Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Dominion Club Curling Playdowns - Ontario

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-21-12 06:23PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Never mind,just read the rules. Would have read them sooner if I was in it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 76.71.74.35

10-21-12 06:40PM
curler_bill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler_bill Click here to Send curler_bill a Private Message Visit curler_bill's homepage! Find more posts by curler_bill Add curler_bill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler_bill
Hitting Paint

extras are based on number of entries. I believe it says so on the OCA information for the event.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-21-12 08:29PM
Unregistered

Ladies 7/8
York Laurie Shields is one of the provincial teams.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.250.129.120

10-21-12 10:22PM
CURLING NUTS

Zone 15/16 Men, Chatham Granite - Curtis

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.254.150.29

10-21-12 10:39PM
Unregistered

Any news on Zone 5/6?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.248.156.196

10-22-12 12:11PM
Unregistered

Why do zones 7/8 get an extra spot with 14 teams, and zones 5/6 don't get an extra spot with 15 teams?.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.247.68.78

10-22-12 08:12PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Any news on Zone 5/6?

Van Huyse - Men's

Melaney - Women's

JH

10-22-12 08:16PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Why do zones 7/8 get an extra spot with 14 teams, and zones 5/6 don't get an extra spot with 15 teams?.

Official Reason: The provincial is being hosted by that zone/region and therefore are automatically granted the extra spot.

Real Reason: I'm just easing myself back from retirement, but I conjecture much more arguing of the merit of the official reason if the Prov's were being held in Haliburton.

JH

10-23-12 12:25PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I was chatting with a friend who played in zone 7/8. She told me that she would never play in this again. She felt the schedule was quite gruelling especially for the older club curler. Her team had to play 3 games with the last game at 9pm ending just after 11 pm. Had they won they would have had to be back for 8 am the next morning.

Her front end was exhausted. She didn't think they would be able to make it the next day. Her lead is 75. They won the right to represent their club as they had curled together as a team all year. Yet she observed the following:

Some clubs had a mini-bonspiel with the winner going to the DCCC. These teams were put together and certainly didn't play in a regular league all year. Here is what rule #2 says:

. Each club will declare a mens team and womens team of 4 players that played together regularly, in a sanctioned club league in the most recent season, excluding major/super leagues, to represent the club as the mens and womens club champions.

Some clubs certainly don't follow rule #2.

She noticed that some teams were regular players on the cashspiel circuit - maybe a bit too good for this?

The OCA doesn't do the schedule until about a week before so it can be hard for teams to prepare and I know the clubs need to provide the ice. Some clubs are generous and cancel regular league play so the event can start on a Friday...spreading out the schedule a bit more.

I am concerned for the future of this event as a number of clubs did not send teams to this for various reasons but mainly the schedule for some, getting wiped out by another "club" team and a suspicion of how some club teams were formed.

Last night she told me that no matter what happens this year - she will not play in this event again and if I wanted to - I should get a team of young fit women who can sweep and curl at a high level for 4 - 5 games in a row.

10-23-12 12:39PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
She noticed that some teams were regular players on the cashspiel circuit - maybe a bit too good for this?

Solution - schedule the zone the same weekend as Tankard zones. Make a choice folks.

Last edited by Guest on 10-23-12 at 12:46PM

10-23-12 12:41PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
I was chatting with a friend who played in zone 7/8. She told me that she would never play in this again. She felt the schedule was quite gruelling especially for the older club curler. Her team had to play 3 games with the last game at 9pm ending just after 11 pm. Had they won they would have had to be back for 8 am the next morning.

Her front end was exhausted. She didn't think they would be able to make it the next day. Her lead is 75. They won the right to represent their club as they had curled together as a team all year. Yet she observed the following:

Some clubs had a mini-bonspiel with the winner going to the DCCC. These teams were put together and certainly didn't play in a regular league all year. Here is what rule #2 says:

. Each club will declare a mens team and womens team of 4 players that played together regularly, in a sanctioned club league in the most recent season, excluding major/super leagues, to represent the club as the mens and womens club champions.

Some clubs certainly don't follow rule #2.

The OCA doesn't do the schedule until about a week before so it can be hard for teams to prepare and I know the clubs need to provide the ice. Some clubs are generous and cancel regular league play so the event can start on a Friday...spreading out the schedule a bit more.

I am concerned for the future of this event as a number of clubs did not send teams to this for various reasons but mainly the schedule for some, getting wiped out by another "club" team and a suspicion of how some club teams were formed.

Last night she told me that no matter what happens this year - she will not play in this event again and if I wanted to - I should get a team of young fit women who can sweep and curl at a high level for 4 - 5 games in a row.

On being "too tired" - I can't have any sympathy for that argument, sorry. Nor the fear of losing to a better team. The Dominion is for competitive club curlers - some of whom are going to be quite good.

