Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2022 World Mixed Doubles Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-30-22 11:29PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender
Canada isn't "dominated" in ANY curling event

I didn't say that Canada was dominated. I said that Europeans dominated the last 2 Continental Cups.

That statement is factually true because:
* Team World at 2019 Continental Cup was really just Europe (SUI, SCO, SWE)
* Team World started 2019 by sweeping all 9 points on Day 1, and finished 34-26 (+8).
* In 2020, Canada lost/broke even in every single draw, except #10 Skins thanks to an epic run by John Epping, but it still wasn't enough and Europe won by an even bigger margin than 2019 (+15).

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-30-22 at 11:55PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-01-22 12:04AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
If you want to put down the strength of Cdn Curling

I was mostly making a statement about European vs Pan-Continental.

The 13th spot at World Men's and Women's starting next year goes to whichever zone performed better, EU vs PC.

https://worldcurling.org/2021/09/pccc-introduction/

CAN would probably always qualify from PC directly, but if the 13th spot always goes to EU year after year, with PC not even close to winning it ever, that's a remarkable statement about the "dominance" (for lack of better words) of EU over PC (which includes CAN).

05-01-22 12:12AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
novelty events

I would love for Continental Cup to reflect the new WCF landscape and becomes European vs Pan-Continental.

In other words, Canada would be playing alongside Japan and Korea, instead of against them.

Imagine Einarson/Fujisawa/Kim vs Hasselborg/Muirhead/Tirinzoni on the women's side, for example. Sure, most Canadians probably don't care to watch it, but I would.

05-01-22 03:50AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Scotland retain their gold medal from last year!! Incredible achievement.

Eve Muirhead confirming herself as one of the greatest curlers of the 21st century (if not all time) with a remarkable year in which she bounced back from failing to qualify directly for the Olympics and:

- Won the European championships

- Won the OQE in the Netherlands

- Won Olympic gold after just scraping through the round robin

- Came through the Scottish mixed doubles championship with Lammie and thrashed the defending world champion team in the final.

- Cruised through the worlds to win gold with an unbeaten 11-0. Only lost one stolen end all championship.

05-01-22 01:08PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I haven't watched all games, but Sven Michel and Alina Pätz are the only couple I've seen who regularly kiss after each game. Also, at the medal ceremony, Pätz bestowed the medal to Michel, unlike all other curlers on the podium, whose medals were bestowed by their coaches.

Also, on the podium, Team Germany bestowed each other the medals and the miniature curling stones, but they all picked their own boxes of chocolate.

(Uli Kapp did yoink the box of chocolate that Pia-Lisa Schöll was reaching for, so she had to settle for the last remaining box instead).

This proves that in life, a box of premium Swiss chocolate is worth more than medals. They should've given extra chocolate for the silver medalists in my opinion, and even more chocolate for the bronze, just to make things more interesting.

PS: I don't think they mentioned this on air, but the announcer at the medal ceremony is Peter de Cruz. He wore a suit but with no necktie and with his topmost shirt button undone.

Last edited by curlingclips on 05-01-22 at 01:54PM

05-01-22 04:09PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Dream year for Eve she was on fire. 90% in MD is unreal. Impressed with Lammie's shooting as well. Full value for the gold, too bad it was virtually over when Sven misswept Alina's perfect freeze in the 1st and Eve made the hit for 4.
As for ppl talking about the continental cup like it matters, puh-leeze. It's a joke event with made up on the spot teams and skins game stupidity and the players treat it as a funspiel holiday.

Last edited by hogged again on 05-01-22 at 04:12PM

05-01-22 04:59PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
continental cup [...] a funspiel holiday.

Regardless, it would be nice if Europeans don't "dominate" (for lack of better words) every year, wouldn't it?

If anything, that's Curling Canada money that goes to European teams instead of Canadian teams (winners take home twice as much money as losers).

Does money matter in curling? I think some people would say yes.

05-01-22 09:31PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Regardless, it would be nice if Europeans don't "dominate" (for lack of better words) every year, wouldn't it?

