Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Canadian Mixed Doubles

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-22-21 01:42PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I think the question here is, since the 2 disciplines have nothing to do with each other why should 4 person team ranking mean anything.

That's a fair question to debate, but regardless of which side of the fence you're in, it's not handpicking, which is my main point.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-22-21 01:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

That's a fair question to debate, but regardless of which side of the fence you're in, it's not handpicking, which is my main point.

I think the only reason that people are saying that is because there is the theory goung around that CC hand picked some of the pairs and put them together. Some of the pairs are a little bizarre like gushue/einarson or moulding/courtney and it's lead to that. Not saying I agree with this theory but I have seen it floated around and maybe that's what some on here mean. Then there's the whole John Morris situation.

03-22-21 02:04PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
there is the theory going around that CC hand picked some of the pairs and put them together

Regardless of whether the theory is true or not, the combined CTRS still needs to be high enough to get in. So it's not handpicking either way.

quote:
Then there's the whole John Morris situation.

Danielle Schmiemann/Jason Ginter is ranked #18 in CMDR. This is probably why Morris/Schmiemann can get in via CMDR.

If Morris were to replace Homan with some other curler, they probably wouldn't get in. The replacement would have to have high enough rating in CMDR for the new pairing to qualify.

03-22-21 02:05PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Well, I mean, that depends on how you feel about the arbitrary numbers of 14 CMDR teams and 7 CTRS teams. Because if it were 15/6 then you'd have... Pincott/Dunstone instead of Njegovan/Carruthers.

Or, there were always 32 teams before. So if it was the way it was every other year, it appears (based on my reading of the ranking spreadsheet) that the following teams were passed over

#5 Homan/Morris - Homan Declined, Morris playing with #6 Schmeimann/Morris
#15 Kitz/Stewart - Kitz already playing with #14 Kitz/Kleibrink
#16 Cottrill/Cottrill - Declined
#18 Schmeimann/Ginter - Schmeimann already playing with #6 Schmeimann/Morris
#19 Broderson/Kleibrink - Kleibrink already playing with #14 Kitz/Kleibrink
#21 Pincott/Dunstone
#23 Liscumb/Liscumb
#24 deGooijer/Springer
#25 Ferguson/Doering

In the way Curling Canada did the Brier and Scotties fields, they added wildcards, but they didn't eliminate anyone who would have otherwise qualified. That being said, by changing the rules, they have essentially handpicked the 7 CTRS teams over those four boldfaced teams.

03-22-21 02:15PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Regardless of whether the theory is true or not, the combined CTRS still needs to be high enough to get in. So it's not handpicking either way.

Danielle Schmiemann/Jason Ginter is ranked #18 in CMDR. This is probably why Morris/Schmiemann can get in via CMDR.

If Morris were to replace Homan with some other curler, they probably wouldn't get in. The replacement would have to have high enough rating in CMDR for the new pairing to qualify.

Again, not saying I agree with that theory. But it is going around

And if it is true thats not okay. As posted above there are some good teams that got left in the cold because the qualification rules were changed. I'd rather have seen them there

Last edited by misty1 on 03-22-21 at 02:20PM

03-22-21 02:18PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
how you feel about the arbitrary numbers

I would argue that 14+14+7 is not arbitrary.

It's the 14 base number for interprovincial representation in Canada, plus an equal amount for highest rated CMDR teams, plus half amount of combined CTRS teams.

14+15+6 would be arbitrary.

I will concede that maybe it should've been 14+14+2, i.e. reduce the number of CTRS teams.

But in any case, there is no handpicking.

03-22-21 02:31PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
But in any case, there is no handpicking.

lol, well, at this point, I think it's probably best we agree to disagree and just enjoy the matches that are left!

03-22-21 02:34PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Again, not saying I agree with that theory. But it is going around

Lots of conspiracy theories going around. That's a bad thing.
quote:
I'd rather have seen (some other team(s)) there

So you'd rather they handpick teams instead of using CMDR and CTRS? That's nonsense, in my opinion. There should not be handpicking allowed.

You either have to win your province/territory, or have good enough rating to get in via CMDR or CTRS, period.

03-22-21 02:56PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters

lol, well, at this point, I think it's probably best we agree to disagree and just enjoy the matches that are left!

I will concede that you have a good point, which I will rephrase here for clarity.

You're basically saying that, since it was 14+18 last time, if we're going to add a third criteria, it should be 14+18+X.

Meaning, if we're going to have 35 teams, maybe it should be 14+18+3 instead of 14+14+7.

That's a fair point!

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-22-21 at 03:11PM

03-22-21 03:06PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

That's a fair summation -

That being said.. this year.. who knows what's right and wrong? It's mixed doubles rankings as of 12-31-2020, but with so few events this year, who knows if it's fair or not? Much of the provincial/territorial representation won last year's qualifiers, not this year's - since lots of playdowns were cancelled.

