Robertson 6th
Haynes  Watch Live Curling!
Neumann 6th
Hejna  Watch Live Curling!
Binish 6th
McLaughlin  Watch Live Curling!
Rose 5th
Lee  Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Changes - Early Discussion

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 34 of 35 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-23-22 05:57PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ricorock
Tracy is supposed to be skipping but the rest of the team is eating her alive. I feel sorry for her.

Give it time.

If you watch the earliest Team Einarson games when those four skips first came together, you'd be surprised that the players eventually found their roles and gelled into one of the most formidable women's team ever assembled.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-23-22 09:27PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

All teams go through growing pains and ups and downs esp in their first year. McEwen's team and maybe Epping's is another example of that.

09-25-22 11:42AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

So, enlighten me please.
Geoff Walker lives in Alberta, born in Alberta.
E.J. Harnden lives in Ontario, born in Ontario.
Nichols and Gushue, both live and born in NFLD.

Have they chosen not to go to the Brier, or have the rules been changed to accommodate them??

09-25-22 01:36PM
scottyjames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scottyjames Find more posts by scottyjames Add scottyjames to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottyjames
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by guido
So, enlighten me please.
Geoff Walker lives in Alberta, born in Alberta.
E.J. Harnden lives in Ontario, born in Ontario.
Nichols and Gushue, both live and born in NFLD.

Have they chosen not to go to the Brier, or have the rules been changed to accommodate them??

My understanding is that Geoff and Laura Walker have moved to Newfoundland. I remember hearing this when Gushue was being asked a million times about this fact when the team was first announced.

09-25-22 05:58PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
All teams go through growing pains and ups and downs esp in their first year. McEwen's team and maybe Epping's is another example of that.

But Epping is always changing personnel. He begins to gel and then bam, another change, another 3 years of getting "used to each other".

09-25-22 06:04PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by scottyjames
My understanding is that Geoff and Laura Walker have moved to Newfoundland.

That's not 100% accurate.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...rules-1.6451571
"In a text message, Gushue told The Canadian Press that Walker would need to rent an apartment in the province, have a health card, driver's licence and (curling) club membership."

Walker will acquire NL residency per the rules. That's not exactly the same as saying that Walker will move to NL.

Per Curling Canada's own residency rules, a Canadian curler born in Manitoba can move to Detroit, MI, USA to acquire ON residency.

09-26-22 06:45AM
bpm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bpm Click here to Send bpm a Private Message Find more posts by bpm Add bpm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpm
Harvey Hacksmasher

Canada remains the only country with internal geographical restrictions on it's National Championships. Teams continue to form around the rules dictating this particular competition.

Consequently, Canada continues to slip down and fall off the podium at international events. We continue to boast about our incredible depth, but we are making so little of it compared to our peers, while hanging on to a time when depth alone was enough to overcome what we should be realizing were poor systems to begin with.

In the early 2000s, "professional" teams broke away from the CCA in order to establish the WCT. Personally, I think they were on to something there. And the Brier and Scotties during those years were absolutely phenomenal events, well attended, and allowing a whole slew of "amateur" teams a chance at a big event.

Wouldn't it have been something if they kept down that path instead of mashing everything together again?

All that was left to do was to find a way to separate the national championship from the Brier/Scotties. But all sides got greedy and wanted the best of all worlds.

20 years later, we're left with a disjointed Brier/Scotties dominated by the pros, anyways, and full of silly wildcards and far flung territories only able to field teams due to fly-in players. And regionally, in those provinces/territories whose integrity we've tried to hard to ensure, participation is absolutely plummeting, to the point there are barely any non-professional teams left to protect.

And our national representatives are performing more poorly than ever.

I think it's time to [1] create a separation between pros and amateurs by forcing teams to declare (and even qualify for/be relegated from) for the WCT (and limit how many WCT events the non-pros can play), [2] create a lower level Canadian Curling Tour, [3] restore the Brier/Scotties to amateur only status, and [4] make the Canada Cup the national championship, and invite the top four teams from the Brier/Scotties of the previous year.

It just might restore/increase participation at the lower ranks of competitive curling, knowing they can actually make it to a Brier/Scotties again, and still ultimately have a path to a national championship. It fixes the timing issues around declaring a national champion and sending them immediately to get run over by a Worlds. It allows the CCA to keep control of the national program, and even make the Canada Cup into a bigger event on par with the Brier/Scotties, so that maybe they'll have two sponsor-rich occasions per year per gender instead of just one.

