M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Nova Scotia Scotties-Colleen Jones

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-06-16 04:18PM
gbgorr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gbgorr Click here to Send gbgorr a Private Message Visit gbgorr's homepage! Find more posts by gbgorr Add gbgorr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

Nova Scotia Scotties-Colleen Jones

She's back with most of her former team. How do you think she will do?
Here is a link to team rosters.

http://nscurl.com/index.php?option=...=180&Itemid=610

Be quite a story if she made it to the Scotties Nationals?

Last edited by gbgorr on 01-06-16 at 04:24PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-06-16 04:48PM
gbgorr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gbgorr Click here to Send gbgorr a Private Message Visit gbgorr's homepage! Find more posts by gbgorr Add gbgorr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Nova Scotia Scotties-Colleen Jones

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Quite a story indeed. But certainly within the realm of possibility given the state of womens curling in Nova Scotia. Coco could probably plop along at 65 to 75% and with Kim Kelly contributing she's certain to make Final 4 (in N.S.)

If Maryanne hopped aboard I suspect she'd play 3rd and KK would drop down to 2nd stone!

edit: ok, now I see Maryanne is with her Scottie winning team of last season. At this point, Maryanne is a far stronger performer than Colleen. Much more game-tested as well with some good pit stops on the circuit. Only was Coco goes thru is if Maryanne comes up sour.

There are in my opinion two aspects that Colleen has over Mary Anne.
1. More experience, especially in pressure situations
2. A brutally competitive player.(in the best sense of brutal)

01-06-16 05:22PM
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nova Scotia Scotties-Colleen Jones

quote:

Yeah, I'll agree on both. Maryanne hasn't distinguished herself under duress and there's no question how brutally competitive Miss Coco is.

However, Maryanne is a far more consistent shooter now - and Colleen was never really a monster pressure-shooter in the style of Homan or JJ Jones. . . . . she often used Kimmy to make strategic shots at 3rd and wrapped up ends early.

She has a deadly out turn and she still has Kim so....

01-06-16 07:48PM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Swing Artist

Did she not go in it last year as well as practice for seniors?

01-06-16 08:49PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Colleen played Third for MAArsenaults NS rink at the 2014 Scotties( 5-6 RR)...
Mary Anne had a different team in the 2015 National Scotties..

Colleen will likely do as she has done before..
try for the Women's NS title ...if that doesnt work will enter the Seniors category..

Colleen is now 56, Kelly- 53 , Nancy D-57.. not sure how they might do..

01-07-16 09:37AM
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks

try for the Women's NS title ...if that doesnt work will enter the Seniors category..

Here is how Colleen Jones looks at things herself. From Twitter.
https://twitter.com/cbccolleenjones...872832069840896

01-07-16 01:10PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

She is already registered for seniors, deadline was the 5th.

01-08-16 07:51AM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:

Colleen threw 2nd stones for Arsenault but held the broom in the house when Arsenault threw her skip rocks.. And it was at the 2013 Scott tournament of hearts... Nova Scotia was represented by the Smith/Brothers combo in 2014..

I was at a bookstore yesterday afternoon and had a few hours to kill so I read Colleen jones biography..

One thing I didnt know was the Jones team was one of the 1st females teams to use a sports psychologist.. And Jones said that was one of the biggest reasons they won 4 Scotties in a row.. Once other female teams did the same they "caught" up to the Jones team and the Jones dynasty was over but there were other factors that led to them no longer being the best female team in Canada

When they broke up in 2006 it was implied in the media some/all of the members on that team were tired of Jones ultra competitive zeal and pushing to be the best and the other 3 girls were burned out and wanted to stop curling with Jones and needed a break.. And here we are 10 years later and Delahunt and Kelly are back curling with her... Mostly because they maintained the friendship every now and then they curl with jones from time to time

01-08-16 08:03AM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

At the 2013 Scotties the games I saw Nova Scotia play Arsenault was the skip and Jones threw 2nd stones..Jones was constantly undermining Mary Anne and telling her what shots to play you could tell Mary Anne was losing confidence and probably wasn't happy with all the input and direction she was getting from Jones..

If I was Mary Anne I wouldn't leave a situation where I have 3 young curlers and Im the supreme boss to go back to being bossed around by Jones again

01-08-16 08:05AM
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

quote:
In her mid-fifties Colleen Jones is having the time of her life!

Indeed she is. Good for her.

01-08-16 10:08AM
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World
At the 2013 Scotties the games I saw Nova Scotia play Arsenault was the skip and Jones threw 2nd stones..Jones was constantly undermining Mary Anne and telling her what shots to play you could tell Mary Anne was losing confidence and probably wasn't happy with all the input and direction she was getting from Jones..

If I was Mary Anne I wouldn't leave a situation where I have 3 young curlers and Im the supreme boss to go back to being bossed around by Jones again

Here is a video of the 2013 Scotties. You can decide if she got on Mary Anne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcFj7lT5s8

01-08-16 10:57AM
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by gbgorr

Here is a video of the 2013 Scotties. You can decide if she got on Mary Anne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcFj7lT5s8

Go to the 9th end. First sign I could see of possible disagreement and not sure it was that.

01-08-16 11:16AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

2013 Scotties

quote:
At the 2013 Scotties the games I saw Nova Scotia play Arsenault was the skip and Jones threw 2nd stones..Jones was constantly undermining Mary Anne and

Colleen's job was to manage the house when Mary Anne took her shots
If she was merely a "second".. there might be some question about input..

01-08-16 02:45PM
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

Where do you think Colleen Jones finishes at NS Scotties Provincials later this month.

1.Win
    2.Second
    3 Middle of the pack
    4.Back of the pack

Be kinda nice if Curling Zone had a poll option too.

