M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 24 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-17-14 02:05PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

CurlBC, not you, me or anyone else here, makes the final call on eligibility. They made their decision, as is their right, and it's now in the past. Many will have different opinions as to whether they made the right decision, but it's kind of a moot point right now.

The recent comments against you were made because of your need/desire to further criticize Morris by suggesting the game has surpassed him. Why don't you explain to us how a guy who skipped his team to the finals of both the Olympic Trials and the Briar is past his prime? How exactly did you come to that conclusion?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.78.26.214

04-17-14 02:21PM
Unregistered

A 26 page thread about big team changes, and 14 of those about John Morris and CurlBC rules. What's going on here? Can we move all the butthurt Westerners to a different hidden forum and get back on topic?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 63.73.69.132

04-17-14 02:45PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Lets make the rules clear on eligibility so everyone understands.

To play in BC you must be a permanent resident before Sept 1 of the season. This is stated clearly in the Curl BC rulebook.

To account for situation changes there is a reasonable and fair exemption process.

You have three reasons for your appeal, education, work (full time) and residing in a border area with no nearby club save a BC one.

Please tell me which one qualifies Morris.

The job also starts this summer, many months after the BC playdowns. You'd think you'd have to establish your residency before the playdowns, not after. You can't start driving at 15 and say you are turning 16 in the summer. You can't start collecting pay cheques if you haven't started work. The same logic should have applied here. This was a big sham by CurlBC and Morris.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-17-14 02:50PM
Unregistered

If people want to talk about the issue (personally I think it's a moot point), that's their business. That's what a "forum" is. If it annoys you so much, skip the Morris comments rather than insulting "westerners".

04-17-14 02:57PM
Unregistered

quote:
If people want to talk about the issue (personally I think it's a moot point), that's their business. That's what a "forum" is. If it annoys you so much, skip the Morris comments rather than insulting "westerners".

Forums also have specific thread topics, and the one about John Morris in the BC Playdowns thread was so filled with vitriol that Gerry had to shut it down.

Also, I only insulted the "butthurt Westerners" who derail threads and dilute all the newsworthy information.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 63.73.69.132

04-17-14 03:20PM
Unregistered

quote:
Lets make the rules clear on eligibility so everyone understands.

To play in BC you must be a permanent resident before Sept 1 of the season. This is stated clearly in the Curl BC rulebook.

To account for situation changes there is a reasonable and fair exemption process.

You have three reasons for your appeal, education, work (full time) and residing in a border area with no nearby club save a BC one.

Please tell me which one qualifies Morris.

End of argument. Thank you for this info.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.5.81

04-17-14 05:08PM
Unregistered

quote:
CurlBC, not you, me or anyone else here, makes the final call on eligibility. They made their decision, as is their right, and it's now in the past. Many will have different opinions as to whether they made the right decision, but it's kind of a moot point right now.

The recent comments against you were made because of your need/desire to further criticize Morris by suggesting the game has surpassed him. Why don't you explain to us how a guy who skipped his team to the finals of both the Olympic Trials and the Briar is past his prime? How exactly did you come to that conclusion?

You got the wrong poster bud. I never said Morris was past his prime. Far from it. Personally, as I've said previously, I wish he had truly located here and become a member of a BC community. Whenever this has happened in the past: Sparks, Folk, Ryan, McAulay, Scott etc. BC curling and those individuals, have benefitted.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.176

04-17-14 10:45PM
Unregistered

Sorry fort the error. Cheers.

04-19-14 04:50PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Latest rumour on the Koe team is that John Morris will skip Pat Simmons, Carter Rycroft and Nolan Thiessen, playing the Canada Cup, Continental Cup, and Brier as Team Canada. Scott Bailey will join the team for the Grand Slams and any other events they will be playing. The new Team Canada lineup is expected to be announced next week.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-19-14 04:59PM
Unregistered

Way to go Johnny Mo. Play out of bc, almost win the brier, announce a year sabbatical to not play with cotter only to accept 2 weeks later to play with the guys that beat you in the final.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.114.39.109

04-19-14 05:24PM
Unregistered

Watch bailey sub in for mead and team Howard for ontario playdowns aswell

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.151.61.6

04-19-14 09:26PM
Unregistered

quote:
Way to go Johnny Mo. Play out of bc, almost win the brier, announce a year sabbatical to not play with cotter only to accept 2 weeks later to play with the guys that beat you in the final.

What do you expect from an opportunist.

At least now he won't feel 'awkward' about wearing the colours of a province he doesn't live or work in. LMFAO.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.147

04-19-14 10:31PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

1. When John Morris left Team Martin last year, there were not a a lot of options, and the one that he felt had the best chance to compete at the Olympic Trials was Cotter. Jim has always had a reputation as one of the better last rock throwers in the game and Morris wasn't going to invest the time with a team he didn't think could compete.

2. Morris announced his sabbatical, with expectations that he would actually take the year off. There were several options for the rest of Team Koe to add for next season, but none seemed to progress and it sounds like they made the offer to John and it was left up to John as to whether he wanted it. He didn't go out seeking the position from the sounds of things.