It solves so many problems. But I'm almost certain it won't happen. Because oh no things are just fine in this in between the sport lives in. We'll keep lying to ourselves while we slide down the slippery slope, dare anyone threaten the ever-changing but oh so traditional Brier/Scotties format.

Last edited by bpm on 09-26-22 at 06:51AM

09-26-22 11:12AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

One of the best articulated and intelligent posts on here in years. Well said.

One problem. It all comes down to the money, money, money. No chance Curling Canada will chance losing money on their 2 big cash cows being The Brier and the Scotties. Without the big name pro teams less butts in the arenas and much less casual viewers for tv. Less viewers equals less sponsorship money. Less money equals MAYBE less jobs for curling Canada. Hence they want their jobs so no change coming any time soon.

09-26-22 11:41AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

That's not 100% accurate.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...rules-1.6451571
"In a text message, Gushue told The Canadian Press that Walker would need to rent an apartment in the province, have a health card, driver's licence and (curling) club membership."

Walker will acquire NL residency per the rules. That's not exactly the same as saying that Walker will move to NL.

In addition to providing the above documentation, an individual must spend the majority of their non-compete time in the province / territory in which they are claiming to be a bona fide resident

Pretty sure this won’t be happening.

09-26-22 02:08PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

How do you get a health card in a province if you aren't a resident?

09-26-22 04:55PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
the majority of their non-compete time

Has this ever been defined for Canadian curlers?

If you're eliminated from the tournament, but you stayed a few extra days to watch the final, do those extra days count as compete time?

If you're travelling all over the globes between events, does all that off-ice time count as compete time?

If you play only 1 game that day, can you count the whole day as compete time?

If you play only 1 spiel that week, can you count the whole week as compete time?

If you play in numerous events all year, can you count the whole year as compete time?

09-26-22 06:27PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:

In addition to providing the above documentation, an individual must spend the majority of their non-compete time in the province / territory in which they are claiming to be a bona fide resident

Pretty sure this won’t be happening.

I would have to respectfully disagree. From what I understand the Walkers will spend a significant amount of time in St John's but that is just my opinion.

09-26-22 06:34PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
One of the best articulated and intelligent posts on here in years. Well said.

One problem. It all comes down to the money, money, money. No chance Curling Canada will chance losing money on their 2 big cash cows being The Brier and the Scotties. Without the big name pro teams less butts in the arenas and much less casual viewers for tv. Less viewers equals less sponsorship money. Less money equals MAYBE less jobs for curling Canada. Hence they want their jobs so no change coming any time soon.

I agree with IN Off and the above post by BPM was well presented. However, if anyone thinks TSN or any national broadcaster will want the rights to the Brier or Scotties without the top 7 or 8 teams they would be mistaken. I'm sure some on this site would be content to watch but not nearly enough to get any major sponsors.

09-27-22 12:11AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by alex
How do you get a health card in a province if you aren't a resident?

I'm not Canadian, but I did find this: https://moving2canada.com/mcp-newfo...care-newcomers/

"Newfoundland and Labrador does not specify a number of days or months per year that the individual must be present in order for this province to be considered their primary residence. However, they may be asked to show proof of their intention to remain, using documentation like a lease or house title."

The lease requirement is probably why Gushue said that Walker will rent an apartment, but he doesn't have to actually uproot his whole family and move across continent to get a health card.

I don't know how compete time is defined, but if he meets the requirement that he's a full time curler that compete all year long non-stop, then he satisfies the rule as far as I can tell.

Last edited by curlingclips on 09-27-22 at 12:23AM

09-27-22 05:07AM
bpm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bpm Click here to Send bpm a Private Message Find more posts by bpm Add bpm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpm
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy

I agree with IN Off and the above post by BPM was well presented. However, if anyone thinks TSN or any national broadcaster will want the rights to the Brier or Scotties without the top 7 or 8 teams they would be mistaken. I'm sure some on this site would be content to watch but not nearly enough to get any major sponsors.

I agree there would be some drop in interest, and that money is the big driver.

But optimistically, I really do believe:

- based on the boycotted Briers in the early 2000s, where the "Original 18" didn't attend, the event can go on very successfully without the biggest names (Nokia stayed on as head sponsor throughout, only leaving the year after the pros came back, and I don't recall the TV commercials being any less annoying)
- what you do inevitably lose at the Brier/Scotties can be made up for at the Canada Cup, which becomes that much bigger of an event (I've always felt it's been the National championship in waiting, because it hasn't really had a purpose other than being another event on the calendar).

