Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-01-21 07:35PM
CurlingNut1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingNut1994 Click here to Send CurlingNut1994 a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingNut1994 Add CurlingNut1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingNut1994
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Weak event for Russ

quote:
Originally posted by FollowingAlong
I enjoy watching the curling on TSN for the Scotties and the Brier, and I realize that this year's event was very different from past years with the Covid-19 bubble restrictions, but this was a weak event for the TSN announce crew and specifically Russ.

His shot analysis was often incorrect including many times not remember which team was throwing, who threw the last rock, what the situation was in the house, who had hammer, etc. I know that the announcers get the same video feed as we get as viewers, so when it becomes painfully obvious to us that there is no longer a shot for 4 because the previous shot bumped two already questionable rocks to no longer be possible counters, don't continue to say that there is a possible shot for 4.

It was a difficult 10 days of listening. And for those of you who want to retort with, "Just put it on mute." I shouldn't have to do that because I'm paying for both the video and the audio.

You read my mind, I couldn't agree more. I don't mind the TSN crew usually, and Russ is my favourite, But at the Scotties he was absolutely atrocious. Like you said, his analysis was just off all tournament. It was like he wasn't even watching the same game we were. The one that stood out the most to me was the Jones vs Birt game. It was the end where Jones stole 1 after Birt tried an insanely tough tap back to score. There was a port she could have gone through but that shot was definitely not there. Marie Christianson said the best she could do was nose it (which misses shot rock and results in Jones stealing 1 anyway) and Russ agreed with her immediately. But for the rest of the game, Russ wouldn't shut up about how bad a call it was and that she should have done the shot through the port to blank. He literally agreed moments before that blanking was not possible. Hitting a rock on the nose means it sits right there, therefore stay in the rings. And like I said before nose misses shot rock, so playing that shot would've been pointless. He was an elite curler for years but he couldn't wrap his head around that and that baffled me. I couldn't believe how stupid he was being, I might have been able to let that slide if he said it once, but he kept harping on it for the rest of the game and that grated on my nerves. He kept saying "cross the face, hit it high side," The right side guard made doing that impossible. That was obvious to everyone except him apparently, even though he acknowledged it wasn't there not long before this. A lot of stupidity came out of his mouth throughout the Scotties, but for me that one really takes the cake. I'm all for the commentators calling a spade a spade and criticizing skips for making bad calls, but listening to him repeatedly go after Birt for not calling a shot that wasn't even close to being possible just doesn't sit right with me. That's not fair to her at all. I'm not even a fan of hers but that was ridiculous.

He even did it to Homan too (it was her against team Fleury I think?) which is weird. She had a tough shot for 3 but elected to draw for 2 instead and was light. Russ said the shot for 3 wasn't there, only to criticize Homan later for not trying the shot for 3. Mentally he was definitely not all there it seems. I hope it was just due to stress from being in the bubble and not something more serious. I knew it probably wouldn't happen, but I was hoping Cheryl Bernard would say something or at the very least present the other side of it (aka the logical/common sense side) when Russ was going on these nonsensical ramblings.

As for the mute the TV advice, I also agree. If I don't like the commentators for sports like hockey or football, I can still follow along without the announcers. But with curling it's hard because I want to be able to hear the curlers talking and what the call is. I just tried to tune out the commentators for the most part.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-01-21 10:39PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

TSN will show these games usually on 2-5 of their channels at the same time. Why not pick one channel with NO commentating and just let us hear the curlers and their discussions. Put out the pregame disclaimer parental advisory as there will be the odd curse or f-bomb, but I'd rather hear the pre-shot chatter, chatter during the shot, then the post shot analysis from the players, than the commentators fighting to talk over each other trying to get their on air time, one of which goes out of his way to "act" and maybe not so much, stupid.

Signed, carpal tunnel syndrome with thumb on the mute button, both from announcers and screechers.

03-02-21 07:50AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Living in Ohio, I would not be the fan I am if Vic’s schtick didn’t draw me in years ago. I know more now, but I’d be lying if I said he wasn’t largely responsible for developing me as a fan. My only experience before Vic was Duguid and Chevrier in the Olympics for NBC. They seemed great, but it was only for about 10 days every four years.

