Japan (EE)
Denmark 10  Final
Spain (8)
Estonia Final
Italy (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-27-22 06:56AM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

Saskatchewan Juniors 2022

I've been watching curling since the early 70s, but 95% of it has been at the highest levels. Brier, Scotties, WC, Grand Slams, etc.

I've just spent the past week watching the excellent YouTube coverage of the junior men's and women's Saskatchewan provincials. As good as the video and commentary was, the curling itself was of a lower quality than I expected. especially on the women's side.

I was shocked to see multiple wide open misses on hits per game and the general strategic knowledge among the skips was very poor. And I really hated the new rule where coaches stood 10 feet from the action and intervened multiple times per end. And often the coaches suggestions were fine for an elite adult team, but just weren't optimal for a game where the overall average percentages were maybe 50-60%. Maybe I was just expecting too much and the main issue was that the ice was ultra quick and swingy. Hopefully the one undefeated team wins the final today. They definitely deserve it.

The junior men's was generally a lot better, but even there I saw a few complete misses on open hits and draws sail through the house. Two good teams will meet in today's final.

Big kudos to Susan Lang and Shawn Joyce for their coverage of provincial men's, women's and now juniors. Very knowledgeable and they don't talk too much. I just wish they had been a bit more brutally honest with some of bad strategy, shotmaking, and coaching at the juniors. Also a very nice HD stream that never lagged. Far superior to what other provinces have done with their coverage.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-27-22 01:33PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Re: Saskatchewan Juniors 2022

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP
[B And I really hated the new rule where coaches stood 10 feet from the action and intervened multiple times per end. [/B]

Is this just a Sask thing? A Canadian junior thing? I would hate to see this gain traction.

02-28-22 07:45AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

If Ontario streams their juniors, I’ll try to watch & see if this is a trend. I certainly hope not.

02-28-22 12:22PM
Marc Bernard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Bernard Visit Marc Bernard's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Bernard Add Marc Bernard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marc Bernard
Hitting Paint

It wasn't a thing at the Ontario U21 in November.

For U15s this kind of thing may have some value, but after that it's time to let the birds leave the nest...

02-28-22 01:04PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Saskatchewan Juniors 2022

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

Is this just a Sask thing? A Canadian junior thing? I would hate to see this gain traction.

I tuned into the girls first end just to see. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the coaches out ON the ice at the far end, standing behind the hack. It was explained that 2 interventions per end so up to 20 times the coach can tell them what to do. No time outs obviously and the clock still runs. They said it started 2 years ago. I’ve never seen this before anywhere. Must be a sask thing. She said it was great to help them learn the strategy of the game quicker. I disagree. How will you ever learn to the think on your own if 20 times a game the coach is chirping in the background? Learn from your own mistakes, sit down after the game and discuss what may have been better options. And, who’s to say the coach will be right 20/20 times, especially in junior. I don’t get it. Maybe for Little Rock’s and social learn to curl nights, that’s it.

02-28-22 02:42PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: Saskatchewan Juniors 2022

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

I tuned into the girls first end just to see. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the coaches out ON the ice at the far end, standing behind the hack. It was explained that 2 interventions per end so up to 20 times the coach can tell them what to do. No time outs obviously and the clock still runs. They said it started 2 years ago. I’ve never seen this before anywhere. Must be a sask thing. She said it was great to help them learn the strategy of the game quicker. I disagree. How will you ever learn to the think on your own if 20 times a game the coach is chirping in the background? Learn from your own mistakes, sit down after the game and discuss what may have been better options. And, who’s to say the coach will be right 20/20 times, especially in junior. I don’t get it. Maybe for Little Rock’s and social learn to curl nights, that’s it.

Yah who on earth thought this would be a good idea? Give the kids some credit, they can think for themselves. Having a coach right there spoon feeding them (and as you say the coach may not necessarily be right, especially in juniors where the coach is often the parent of a player) isn't going to make them better decision makers. In fact it may make them worse as every tough decision they will just turn around and ask the coach instead of discussing the situation and arriving at a team decision. If I was in a junior league and there were a couple adults out there hovering it wouldn't make the game more attractive to me.

02-28-22 03:49PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

It got to the point where a skip would call a shot, and wait for a second or two for a possible intervention before continuing playing. The players were laughing about it.

And in many cases the shots the players were calling were not obviously wrong. I can't believe having a system like this is good for the long term benefit of curlers in their late teens. 18 and 19 year olds should be allowed to play without their dad/coach looking over their shoulder.

03-03-22 11:50PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's called the Enhanced Coach Interaction in Alberta https://curlingalberta.ca/wp-conten...nt-Revision.pdf

The NWT has implemented a version where the coaches can speak to their respective teams for up to one minute in between each end.

If used correctly by experienced coaches it can greatly enhance the development of strategy for skips.

09-30-23 07:31AM
jowam4012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jowam4012 Find more posts by jowam4012 Add jowam4012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jowam4012
Harvey Hacksmasher

As your app grows in popularity and user base, it must scale to accommodate increased data demands. The scalability of your chosen database technology can determine whether your app can handle the growth smoothly or encounters bottlenecks. https://techbullion.com/the-app-dev...-by-step-guide/

01-25-24 05:29AM
dordle12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dordle12 Find more posts by dordle12 Add dordle12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dordle12
Harvey Hacksmasher

This is a lovely and informative article. In my opinion, the article provides useful information for readers. Thank you so much for sharing this, I really appreciate it. You can also play new games in run 3.

02-23-24 04:01AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

With its smooth controls and responsive handling, drift hunters provides an immersive gameplay experience where players can test their drifting skills against other virtual racers or aim to achieve the highest scores in solo drift challenges. Whether you're a seasoned drift enthusiast or a newcomer to the world of

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 196.240.207.94