Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2020 Scotties in Moose Jaw

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 11 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-12-20 07:28PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

2020 Scotties in Moose Jaw

Time for a Scotties thread as the play-in is only 2 days hence.

It looks like there are five realistic contenders in Group A and only two in Group B.

Cheers!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-12-20 09:31PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: 2020 Scotties in Moose Jaw

quote:
Originally posted by Qtownranger It looks like there are five realistic contenders in Group A and only two in Group B.
So, in one group - you think CA and SK are contenders. NO has a shot at playoffs maybe. NS and PE have experience. In the other group you think WC, ON, MB, and AB may contend, but I cannot see your 5th. I like AB and would like to see them qualify, though I think they are par with NO so, depends on the fire.

02-12-20 10:53PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

it is insane to me that it worked out that in 1 group we have canada, alberta, manitoba, northern ontario and saskatchewan. 4 of the 5 of those teams could make legit claims for winning ti all. it sucks that 1 wont advance. then in the other pool ontario stands out. wild card will be a contender regardless of who gets through

after ontario and wild card its really anyone's guess who qualifies out of the pool. nova scotia, prince edward island and northwest territories have tons of experience but british columbia is a great young team. if they are not rattled by the occasion they should qualify

predicted top 8:

canada
manitoba
saskatchewan
alberta
ontario
wild card
british columbia
prince edward island

02-13-20 11:28AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

you do realize that birchard and mielleur are on einarson's team right?. they wont be curling in the wildcard game

02-13-20 12:46PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

I'll take Jones in the playin game simply because McEwen/Peterman are way stronger than Macuish/Fyfe.
For the whole deal I'll go out on a limb and say Einarson beats Silvernagle in the final. The draw Einarson made to win Manitoba makes her and her team way more confident and that will put them over the top.

02-13-20 03:26PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

im not even gonna watch they play in game. i never have. just dont believe in the whole wild card concept.

that being said i will predict fleury to win

02-13-20 04:09PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I just want to know which team is most likely to give me a "WE WON THE EFFING SCOTTIES!!!!" celebration.

That was amazing last year. As far as pure unbridled joy goes, that was one of the greatest moments I've seen on TV.

02-13-20 04:26PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Team McCarville might not be getting its due in this conversation. McCarville has played a limited schedule this season, but her last 'spiel was the Mesabi Classic where Team McCarville beat Team Laura walker 7-1 in the final. The two top American teams were there too, so it was not a real strong field but not all pushovers either.

Krista McCarville rarely blows anyone out, but she doesn't get blown out either. She seems to have the ability to hang around in every game, and often comes through at the end.

In the past four years she has lost twice in the Page 3-4 game and twice in the semifinal. Same squad this year - this could be her moment.

02-13-20 05:03PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
I just want to know which team is most likely to give me a "WE WON THE EFFING SCOTTIES!!!!" celebration.

That was amazing last year. As far as pure unbridled joy goes, that was one of the greatest moments I've seen on TV.

if you want to see that again root for alberta. they're the most likely to do that i think. i agree though. i loved seeing brown and ferguson's reaction. was awsome

if their win in BC is anything to go by and their reactyion British columbia and team brown would probably have that reaction too but they arent ready to win it all yet

Last edited by misty1 on 02-13-20 at 05:07PM

02-13-20 05:07PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Qtownranger
Team McCarville might not be getting its due in this conversation. McCarville has played a limited schedule this season, but her last 'spiel was the Mesabi Classic where Team McCarville beat Team Laura walker 7-1 in the final. The two top American teams were there too, so it was not a real strong field but not all pushovers either.

Krista McCarville rarely blows anyone out, but she doesn't get blown out either. She seems to have the ability to hang around in every game, and often comes through at the end.

In the past four years she has lost twice in the Page 3-4 game and twice in the semifinal. Same squad this year - this could be her moment.

no one is overlooking them at all. as you say her track record speaks for itself. they are just in a really tough group. honestly it wouldnt surprise me to see them advance. they are capable of it. i think it'll come down to them and alberta for that 4th spot out of group A.

but at some point their lack of play could hurt them

02-13-20 07:00PM
QuesoGuapo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for QuesoGuapo Find more posts by QuesoGuapo Add QuesoGuapo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
QuesoGuapo
Knee-Slider

Lori and Mary from "2 Girls and Game" raised an interesting point about having unbalanced pools — the teams that advance have their records carried over.