Anyway this is all just rambling on a web forum by a fan of the sport. I just get frustrated at the steady decline that occurs while we go in circles debating how to tinker with things instead of revamping our system.

And I don't care if Geoff Walker or EJ Harnden live in Newfoundland or not. I really don't. Brad Gushue and Marc Nichols are winning the rock every year for eternity except when they're Team Canada. No one else even travels to the provincials when they're in Labrador. And in a scenario where you do restrict them, you better believe the next best players are angling to join Brad and Mark at front end, rather than try to topple them from the mountain with their own lineup, because it won't happen. Restricting Team Gushue doesn't help the other teams in the province get near the level necessary to compete with them, and it confines Team Gushue to unnecessary mediocrity, depriving the country of the best version of one of it's best teams. Curling Canada is right to avoid making things unnecessarily difficult for one of the best teams in the country, assuming they care about allowing the best teams to form and sending the best team to Worlds. And people who don't like it are just trying to tear down Team Gushue in favour of whatever other team they like better, because of "fairness," whatever the heck that really means in our broken system.

02-12-24 07:50AM
ahsanrashid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ahsanrashid Find more posts by ahsanrashid Add ahsanrashid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ahsanrashid
Knee-Slider

new dress

i am seeing new dress for girls

02-13-24 06:01AM
meerakofficial is offline Click Here to See the Profile for meerakofficial Find more posts by meerakofficial Add meerakofficial to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
meerakofficial
Harvey Hacksmasher

new dress designs

Meerak brings the best new dress designs online in Pakistan. We provide a wide range of the latest dresses online all over Pakistan. Order your Desire dresses online at the best prices.

02-13-24 07:35AM
GulaalOfficial is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GulaalOfficial Find more posts by GulaalOfficial Add GulaalOfficial to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GulaalOfficial
Harvey Hacksmasher

women clothing brands in pakistan

Discover stylish and trendy outfits by exploring women clothing brands in Pakistan. Explore our wide range of well-known brands that offer premium clothing, stylish styles, and superb craftsmanship. Improve your wardrobe by adding the newest styles for women. Check out our inventory right now!

02-14-24 02:04AM
ECS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ECS Find more posts by ECS Add ECS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ECS
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ladies Chappal

ECS brings the best collection of Ladies Chappal online in Pakistan. We offer high-quality chappals online all over Pakistan. Get your favorite women's chappal online at reasonable prices.

02-14-24 02:48AM
jazmin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jazmin Find more posts by jazmin Add jazmin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jazmin
Harvey Hacksmasher

clothing brand

Explore our known clothing brand and find out the latest trends and fashionable clothes. We provide stylish choices for anyone with our wide range of quality clothes. Shop now to enhance your wardrobe with our fine craftsmanship and unique designs.

02-14-24 02:54AM
borjan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for borjan Find more posts by borjan Add borjan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
borjan
Harvey Hacksmasher

men shoes

Shop the latest collection of men shoes at Borjan. Find a wide range of stylish and comfortable shoes for men.

02-14-24 03:24AM
declare is offline Click Here to See the Profile for declare Visit declare's homepage! Find more posts by declare Add declare to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
declare
Harvey Hacksmasher

Pakistani Clothing Brands

Discover the best Pakistani Clothing Brands Declare online. Shop trendy and stylish clothing for women. Experience the core of Pakistani fashion with our high-quality products. Buy now for exclusives and discounts!

02-14-24 05:28AM
chahyay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chahyay Find more posts by chahyay Add chahyay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chahyay
Harvey Hacksmasher

Shop Chahyay for a wide range of the ordinary serum, including the popular Niacinamide serum. Transform your skincare routine with high-quality and affordable beauty essentials.

02-14-24 06:39AM
servisshoes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for servisshoes Find more posts by servisshoes Add servisshoes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
servisshoes
Harvey Hacksmasher

sports wear in pakistan

Discover the nation's most collection of high quality sports wear in pakistan. Our collection provides everything you need to feel comfortable and perform at your best. Shop now for stylish sportswear that combines style and comfort.

02-15-24 02:03AM
nayzaofficial is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nayzaofficial Find more posts by nayzaofficial Add nayzaofficial to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nayzaofficial
Harvey Hacksmasher

gym wear for women

Discover the latest collection of trendy and fashionable gym wear for women at Nayza. Explore our wide range of gym dresses designed to elevate your fitness game.