W: Rick Cotter Memorial Junior Women
M: Curl Saskatoon U17 Men's Junior Classic
W: Curl Saskatoon U17 Women's Junior Classic
W: Curl Saskatoon U21 Women's Junior Classic
M: Curl Saskatoon U21 Men's Junior Classic
M: WCT Austrian Mixed Doubles Cup
W: Stirling Wheelchair Curling International
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

Curling Pick'em

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > World Womens Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 20 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-18-13 04:12PM
Dackle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dackle Click here to Send Dackle a Private Message Find more posts by Dackle Add Dackle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dackle
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

yes it is. Rachel has eanred the nickname(for some) of the ice queen because she's very stoic on the ice. You dont see alot of emotion from her at all

That's not entirely true, Misty1. I have seen more than one broom slam and have heard a bit of cussing so there is some emotion there. I've yet to see a smile. She is very businesslike and doesn't seem relaxed.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-18-13 04:16PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so 23-7 after today. Im still waiting for that day when every game i pick turns out the opposite of what i thought

DRAW 9:

Switzerland v.s The United States
The US is coming off a huge win over canada however i think we need to put things in perspective: If it was not for erika and the fact that both rachel and emma struggled big time then canada would have won that game. That being said the Us will take confidence from the win and this is very winnable. Switzerland are a little lucky not to be 2-3 ..they kind of escaped a loss against japan. Switzerland will try and stop the bleeding and keep among the top

Winner: its tricky to call but im going with The United States, honestly though this could go either way

Russia v.s Denmark
Denmark is now 1-4 and in a must win situation. Their playoff hopes are slim and they'll need to win out now(presumably). Its a winnable match for both and , again this is one that could go either way and is extremely difficult to call. Russia does look the stronger of the 2 teams so far at this event though

Winner: Russia

German v.s china

This championship at this point is more than likely already done for china. at 5 losses its now all about playing for pride and trying to rack up some olympic points. Germany has been up and down at this event but they've still looked the stronger of the 2. Andrea has struggled with china is the past ..we'll see what she can do

Winner: China

Italy v.s Japan

This is a good chance for italy to get itself back to 500 , its also a chance for japan to keep itself in contention. Japan has a really good team but italy seems to have finally gotten a hold on the ice and i'd say diana will out think the young japanese skip

winner: Italy

DRAW 10:

Latvia v.s Russia

Latvia is still looking for their first win and they'll still be looking after this. The russians just have to much for the latvians

Winner: Russia

China v.s Sweden
Sweden have looked really good so far , its kind of hard to imagine china having enough to stop them. However with only pride to play for china might just come out firing ..they almost clawed back against this team after giving them 5 last year.

Winner: sweden

Italy v.s Canada
To say rachel and the team look shaky this week i think is an accurate statement. They havent looked like the team they did in kingston. They should still have toi much for italy..even if the italians come in riding a 3 game win streak

winner: Canada

Switzerland v.s Scotland

Silvana has a really good history with eve..granted that you usually cant take cash tour into account but that might give her confidence going into this. Switzerland started off hot but they had a tough day today and could be in for another one here. Eve is growing in confidence and had a nice come from behind win over china today

Winner: Scotland

DRAW 11:

Denmark v.s Germany

The struggling danes against the up and down germans. Its a difficult match to call becase denmark is probably the favorite if they are playing well..and they dont appear to be. Lene is running scared and playing defensive and if she tries to out hit germany she will lose

winner: Germany

Latvia v.s Scotland

This team has a win over eve in a cash event earlier this year but i wouldnt put to much into that. Eve and the scottish team should have way to much for the latvian side. Latvia can keep it close for a bit but , much like with sweden and canada 1 bad end will cost them

winner: scotland

Japan v.s The United States

The young japanese side are really good shot makers and experience doesnt seem to matter with them. They have impressed me so far and i do think this is a winnable match for them, the US will have to be on guard.

Winner: Japan

Sweden v.s Canada

Rachel hasnt looked herself here and sweden has looked head and shoulders above everyone else so far.If canada has any hope of winning this they'll have to bring their best..and even then it might not be enough if sweden keepos it up. It should be an exciting match at the least because both do like an aggressive style and both really arent afraid to try much

Winner: sweden

03-18-13 04:23PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Im not surprised at all that the US beat canada. However canada didnt play that well and neither did the US. Erika saved them time and time again

Just wanted to say that i wanted to come back on here and change my pick and go with italy over china. but i never got the chance. I knew italy had a shot going in if they could figure things out and they did

03-18-13 04:43PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Im not surprised at all that the US beat canada. However canada didnt play that well and neither did the US. Erika saved them time and time again

Just wanted to say that i wanted to come back on here and change my pick and go with italy over china. but i never got the chance. I knew italy had a shot going in if they could figure things out and they did

\

What is it that they say about hindsight???