If anything, that's Curling Canada money that goes to European teams instead of Canadian teams (winners take home twice as much money as losers).

Does money matter in curling? I think some people would say yes.

Dominating a funspiel matters not. Twice as much money is also misleading as wasn't it 1000 per player difference (2k to win, 1k to show up)? I've seen the games, the intensity level is zero.

05-01-22 11:59PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
wasn't it 1000 per player difference

In 2020, it was $5,000 per person for the winners, half of that for the losers.

https://www.curling.ca/files/2019/1...media-guide.pdf

WINNING TEAM
RECEIVES: $135,000CDN ($5,000 each - shared among 24 players, two coaches & captain)
LOSING TEAM
RECEIVES: $67,500CDN ($2,500 each - shared among 24 players, two coaches & captain)

05-03-22 10:50PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

With Mixed Doubles becoming more and more dominated by ringer pairings from dominant men's and women's teams, the question must be asked: does Mixed Doubles even deserve to be considered a separate discipline? Is there anything special about mixed doubles that makes it stand out as a truly separate entity, or is it just an excuse to give out an additional medal at the Olympics?

05-04-22 01:12AM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
With Mixed Doubles becoming more and more dominated by ringer pairings from dominant men's and women's teams, the question must be asked: does Mixed Doubles even deserve to be considered a separate discipline? Is there anything special about mixed doubles that makes it stand out as a truly separate entity, or is it just an excuse to give out an additional medal at the Olympics?

I personally don't care that much about Mixed Doubles, and will only watch when the likes of the Muirhead/Lammies, Patz/Michel's, etc. of the game are playing. While I did enjoy watching the Worlds, more than I usually do (which is only in the Olympcis and only "big name" curlers playing, it still doesn't hold a candle to the regular game, to me anyway.
I would have much preferred having Mixed 4 person curling in the Olympics before Mixed Doubles. With that said, I'm okay with it being it's own discipline and in the Olympics, however, it is just not something I typically will invest much time or energy into.

05-05-22 07:25AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
is it just an excuse to give out an additional medal

Disregarding everything else and focusing on this for a second...

Is that such a bad thing even if a sport is just another excuse to give out another medal? World Wheelchair Mixed Doubles is going on right now, and Hungary is in the final. Hungary has won 2 World Mixed Doubles gold medals already.

Hungary probably will not medal in men's/women's for the foreseeable future, and now they're in for a possible 3rd gold.

How can this be a bad thing?

05-05-22 10:41AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Disregarding everything else and focusing on this for a second...

Is that such a bad thing even if a sport is just another excuse to give out another medal? World Wheelchair Mixed Doubles is going on right now, and Hungary is in the final. Hungary has won 2 World Mixed Doubles gold medals already.

Hungary probably will not medal in men's/women's for the foreseeable future, and now they're in for a possible 3rd gold.

How can this be a bad thing?

Stop the presses. I’ll admit I agree with clips. Having the smaller curling countries get a better chance at a medal is a good thing. It may help build towards 4 person teams if there’s enough interest.

05-05-22 12:55PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
is it just an excuse to give out an additional medal

Rumor has it that WCF is considering adding Triples as well, so there's another excuse for a medal.

They don't have plans for World Junior Mixed Doubles yet, though...

05-05-22 02:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Rumor has it that WCF is considering adding Triples as well, so there's another excuse for a medal.

They don't have plans for World Junior Mixed Doubles yet, though...

I thought you were kidding about triples but I found the info. Holy crap does that sound stupid

05-05-22 02:22PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Curling Canada Triples announcement:
https://www.curling.ca/blog/2020/08...iples-incoming/

Curling Canada Triples rules:
https://www.curling.ca/files/2020/0...iples-Final.pdf

I forgot where I read/heard about WCF's version, but it's probably going to be very similar.

Rob Krepps: "I’ve always felt that our sport would benefit from different formats, first and foremost to keep things fresh and fun. Having more formats also has the potential to make more medals available at the Olympics. Just look at sports like speed skating, swimming, or gymnastics, where there are literally dozens of medals available. If we were to add triples and singles to the established formats of fours and doubles, and if we were to have separate men’s and women’s competitions in each, there would instantly be eight sets of curling medals up for grabs"

Personally I think Junior Mixed Doubles should have higher priority than Triples, but Triples is junior-friendly as well, so I guess they're sort of killing two birds with one stone.

