Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Brandon Brier

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-02-19 05:21PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Hitting Paint

McEwen's last shot int he 8th end against SK was so good. I forgot how good the level of play is in Briers, especially among the top half of the teams.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-02-19 05:25PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

had to miss it...darn, who threw the opening rock?

Not sure who threw the first one but definitely crowd favourite

ML I think it was former Brandon winners but had 4-5 teams there

03-02-19 05:44PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Not sure who threw the first one but definitely crowd favourite

ML I think it was former Brandon winners but had 4-5 teams there

I did see it on video - it was Doug Armour who was third for Mel Logan's Manitoba team the last time the Brier was here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Labatt_Brier

They were from Souris, Mb - about 30 miles away from Brandon.

03-02-19 07:01PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

One day I'll post my old poem about Mel Logan (and Doug Armour) getting to the Brier.

Today, GoldFlinger (McEwen) came off an early knockdown and was able to manipulate the rocks to eke out a last rock 6-5 win over the Muyres boys from Sask'n

As per usual - Mike made some spectacular shots (last rock angle raise in 8) but combined it with his usual couple whiffs.

Would have been a tough one to lose - especially to neighbours from Sask'n - who incidentally had Mike & Reid under total control until things unravelled in the 10th end.

03-02-19 07:28PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Sweepers for the opening ceremonies first rock where: Rob Fowler & Allan Lyburn.

03-02-19 09:15PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i cant be the only one who finds watching this carruthers rink really hard. noit because of the shot making but because just the general attitude. the chemistry is really awkward. the vibe between mcewen and the front end strikes me as 3 guys who are curling together but cant stand each other. and the chemistry between reid and mike is also really awkward. its just hard to watch. its weird

03-02-19 10:16PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i cant be the only one who finds watching this carruthers rink really hard. noit because of the shot making but because just the general attitude. the chemistry is really awkward. the vibe between mcewen and the front end strikes me as 3 guys who are curling together but cant stand each other. and the chemistry between reid and mike is also really awkward. its just hard to watch. its weird

Goldslinger (McEwen) can make just about any shot in the book. His main problem is sustaining intensity & focus during course of a full 10 end, 3 hour clusterfest. Just doesn't seem to care, or be aware of all the possibilities. Had to be talked into that one super-shot he made. Only won cuz the other guy curled 0% on the 10th end - Mikey got his deuce curling 50%

03-03-19 12:01AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

Didn't see too much of the Maccruthers game to see if there was any akwardness, but perhaps its just me but did something feel "off" about Team Gushue? Maybe I just read them wrong so to speak and it was just them getting a feel of the ice, etc.

03-03-19 02:47AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

No, you're definitely not the only one who recognizes this... I've seen it all season...

Mike and Reid simply don't blend well together on this team. I know they're really good friends - and that's probably part of the problem; when they have differing ideas on strategy (or on an individual shot), it's difficult for each of them to be assertive with their good friend. The fact that both of them are skips, and so are used to 'calling the shots', only further complicates matters.
They're all great players - but they obviously aren't gelling together well as a team. I don't see it improving in the future - sometimes that's just the way it is, and you have to just cut your losses and change things up.

Maybe part of the problem is also because it's Reid's team, and Mike came into it and has obviously had a huge influence. I don't think it would have been as much of a problem if Mike's team had stayed mostly together, and Reid had joined them. Reid doesn't have as imposing a personality as Mike. And right now, Mike is calling the shots and throwing skip stones - but it's still Reid's team. It just doesn't work...

In any case, we're approaching the end of the season now, and it doesn't look like the communications with that team are any more fluid now than they were at the beginning of the season. The discussion preceding Mike's great angle runback in the 8th end on Saturday was a perfect example - the 4 of them were talking in circles for 5 minutes...
Sigh...

"It is easy in the world to live after the worlds opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-03-19 09:52AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

The funniest part about Goldslinger & Blackbeard (Mike & Reid) is that they'll prolly be married to each other next season - regardless of all the hidden loathing & meanness thats boiling up.