03-18-13 04:55PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

I was away and didn't see the Canada/US game but noticed that the Canadian front end played well but Rachel a lot less so, especially the draws. Well, in 11 games, a player is entitled to ONE bad day at the office. However, with a six way tie for third any more bad performances could be a recipe for disaster.

As for the fellow commenting on the physique of the American players he is no doubt now aware of another American expression, "eating crow".

03-18-13 05:36PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Huge win for the United states tonight

Massive log jam of teams tied for 3rd now

Canada, united states, japan, germany, switzerland and russia all at 3-2.

Homan has a few problems NOW.

Most of the international teams get extremely 'jacked up' when facing a team of such renown.

Also, Rachel's confidence appears somewhat brittle - given some of her 'throw-thrus' and missed key shots (draw for a deuce vs. USA one prime example)

Have to think Sweden will now float to 1st place - only 3 of the 6 log-jammed teams you stated get to the playoff party.

Rachel may only be able to afford one more LOSS to avoid a potential tie-breaker. Consider she's got a GIANT MATCHUP vs. Sweden she'll need to pull a bag of tricks out of her team to upend the Swedish side.

btw - is Earle Morris on an extended nap?

Only positive thing for a Jennifer Jones fan like myself - at least Homan knows what the weight of carrying Canada's colors on your shoulders is NOW! During the Scotts she was the huntress and picked at the bones of all who dared enter her lare. Now, she's the hunted.

03-18-13 05:42PM
Dackle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dackle Click here to Send Dackle a Private Message Find more posts by Dackle Add Dackle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dackle
Hitting Paint

perhaps writing them in trouble is a bit premature, ML. Homan only has two losses.

I am surprised at how unremarkable Canada is playing. I read all the hype and saw how they dominated at the Scotties and must admit I am disappointed, but there's lots of time left so a bit early to panic, just yet , I think.

03-18-13 05:53PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

As for the posters who are criticizing Homan for being 'stoic' I wouldn't give much validity to that. At the STOH she was very stoic, almost mean in appearance and seldom spoke more than a sentence in interviews.

During the gap between STOH and Worlds she did many natioanal TV interviews and opened up quite a bit, sometimes even more than Emma Miskew who usually accompanied Rachel on these interviews and Emma has tons more public experience in modelling, etc.

Let me remind you of other significant personnas.

1. Connie Laliberte - the Original ICE QUEEN, was often described as not only unemotional - but stone-faced. Connie rarely showed anything and you couldn't read the game situation from her looks.

2. Jennifer Jones - JJ is a virtual Helen Hunt compared to either Laliberte or Homan but she's been criticized far more fiercely than either of the other two for looking remorseless or vicious with her demeanour. JJ was always on extra edge when curling with Cathy O for some reason as her curling philosophy didn't suit playing with Overton-Clapham (a Laliberte residual)
but in her mid to late 30s Jones is easily the most recognizable athlete in her sport, a great interview (she's a trained lawyer who does many public speaking engagements every year) and the greatest asset in the women's game.

Even though Homan will probably be rated slightly ahead of Jen for the Trials spot - I suspect many of the other canadian teams are watching the worlds with interest and making notes on how to play Team Homan properly. Even JJ must realize that throwing all caution to the wind vs. a shooter like Homan was a mistake and cost her a fifth canadian title!!!

03-18-13 06:00PM
Dackle
Hitting Paint

My comments about Homan's demeanor on the ice are not criticism, It is an observation. I haven't seen very much of this team so I didn't know if this is the way she always presents.

I have seen her slam the broom, I have heard her swear, so I know she is capable of emotion.

Not criticizing, just commenting.

03-18-13 06:00PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Dackle
perhaps writing them in trouble is a bit premature, ML. Homan only has two losses.

I am surprised at how unremarkable Canada is playing. I read all the hype and saw how they dominated at the Scotties and must admit I am disappointed, but there's lots of time left so a bit early to panic, just yet , I think.

