Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Changes - Early Discussion

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 35 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-29-21 10:01AM
hoggedrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hoggedrock Find more posts by hoggedrock Add hoggedrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hoggedrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

Team Changes - Early Discussion

I know, I know, it's early!

But we all know there's going to be some big changes after this season. So after the fun of last night, let's have some fun speculating.

WOMEN'S
1. Team Jones. This Olympics might be the perfect reason for Jen to go off into retirement on a second high in her career. If she does, I would love to see Kaitlyn move up to skipping duties
2. I can see Team Fleury staying together. With a great season and seemingly good dynamics, they would be silly to disband.
3. Team Homan. They'll disband. But who knows where things will shake out. I will be very, very surprised if they don't change anything.
4. Team Rocque. I think they'll stick it out unless Kelsey gets an offer to join a top 3 team at third.
5. Team McCarville. Obviously staying together.
6. Team Walker. Not sure on this one. Wouldn't surprise me to see a back end shake up.
Young guns of notable mention:
- Anticipate we'll see Corryn Brown of BC stay together. They have been together for decades.
- Curious to see if Zacharias team stays together or if Karlee Burgess gets the call to the big leagues circa Kaitlyn Lawes 2010.

MEN'S
1. Team Gushue. A fantastic team. They'll stay together. Who else could be a better fit? I think Brad and Mark will do one more full cycle before considering retiring.
2. Team Jacobs. Unless Marc goes back into semi-retirement, I think this team stays together.
3. Team Koe. Really not sure what we'll see here. Can't see Johnny Mo committing to another 4 years. Koe is also probably considering riding off into the sunset, but male curlers tend to have greater longevity than female curlers. Will we see BJ return to Manitoba?
4. Team McEwen. They obviously had a roller coaster season. I would love to see Mike and Matt Dunstone team up. Or maybe even Ryan Fry. We'll see changes, but not sure what.
5. Team Dunstone. What ever happened to Braeden at the trials? We'll never know. But there's no point in doing another 4 years if there wasn't a damn good reason he wasn't at the trials. I think Matt will want to be back in a powerhouse province.
6. Team Bottcher. I think Brendan and the front end will stick it out. The question is if they keep Darren for another cycle. They finally broke through the Brier win but with a lack luster trials they'll be contemplating their future.
7. Team Epping. They couldn't find any consistency. I think they just all come from such different curling backgrounds, styles of play and style of throwing, another 4 years won't change much for them. Wouldn't be surprised to see Brent take a step back.
8. Team Horgan. This I'm excited to see. Will Tanner be called up to the big leagues somewhere?
9. Team Howard. Will Glenn finally retire?! I think so.
10. Team Gunnlaugson. Think we'll see changes here too. Wozniak seemed frustrated throughout his time with this team.

Wherever these teams shake out, can't wait to see the DRAMA!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-29-21 10:21AM
hoggedrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hoggedrock Find more posts by hoggedrock Add hoggedrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hoggedrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

How could I have forgotten to mention, Team Einarson!
This one could go either way. I think they'll stick it out, unless Val choses to move along. Conversely, if Jones truly does retire after the Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised to see Birchard play third for Kaitlyn Lawes.

11-29-21 10:45AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by hoggedrock
How could I have forgotten to mention, Team Einarson!
This one could go either way. I think they'll stick it out, unless Val choses to move along. Conversely, if Jones truly does retire after the Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised to see Birchard play third for Kaitlyn Lawes.

Well these were refreshing posts that summarized the current state of affairs quite nicely I think. I hope Matty D can stay in Sask. Now for something that I would like to see happen but probably won't. I believe that Emma Miskew and Sarah Wilkes need to get away from Rachel Homan. If Rachel wants to know why their team has slipped recently she needs to look in the mirror. Emma could be a dominant third again with the right team where she does not have to "manage" her skip as much. Also Courtney has not made enough shots on the team at second or lead. You still need to be a great shot maker first before you worry about sweeping skills. And I do think Jones will fully retire very soon and Lawes will skip a team but not sure who that would be.

11-29-21 10:56AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Miskew has been with Homan for 20 years, can't see those two splitting from each other. I can see Epping making a change; it's probably harder than it seems but I do think one of the team's struggles is with the skip's sweep. Not sure how that could be fixed, though. Can also see changes with the younger teams.

11-29-21 11:28AM
hoggedrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Miskew has been with Homan for 20 years, can't see those two splitting from each other. I can see Epping making a change; it's probably harder than it seems but I do think one of the team's struggles is with the skip's sweep. Not sure how that could be fixed, though. Can also see changes with the younger teams.