Only caveat is if BJ Neufeld can't get Koe over the hump at the Brier (ie. Silver or Gold) and returns to Manitoba.

The ideal team might be Reid's current lineup w/ the same front end, Reid returning to skip and the dynamic but mostly quiet BJ assuming vice responsibilities.

Wouldn't that be somehthing?

03-03-19 09:57AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

As far as "Goo" team being a bit off-kilter, keep in mind its draw #1 for them guys.

They really spend enormous time and energy getting to know the ice & rocks - in actual playing conditions with 4 or 5 thousand folks in the stands, which is different than practicing before a couple hundred volunteers and ice crew 2 to 3 days prior to start.

That said, both Goo & McDonald (very impressed with Mac btw) made some exceptional drop shots into a basket during their outing.

Goo has prolly evolved to be the modern-day Kevin Martin. He comprehends the cluster-game like no other - and he's patient with outcomes. Also got guys like Mark & Brett who can make any shot called upon, especially little chips and/or slice rolls.

These guys have exactly what Team McEwen lacks - the tiny little things.

03-03-19 10:00AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Huge test for Goldslinger & Blackbeard this a.m.

Taking on Quebec's Marty Crete.

Marty makes a ton of shots - he's experienced in the art of curling - not just a part-time guy who emerges from his province cuz he's the best.

If Mikey can't handle Marty then just who can he handle?

Most peeps would call it an upset if Marty takes down the Goldslinger - I won't . . .

03-03-19 10:42AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
[B]Huge test for Goldslinger & Blackbeard this a.m.

Taking on Quebec's Marty Crete.

Marty makes a ton of shots - he's experienced in the art of curling - not just a part-time guy who emerges from his province cuz he's the best.

If Mikey can't handle Marty then just who can he handle?

Most peeps would call it an upset if Marty takes down the Goldslinger - I won't . . . [/B

Marty needs his team to make some shots first...

03-03-19 11:40AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Marty needs his team to make some shots first...

Marty is certainly on his own personal Island of Crete this morning!

Blackbeard & Goldslinger carving him up!

03-03-19 11:56AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Mcewen team looking good , getting some bresks ( always helps)

They seem quite happy to me

29- here how nice

03-03-19 03:10PM
BCBoy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BCBoy Find more posts by BCBoy Add BCBoy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BCBoy
Knee-Slider

TSN Coverage

Certainly seems to be a bit lopsided coverage from TSN. Here we are on the 4th draw and we are seeing Ontario for the 2nd time - we've seen Manitoba 1 1/2 times and I think see them again this evening. What about showing the New Brunswick Nova Scotia match that is on now? I know Alberta hasn't been shown yet but there should be plenty of chances later to show them. Why always focus on the big name teams at the Brier (and Scotties) - we see enough of them throughout the year.

03-03-19 05:13PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

I agree but
Population ont 13 m il
Ns 900,000
Nb 700,000
Albt 8 m

And tv knows how many viewers are in each zone and they know how many will watch eacg game

You do have to wonder why they would play that obnoxious vic and doug commercial so much. ?????? Was cute once but pretty disgusting now - must thing fans have low iqs

Rocks and rings same ???

Curling is fun to watch thou - except lead tocks in little box

03-03-19 05:13PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Hitting Paint

Re: TSN Coverage

quote:
Originally posted by BCBoy
Certainly seems to be a bit lopsided coverage from TSN. Here we are on the 4th draw and we are seeing Ontario for the 2nd time - we've seen Manitoba 1 1/2 times and I think see them again this evening. What about showing the New Brunswick Nova Scotia match that is on now? I know Alberta hasn't been shown yet but there should be plenty of chances later to show them. Why always focus on the big name teams at the Brier (and Scotties) - we see enough of them throughout the year.

NB and NS haven't yet proven to be competitive with the top half of the field. Furthermore, TV ratings matter, and name brands such as Gushue and Koe will outdraw teams once a year viewers don't know from NS, NB, or elsewhere.

