Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Curling Canada Aims To Hold Series Of Events In Hub City

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-12-21 03:44PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Jamie Koe will not attend the Brier due to possible suspensions.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...id-19-1.5870086

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-12-21 08:14PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Good for them. The requirements of the organization was not well thought through.

01-13-21 01:28PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

14 prov and terr reps team Canada and 3 wildcards for the brier and scotties.

01-13-21 02:08PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Honestly, at this point cc is annoying me so much I doubt I'll even watch. Poor decision making all around

01-13-21 02:16PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Honestly, at this point cc is annoying me so much I doubt I'll even watch. Poor decision making all around

I agree but I will end up watching probably.

01-13-21 03:32PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

I guess that’s it Mike McEwen. Oh, and Dunstone, you’re done also.

Last edited by guido on 01-13-21 at 03:41PM

01-13-21 03:40PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Wild card article

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...anada-1.5871684

01-13-21 08:38PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Based on that article - logic tells me that Robyn SIlvernagle will attempt to finagle her way into the Scotties, loading in Chelsea Carey as her import 3rd - and somehow getting Kurl Kanada to turn a blind eye to the rules cuz Robyn is a known glamour curler!

s

Yep, those fake eyelashes sure are glamourous, NOT.

01-15-21 01:59PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Can't wait for Wildcard #2 vs Wildcard #3 game. Why not just let all the pro teams in and assign them provinces and keep out the riffraff. Using covid as an excuse to change things up is a joke. The CC explanation that it's because of covid and the upcoming olympic trials is a joke. The CC is a joke and now the Brier and Scotties are a joke slam.

01-15-21 02:39PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I mean, let's be honest here. Common sense would dictate that you don't run a team sport during a pandemic. So vreallyvthis shouldn't be happening. Hockey, basketball, football..n9ne of that should be happening right now. But common sense isn't in play here.they don't give a **** about athlete safety , they want to make some money. And, let's be honest the athletes, if asked would want to play. They don't want to follow the rules though. We all know they think they should be exempt. Athletes as a general group are some of the most spoiled people on the planet

01-15-21 03:51PM
tapfreeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tapfreeze Find more posts by tapfreeze Add tapfreeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tapfreeze
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
I mean, let's be honest here. Common sense would dictate that you don't run a team sport during a pandemic. So vreallyvthis shouldn't be happening. Hockey, basketball, football..n9ne of that should be happening right now. But common sense isn't in play here.they don't give a **** about athlete safety , they want to make some money. And, let's be honest the athletes, if asked would want to play. They don't want to follow the rules though. We all know they think they should be exempt. Athletes as a general group are some of the most spoiled people on the planet

To be honest this is a disrespectful reply. Lumping in curling athletes as a spoiled group with comparisons to professional million dollar making athletes is ludicrous! I'm sorry, but you don't know these people and making a call like that is unwarranted.

If the bubble can be run safely, which I strongly believe it can, then do it. Governments (federal & provincial level) have approved it. It's not a money-making venture... it is a sport preservation move. If you are a curling fan and care about the future of our sport then I can't see reasons strong enough that get in the way of supporting these events. I care about them and the health of all the people involved. I trust they are going above and beyond with measures for everyone's safety.

As per the extra teams being included I think it's commendable what Curling Canada is doing. They are finding a way to identify worthy teams that did not have the opportunity to compete, but that will add legitimacy to a Canadian championship. What is wrong with that given the unprecedented and inconsistent qualifying we find ourselves in across all provinces and territories?

While satisfying everyone is impossible, this is a great move imo that curling is making for their 2021 championships. A high level of fairness and consideration for who will be there, and still in keeping with representation across our country intact. Get ready for Brier and Scotties fields like never seen before. What an opportunity!

Last edited by tapfreeze on 01-15-21 at 03:54PM

01-15-21 06:41PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

So, 18 + 18. (two pools of 9 for each Scotties and Brier).
What are the dates of the bubbly events and do we almost know who is in, yet, and who is in which pool? Playoff format? What is in limbo and what isn't? Asking for a friend.

Scotties: Feb 19-28
Einarson, Brown, Jones, Burns, Eddy, Homan, WC1, WC2, WC3, AB, NT, PEI, SK, Yukon, NB, NS, NL, QC - So, no firm list yet. Time is getting pretty tight to get this lineup in place. Sheesh.
Brier: Mar 5-14
Gushue, Gunnlaughson, Jacobs Mackey, Epping, Fournier, Mikkelsen, WC1 WC2, WC3, SK NT, NS, PEI, NB, NL, AB, BC

Covid permitting.

Last edited by nelski on 01-15-21 at 07:42PM

01-15-21 08:16PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by tapfreeze

To be honest this is a disrespectful reply. Lumping in curling athletes as a spoiled group with comparisons to professional million dollar making athletes is ludicrous! I'm sorry, but you don't know these people and making a call like that is unwarranted.

If the bubble can be run safely, which I strongly believe it can, then do it. Governments (federal & provincial level) have approved it. It's not a money-making venture... it is a sport preservation move. If you are a curling fan and care about the future of our sport then I can't see reasons strong enough that get in the way of supporting these events. I care about them and the health of all the people involved. I trust they are going above and beyond with measures for everyone's safety.