No, you're right Dacks, I can't read the future so I don't know whats in the cards. Going thru the remainder of the round-robin with only 2 wins will certainly put them into the 1-2 game, but taking an L from Sweden might put them on the edge of playoff qualifcation and also gives them no other margin for losses (other than hoping for a math mess at the end for tie-breakers)

As I noted during the STOH, Jennifer Jones might have been incapable of handing Homan a horse-whipping - she was only able to win tight, tough-fought matches while Homan was fully capable of blitzing JJ.

Same vs. Sweden. If you think Homan is somewhat fragile NOW, what will she be like if Sigfriddson lays a lickin' on her? Her status might be lowered to 'Wounded Fawn' if Sweden does that.

At this point, playoff qualification is the main thing. If you get in, even at 7-4 it really only matters if you can heat things up at the right time. Cuz we all know that there are some teams that go 11-0 thru the round robin and crap out when the juice is on the line (cough***cough))))

03-18-13 06:33PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Rachel may only be able to afford one more LOSS to avoid a potential tie-breaker. Consider she's got a GIANT MATCHUP vs. Sweden she'll need to pull a bag of tricks out of her team to upend the Swedish side.

They are obviously not yelling. All of them never seem to play well at the same time. Almost as if they do just enough to win. But after five games they should be in overdrive. Obviously they are well in the playoff hunt but the 1-2 game is in serious jeopardy. They need to win all remaining games, including against Sweden, and hope for a couple of Scots' losses.

03-18-13 06:42PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

How would you compare a typical JJ performance with Homan's (at the worlds)?

03-18-13 06:53PM
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
How would you compare a typical JJ performance with Homan's (at the worlds)?

She has only played five games but at this point I would say Jones would have played better. Jenn's soft-underbelly seems to be the playoffs.

03-18-13 07:00PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Click here to Send Nine Ender a Private Message Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Dackle

I firmly believe the facility just isn't conducive to top notch Curling from any of these teams. The quoted draw weight time around end 3 today was slower then we get in most club games. Seems to be a lot of ridges too.

Mediocre, inconsistant ice tends to be a great equalizer, making many games close and its much more of a fight to rise above every one and win. Some historic Canadian teams rise above this challenge and win, some don't. I believe Homan will have numerous titles in her career, but at her team's current age this is a real test. Way too early to discount their chances. With teams like Switzerland coming back to the pack its not going to take a lot of wins to make playoffs this year.

Only Sweden seems assured of something. Scotland has a nice record but I think my instinct that they might struggle in a finesse situation is showing signs of possibly being true. Hell, maybe they'll even have better ice later in the week who knows ???

03-18-13 07:52PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

Objectively, they won because Canada played badly. Erika wasn't really all that sharp herself, made some questionable decisions in the 10th end and got away with a bad throw. In other words, she played just well enough to win in a game both teams struggled in. I think the ice conditions make for mediocre games at times.

Looking at both teams players today, there is no way the US team could ever be favoured pre-event over Canada. My feeling is the US may have more experience on poorer ice conditions. Homan and team are university age and likely had less chance to travel outside of Canada. The World Curling people aren't doing this sport a favour putting a marquee event in a mediocre facility.

Erika didnt light things on fire but she made the big shots at the right times and she saved the game for the US. End after end Canada set up well but on top of rachel not being able to finish it off Erika came up with a good shot to make things somewhat harder on rachel

The freeze in 5 and hit in 7 with her first are just examples

03-18-13 07:56PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

I firmly believe the facility just isn't conducive to top notch Curling from any of these teams. The quoted draw weight time around end 3 today was slower then we get in most club games. Seems to be a lot of ridges too.

Mediocre, inconsistant ice tends to be a great equalizer, making many games close and its much more of a fight to rise above every one and win. Some historic Canadian teams rise above this challenge and win, some don't. I believe Homan will have numerous titles in her career, but at her team's current age this is a real test. Way too early to discount their chances. With teams like Switzerland coming back to the pack its not going to take a lot of wins to make playoffs this year.

Only Sweden seems assured of something. Scotland has a nice record but I think my instinct that they might struggle in a finesse situation is showing signs of possibly being true. Hell, maybe they'll even have better ice later in the week who knows ???

I agree with you. I think the ice here is a great equalizer and we might even see 5 losses be okay. I expect sweden, scotland and canada will all rise above but that 4th spot will be bitterly contested by everyone else and because the rest of them are so tight i could see 5 losses getting you something.

Your theory on scotland has already been proven true twice. In the game against sweden they were annihalted when they were forced to make harder shots and against china they really struggled early on. China might have been able to win if they werent struggling so badly themselves

I think it was a mistake to give this event to latvia before and ill repeat that now. They are trying to grow the sport, which i understand but there is almost no interest in this event in latvia, that much is clear...not to mention that the venue itself isnt even equipped to handle a big audience.
It would have been smarter to test out a smaller event here, like the world juniors.

