jacobs. Howard I expect would bring his son on but what about Wayne and Craig? Free agents include Mead, Morris, Martin, Cotter, Virtue, Schille, Carruthers, Stoughton, Simmons, Thiessen, Moskoway, plus so many other leads and seconds. And is Nichols going to play for Gushue? I think Nichols at 2nd, Morris 3rd and Gushue skipping may be a team formed, and the favourite, looking ahead to the next Olympic cycle, maybe pick up Saville to play lead.

schille is stepping back from the sport . Not sure if he plans on playing next year

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

04-02-14 05:33PM
derek sutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for derek sutton Click here to Send derek sutton a Private Message Find more posts by derek sutton Add derek sutton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
derek sutton
Harvey Hacksmasher

And how will the changes effect the Players Championship? We saw last week end in GP how the Ladies were playing with fill ins and some new teams. It will suck in the Players Championship will have all different players.

04-02-14 05:35PM
derek sutton
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Johhny Mo

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

schille is stepping back from the sport . Not sure if he plans on playing next year

I think I remeber hearing/ reading that now, perhaps earlier in this very de railed thread. Is Wayne doing the same? that rings a bell to.

04-02-14 07:43PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

So Johnny Mo could float for the first half of next year - maybe finalizing with a needy but quality outfit (Gushue makes a ton of sense) for playdown purposes.

You don't really think that would happen, do you? Cuz there's a 0% chance that Morris would take a half year off and then pick up Gushue.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.141.201.135

04-02-14 07:49PM
Unregistered

Talking Re: Johhny Mo

quote:
Originally posted by derek sutton

We know the Cougar population will be very disappointed without seeing their Johnny Boy crush curling. This could spell trouble for curling ratings on tv let alone interest in curling, lol.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24

04-02-14 08:41PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

John Morris

Just read this from The Curling News on twitter and thought I'd share John's plans for the upcoming year.

http://thecurlingnews.com/blog/2014...atical-perhaps/

04-02-14 09:15PM
Unregistered

quote:
Interesting the last bit. If his "former" squad is awarded the default Team Canada squad (Simmons, Rycroft, Nolan can't cobble together something) then he might play a 'light schedule' to gobble up the Team Can spot.

Man knows where his bread is buttered, don't he?

Well that one way to keep everyone off his back. Dont rule out a Morris / Martin reunion in two years.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.176.114.69

04-02-14 09:25PM
CurlingRH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingRH Click here to Send CurlingRH a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingRH Add CurlingRH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingRH
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Interesting the last bit. If his "former" squad is awarded the default Team Canada squad (Simmons, Rycroft, Nolan can't cobble together something) then he might play a 'light schedule' to gobble up the Team Can spot.

Man knows where his bread is buttered, don't he?

He is very careful in his wording. Nowhere does he say he is quitting the team. It's implied, but never said. "If our team happens to be awarded the default Team Canada berth ..." implies he hasn't quit, but is merely taking a little sabbatical. Perhaps politics is a better fit for his skills than firefighting.

If the Kevin Martin thing doesn't work out with the remnants of Team Koe, maybe Cotter should consider giving the old bear a call, thereby allowing Morris all the study time he needs. It's unlikely to happen, but watching Martin take Morris' old mates to a Brier would make for a highly entertaining event. Watching them win would be rich beyond words.

Actually, the Martin for Koe swap makes a lot of sense. I'm sure the CCA is praying for some kind of palatable resolution to their inaugural Team Canada situation. This may be their best-case scenario.

04-03-14 10:54AM
Unregistered

Heard

Joe Frans
Craig Van Ymeren
Bowie Abis mills
Jeff gorda

Could be a good team out of Ontario

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.219.69.182

04-03-14 11:15AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Johhny Mo

quote:

We know the Cougar population will be very disappointed without seeing their Johnny Boy crush curling. This could spell trouble for curling ratings on tv let alone interest in curling, lol.

Cougars across the planet (many were disappointed when he was not at the 2012 Olympics!) are weeping into their carafes of wine

04-03-14 12:19PM
Unregistered

Where does that leave Werenich?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.15.97.37

04-03-14 01:02PM
Unregistered

All Morris's announcement does is confirm that he lied on his residency exemption form. There never was a part time fishing/hunting/hiking guide job.

He goes on to say he won't play unless a plump team Canada spot is dropped in his lap. I guess the free ride back to BC Provincials wasn't enough. But then, there would be that pesky residency thingy he'd have to deal with.

A shame BC doesn't have an organization with the stones, ironic pun intended, to call Morris and this team on its charade and ban them for the year-as laid out on the form-for lying.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.248

04-03-14 01:14PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Re: Johhny Mo

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Cougars across the planet (many were disappointed when he was not at the 2012 Olympics!) are weeping into their carafes of wine

Which event would he have been in???

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 192.197.71.189

04-03-14 01:17PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Johhny Mo

quote:

Which event would he have been in???

Too much wine! 2010 Olympics he was quite admired

04-03-14 01:20PM
Unregistered

quote:

Well that one way to keep everyone off his back. Dont rule out a Morris / Martin reunion in two years.

LORD. Why would Morris bother. He was the helm steering the ship of a new team, taking them farther than anyone expected of a newly formed team. Why would he want to go back to playing 2nd fiddle to Martin, with Martin getting all the glory, when it's so obvious after this past season that as good as Martin is, he's not great without Johnny Mo setting up his last stones.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.89.62.122

04-03-14 01:42PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
All Morris's announcement does is confirm that he lied on his residency exemption form. There never was a part time fishing/hunting/hiking guide job.

He goes on to say he won't play unless a plump team Canada spot is dropped in his lap. I guess the free ride back to BC Provincials wasn't enough. But then, there would be that pesky residency thingy he'd have to deal with.

A shame BC doesn't have an organization with the stones, ironic pun intended, to call Morris and this team on its charade and ban them for the year-as laid out on the form-for lying.

I realize the quoted post borders on trolling, but it is a valid observation. Was it ever made crystal clear how Morris was going to meet his BC residency requirements? If he in fact doesn't ultimately meet them, what are the repurcussions?

To be clear, I mostly blame the BC association for the charade, rather than Morris and team. But frankly if it becomes evident that he hasn't met his obligations for residency, there should be some sort of blowback.

04-03-14 01:59PM
Unregistered

Trolling? Not even close.

Curl BC is partially at fault. However, its obvious now that Morris knowingly and purposely submitted a false exemption form. I have little doubt his teammates and coach also knew as well.

Yes, curl BC dropped the ball. But their negligence doesn't justify or exonerate Morris or his team for, or from their actions.

There is clearly stated penalty for this. It should be applied.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.249