Last edited by curlingclips on 05-05-22 at 02:34PM

05-05-22 02:38PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

It just sounds like such a freaking mess when I read the rules. Mixed doubles has appeal triples just sounds stupid.

Why not focus an junior mixed events or perhaps getting 4 person mixed more attention then worrying about some ridiculous new format

I mean, introducing a new format is fine but only if it makes sense and triples just..doesn't. You've got 4 person mixed which is painfully neglected. Like I said work on that

Or what about stick curling

Last edited by misty1 on 05-05-22 at 02:45PM

05-05-22 02:46PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
some ridiculous new format

First of all, the rumor may not even be true. Putting that aside, I agree that Triples is probably not ready for WCF prime time competition yet, but the clubs that have Triples program supposedly say that it's a great use of their ice time. It's great for youth curlers because everyone plays every position, and 6 people on the ice instead of 4 playing 6 ends instead of 8 means clubs can charge more money for ice time running Triples instead of Doubles.

I'm still scared to step foot into a curling club to try curling, but I would play Triples before anything else.

05-05-22 03:20PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Singles curling is even more stupid. 8ts basically q skills competition and 5akes away from what curling is. A team sport

05-05-22 03:33PM
lixit74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lixit74 Click here to Send lixit74 a Private Message Find more posts by lixit74 Add lixit74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lixit74
Harvey Hacksmasher

The rules aren't helping very much. For learning purposes amazing! You play 6 ends and you need to play each position for 2 ends...
Everyone skips, everyone throws lead and everyone sweeps during the game.
The coaches are on the ice to help guide the learning players what to do in game situation.
The scoring sounds complicated but you essentially play 6x skins instead of counting total points. ends 1 thru 4 are worth 1 point & ends 5 & 6 are worth 2 points each... I've played the game where you alternate hammer regardless of who scores. This means that during the game, each team will get hammer 3 times.

05-05-22 03:41PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Singles curling is even more stupid.

Singles is big in Sweden. So big that they've codified 3 protocols:

Classic: https://www.curling.se/globalassets...urprotokoll.pdf
Kids: https://www.curling.se/globalassets...r_protokoll.pdf
Modern: https://www.curling.se/globalassets...r_protokoll.pdf

Supposedly, whereas most Canadian curlers didn't start sweeping their own stones until they started playing doubles, Swedish curlers have been sweeping their own stones since they were very young by playing Singles.

05-05-22 07:49PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

I'd do solo curling before triples. Sports like tennis and figure skating all enjoy far more popularity in the singles disciplines than pairs. I'd love to see Gushue and Edin duking it out mano y mano, doing everything themselves.

That would be something truly different from team curling.

05-05-22 08:21PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I'd love to see Gushue and Edin duking it out mano y mano, doing everything themselves

That would be interesting, but to clarify, Singles in curling usually means a shotmaking competition. It's not 1v1 adversarial game between red rocks and yellow rocks. It's basically more like archery, each athlete performing tasks independent of each other, no interference, no offense/defense.

Sure, you can compare Gushue and Edin in such a competition, but why stop at those 2? You might as well toss in Anna Hasselborg and Eve Muirhead as well. There's no round robin or playoff brackets, you can have as many players simultaneously as there are sheets of ice.

05-05-22 10:09PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

True 1-on-1 curling would be awesome. A real test of curling acumen and stamina. I doubt you would ever see Jennifer Jones attempt it.

Limit it to five rocks an end over six ends, and that's a killer one hour block of content.

05-05-22 11:39PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
True 1-on-1 curling would be awesome.

A big part of the joy of watching broadcast curling for me is listening to the players. 1v1 wouldn't have much discussion, but some curlers are their own narrators/commentators, so sure, I'd love to watch it. John Shuster would be fun to watch, I bet.