Brad and Mark needed time apart when Mark went and played for Stoughton. This allowed them both to grow before reuniting, as stronger people, players, and more mature teammates. I think this would greatly benefit Rachel and Emma to spend some time apart.

11-29-21 11:42AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by hoggedrock

Brad and Mark needed time apart when Mark went and played for Stoughton. This allowed them both to grow before reuniting, as stronger people, players, and more mature teammates. I think this would greatly benefit Rachel and Emma to spend some time apart.

Good point. I could also see Rachel perhaps taking a bit of a hiatus from the sport for a bit.
Refreshed, recharged, could be dangerous.

11-29-21 05:12PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Jacobs will be interesting since he's been threatening to retire for 3 years. It's unfortunate as this is a team that should be able to win a Brier. But that's the story of Jacobs, really, truly top tier team but have never been able to win the big one since their Olympic Gold. Main issue is never making a final; this was the first big final they've landed since their Brier loss in 2015.

I assume Koe will lose everyone but Hebert? Though again i don't see why they should split. They could pop off a Brier win any year. if Jacobs retires maybe Kennedy can come home.

11-29-21 06:23PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Throughout the season the team won their opener, but failed to win in the rest of their CF appearances. It's odd to me given the talent in the team and probably more frustrating than odd to them.

11-29-21 09:30PM
Par89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par89 Find more posts by Par89 Add Par89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par89
Swing Artist

Agree with a lot of posts. Heard Emma thinking of starting family, so that could change things. Lots of people I know think Koe would do better to say goodbye to Hebert. He is disruptive. Lots of slams and provincials still to come for teams but think BJ will go back to Manitoba and Epping might need new team...we shall see.

11-29-21 11:04PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Par89
Agree with a lot of posts. Heard Emma thinking of starting family, so that could change things. Lots of people I know think Koe would do better to say goodbye to Hebert. He is disruptive. Lots of slams and provincials still to come for teams but think BJ will go back to Manitoba and Epping might need new team...we shall see.

Koe and Hebert and tight friends and among one of the best brushers around; see the last end of the McEwen v Koe RR game.

11-30-21 06:50AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well Team Homan doesn’t have an auto berth at the Ontario Scotties…wonder if Curling Canada will give them one?

https://twitter.com/curlon_/status/...6594427904?s=21

11-30-21 07:11AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Curling Canada can't tell Ontario what to do, I don't think. Curling Canada can give Homan a Wildcard spot at the national level, probably, but I don't think they can mess with the provincial process.

11-30-21 11:18AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
restricted from Ontario playdowns

She hasn't been restricted from Ontario playdown. She has to qualify, and then battle it out against Jacqueline Harrison, Hollie Duncan, Jestyn Murphy, and whomever else that qualify to win Ontario.

Honestly I don't understand why this is such a big deal to you people. Yes, Homan is a highly decorated curler, but she needs to qualify the way everyone else does. This is the way it has been for her, always.

Remember when Cathy Gauthier suggested that Canada should always automatically qualify for the Olympics in mixed doubles because we won gold in 2018? That was, I'm sorry to say, a ridiculous argument. This Homan/Ontario situation is not all that different.

11-30-21 11:21AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Homan should've had a shoo-in because she should've placed above Harrison this week. But she didn't. So Harrison got it.

As for wild cards, are we not back to the play-in game format this year? Fleury should win Manitoba but if not then she's guaranteed a spot as there's almost no way she even falls to #2 by the January pick date (she's 90 points ahead of #2...Jones...right now). Next on the lis (which is not yet updated to reflect the trials, but not much will change) are Duncan, Walker, Erinarson and Homan all within a couple points. Einarson is in already. There's then a small gap to Carey and Rocque, larger gap to Galusha and Brown and then a larger gap still to Zacharias and Scheidegger. Anyone who doesn't get to play at the Open in January has to hope for a whack of good luck to make that WC game. Whereas a good SF or Final appearance from Homan would raise her above the pack. We'll know more once the teams for the Open are annoucnced.

Ultimately it seems unlikely Homan will miss the Scotties, but it is possible if she has a terrible Open and both Dunan and Walker fail to get a provincial spot.

The men are more interesting with people like Epping so far down the list he better find a way to win provincials or the Open before then.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 11-30-21 at 11:24AM

11-30-21 11:30AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Homan should've had a shoo-in because she should've placed above Harrison this week. But she didn't. So Harrison got it.

Exactly. And she would've been shoo-in if her CTRS is high enough, but it's not, so that went to Duncan. And she would've been shoo-in if she won the Trillium Tour Series, but she didn't, so that went to Murphy.

This is how you grow the sport in Ontario, and frankly in the rest of Canada and the rest of the world. It's not healthy for Ontario to just nominate Homan to the Scotties no matter what everyone else did.

11-30-21 01:22PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
The fraternity already keeps newcomers out of the slams due to the paternalistic points system

Champions Cup invites the World Junior champions regardless of ranking. That's how Tyler Tardi got in 2018 Champions Cup. They did invite Jacques Gauthier and Mackenzie Zacharias for 2020, but that got cancelled due to COVID, and they had to change the format for the bubble in 2021.

Champions Cup also invites the USA champions regardless of ranking. That's how Jamie Sinclair got in 2017 Champions Cup with her new team after separating from Nina Roth to start from scratch.

The Open invites the winner of Tour Challenge Tier 2 regardless of ranking. That's how Korey Dropkin got in 2020 Open.

Some slams have sponsor exemption invites once in a while. That's how Kaitlyn Jones got into 2018 Masters.

Lots of young curlers have played their way into the slams without having all the necessary ranking points to qualify. The only slam that is strictly ranking points only is the Players Championship, but that's why it's the most prestigious of all the slams.

Last edited by curlingclips on 11-30-21 at 01:40PM

11-30-21 03:18PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

To be clear, young curlers in Canada are facing lots of challenges, pandemic aside. The delay year that they reintroduced (Canadian champion goes to World one year after), no path to bridge the gap to Men's & Women's other than taking years and years of beatings, lack of support at university/college level despite CIS/U-Sports/Universiade, etc.

Access to the slams is frankly not that high on their priority list, from what I understand, but I'm no expert.

11-30-21 04:44PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Buddy, you need to see a therapist. Yikes.

11-30-21 05:00PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Fresca crossed a line. Moderators need to know that his remarks are not acceptable here. Please take action.

11-30-21 05:02PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

Agree that fresca’s xenophobic, racist rant doesn’t belong here. Disgusting.

11-30-21 05:29PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Naw , young curlers have no interest in winning $25,000 on a weekend , getting access to sponsors , being on tv , playing against the best in the game - only fair to let foreigners in and let them pile on points for futue eligibility

Lol - who wouldnt want to win an olympic berth and get wrapped in a blanket paid for by taxpayers - my blanket wud be on kijiji by now -no reserve

How many turkeys would it take one of those headdresses ?

I gave up my jet 10 pack so i didnt have to watch true north thank everybody for the free land

I guess you better quit watching curling. You never know when they will show Eianrson with her Metis heritage. You are something!

11-30-21 06:56PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Naw , young curlers have no interest in winning $25,000 on a weekend , getting access to sponsors , being on tv , playing against the best in the game - only fair to let foreigners in and let them pile on points for futue eligibility

Lol - who wouldnt want to win an olympic berth and get wrapped in a blanket paid for by taxpayers - my blanket wud be on kijiji by now -no reserve

How many turkeys would it take to make one of those head dresses ?

I gave up my jet 10 pack so i didnt have to watch true north thank everybody for the free land

What a repulsive comment. FYI many of Canada's top curlers from Einarson, Asham, the Koe family (Fred Koe is FYI a residential 'school' survivor), all Indigenous in origin and could kick your butt in any level of play. Shameful these comments left up, in my group (Rockheads on FB), the user would be permanently expelled.

Last edited by MeaghanEdwards on 11-30-21 at 07:06PM

11-30-21 07:59PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Can't even report it because the button doesn't work.

11-30-21 08:01PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

This is the same guy who rants about banning "foreigners" from playing in Canadian bonspiels. The same guy who posted how he was hoping for violence in post trial riots in Minneapolis. Fresca is normally a get off my lawn crackpot but he's finally crossed the line.

Last edited by hogged again on 11-30-21 at 08:57PM

11-30-21 08:14PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

But back to the changes.
Sweeting going to play for Walker in AB as does Peterman. Cameron to play 3rd for Birchard w Mellieur and McEwen front end. Einarson skips Zacharias. Lawes to Homan team.
Epping gets Scott Howard and March w Camm staying at 2nd. Laing returns to Glen Howard in a back to the future team with Middaugh. Fry joins Tardi in quest to rep all provinces at Brier.