03-18-13 08:07PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

They have a long way to grow the game in Latvia. The CC in Riga t is a 2-sheeter and the womens team travels from their city/town to Riga to practice.
Also interesting that other than the word Latvia on the ice the major advertisers include a N.American car company, a Chinese apparel company and a Swiss resort town,
Where are the advertisers from Latvia?

03-18-13 08:23PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Sometimes you just have to grow the game so its just not a perpetual group of the same 4 or 5 curling countries.....

Worth the risk, obviously the local media and fans aren't doing there jobs....

Also, the Latvian team, while decent at tossing rocks and basic strategy are devoid of the wonderful personality that can sometimes boost the sport....

Jennifer Jones, for instance would have made a ton of fans at the local hotels, eateries, spas, etc. Never underestimate the power of personality.

Even Nedohin or Coco Jones would have boosted sales. Probably Stefanie Lawton, too!

Be nice to see 800 to 1100 cheering Latvian fans on the weekend, even if their team isn't around!!!

03-18-13 09:52PM
greenroad
Drawmaster

I never saw the US/Canada game but I pass this comment on for what it's worth. Sent to me by a friend in the UK who watched it on Eurosport - British commentators:

quote:
Our commentators were saying they have a very conservative style of play and they were surprised they were the team to win the Canadian championships if they didn't take any risks. More like how high the standard is in Canada and they were surprised they were the team to represent them.

03-18-13 10:23PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

The British commentators aren't exactly experts in the sport. (They don't comment here, do they?

Anyhow, they happen to be right in many respects. The main reason is Rachel is holding back an aggressive attack-style game is she fears the risk of "GOING JENNIFER" might result in some humiliating 3 or 4 enders being piled on Team RH.

That didn't seem to worry Jennifer Jones - she scored four, gave up 3 and her style of reckless offense was exciting and sometimes even inspiring.

Lots of rocks in play, a veritable garbage festival.

However, as soon as she got up 2 or 3, she went completely conservative and a hitting fest ensued.

Rachel is really careful to a fault as she fears GOING JENNIFER will result in other teams pouncing on her.

None of the better world teams are biting like JJ did in Canada and the opportunities for Rachel to dazzle are somewhat limited!

03-18-13 10:50PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

1 more comment about Homan's style.

She seems to be playing everyone else's style - seemingly waiting too long for teams to implode!

At least with JJ it was always "Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead!"

JJ played the scoreboard, she played it her way and there just happened to be four other curlers on the same sheet.

She became the dominant team in Manitoba for nearly a dozen years, the dominant team in Canada for the last 10 and a major cash player. She became the first to qualify for this year's olympic trials and until she played with fire vs. Homan she was favoured to enter her fifth world championships and try for her 2nd world title.

One thing I do miss about Ms Jennifer's games - they were almost always exciting and mystical - even some of those excruciating losses!

03-19-13 08:56AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

So far this morning

TSN on early 6:30 am

Looks like more media and competitors than crowd.

Shaky start by the homans but they're playing some world class roadkill so they've found an old Jennifer Jones trick - rely on other team's misses!

Italian third looks like the gal who waits tables at the Santa Lucia pizza place in Winnipeg. Santa Lucia girl prolly curls better though!

Earle has a new trick in the book. He's sending Lisa Weagle down ice to stand beside Homan and calm her down!

Looks like Germany is playing themselves out of playoff potential.

Don't think a 50 yr old Andrea Schoepp is a medal threat anymore. Andrea lives to torment all the pretty girls - did it already to sidorova, Muirhead managed to turn the tables but the treacherous schoepp still has Homan and Tirinzoni left to torture.

China (out of it) finally giving the Sleepy Swedes a tough game this a.m. - tied 3-3 midway.

Sexy Silvana having a tough time trying to bring Princess Eve back to the 3rd-4th mud pile!

03-19-13 09:32AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

From looks of near empty Latvia arena (is it really called the Lavatorium)

they should be piping in the audience rather than the players!

03-19-13 09:45AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Lady Bang Bang (Wang) putting up a tremendously valiant fight vs. Sweden this morning; she's out of it but could pull Sweden back into a struggle for the 1-2 spot.

03-19-13 10:12AM
greenroad
Drawmaster

The Swedes are human after all, hurrah.