M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > The Olympic Qualifying Event (OQE)

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 7 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-19-13 05:12PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

The Olympic Qualifying Event (OQE)

Here are the teams for the OQE that will be competing against team Shuster. Note that Dufour is not playing in the European championship, which I find interesting.

Japan, Korea and New Zealand just finished 2,3,4 at the PACC.

Again, I see a four team race for the two spots. US, Czech, Japan, NZ.

Picking the US and Czech Republic.

JH
Tuck will now call me an idiot

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-19-13 06:01PM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

Not only are the French sending a B Team to the Europeans, but so are the Finns. Not to get too off topic, but I think it provides Latvia a great opportunity to remain in Group A this time around.

Germany, however, are sending the same team to the Europeans and Olympic qualifier. Even if neither of the teams qualify it will be interesting to see which strategy works best, both for Sochi and next year's Euros.

11-20-13 04:21AM
curlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlo Click here to Send curlo a Private Message Find more posts by curlo Add curlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlo
Harvey Hacksmasher

I can tell you that Finland is not sending their "B team" to the Europeans. Team rantamaki will be their reps and they are the defending finnish champs. I believe kauste came third. Also rantamaki had quite some success on the champions tour this year, including qualifying first in their group in Edinburgh.

11-20-13 08:57AM
SargentIV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SargentIV Click here to Send SargentIV a Private Message Find more posts by SargentIV Add SargentIV to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SargentIV
Harvey Hacksmasher

I didn't know Kauste's team finished third at their Nationals. They were Finland's representatives at the World Championships and are going to the Olympic qualifier so I assumed they were the top team. It's good that they have at least two teams that are relatively equal in quality with two major events close together.

11-24-13 09:32AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Early in the ECC, Czech Republic and Finland are 0-fer and Germany is undefeated. Tough to judge how France will do since Dufour is not playing in the ECC.

Revising my call a bit on the OQE, looks like US, Japan and Germany in 3 team race.

11-24-13 01:44PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Now wait just a dang minute! I was kind'a trashed in a different thread by Misty and some other guy I've never heard of before (Jerry Guertzie?) for merely suggesting that the dear old USA could even compete with the might Czechs and unstoppable French. Shall we give them a chance to recant?

JH is proceeding well in his effort to pick every Men's team in the field to qualify. In private (well, private before I decided to blab it in a public forum), he was all about the Kiwis all the time. Practically guaranteeing a NZ romp on their way to Sochi. (I intentionally overstated his position to get a rise in his blood pressure. It amuses me.)

I'm tellin' ya again: The key to international success is week after week of tough competition. Ask any World champion. Check their bios.

If that is true, then you have to look towards the USA and Japan to come out of The Men's Olympic Qualifier. Olympic committees in the other nations will come to regret withholding significant funding until after the Qualifier.

Now curling is curling and strange things happen. I think that, if you played this event 10 times, USA and Japan would advance about 5 times. However, the German team playing at home might surprise me. New Zeeland is coming off their winter, so that might be an edge (an insight that I stole from JH). Still, I consider the USA as one of the favorites and Japan as the best longshot.

Ben Tucker

11-24-13 01:52PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Are neglecting the Women's side of The Qualifier? I realize that our gals are straight in for Sochi, but the Ladies' in Fussen should also interest us here in the USA threads.

Most interesting, in my mind, is that you can pretty much write China down in ink for one of the two Sochi spots. 7-0 in the very early Fort Wayne Cash...won another early spiel in Alberta...undefeated crushing of a very good field in the Prestige Hotels...lost the finals of the Autumn Gold...then was on the wrong end of one-point games in the Slam.

We in the USA need these talented Chinese ladies to lose The Qualifier. I don't see it happening, but curling is curling and upsets happen all the time.

That, unfortunately, is not my prediction. I predict a Pacific Tsunami as China and Japan roll through this field.

Ben Tucker
Would love to go to Fussen

11-24-13 04:52PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Ok, my turn. Tuck, your an idiot(inside joke folks). Jiri Snitil is not there at the ECC this week. Not sure why but Martin Snitil is skipping. So, I am back on the Czech band wagon unless he is seriously hurt. Any info out there?

JH
Yes, unfortunately, Tuck is a friend of mine

11-24-13 05:09PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Let's also not forget that Germany is undefeated in the B-group at the ECC, so they are not playing as tough a group of teams as the Czechs and Finns are.

11-25-13 03:57PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

The Czechs have really been struggling in Stavanger and their stock come down quite a bit heading into the Olymmpic Qualifying event. Jiri Snitil skipped the first 3 games for the team, but has been on the bench since after posting numbers of 61, 55 and 67% in those games.

The team will need to get things turned around in Stavanger just to get the country back to the Worlds before they even consider this event.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

11-25-13 03:59PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

I read that Jiri is sick and wants to make sure he is available and not worn out for the OQE. They are struggling in the ECC.

11-25-13 04:47PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Come on, Gerry...drink the Kool-Aid. Predict one of the spots for the USA. Do it.

JH has picked 5 nations so far...only three to go. You can do it, Snarky (yep, we're friends). Korea isn't bad at all.

