Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 12 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-20-22 01:14AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

Turkey needs to go back and study the no tick rule. Their failure to apply it in the first end led to a Japan steal that may well have been the difference between winning and losing this game.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-20-22 01:21AM
FleuryFan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FleuryFan Find more posts by FleuryFan Add FleuryFan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FleuryFan
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
Turkey needs to go back and study the no tick rule. Their failure to apply it in the first end led to a Japan steal that may well have been the difference between winning and losing this game.

Every end they didn’t have hammer they couldn’t get their center guards on the center line…

03-20-22 01:25AM
FleuryFan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FleuryFan Find more posts by FleuryFan Add FleuryFan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FleuryFan
Harvey Hacksmasher

In other news Alina Pätz curled a perfect 100% versus a Scottish side who had their skip throwing 8% on takeouts…

https://curlit.com/WWCC/aspnet/curr...entID=1&Sheet=C

03-20-22 05:04AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Brilliant win for Norway and a great performance today. Took Korea to an extra and beat Canada. If they can keep that levelmupnthey could surprise and be there in the final 6

03-20-22 05:31AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

I know it can’t be easy to play with 3 players and no skip, but losing 12-1 is completely unacceptable.

The selectors will already be wishing they’d just sent Muirhead.

03-20-22 05:44AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse

At this point while the event is on-going y'all should just root for whomever representing your countries. I'm rooting for Team Scotland to do well, and I'm not even Scottish.

I do have a soft spot for Sophie Jackson, though, and for Gina Aitken who I've seen play World Mixed Doubles.

03-20-22 05:49AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

At this point while the event is on-going y'all should just root for whomever representing your countries. I'm rooting for Team Scotland to do well, and I'm not even Scottish.

I do have a soft spot for Sophie Jackson, though, and for Gina Aitken who I've seen play World Mixed Doubles.

I am rooting for them. I root for Team Scotland regardless of who wears the jersey.

There’s a difference between rooting for a team and thinking that they’ll win, though.

03-20-22 06:09AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

The Canada vs Norway game had technical timeouts to summon the umpire to watch the hog line because the electronic handle would not activate.

Recall that they had a similar problem at the Olympics, and eventually they gave up and just deactivated the handles and went with honor system, no umpires.

They've been doing this at multiple events now if we also include the previous generation handles.

I predict that they will use honor system at this event, or maybe at World Men's.

03-20-22 07:38AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
The Canada vs Norway game had technical timeouts to summon the umpire to watch the hog line because the electronic handle would not activate.

Also happened several times during the Japan vs Turkey game.

Speaking of Japan, I just noticed that national coach JD Lind is not there with Team Kitazawa, though he is scheduled to be with Team Fujisawa next month for the Grand Slam. No idea what's up with that,

03-20-22 08:37AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
national coach JD Lind

I never understood how that was supposed to work, having a coach be assigned to whichever team comes out of Japan, when all those teams are competing against each other to come out of Japan.

The HP program in USA used to do that, but it created a lot of awkward situations between competitors, so they switched to having dedicated team coaches instead.

03-20-22 10:42AM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Dangermouse
I know it can’t be easy to play with 3 players and no skip, but losing 12-1 is completely unacceptable.

There was one positive from the game - they beat the Swiss on draw shot challenge!

Its still early days and I assume Scotland will be back to a team of 4 once Beth Farmer arrives.

Scotland also lost to the Swiss of course in their first game in Beijing. But their better DSC counted more in the end.

If Canada can lose to Norway - anything is possible.

Last edited by Martym on 03-20-22 at 11:04AM

03-20-22 11:14AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Norway curled over 80% and Canada in the 70s so it was a well deserved win. I feel bad for Kerri, you can't do much when your second and third are averaging 70% and your lead is in the low 80s. Just a pathetic showing after the morning draw.

03-20-22 02:43PM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

What a comeback from the Scottish three… 5-0 down early on they manage to score 9 points from their hammers in 5, 7 and 9 and only give up three points in 6 and 8. Scotland lead 9-8 without the hammer coming down the last.

03-20-22 03:03PM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Ah… Czechs get their 2 and win

I am so proud of Gina and the two Sophies though. MUCH better performance today.

03-20-22 04:47PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Honor system for the hogline the rest of the way. The fact that they can't install reliable handles is embarassing, this is not complicated, it worked pretty well for years but the last few have been a mess. The cynic in me figures they gave the contract to a pal, the optimist in me figures it's just the usual incompetence.

03-20-22 05:02PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

CAN made a whoopsie and maxed out an LSD against TUR. This could mean one of many things, e.g. rock didn't make it into the house, burned rock, rock was kicked off before measurement, hog line violation, wrong turn, same person delivers the second rock, illegal broom, etc.

If anyone know what happened (e.g. if you're in the building), please share.

03-20-22 06:07PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Honor system for the hogline the rest of the way. The fact that they can't install reliable handles is embarassing, this is not complicated, it worked pretty well for years but the last few have been a mess. The cynic in me figures they gave the contract to a pal, the optimist in me figures it's just the usual incompetence.

The handles they used from 2 years ago to 10 years ago worked fine. If it ain’t broke...

I see no problem with the honour system. Very rare rocks are hogged at the line anyway.

03-20-22 07:24PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Good bounce back for Canada. Played well. Russ should offer 5 minutes of free advice to team turkey. Could have been much closer with the right weight and the right calls.

03-20-22 08:02PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips k
CAN made a whoopsie and maxed out an LSD against TUR. This could mean one of many things, e.g. rock didn't make it into the house, burned rock, rock was kicked off before measurement, hog line violation, wrong turn, same person delivers the second rock, illegal broom, etc.

If anyone know what happened (e.g. if you're in the building), please share.

According to Vic, Valerie put her rock on the lid but Brianne didn’t make it to the rings.

03-20-22 08:12PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie
Brianne didn’t make it to the rings.

Huge mistake for an LSD from a 3x CAN champion lead, but they're still sitting pretty good on DSC, even though it's really too early to tell, and it may not actually matter in the end anyway.

https://curlit.com/WWCC/aspnet/DSC.aspx?EventID=1

03-20-22 08:45PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

We saw something interesting in the Sweden-Denmark game which was right in front of us on sheet D. In the 7th, late in the end, Sweden made a takeout and rocks were flying everywhere. However one Swedish rock which did not hit the boards was removed by a Sweden player before it came to rest. People all around us saw this, but the players didn't, and the game just carried on.

In curling we usually let the players sort out situations, but in this case no-one noticed and I thought an official should have done something. Maybe they didn't notice either, or do not intervene in this situation. Thoughts?

03-20-22 09:03PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Maybe the official thought it was going out anyway. I’ve been at events where on the other hand the players weren’t sure if the rock hit the side or not and turned to the spectators for advice. And it was accepted by both teams.

03-20-22 09:14PM
wsj28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wsj28 Click here to Send wsj28 a Private Message Find more posts by wsj28 Add wsj28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wsj28
Harvey Hacksmasher

Scotland will no longer be participating

quote:
Team Scotland has had to withdraw from the BKT Tires & OK Tire World Women’s Curling Championships In Prince George, Canada after two further members of the team tested positive for COVID.

https://t.co/aeTw8W4V1r

03-20-22 09:19PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Devastating for them, especially after all the chiding for being selected in the first place.

03-20-22 09:21PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Crushing news. Wouldn’t wish this on anyone. Hindsight maybe allow 6 person team and alternate just for covid times.

Also did they get it here or bring it with them and went unnoticed until tested every day. Again, feel bad for all.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 03-20-22 at 09:42PM