3. For John, it makes more sense to curl in Alberta and with options to do so, he may have found this opportunity to be something for him to thrive in the game.

It seems his one-year playing out of British Columbia was mostly due to the lack of other great options. If John is going to be taking over with Team Canada, I couldn't be happier for him.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-20-14 12:04AM
Unregistered

quote:

What do you expect from an opportunist.

At least now he won't feel 'awkward' about wearing the colours of a province he doesn't live or work in. LMFAO.

Give him some credit, he well this year out perfectly just like a coach or even a chess player. How anybody can be happy for him is beyond common sense.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24

04-20-14 04:05AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

Sheesh. You guys going on and on and on and on and on and on about Morris really should make a doctor's appointment to get the bug out of your ass.

Good for John. Hope this new rumour is true and that he has a great year.

04-20-14 04:29AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

I'm happy for anyone willing to put in the thankless hours of practice, training, effort, travel, etc. to elevate their game and take our sport to ever-higher levels. Morris is clearly a dedicated athlete who loves the game. He's not my first choice of people to cheer for, but I'm so glad he's out there working so hard to try to be the best. The sport needs more John Morrises. Congrats to the new Team Canada.

04-20-14 07:59AM
jzwanzig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jzwanzig Click here to Send jzwanzig a Private Message Find more posts by jzwanzig Add jzwanzig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jzwanzig
Harvey Hacksmasher

Morris like Armstrong? Lance Armstrong is an admitted cheat and liar. John Morris may not be the guy you want to root for or have a beer with, and he's a pretty harsh competitor, but he's not a cheat or a liar. He doesn't bring shame to curling the way Armstrong and all the other dopers have to competitive cycling.

04-20-14 08:58AM
Unregistered

It seems like poor John Morris can't win with some of the posters. I am happy he decided to curl next year. Sounds like they needed him more than he needed them. As Gerry mentioned he didn't go looking but this opportunity but good for all.
If everyone is so bent out of shape about people jumping provinces then why no comments about Scott Bailey, Joanne Courtney, Jon Mead, Brett Laing, Jen Jones, Pat Simmons etc etc etc. more and more now.
Perhaps the teams all know something we don't? Is the CCA now allowing one out of province player per team ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 64.229.80.163

04-20-14 09:13AM
CurlingRH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingRH Click here to Send CurlingRH a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingRH Add CurlingRH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingRH
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jzwanzig
Morris like Armstrong? Lance Armstrong is an admitted cheat and liar. John Morris may not be the guy you want to root for or have a beer with, and he's a pretty harsh competitor, but he's not a cheat or a liar. He doesn't bring shame to curling the way Armstrong and all the other dopers have to competitive cycling.

I agree, I'm no Morris fan, but these ongoing comparisons with Lance Armstrong are way over the top. Morris isn't the real bad guy here ... that honor goes to Curl BC for stretching their own rules beyond recognition in granting Morris the exemption.

As long as Morris meets his summer obligations (gee, a few weeks fishing and flashing his gold medals on the West Coast ... tough gig), this is over. He's clearly not coming back to BC any time soon.

Since his Junior days, John has been a lightning rod ... you either love him or hate him. He's extremely talented, extremely confident, extremely intense and has shown a remarkable knack for finding controversy.

It looks like he has a new team now, so we'll see how that goes. I'm guessing he won't be doing hot yoga with Carter, but you never know. I do know Pat is going to have his hands full keeping the peace, because Carter and Nolan are not shy about voicing their opinions on shot selection (or anything else).

04-20-14 12:57PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
I'm happy for anyone willing to put in the thankless hours of practice, training, effort, travel, etc. to elevate their game and take our sport to ever-higher levels. Morris is clearly a dedicated athlete who loves the game. He's not my first choice of people to cheer for, but I'm so glad he's out there working so hard to try to be the best. The sport needs more John Morrises. Congrats to the new Team Canada.

I'm agreeing with you totally. Best of luck John Morris in wherever your heart leads you.

04-20-14 01:16PM
Unregistered

I've posted several times staunchly defending Morris, but if he does indeed adopt a part-time skipping schedule with the ex-Koe team in 2014-15 it does seem a little cheesy.

The comparisons to Lance Armstrong are ridiculous; he was an admitted cheater and a bully. Morris plays the game fairly and seems like a nice guy. But this recent decision (I'll only play the events I want) - if true - does paint him as a total opportunist. And that's not all that flattering IMO.

04-20-14 01:19PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

I'm agreeing with you totally. Best of luck John Morris in wherever your heart leads you.

Yep so glad that we will be able to watch Johnny Mo next year!

04-20-14 03:03PM
Unregistered

Johnmorriszone.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.251.103.123

04-20-14 03:18PM
Unregistered

Why does anyone care about Morris in BC?? its not like BC can produce their own talent. The only time BC has been close at a brier in the last 30 years was with guys like Folk (Sask Import) MaCaully (MB Import) and Ryan (MB/AB import) BC shouldn't be mad at Morris they should try to pay him to stay.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.71.44.251

04-20-14 05:20PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

Cougars everywhere are rejoicing and toasting with a carafe of Merlot...