Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-22-21 11:38PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

The last two ends tonight were pretty atrocious

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-22-21 11:44PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Peterson & Last Rock Laura in a bit of an entertaining flub-fest tonite. YIKES!
Some questions:
1) Does Laura freeze when faced with basic winning shots?
2) Just how over-rated is Kate Cameron, Laura's 3rd?
3) How many botched shots and whizzes can Team Peteski toss and still win a curling game vs. a Top 8 Canadian team?

Beth is one fidgety curler, reminds me of Mark "The Scoreboard" Olson during his little reign of terror as Kerry Burtnyk's 3rd in the early to mid 80s. She's intense but not much of a team behind her. A spare in Brittany Tran, a quality but unspectacular 2nd in Kat Doerksen and the very average (some would say below average) 3rd in Jenna Loder.

ML, why always so negative. I've tried to be less negative this last year, but a bit more sarcastic lately, guilty. These ladies are trying their best with little or no practice or games heading into this. Cut them some slack.

02-22-21 11:53PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

As a Jones fan, it pains me to say it, but it's really a two team field at this point: Ontario and Canada. I guess Manitoba could conceivably win it as well, but any other team winning it would be an absolute shock. When only 2-3 teams out of your 18 team field have a shot at winning, you don't have a very appealing round robin.

I'd love to see Alberta contend, but they feel like a typical 4th/5th place team, as does Wild Card 1. The gap to the bottom half of the field seems to be growing every year.

I would rate the odds of winning it all as:

1. 40% - Canada
2. 40% - Ontario
3. 12% - Manitoba
4. 3% - Alberta
5. 3% - Wild Card 1
6. 2% - Anyone else

02-23-21 07:58AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i dont know. ontariop has not looked great so far either and yes canada is 4-0 and have looked comfortable but look at who they have played. they finish against alberta, ontario and nova scotia. 2 of those 3 games anyway should give a better indication of where they really are

it will likely be a rematch of last years final but thats not necessarily because they're better than everyone else here and i personally hope its not. the same team or teams making the final year after year gets boring

02-23-21 09:13AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Is Saskatchewan/Quebec the prime time feature tonight? Unless I'm way off here, if Quebec wins that, they're all but win Pool B, right?

I mean can't assume things, but if they beat Nunavut this morning and then beat Sask, they're at 6 wins with a game left against NB - could end up 7-1 with a win over Carey.

If Sask beats QC, and they beat NB this morning, they're 5 wins with a game left against NL, and all but guaranteed a few more games.

Surprisingly huge matchup

Last edited by cnpeters on 02-23-21 at 09:18AM

02-23-21 10:06AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Also I'm almost positive the top players are getting scored on a curve with the percentages. Some anyway

Ither curlers seem to be getting scored pretty harshly

02-23-21 01:55PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Very nice triple takeout by Brown (BC) to close out Carey and team wildcard. But the steal of 3 in end 5 was the killer. Carey didn't look sharp this morning.

02-23-21 02:26PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Qtownranger
Very nice triple takeout by Brown (BC) to close out Carey and team wildcard. But the steal of 3 in end 5 was the killer. Carey didn't look sharp this morning.

There's been a lot of rough, rusty play. I think it's made it more fun.

I mean last year's Quebec provincial runner up is about to go to 7-1 to win a pool that has two skips that have won four of the last six titles.

Last edited by cnpeters on 02-23-21 at 02:45PM

02-23-21 02:43PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Team Fleury is quietly leading all the percentages at this years event. Even Homan is lagging behind the Chels Carey skipped Team Fleury.

Overall percentages can be misleading. For example if Kerry Burtnyk went 10-1 in a Brier and Pat Ryan went 6-5, Ryan's team would still have higher % simply because the game he calls is way more low risk.
I think the +/- head to head is a better measure.

02-23-21 02:50PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:

Good to see some players without perfect deliveries having success. Brown comes out with the rock off to the side a bit, kind of like Englot and Birchard has that wacky tabacky release but they have the touch to make all the shots. Kind of like putting in golf, whatever works for you do it.

02-23-21 03:50PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

Cheryl just confirmed that the draw to the button for 1st end hammer is even more important now than ever. The fact that they never show what is one of the most critical shots in a match shows complete incompetence.

02-23-21 04:26PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Neither of them will win the STOH but I have a feeling that The Girls of Altona (Zacharias) will dissect the mid-20s team of Beth Peterson.

Still interesting as these 2 teams will be the pulse of Manitoba/Canadian curling once Jennifer JJ hangs it up . . . ! ! !

If there was any integrity in this, Jones would be representing Ontario and Homan would be qualifying out of Alberta, leaving Manitoba to the above-noted teams; not to mention Einarson & co.

02-23-21 04:52PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Cheryl just confirmed that the draw to the button for 1st end hammer is even more important now than ever. The fact that they never show what is one of the most critical shots in a match shows complete incompetence.

what did she say?. im not allowed to watch it with my little brother in the room . lol

02-23-21 05:01PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

If there was any integrity in this, Jones would be representing Ontario and Homan would be qualifying out of Alberta, leaving Manitoba to the above-noted teams; not to mention Einarson & co.

Homan's team "could" qualify for either AB or ON as the new "Homan" rule which allows 3 of the 4 to be born in the same province or 3 must live in the same province. Jones' team only has 2 living in ON so must curl out of MB.