Just kicking back and having some fun. Now on to more serious stuff:

It has been mentioned that Face's young front end has limited experience and that may prove to be detrimental. Possibly true, even if I don't see it happening. Tough to pick the perfect front end. You want youth on those brooms, but experience is always a plus. In this case, I think they are experienced enough and their talent will outshine their inexperience. The one thing I hope to see is them settling themselves before Face throws a clutch shot. It is far harder to sweep an important draw then it is to throw one. Sweepers need to take deep breathes...just like good shooter.

I love Shoostie's game. He does have a tendency to overthink one or two shots per game and his front end does not yet tell him when he is over-the-top. In general, Shoostie's ability to call a good game will be one of the team's strengths, but he does tend to draw an extra rock into the four-foot when he probably should just rip a guard (against Brady in the first round robin and against Pete in first playoff game).

Tons of talent and plenty of brains. I love our chances of advancing to Sochi.

Ben Tucker

11-25-13 05:25PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

So I will add Canada, Norway, Sweden and Scotland to my picks to contend at the OQE. Wait, they aren't playing? Crap.

So, US, Czech Republic, NZ, Japan. Germany, who knows. France, why would be they not be at the ECC. Finland, Korea yeah would need some kind of major stomach flu to hit the OQE.

I will go back to my original concept - US, CR, NZ and Japan. Final two - US and NZ.

JH

11-25-13 05:50PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
So I will add Canada, Norway, Sweden and Scotland to my picks to contend at the OQE. Wait, they aren't playing? Crap.

So, US, Czech Republic, NZ, Japan. Germany, who knows. France, why would be they not be at the ECC. Finland, Korea yeah would need some kind of major stomach flu to hit the OQE.

I will go back to my original concept - US, CR, NZ and Japan. Final two - US and NZ.

JH

France are there.

11-26-13 08:05AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

The French team at the Euros is not the one that will be at the OQE. Dufour is playing in the OQE, Vincent playing in the ECC. Doesn't make sense.

11-26-13 09:50AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
The French team at the Euros is not the one that will be at the OQE. Dufour is playing in the OQE, Vincent playing in the ECC. Doesn't make sense.

maybe france had a national playdown and vincent beat him

11-26-13 12:19PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Thomas Dufour lost the Semifinals of the French Championship last February to a team from Megeve, who went on to lose the final to Joffrey Vincent of St. Gervais. The French National Champions are the team selected to compete in the European Championships.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

11-26-13 07:26PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Letting your National champions advance? Now that is just crazy talk.

Ben Tucker

11-26-13 08:16PM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Letting your National champions advance? Now that is just crazy talk.

Ben Tucker

Here's the problem. France will miss the Worlds again, and be relegated to the B division for next year's European Championships. The French Ice Sports Federation cut funding last year after Dufour didn't make it to Worlds, and now I wonder how much more they take out of it after the country gets relegated?

Poor results at International events will have a devastating effect on funding at home. Would the USOC still fund curling the same in the USA if teams start missing the Olympics?

Luckily for the USA, they're not part of a qualifying system where they need to be worried about missing the World Championships on any given year.

11-26-13 08:34PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlo
I can tell you that Finland is not sending their "B team" to the Europeans. Team rantamaki will be their reps and they are the defending finnish champs. I believe kauste came third. Also rantamaki had quite some success on the champions tour this year, including qualifying first in their group in Edinburgh.

Looks like their B team to me, Rantamaki have been horrible at the Euros, will probably be relegated, Kauste didn't do that.

11-27-13 12:21AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Poor results at International events will have a devastating effect on funding at home. Would the USOC still fund curling the same in the USA if teams start missing the Olympics?

Luckily for the USA, they're not part of a qualifying system where they need to be worried about missing the World Championships on any given year.

But given the American men's iffy status for the 2014 Olympic games and given all the $$$ that US television antes up to cover the games, might we see those $$$ getting the IOC to change Olympic curling to include 2 teams from the western hemisphere for future games?

11-27-13 12:34AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

More to the point:

Should France then send Dufour over and over again until he finally dies of old age? Nope. Send Vincent or whomever won the right to go. Even in a curling outland like France, depth matters and right is right.

Ben Tucker

11-27-13 03:50AM
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

But given the American men's iffy status for the 2014 Olympic games and given all the $$$ that US television antes up to cover the games, might we see those $$$ getting the IOC to change Olympic curling to include 2 teams from the western hemisphere for future games?

What you're saying is that "If we're not good enough, let's change the rules so we can still get a spot?"

Doubt that will ever happen, the rest of the World isn't going to vote to sacrifice one of their own spots to make sure the USA has a berth in the Olympics.

11-27-13 12:37PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I think more likely would be the Olympics giving Curling 2 more teams per gender, so 12/12.

This would mirror the Worlds, have minimal impact on Olympic facilities (20 more athletes, no need for more facilities, as nothing other than curling happens at the curling venue, so even if the event has to go an extra day, no issue).

11-27-13 03:22PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Seems to me that if Dufour can't win the French championship, and the team that does win it can't do well enough to reach Worlds, why assume that Dufour automatically would do well enough? I mean, either have a championship or don't.

The knee-jerk reaction of cutting funding after failing to reach Worlds is pretty unfortunate and misguided, given that a result like that more likely means that the team or teams need MORE funding to compete better. Now if they bump up funding for a couple of years and there's no improvement, you have a justification there.