I think TSN balances it out pretty well considering there are 16 teams at this event and a big gulf in ability between top and bottom. I do think TSN will show anyone who gets into contention, which is the important thing.

That said, I do wish TSN would switch games once the leading team is >90% likely to win it. Koe is up 8-3 on Ontario, and they really need to jump to another game. They can always switch back if Ontario mounts a comeback, but as is, we're watching garbage time.

03-03-19 07:52PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i do wish tsn was still broadcasting 2 games at once. i mean..is it really necessary to broadcast the same game across 4 channels at the same time.

i enjoyed when they briefly would broadcast 2 games at once. dont know why that stopped.

it isnt always that everyone wants to watch koe or mcewen or gushue.. personally i was more interested in nova scotia/british columbia in draw 1 than i was northern ontario v.s wild card.

i will note that they do appear more willing to show a scotties game not involving a big team than they are at the brier

03-03-19 08:07PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

I'd like more of a rotation of teams featured, this is what, the third game featuring Bottcher? Speaking of, the bias from the commentators towards his team is a bit much. There's other teams doing their thing. Also wish there'd be something where you could mute the commentators and just hear the curlers.

03-03-19 08:11PM
BCBoy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BCBoy Find more posts by BCBoy Add BCBoy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BCBoy
Knee-Slider

Yup and now we get Bottcher vs Carruthers/McEwan ... again like so often throughout the curling season. The Brier is a true chance to see teams selected by some other criteria than CTRS standings ,,, and what do we get - same old same old. And also only draws on the outside sheets so we can be dazzled by the moving and annoying ad displays.

Some choice of draws at the same time would be to die for - along with two audio streams, one with the rubbish commentary and one with just the sounds of the curlers. In this day and age of digital "progress" you would think that viewers could select what they wanted to watch. As it is more than often I watch with the Mute on.

03-03-19 08:17PM
MeaghanEdwards
Hitting Paint

Yeah just heard . . . "Here are the other teams on the ice . . . " You mean there ARE other teams on the ice?

Also bugged by the ads. There's one photo of BJ Neufeld sliding out and I thought it *was* an ad at first glance:

https://tinyurl.com/yxvl9xd7

Last edited by MeaghanEdwards on 03-03-19 at 08:19PM

03-03-19 09:04PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

lots of empty seats too
they will be filled by friday i9 hope

darren is better if he wants to win he has to stop getting excited and talking - he has the best shooter in canada -- if he wants to play intern - LET HIM - i knew he wanted to play it - just cause its sticking out a bit doesnt make it better - and if he plays intern and makes it hes buried

thats what we learn from mic d players - when vic and cheryl and russ arent chattering - the only time there is a pregnant pause is when they all agree on something and the4n are proved wrong - about twice a game -- need some new blood in there - cant believe how often they are wrong or cant even figure out what shot is coming - and the ice is tricky - as in inconsistent its obvious to everyone - so qwit gushing over how fab it is

curling is boring to the million of us that like it - very boring and unwatchable to most others - the constant chatter makes it more boring - i still like the 3 announcers - just take a breath

here is the test - if the A skips draw the pot for last rock and then do it 10 more times - ITS REALLY NOT LIKELY THAT KK THROWS ONE TO THE HACK IN THE 8TH IF THE ICE IS 'GREAT'

Last edited by fresca on 03-03-19 at 09:09PM

03-03-19 09:45PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

3wow botcher misses badly - heavy to pot but mikes runs straight for anudder tree
ugly

03-03-19 09:54PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

I'd take Darren on my team any day. He's a character...

Russ, Vic, and Cheryl mentioned several times that the Carruthers/McEwen team have it all figured out now - each has his responsibilities, Mike is in charge of the game, etc., etc., and all is well with the team now.

Apparently not. When all is well with a team, they don't blow a 5-0 lead. Not at this level.
As I wrote in my previous post in this thread, Mike just doesn't fit well into this team. It's no-one's fault - the personalities just don't fit well together.

"It is easy in the world to live after the worlds opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson