Lindstroem Final
Braenden (7)
Rorvik Final
Naess (5)
Sommervold Final
Hostmaelingen (7)
Ramsfjell Final
Ulsrud (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Greatest Games Ever Witnessed

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
08-11-20 10:14AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Greatest Games Ever Witnessed

What are the greatest games you've ever seen (live or TV)?

My list fwiw:

1. Mean Girls vs. Einarson, 2019 Scotties Final - Einarson was in process of polishing off the vaunted Ottawa Mean Girls (Homan) when Homan suddenly buckled up and hunted down Einarson with a shocking steal of 2 in the 10th end. Einarson, made of sturdy stuff, withstood a hellacious extra end, courageously drawing the pot with her final stone to win her first Scotties title.

2. Jones vs. Jen Hanna - 2005 Scotties final. Jones seemed whipped and bombed but somehow pulled off the shot for the ages to deprive Hanna of her best chance at a Scotties title.

3. Burtnyk vs. Hackner, 1981 Brier final - what an amazing, amazing game. Hackner was so shaken up after the game he was seemingly being held up by a helium balloon tied around his neck.

4. Duguid vs. Pickering - to clinch his first Brier win as a skip, Duguid had to remove a PeeWee stone from the FunHouse. He was visibly nervous and collapsed during his delivery, his primary sweeper Big Jim Pettapiece collapsed half way down the ice, leaving only Bryan Wood to barely get Duguid's crooked stone past a front guard to get a small piece of Pickering's shot stone. The rest is history.

5. Jones vs. Holland - Jones at her awkward worst, seemingly handing Sask's Amber Holland her first (and only) Scotties title with a clumsy extra end mis-call.

6. Don Barr vs. Garry Ross - 1974 Manitoba Consols final. Ross only needed a bit of the 8 foot with his final stone and it looked great entering the house - but for a demonic sweeping effort from Barr's 3rd Danny Hyrich, who singlehandedly dragged Ross's fateful stone a couple inches too far.

7. Meleschuk vs. Labonte - 1972 World Final. The Banana Peel Worlds, no more need be said.

8. Homan vs. Michelle, Scotties final - a valiant but extremely underpowered Michelle Ridgeway put on a show for the ages before succumbing to the powerful Homan squad. Michelle just couldn't pull off the hard doubles required to get the W. At 51 with a band of Manitoba spares, she put up one of the great fights in Scotties history.

9. Ferbey vs. Maritime Lads - Ferbey, seeking his 4th Brier in a row, allowed the Maritimes to clean their clocks with a miraculous 3 in the event final. My word!!!

10. Jones vs. Carey - Manitoba Scots final. A lights out electric game where Jones made a miraculous final raise to snuff out Chelsea Carey's dream.

Hon. mentions - Lyall Dagg handing Duguid his only loss at the 1970 Brier (I was there), Jones golden run at the Olympics, an underpowered and skittish Jones upsetting the favored Anna Hasselborg at the worlds.

Other games worth remembering. Bear Martin flubbing a worlds. Cheryl Bernard flubbing Olympic gold vs. Sweden in Vancouver. Al Hackner skinning Pat Ryan in Brier final.

I'm sure I missed a few hundred, right?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-11-20 12:03PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Kerry Burtnyk, Dale Duguid - Manitoba Provincial final. Not sure of the year, but it was an great game!

Last edited by CURLER1 on 08-11-20 at 12:16PM

08-12-20 09:02PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Hitting Paint

Re: Greatest Games Ever Witnessed

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
1. Mean Girls vs. Einarson, 2019 Scotties Final[/B]

Einarson didn't even get in to 2019 Scotties. She won 2020, but she heartbreakingly lost the Wildcard game in 2019, after heartbreakingly lost the MB provincial final after leading 5-1 vs Fleury.

2019 Scotties final was Homan (ON) vs Carey (AB).

08-12-20 10:53PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Greatest Games Ever Witnessed

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Einarson didn't even get in to 2019 Scotties. She won 2020, but she heartbreakingly lost the Wildcard game in 2019, after heartbreakingly lost the MB provincial final after leading 5-1 vs Fleury.

2019 Scotties final was Homan (ON) vs Carey (AB).

For K Einarson, waiting 'til 2020 was worth the wait.
Slaying women's curling's ultimate monsters 'The Mean Girls' was an amazing accomplishment, consider she had the MGs dead and nearly fully buried before they rose up and almost stole their 4th Scotties title.
Shannon B & Brianne were delirious as Shannon racked up her 2nd Scotties gold but the greatest moment was when the cameras focused on their Alberta import Valerie Sweeting. So many years on the circuit - so many disappointments, so many stolen players, so much Mrs. Nice Girl, the shy skip with the glasses. What emotions were pouring out of Val when she realized his lifelong dream of winning a canadian championship - this time working with a group of skips who dedicated themselves to all aspects of the game, even the little things and managed to out-battle one of curlings all-time great teams!

08-14-20 02:47AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Hitting Paint

I rarely watch curling live, but I did watch most of Jones vs Einarson 2020 MB Scotties final live, and thought that was a great game. I probably like that more than the 2020 Scotties final vs Homan, actually, because Einarson had to steal the win vs Jones.

I absolutely love the 2017 World Mixed Doubles final, CAN vs SUI. Yes, it was a heartbreaking loss for CAN, so sudden and unexpected, but that's why it was so memorable to me. I love it even more upon rewatching it, a year or so after I've watched it the first time, after I've grown fond of Joanne Courtney, and after I've put all the pieces together with regards to its repercussions for the 2018 Olympic spot.

CAN owes its one and only 2018 Olympic curling medal in large part to what Courtney/Carruthers accomplished in 2017 WMDCC.

I love the 2018 Scotties semifinal, Einarson (WC) vs Arsenault (NS). Scores for first 5 ends were 2-3-3-3-4, so Einarson gained an insurmountable lead at half-time and won the game, but Arsenault gave it her best, and it was still a good game to watch up to the end I thought. They scored 21 points combined, which set the record for highest points total in Scotties playoff game (ref: https://stats.curling.io/hearts/records ).

One of the first games of curling I've watched was McEwen/McEwen vs Sloan/Svae from 2015 Continental Cup. I wouldn't say it's the greatest game ever, but it was so much fun to watch, especially with all the marriage jokes. Some people think Continental Cup games are worthless, thus boring, but I love the fun camaraderie and it really helped foster my love for the sport.

As a new fan, I have recency bias, and had a hard time loving older games. For example, I thought the Hackner vs Ryan Brier final with the infamous double was a crappy game. Maybe I'll rewatch it in a few years and see if I'd have a different opinion of the game.

I did recently watch the Olympic Trials, Kleibrink vs Schmirler, and felt really strong emotions. I am glad that this game was not available on the internet when I first learned of Schmirler. No, I had plenty of time, years, to read about her, to watch whatever short clips I could find, to follow her daughter's aspiring curling career (she teamed up with Michelle Englot!), to listen to the insightful 2 Girls and a Game interview with Jan Betker, etc.

By the time the game popped up on the internet, I had already developed such a longing to watch the game. It did not disappoint, and I thought it was a great game that gave me really strong emotional reaction.

This is still the only game I've ever watched where I said to myself, "This person is now dead...".

Last edited by curlingclips on 08-14-20 at 03:03AM

08-30-20 07:31PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

2009 Roar of the rings round robin game between kevin Martin and Glenn Howard

The 2001 scotties final between Colleen Jones and Kelley Law should be mentioned as one the the greatest scotties finals of the last 20 years...

Last edited by Rock Your World on 08-30-20 at 07:47PM