Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-11-22 07:05AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

You'll find no bigger far of Loco Solare in these parts than I. But the facts remain that Fujisawa has never gotten past the semi finals of a Grand Slam, won their two Olympic medals with incredibly good fortune despite a combined 12-10 record there, and never actually won "the big one" until now (their Curling World Cup leg victory as the result of Kim Min Ji missing a very makeable draw for the win notwithstanding)

And while the 2020 Worlds was taken away from them, other reason that they haven't meen to Worlds since is because other Japanese teams have defeated them for the national title almost every year since.

But of course, that's all in the past now. It's entirely possible that they've turned to corner and will go on to become the number one ranked team in the world going forward. I certainly hope that's the case.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-11-22 04:43PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Kerri Einarson talked about the different vibe at this event, where everyone was so nice and friendly to each other.

https://twitter.com/CurlingInside/s...160862907453441

Niklas Edin said the same thing about Europeans, where it's also a big party (Men & Women, A & B), that it's a completely different vibe than Worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4THosybUhp4&t=55m10s

John Morris said the same thing about how mixed doubles have a different vibe than Men's & Women's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ju2p6UnsLA&t=10m

I enjoy these aspects of curling. Like I said, I'm not a sport purist that just wants to see the best team wins. (Hence why I proposed a handicap system for Nunavut at the Brier, for example).

One of the best curling game I've ever watched was an exhibition between Homan and Bottcher. The game means absolutely nothing by pure sporting competitive sense, but I got to watch the curlers in their more natural selves, which was nice to see.

Last edited by curlingclips on 11-11-22 at 05:02PM

11-12-22 06:11AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

The hopium copium is real from the Canadians in here. The truth is that European and South East Asian curlers own the game at the minute and it’s for the North Americans to start winning world championships and Olympics again.

11-12-22 02:35PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse
South East Asian curlers own the game at the minute

In geography, Korea and Japan is not part of South East Asia. Last time I checked, only Thailand is a member association of WCF from this part of the world, and they just joined in 2022 and haven't played a game yet as far as I can tell.

11-12-22 09:55PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse
The hopium copium is real from the Canadians in here. The truth is that European and South East Asian curlers own the game at the minute and it’s for the North Americans to start winning world championships and Olympics again.

In a recent interview Tirinzoni, when asked to give her opinion on the state of Canadian women's curling, mentioned all of the sacrifices that the non-Canadian curlers make to participate in the sport, and wondered whether the Canadians were making, or were willing to make, those same sacrifices.

We've seen something similar in the sport of sumo, where a small number of Mongolians have come to dominate a sport where 99% of the participants are Japanese.

11-13-22 01:55PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
the sacrifices that the non-Canadian curlers make to participate in the sport

For some reason Canadians believe that non-Canadian curlers are globetrotting jetsetters rolling around in cash living an easy-going life with no sacrifice.