On violations of "rule 2", it is perhaps your friend who read into the rule "all season long" when no such requirement exists, nor should it exist. While many clubs will probably have an evening men's league the whole year long from which a natural club champion would be declared, the situation with women's play is more variable. In some places the "day ladies" is packed, and there is perhaps a recreational evening section, but all told there might be 15-20 half decent female players interested in the Dominion. They aren't going to have a league with four teams playing each other over and over again for eight months.

Then look at the smaller clubs whose competitive play may have to be an open team format, due to the numbers of men and women being insufficient to have both.

In those cases I think it's entirely reasonable to have a shorter tournament for the purpose of sending teams to the Dominion.

10-24-12 01:22PM
rock_star is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rock_star Click here to Send rock_star a Private Message Find more posts by rock_star Add rock_star to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rock_star
Swing Artist

quote:

In order to win a national championship, you are probably going to need to be able to sweep for 4 or 5 games.

10-24-12 04:19PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I think there are clubs that have very competitive teams and approach this competition like a Scotties or Brier playdown. Other clubs may not have that.

With the game intesity increasing, the tight schedule - will this competition exclude the older curler, the club curler?

Not every Ontario club entered teams in this...actually I think entries were down a bit. Why are clubs not sending teams? Perhaps Dominion and the CCA need to review the competition (and after 4 years - it is a good time) and see if any improvements can be made?

I for one would like to see this competition grow and perhaps even includ a mixed division! I guess in the meantime I'd better round up some young juniors to curl with...

10-24-12 07:58PM
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

This thread reminds me of the famous "Tastes Great-Less Filling" debates! On the one hand, I can't believe that when this event was conceived they had Balsdon in mind winning it. (NOT intended to be a dig at Balsdon or any other elite provincial curler that plays in it, just an honest comment). He and others do not come to mind when I think of a provincial "club" championship. That being said, as Jake Higgs mentioned earlier in the thread, they play fair and square with other curlers at the club level and should (often sacrificing other big events to do so)be able to play with them if they win their respective club championship. It seems that this aspect of the debate has reached a stalemate.

In the end, I feel that while it is billed as a "club" competition, it still is none the less a "competitive" competition. I know personally (and am one myself!) lots of competitive curlers whose provincial competitions are a rarity if at all, who are/were licking their chops at winning their club and playing in this event. They have no purple hearts or are able to say they've been to Tankards, but show no less competitive fire than those who are at the elite events every year! If people are complaining about draws, number of games, etc then they should realize that this event isn't for them, step aside and hand the reigns over to another team willing to compete.

I really think the event needs about six more years before it has any tweaking to it. That will give it real time to observe any trends that might be detrimental to competitive numbers and the Dominion can address them then. For now, I think the event is as good as it can be...which IMHO is pretty damn good!

JH

10-24-12 09:00PM
Second is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Second Click here to Send Second a Private Message Find more posts by Second Add Second to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Second
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by J-Ho

In the end, I feel that while it is billed as a "club" competition, it still is none the less a "competitive" competition. I know personally (and am one myself!) lots of competitive curlers whose provincial competitions are a rarity if at all, who are/were licking their chops at winning their club and playing in this event. They have no purple hearts or are able to say they've been to Tankards, but show no less competitive fire than those who are at the elite events every year! If people are complaining about draws, number of games, etc then they should realize that this event isn't for them, step aside and hand the reigns over to another team willing to compete.

I couldn't agree with this more. I would classify myself as a competative club curler and qualifing for a Provincial Tankard is pie in the sky for me. Coming from a club that currently has 40 Men's Teams, I have not won a Division (we have 4) but I do have a banner, my goal now is to win the Club Championship to qualify for this event. If I was to ever make the Nationals that would be my Brier.

Having played 32 ends in one day (front end) and not gotten past Saturday in an OCA event, I have no problem with how the event is currently set up.

10-26-12 12:17PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I use these vitamin supplements recommended by Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong. I can curl for days at a time with little or no side effects.

10-28-12 03:21PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Congratulations to the Jordan Keon team for winning...they can do it without Balsdon

Women are 5pm...looks like Cochrane won't have a chance to repeat...

10-31-12 09:25AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
This comes up every year and is a dumb argument.

Club curler does NOT mean bad curler! Club Curler is someone who plays league regularly with his or her team. Nothing to do with skill!

The "names" you see in The Dominion are the ones you should give EXTRA respect to since they support the club infrastructure and play with buddies to try and integrate them into the game. Offering them the experience of playing at a competitive level.

Kind of a stupid statement when you think about it......If they were not playing in a club do you really think they would be sharp enough to play in major spiels???

10-31-12 09:51AM
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288
Kind of a stupid statement when you think about it......If they were not playing in a club do you really think they would be sharp enough to play in major spiels???

Some teams do join a club merely for a playdown entry and practice ice, not playing in any club leagues.

11-24-12 04:52PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Congratulations to Caroline Deans of Quinte for winning the women's side. And Alberta for winning the men's.