I suppose it can get tiring now that I know much much more, but it drew me in, and it drew in the people around me. To this day, even if it’s tiring, I hear Vic - I know it’s a big event.

My only real complaint about the coverage is that Mudryk looked like he slept on a bench outside the venue.

03-02-21 12:46PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Weak event for Russ

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingNut1994

Mentally he was definitely not all there it seems. I hope it was just due to stress from being in the bubble and not something more serious. I knew it probably wouldn't happen, but I was hoping Cheryl Bernard would say something or at the very least present the other side of it (aka the logical/common sense side) when Russ was going on these nonsensical ramblings.

It sounds like you and I are on the same page. Russ was so off his game that I started to think that there was/is something happening under the covers. There were many times that I was hoping Cheryl would jump in with the fix it up comment, but it didn't happen. Lots of simple agreement or silence. There were times it seemed like Russ was wearing his mask over his eyes and not his mouth and nose.

I hope they got the rust off of the announcing in the Scotties and that we get better analysis in the Brier.

03-02-21 05:13PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
TSN will show these games usually on 2-5 of their channels at the same time. Why not pick one channel with NO commentating and just let us hear the curlers and their discussions. Put out the pregame disclaimer parental advisory as there will be the odd curse or f-bomb, but I'd rather hear the pre-shot chatter, chatter during the shot, then the post shot analysis from the players, than the commentators fighting to talk over each other trying to get their on air time, one of which goes out of his way to "act" and maybe not so much, stupid.

Signed, carpal tunnel syndrome with thumb on the mute button, both from announcers and screechers.

I have said before, I would love to have every sport have a channel with no announcers, only the players' voices. There would definitely have to parental controls involved and viewer discretion disclaimer.

03-03-21 08:48PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

17% drop in viewers for opening weekend and 30% drop for Sunday's final
https://www.thestar.com/sports/curl...-from-2020.html

03-03-21 08:52PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Wow. Wonder why?

03-03-21 11:04PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by decade

That's surprising. Didn't realize Heartland would take away that many viewers.
I know quite a few people dropped TSN and SN when there was no sports on in the spring but that can't account for such a big drop.

03-04-21 12:11AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

TSN should get guest colour people. There are always teams not playing. Have guests do 5 ends each. Would be a good break from the norm.

03-04-21 02:03AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

I think part of the reason for the drop in TV audience is because many people had no idea the 'Scotties' was being played this year.
After almost a full winter of no live curling on TV - only repeats after repeats from the past few years -, I think a lot of people were lulled into the belief that there would be no live curling this year.

In a usual year, the 'Scotties', Brier, and the 2 World Championships are the climax and crescendo of a full season. When there is no season, there's no doubt that many would not expect the crescendo.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-04-21 09:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
I think part of the reason for the drop in TV audience is because many people had no idea the 'Scotties' was being played this year.
After almost a full winter of no live curling on TV - only repeats after repeats from the past few years -, I think a lot of people were lulled into the belief that there would be no live curling this year.

In a usual year, the 'Scotties', Brier, and the 2 World Championships are the climax and crescendo of a full season. When there is no season, there's no doubt that many would not expect the crescendo.

i dont know. scotties was pretty heavily advertised. id see commercials for it all the time. the brier, in contrast has not. we'll see.

03-04-21 10:26PM
spider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spider Click here to Send spider a Private Message Find more posts by spider Add spider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spider
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Thats actually a good idea. Unless TSN forced "guest commentators" to sign waivers agreeing not to criticize teams and/or individual curlers.

Kind of like how you give unusual or demeaning nicknames to players on here?

03-04-21 10:33PM
spider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spider Click here to Send spider a Private Message Find more posts by spider Add spider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spider
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
I’m going to post here with my American hat firmly in my head. You don’t know how lucky you are to have the TSN crew you’ve got. Compared to any American coverage I’ve ever seen, or heck any coverage from other countries too, the TSN commentators and crew are light years ahead of all of them. And were I a Canadian, I would call Vic a national treasure.

Respect!