That means the Pool B teams that advance will likely have better records entering the championship pool than their Pool A rivals (who will be beating up on each other in initial play).

If if a Pool A team does well, they may have a harder path to the playoffs than the top Pool B teams.

I don't have any predictions for this year's Scotties. I imagine it will be as competitive as last year's.

02-13-20 09:23PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I want the champion to be a team that performs at the worlds & makes the playoffs there...flame away!

02-13-20 10:55PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the best shot at worlds would be homan obviously. after her jen. einarson is strong but who knows if theyd perorm as we think or struggle like chelsey

thats not intendedn to be a shot at carey by the way. love that team. one o the best in canada. but chelsey struggles internationaly

i dont know how mccarville or silvernagle ior even fleury would do. krista doesnt play the international teams really at all. tracy has done okay against some.

at their best all could medal but i think homan and jones and maybe einarson are the only ones capable of winning

that being said hasselborg is looking unstoppable this year and i dont know if even homan could be the one to stop her from adding world gold to her trophy case

02-14-20 12:05PM
beaches43 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for beaches43 Find more posts by beaches43 Add beaches43 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
beaches43
Harvey Hacksmasher

let the curling start good fri game between Mb. teams

02-14-20 12:26PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Is it guaranteed that Tirinzoni will be representing at the worlds? I think the Swiss championship is on-going, and the only undefeated team is Stern. In fact, I think Gerry Guerts said on the commentary for Canad Inns Classic (in which Stern stole the win from Homan) that Stern could've locked the Team Switzerland position back then based on rankings had the playoff scenario played a little bit differently.

02-14-20 12:29PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
If Hasselborg is on her game or even brings her B+ game to worlds - she'll be virtually unstoppable. Too many warts have crept up on Canada's best hope - R. Homan so they'd need Anna to collapse to a B or B- game to enable Canadian gold.

I think Carey - and her team were so overwhelmed by toppling Homan last year (to be truthful, Homan toppled Homan) that they arrived sour at worlds - and stayed sour.

Jones has the reputation & provenance to stop Hassleborg and/or Tirinzoni; only problem is she doesn't have the shots anymore.

Silvernagle & Waller are full of spunk, both have excellent teams but neither has been tested on the world stage - as a skip.

Einarson is so mercurial - she could beat Hasselborg in the round-robin but lose badly in the playoffs.

McCarville & Fleury are wild cards. McCarville is a steady ultra-defensive skip who could really thwart Hasselborg; the real question is whether she could score enough points to win.

Fleury gets wild card status cuz she's bringing in a very non-threatening team - although Selena has really been coming on strong after being labelled (by me) as a meek curling rabbit for so many years. That said, still not enough horsepower to handle super-powers like Hasselborg or Tirinzoni.

The Canadian women used to play in the Europe bonspiels quite a bit both elites and near elites...lately that isn't happening as much. I think they need to review their schedules and play in 1 or 2. Then they aren't shell shocked at the worlds.

02-14-20 05:44PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I want the champion to be a team that performs at the worlds & makes the playoffs there...flame away!

Ouch! But I seem to recall Colleen Jones struggling mightily in her first two worlds before turning it around. 😊

02-14-20 06:11PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

730 sk time as per tsn
Cable schedule

02-14-20 06:53PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
I take it wild card game 20 minutes not televised

TSN Schedule - times are Eastern.

https://www.tsn.ca/2019-20-curling-...hedule-1.593081

02-14-20 08:23PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

I used to think like that, but given recent results I'm just rooting for my favs. Whoever wins will have it tough against an International field.

02-14-20 09:46PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Am watching percentages and line scores. Jones started poorly, that is obvious - but team Fleury doesn't have the %ages. Big trio on five for Jones - gonna be a burning second half.

02-14-20 10:23PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

jen has put herself in a pretty strong position here. assure your one in 8 then, as long as you dont give more than 2 in 9 she's tied with hammer coming home. you'd like her chances in that situation

02-14-20 11:00PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Steal for the win? Let's hope

02-14-20 11:07PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Who knew bubbles knew curling

02-14-20 11:14PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

jen gets in. honestly, it would have seemed weird not to have her there. she's just one of those teams you expect to be there