Last edited by gbgorr on 01-08-16 at 02:50PM

01-08-16 03:23PM
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by gbgorr
Where do you think Colleen Jones finishes at NS Scotties Provincials later this month.

1.Win
    2.Second
    3 Middle of the pack
    4.Back of the pack

Be kinda nice if Curling Zone had a poll option too.

My vote, based on emotion, is for her to win. Like she said in her book, if Tom Watson can almost win British Open why can't she win?

01-08-16 04:57PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:

I remember that. It was painful to watch Mary Anne make poor decisions over and over, and that's why I couldn't really blame Colleen for making "suggestions" for a better or sometimes the only call. It really depends if M.A. wants to ever win again at a high level like the STOH. The cold hard reality and her record shows that she isn't talented enough to compete at this level as skip. Colleen Jones was/is the skip of this team. Mary Anne can either swallow her pride and go back to throwing 2nd stones for CJ and compete at a high level or continue skipping her own team at a moderate level in Nova Scotia. I hope this doesn't come off sounding too harsh.

Last edited by johnnysmoke on 01-08-16 at 05:03PM

01-08-16 05:05PM
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
I remember that. It was painful to watch Mary Anne make poor decisions over and over, and that's why I couldn't really blame Colleen for making "suggestions" for a better or sometimes the only call. It really depends if M.A. wants to ever win again at a high level like the STOH. The cold hard reality and her record shows that she isn't talented enough to compete at this level as skip. Colleen Jones was/is the skip of this team. Mary Anne can either swallow her pride and go back to throwing 2nd stones for CJ and compete at a high level or continue skipping her own team at a moderate level in Nova Scotia. I hope this doesn't come off sounding too harsh.

Some good points. However Mary Anne won Nova Scotia last year. I believe she will never be as good a skip as Colleen but I think the ship has sailed.

01-08-16 05:06PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Johhnysmoke ...agree^^^

MA has always wanted to be skip..they broke up a great team because of this (?)..

They got back together in this 2013 year to try for an Oly spot..
Full-circle.. the difference of Opinion of MAA aggressive
versus CJ defensive but winning.. showed up again..

I admire all these women in Nova Scotia who try everything in their power to get to a higher level..
Somehow Colleen pulled it off over several years..

The Real issue is that a Team has to have a ton of sponsorship,
time, talent etc to play in as many higher level events as they can

They dont seem to be able to do that.. so I doubt there will be any great wins in the foreseeable future

01-08-16 07:44PM
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

One thing that the Jones team did to try and overcome the lack of competition prior to the Scotties was to play agasint the mens teams in bonspiels across the atlantic provinces..

In Colleens book she kinda implied after they lost the 2005 Scotties and there 4 year streak was over there confidence took a hit and deep down they never got it back it kinda sounded from reading her words that they were kidding themselves thinking they could win the 2005 curling trials and 2006 Scotties

In my opinion the Jones team that won Scotties in 2003 and 2004 won those Scotties against fairly weak fields and once the Jenny Jones/Kelly Scott/Shannon Kleibrinks hit there stride in 2005 and into 2006 they passed the Nova Scotia Jones team and their domination days were over

01-08-16 10:05PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

There was no lull in women's curling during the Colleen Jones team dynasty. However there was a decade-long lull in Manitoba women's curling during which none of those teams managed to sniff a finals.

I recall the main C.J. competition during those years were the Kelley Law team out of B.C. and Sherry Anderson's team from Sask. Cathy King/Borst was in the mix as well. If you look at the Olympic trials for Salt Lake City, it came down to those final three, all of which would have been fine representatives as Team Canada.

It really would be something remarkable for Colleen Jones to qualify (win?!) the national championship 34 years after her first.

01-08-16 10:26PM
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:

But when JJ, Scott & Kleibrink powered up the gig was up. Colleen, despite her most ardent attempts couldn't get any more out of her squad. . . . . and Scott & JJ kept getting better. Kleibrink was probably just as good as either but had a far more competitive province to get out of - and as history records, she couldn't!

Revisionist recollection. They were competitive for a few more years. In the 2006 Scotties Nova Scotia had an 8-3 W/L record and beat J. Jones and her Manitoba rink in the round robin.

01-09-16 09:33AM
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke

It really would be something remarkable for Colleen Jones to qualify (win?!) the national championship 34 years after her first. [/B]

Yes it would be. It would be a helluva story.

01-09-16 10:50AM
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

quote:

They ended up with the brown medal!

End of dynasty! Period!

It was indeed a dynasty's end, however that has happened to many teams too. They had a great run.

My interest is to simply see if somehow they could make it back. Would be a helluva story.

As Colleen said herself on Twitter they are on a Mission From God.
https://twitter.com/cbccolleenjones...872832069840896

01-09-16 11:32AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

colleen helps NS curling

The fact that CJ and her team seem to be in great shape..
and able to compete in a really tough journey like the Scotties
does a lot to help keep Nova Scotia women's curling going

I really doubt they will win NS.. hope they do
But they would also be in super deep at the National Scotties

Colleen is a inspiring role model to show a person can
achieve whatever they want with dedication and hard work..
and get right back up after a Life-threatening health scare..

01-09-16 11:39AM
gbgorr
Hitting Paint

Re: colleen helps NS curling

quote:
The fact that CJ and her team seem to be in great shape..
and able to compete in a really tough journey like the Scotties
does a lot to help keep Nova Scotia women's curling going

I really doubt they will win NS.. hope they do
But they would also be in super deep at the National Scotties

Colleen is a inspiring role model to show a person can
achieve whatever they want with dedication and hard work..
and get right back up after a Life-threatening health scare..

Well said.

Here is the record for Colleen Jones. Impressive.
http://ca.wow.com/wiki/Colleen_Jones

Last edited by gbgorr on 01-09-16 at 04:07PM