02-23-21 05:26PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

what did she say?. im not allowed to watch it with my little brother in the room . lol

Along the lines of team with hammer in 1st end win almost all the time. I think the number was 80%

02-23-21 05:36PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
You'd have to be deaf & blind not to see that Jones is doing a great job butchering herself - so most of the Top 5 or 6 women's teams in Manitoba know that she's no longer the threatening monster of yesteryear - but a rather timid & nerve-wracked competitor - - - - just another 65-75% shooter, of which there are many in the Keystone province!

Jennifer Jones is a lot of things...timid and nerve wracked aren’t any of them.

Last edited by Maggie on 02-23-21 at 05:49PM

02-23-21 08:56PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
You'd have to be deaf & blind not to see that Jones is doing a great job butchering herself - so most of the Top 5 or 6 women's teams in Manitoba know that she's no longer the threatening monster of yesteryear - but a rather timid & nerve-wracked competitor - - - - just another 65-75% shooter, of which there are many in the Keystone province!

It must be the pinball wizard. Sure plays a mean pin-ball

02-24-21 06:53AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Lady Baba - aka Sherry Anderson didn't beat Quebec's Laurie St. Georges tonite . . .

Inexperience beat Laurie!

That, and zero coaching!

Agreed...there comes a time to leave Coach Dad to get to the next level.

02-24-21 09:44AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

its ridiculous the way the 2 pools ended up. one is so stacked with 5 or 6 good teams and the other has 3 . its no wonder canada and ontario are sailing along. there's no one in that pool to test them. MAYBE alberta but thats it

i'll be interested to see how they do when the pools merge. saskatchewan, british columbia, quebec, manitoba,team flarey and prince edward island..all 6 are a step up from everyone else they'd have faced in that pool. again, aside from alberta

its almost unfair that all 6 ended up in the same pool. 2 will be left out of the championship pool when i feel like they'd all have been favorites to advance out of the pool in the other one.

02-24-21 12:53PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
its ridiculous the way the 2 pools ended up. one is so stacked with 5 or 6 good teams and the other has 3 . its no wonder canada and ontario are sailing along. there's no one in that pool to test them. MAYBE alberta but thats it

Eh, part of it is a underperformance of the Zacharias team. If they're playing at well or better than Peterson, suddenly there's 4 or 5 teams of note in pool A.

Also, the dropoff from McCarville to the second best team in Northern Ontario is stark, they would go a long way to rebalancing things.

With no season, there was no reason to think the second best team in Quebec would suddenly catch fire. As for the second best team in Saskatchewan, they remind me of my dad... in that when he was alive, even when he wasn't physically bigger or stronger than me anymore, he knew all the tricks to just beat me at stuff. Like a boxer who knows when to sneak in an elbow when the ref isn't looking, or a pitcher who knows how to scuff up the baseball when the ump can't see. I love them. I don't know how far they can go, but I hope they're around and playing meaningful matches for a few extra days.

02-24-21 01:16PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
Eh, part of it is a underperformance of the Zacharias team. If they're playing at well or better than Peterson, suddenly there's 4 or 5 teams of note in pool A.

Also, the dropoff from McCarville to the second best team in Northern Ontario is stark, they would go a long way to rebalancing things.

With no season, there was no reason to think the second best team in Quebec would suddenly catch fire. As for the second best team in Saskatchewan, they remind me of my dad... in that when he was alive, even when he wasn't physically bigger or stronger than me anymore, he knew all the tricks to just beat me at stuff. Like a boxer who knows when to sneak in an elbow when the ref isn't looking, or a pitcher who knows how to scuff up the baseball when the ump can't see. I love them. I don't know how far they can go, but I hope they're around and playing meaningful matches for a few extra days.

I will agree with you there that mccarville being there would have balanced the pools more. Galusha isnt doing as well as I'd thought. I dont know if its a case of me over rating them or what but its the 3rd year in a row now I hadcthem advancing out of the group and again that's not looking good.

As for zacharias I'm not sure its do much a case of them underperforming so much as people overestimating them and what they could do here. One poster in particular

I don't think one can doubt that pool b was the tougher of the 2 . We have to look at who is there and as it is there. Looking at the pools b always did have the potential to get messy. Pool a is going pretty much as expected

Last edited by misty1 on 02-24-21 at 01:24PM

02-24-21 01:39PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:

Galusha isnt doing as well as I'd thought. I dont know if its a case of me over rating them or what but its the 3rd year in a row now I hadcthem advancing out of the group and again that's not looking good.

After her outstanding win over Homan she's in the hunt. Last game of the round she plays Peterson which should determine last playoff spot.

02-24-21 03:14PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

If Rachel doesn't lose any more she didn't need the game. Sometimes she has a problem with losing confidence in draw weight though. They looked poor in tenth end.

02-24-21 03:47PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Homan & Co. hung in there against Galusha for the first 5 ends but were completely overwhelmed in the last 5.

This was Galusha's first win over Homan in eleven years and she certainly earned/deserved it today.

02-24-21 05:48PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Whats your opinion C/B . . . ? ? ?

Should the curling gods start grooming Karlee Burgess to be a professional skip?

Don't think she'd be a hit overnite but watching Zacharias fail so many times in key shot situations - I can't imagine Burgess being unable to do better. . . ! ! !

Maybe, perhaps MacKenzie should throw 2nd and let Karlee throw last rock. I hope Mary Fay comes back her & Karlee made a great team!