Like I said - from my point of view, I'm much more familiar with the higher level 4 person teams than the higher level doubles teams whose players aren't at the Brier/Scotties.

So in that way, this way makes it more approachable for me, and the people in my life I rope into following this.

I'm kind of arguing to argue here, because discussing curling is more fun than not discussing curling.

03-22-21 03:11PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Personally I'm okay with cutting off the bottom of CMDR to add more from the top of CTRS.

For what it's worth, the 4 extra CTRS teams added were:

Briane Meilleur/Mark Nichols
Kerri Einarson/Brad Gushue
Joanne Courtney/Darren Moulding
Selena Njegovan/Reid Carruthers

I'd say that's a good list of names to add. They're all champions, with the exception of Njegovan. And Courtney/Carruthers are world silver medalists in 2017, which I think justifies their inclusion, even if they're now playing with different partners.

03-22-21 03:22PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Lots of conspiracy theories going around. That's a bad thing.

So you'd rather they handpick teams instead of using CMDR and CTRS? That's nonsense, in my opinion. There should not be handpicking allowed.

You either have to win your province/territory, or have good enough rating to get in via CMDR or CTRS, period.

No I'd rather they hadn't changed the rules . As was stated some of those teams would have quslified and been here if they hadn't changed things . That is why i said I'd rather have seen those teams here

03-22-21 03:33PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
why not hand them out to mixed doubles teams who didnt qualify already like carey/Hodgson.

To be clear, Carey/Hodgson still wouldn't have qualified even if they went with original 2019 composition (14+18).

03-22-21 04:28PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Other prominent male curlers who haven't dallied into the mixed doubles:

- Old Glenny Howard
- Wayner Middaugh
- Scotty Howard
- The Brush Brothers
- Brad Jacobs
-

On the ladies side obviously the big missing is R. Homan. Thought Jill Officer might corral up a nephew to compete but her retirement must be serious (and final)
Other prominent women & men NOT playing MD = Robyn Silvernagle, Jan Betker, Coco Jones, Kimbo Kelly, Krista McCarville, Ashley Sippala, Lord William Lyburn, Dunstone, Moskowy, Gunner. Cotter, McCuish.

Dunstone does play but didn’t “qualify” this time

03-22-21 04:48PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Other prominent women & men NOT playing MD = [...] Coco Jones, [...], Gunner

You are just making stuff up.

Assuming Coco Jones is Colleen Jones, she played in 2020 NS championship with her son. They would've been in this championship had they won.

https://www.curlingzone.com/event.p...1&teamid=143624
https://www.curling.ca/blog/2019/11...-in-the-family/

Moreover, Jason Gunnlaugson played 2020 MB championship with his wife. They would've been in this championship had they won.

https://mb.curling.io/en/events/574...mpionship/teams

They were in 2018 championship. In 2017 and in the Olympic trials, Gunnlaugson played with Shannon Birchard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_...ng_Championship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_...ng_Championship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ 2018...c_Trials

Let's put some effort in the posts and not just make stuff up.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-22-21 at 06:15PM

03-22-21 05:41PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

The playoff format is bizarre. You can win your group and still end up with the group of 7 2nd and 3rd place teams in a qualifier.
Top 4 group winners go to final 8.The 5th group winner plays the #12 team (a 3rd place finisher) while the 5 2nd place teams and 1 other 3rd place team play and the 4 winners go to the final 8.
Winning your group should have the same reward, a spot in the final 8. If you let all 5 group winners into the final 8 then the 5 2nd place finishers and 1 3rd place team would play for the other 3 spots. 11 playoff spots instead of 12.

03-22-21 07:52PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Gushue

Was going to live stream his game on Facebook and TSN said no. You would think that the sponsors would be ok with it as extra on ice free ads that wouldn't normally get shown. And they usually get over 1000 viewers for regular spiels I can only imagine way more for this.

TSN, we WON'T show it, and nobody else can either.

Maybe we need Kramer to sneak in and film it.

03-22-21 08:37PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I've been mostly fascinated by the brooms that people are using. This morning, Gallant used his Team Gushue broom. Most people have been using some generic brooms. Jones was delivering with hair broom in the Scotties, but she uses her sweeping broom for mixed doubles.

I wonder how many brooms there are in that quarantine hotel.

I noticed that for 2018 Olympics, Team Koe brought 7 brooms to most games. Laing was the only odd man that didn't have his own delivering broom.

03-22-21 08:46PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Talk about the pot calling the cat black

Manitoba Legend claimed, without evidence, that Jason Gunnlaugson does not play mixed doubles.

I counterclaimed, with evidence, that Jason Gunnlaugson played in 2017 championship with Shannon Birchard. He also played in 2018 Olympic trial with Birchard. He played in 2018 championship with his wife, and had they won MB in 2020, they would've been in this year's championship.

That is not a 'pot calling kettle black' situation.