03-05-21 02:24AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

I'm one who normally rolls my eyes at the commentary but this year, I'm just glad to have live curling on TV. Kudos to the teams that have brought streaming to the internet, but prefer seeing it on TV whenever possible.

03-06-21 12:32PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Did alex forrest retiire from curling ?

Was always impressed by him

Alex stepped back from the game for family timem

03-06-21 03:47PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

I think narrow. Caught quite a bit of his own.

03-06-21 04:07PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

During the Scotties and now during the Brier Russ has commented about how hard it is to remake the ice between draws and has quipped "you can't make water freeze faster" causing chuckles from his cohorts. Spoiler alert: there are quite a few ways to make water freeze faster.

03-10-21 12:26PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

Watching Dunstone/Koe this morning. Would someone please put a muzzle on Cathy G? Talking incessantly, often over the players with a lot of repetition of the obvious.

Last edited by Bmalky on 03-10-21 at 12:57PM

03-10-21 12:58PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bmalky
Watching Dunstone/Koe this morning. Would someone please put a muzzle on Cathy G? Talking insessantly, often over the players with a lot of repetition of the obvious.

That's why I"m getting carpal tunnel in my thumb from constantly hitting MUTE.

03-11-21 12:51AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

My few thoughts on the coverage:

1) Big picture, curling needs to realize it isn’t just some niche sport. The Scotties Final drew just under 700,000 viewers. The Stanley Cup Final last year drew an average of around 1.1M in Canada. Now TV numbers I inherently don’t trust (especially with more and more streaming), but the point is curling, especially the big events, draw significant numbers. I’d be curious to understand the contract negotiations between CC and TSN.

2) Vic is great. He’s truly the voice of curling. When there’s a big shot, there’s no one else I’d want narrating it, save for the late Don Wittman. He can stop “playing the fool” though (could have stopped 20 years ago). This goes to point #1. Curling viewers are knowledgeable about the game and can be treated as such.

3) Russ is good. He’s knowledgeable and has the pedigree. Cheryl is too nice to a fault. Having two analysts lacks utility if they always agree. Watching some old broadcasts made me appreciate how good and assertive Linda was.

4) There’s massive room for improvement on any sort of modest analytics or technology to add to the broadcast. Someone mentioned this earlier, but why not chart the different paths of a Homan takeout and Jones takeout to show people visually the difference in curl. Why are “percentages” the only way we can evaluate a player? Why did we lose the basic rock clock a number of years ago? Why are we not being told “teams that lead by X after X ends win X % of games”. There just seems like endless opportunities to add to the broadcast.

5) The keys to the game being no more than puns is an insult to viewers. Either offer something informative or get rid of the segment.

6) Grand scheme - the main crew are broadcasting 7 hours per day, which probably isn’t appreciated enough. I imagine a bulk of the production crew is there for all three draws. They do a good job.

03-14-21 04:05PM
Noodle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noodle Click here to Send Noodle a Private Message Find more posts by Noodle Add Noodle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noodle
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
I'm one who normally rolls my eyes at the commentary but this year, I'm just glad to have live curling on TV. Kudos to the teams that have brought streaming to the internet, but prefer seeing it on TV whenever possible.

I use the mute button just as often

03-14-21 04:55PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Noodle

I use the mute button just as often

The mute button is a viewer's best friend.

03-14-21 10:01PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Wndr who the maroon is at tsn that thinks viewers want to watch 4 shots from 2019 brier instead of lead shots tonight

Tv - sucking the life out of curling

l sure hope that TSN uses those pictures for the next 3 events. I can't get enough of the Richardsons. Although wouldnt mind seeing a pic of Putin sitting beside the women from NL.

07-18-23 04:26AM
drewbinsky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drewbinsky Find more posts by drewbinsky Add drewbinsky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewbinsky
Knee-Slider

Without using any additional software, you may convert HEIC to JPG simply from the website heic to jpg. Without suffering a considerable loss in image quality, you can convert HEIC to JPG.

08-23-23 03:51AM
UshaDestination is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UshaDestination Find more posts by UshaDestination Add UshaDestination to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UshaDestination
Knee-Slider

I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else have known such detailed information about my problem. you are awesome! Thank you! India Travel Blog And Usha Destinations