As per the extra teams being included I think it's commendable what Curling Canada is doing. They are finding a way to identify worthy teams that did not have the opportunity to compete, but that will add legitimacy to a Canadian championship. What is wrong with that given the unprecedented and inconsistent qualifying we find ourselves in across all provinces and territories?

While satisfying everyone is impossible, this is a great move imo that curling is making for their 2021 championships. A high level of fairness and consideration for who will be there, and still in keeping with representation across our country intact. Get ready for Brier and Scotties fields like never seen before. What an opportunity!

you are right. I will concede i shouldnt't have grouped them in with pro athletes and I do apologize.. However I will not back down in the belief that this just shouldnt be happening right now and especially not in Calgary

01-15-21 08:34PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Need a "like" button. I agree. IF and only IF you hold these events, do the quarantine prior and then hold the events where there are single digits per day of covid. Atlantic bubble excluding NB having a rough go lately, would be much better suited than the AB hot spot. Use Halifax as an example. 4 hotels to choose from all connected to the arena by pedways. Minimal outside contact and minimal local infection.

IMHO I think they should just shut er down for the year. Start fresh in the fall......hopefully.

01-16-21 09:52AM
tapfreeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tapfreeze Find more posts by tapfreeze Add tapfreeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tapfreeze
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

you are right. I will concede i shouldnt't have grouped them in with pro athletes and I do apologize.. However I will not back down in the belief that this just shouldnt be happening right now and especially not in Calgary

Fair enough.

Two sides to every coin. I’m not sure what this one lands on at the end of the day. For all of the sports deciding to make a go (NHL, etc., etc.) and that are running losses, is it worth it? It’s not a straight line to the finish or as simple a choice as many would think. Suppose we’ll get a chance to evaluate after the fact.

01-16-21 09:52PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Most of the curlers who compete in our national men's and womens championships are aged 22-45 (95% or more)

That group has one of the highest survival rates in the Covid-19 world. Also an age group thats fairly low in picking up the virus in the first place.

So if the curlers want to compete and sign waivers against the risk - SO BE IT.

Its their lives, their careers. CC just doing something to stop the bleeding and cash the biggest cheques (Bell Canada/CTV/TSN)

Well it sure is refreshing to read a well thought out and balanced post on this subject. Glad to see I am not the only one with similar thoughts.

01-18-21 03:37PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Walker and Bottcher for AB.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...id-19-1.5877467

01-18-21 05:38PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Happy to see Sherry Anderson back in for Sask. Would like to see Zacharias in as well.

01-18-21 05:53PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Happy to see Sherry Anderson back in for Sask. Would like to see Zacharias in as well.

Your wish is my command. 4 Manitoba women's teams in the Scotties:
Einarson - Canada
Jones - Manitoba
Fleury - Wild Card
Zacharias - Wild Card

01-18-21 07:02PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Your wish is my command. 4 Manitoba women's teams in the Scotties:
Einarson - Canada
Jones - Manitoba
Fleury - Wild Card
Zacharias - Wild Card

That's provided Suzanne Birt wins PEI. If she loses then she would get the 3rd wild card spot.

01-18-21 07:09PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2 That's provided Suzanne Birt wins PEI. If she loses then she would get the 3rd wild card spot.
I pasted from a Devin Heroux tweet - Here is his latest. Crawford: New Brunswick has just cancelled their women’s provincials as cases their rise.

First offer goes to last year’s winner: Andrea Crawford — remember when she scored SEVEN last year?

01-19-21 02:00PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
McCarville will always have my respect as the best defensive skip I've ever seen in the women's game - slightly better than Connie Laliberte, just without Laliberte's offensive surges.

The record shows clearly that the best defensive skip of all time is Coleen Jones. But as McCarville has found out, playing a defensively simple game and waiting for a miss like Jones and Laliberte did doesn't cut it at the elite level anymore.

01-19-21 02:17PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I see team Harty posted that they were disappointed that Alberta curling association chose not to take the opportunity to have mens teams at the brier. I was annoyed initially, like " why do you think they would or should have done that". However I kind of get their frustration. This has been a hard year for everyone. They are a young team on the rise and maybe thought they had a legit chance at a breakthrough in provincial. They are facing the same reality all young teams, all teams are.

But I feel.more for younger teams because this makes me stop and think. How many young teams not only in Canada but globally will this destroy. Losing a year in your development that's hard. And for juniors who would have just been transitioning this year its worse. You just wonder how many this will derail permanently and how will it set others back.

01-19-21 02:20PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

The record shows clearly that the best defensive skip of all time is Coleen Jones. But as McCarville has found out, playing a defensively simple game and waiting for a miss like Jones and Laliberte did doesn't cut it at the elite level anymore.

In dont think it's fair to say Krista just waits for misses. Or that ths how defensive players are. They are more cautious but, really aren't all curlers just waiting for misses?. Even the more aggressive ones. They just have a different way of going about it

Krista can play aggressive too. When she wants. You font get to a scotties final and come close to winning without being able to put rocks in play

01-19-21 03:37PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Weagle in for the pregnant McEwen.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...jones-1.5879379