On a personal note, I recommend that you watch any Gunnlaugson/Birchard games you can find. Those two had excellent team dynamics.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-22-21 at 08:49PM

03-22-21 08:55PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I don't hate anyone here. I just want us to have quality discussion with factual basis. No making stuff up as you go along. No conspiracy theories.

//edit: here's a gift/peace offering for those who have never seen Gunnlaugson play mixed doubles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgSNW7GLF7M
https://www.curlingzone.com/post.php?postid=884

It's a quad takeout against Jamie Sinclair/Korey Dropkin. Gunnlaugson/Birchard went undefeated 6-0 and won the event.

Also, for the Jim Cotter fans, if you didn't already know, he played in the 2016 championship with his daughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAopS5jnm0M&t=6m51s
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sask...ition-1.3518261

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-22-21 at 09:46PM

03-23-21 10:37AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
I find md hard to watch

They all seem to dump every rock into 4 ft then play fluke shots the last few rocks

Its dragged out as are all cc events - the first 4 day is betterthan endless covid , murder , basket ball and nightly repetitive jets games playing same teams - some femes scream to much - if gallant is pounding it at the hog the screaming is just i gnorant

Hilarious that the females all seem to be chatty cathy knowitalls and the men put up with it - you an tell a few men are annoyed - speaking of curling clips .................
He is quite unbareable too

Ah, Fresca. Irony is dead. You’re chirping at another poster for being unbearable while you make misogynistic posts about women. The men holler to sweep, too.

Fun fact: when referring to humans female is not a noun.

03-23-21 10:53AM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

TSN is still bringing three games today, just later so they can pick up the first playoff round at 8:30 eastern.

Generally agree with your favourites but Morris/Schmieman has a shot too.

03-23-21 11:05AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Hope this doesn't set off Curling Clipboard's trigger-temper as its simply an expression of opinion (like the vast majority of my posts) vs. a stated fact. . . .

No secret the odds-on favorite to win the MD gold - Little Laura Walker & Duke Muyres.

Not only because they're unbeaten and already qualified to advance but more their variety of skills.

Walker, after several years of frustration and working with weaker teams is now a legit Top 5 Canadian women's skip - some would even have her 3rd behind Einarson & Homan but I've still got her in 4th or 5th, exceeded by JJ & Kris McCarville. If she could parachute her current 3rd (Kate Cameron) and find herself a Birchard/Lawes/Miskew type she'd be very competitive with the Top 2 for the next several years.

Muyres may have an odd strategical process but in the end he works well with Walker and as a former top skip in SK he makes a ton of hits and now, as a 2nd for Dunstone he's a super strong brusher.

Walker is an unexpectedly tenacious brusher, sort of a hybrid between Kaitlyn Lawes (size) and Jo Courtney (power)

At this point I think only Einarson/Gushue, Jones/Laing, Peterman/Gallant are equipped to take them on.

I suspect your Canadian Mixed D final will feature:
Walker vs. Einarson, even though Brad Gushue seems to be a broken man after bowing out of the Brier and Einarson seems to be using this event to prep for worlds after coming off her incredible squashing of Rachel Homan in 2 straight Scotty finals.

I don't know. Mixed doubles is very hard to call. I dont think there's a favorite. On paper you might say einarson/gushue or sweeting/Kennedy but you can't outbound the experience teams like walker/muyres , peterman/gallant, martin/griffith and Epping/Weagle have together. Then there's the fact that seemingly whoever John Morris curls with does great. Then the dark horse like sahaidak/lott. Also look out for st.georges/asselin and birchard/Schneider if they can somehow squeak in. oh and let's not forget jones/laing who are quietly storming through this field so far.

Its very hard to call and no one really stands out as favorite to me.v8f 8 had to pick a winner right now, just based on all I've seen this week itd be jones/laing

03-23-21 11:16AM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I don't think you can necessarily count Nancy Martin out either, particularly if they can beat Walker/Muyres later today, which would win her the pool. I mean, they're the last runners up at this thing, and they had to beat Jones/Laing and Shannon Birchard last time to get that far.

That better be the flipping 4:30 game this afternoon.

03-23-21 02:25PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Thanks for the quick answer. They prolly promoted this change during their final draw yesterday but I wasn't watching. Should have run a chiron across the screen with notification this a.m. so stoops like me didn't stay for 10 minutes thinking the broadcast was late or had technical issues.

As far as predictions I've laid mine down - Jennifer JJ chose her angle this week, starting like a house on fire. Sometimes she plays the draw, sometimes she goes all out (like the 2013 Olympics). Just don't know if JJ can sustain or make the required pool shots at the end of the day like she used to do with her eyes closed and one hand tied around her back.

Felt sorry for Kaitlyn & The Kid going down again this a.m. I wonder if Kaitlyn will still be able to re-unite with Superstar Morris for the Olympic Trials or Lang & Stoughton will saddle her up with another relative?

Shut up with the Kaitlyn rambling.