Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-12-21 08:12AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

The isolation must be taking a toll. Instead of letting off steam in the patch, they are stuck watching Netflix with a beer in their hotel room.

Not exactly the "Netflix and chill" that most strive for.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-12-21 08:13AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

The old guy still has it. No matter what happens in the championship round Middaughs comeback performance was one for the ages. He showed Gunner that you can't do it all by being a one trick pony.

03-12-21 10:48AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Down in the states we don't get much curling that isn't either the Brier/Scotties on ESPN3's TSN Feed or International events like world championships or Olympics...

So that being said, I obviously haven't seen much of team Glenn Howard in the past 5 years or so. There was the one game Wild Card play in that they lost last year to McEwen, and that's it.

Aside from the face that Wayne Middaugh's brain is legendary - the most shocking thing for me about this team is how good the front three are. Like, able to go toe-to-toe with the best in the world good from what I'm seeing. March and Mathers are huge with the broom and have surprisingly delicate and accurate touch... and Scott Howard has been a terrific third.

In Nova Scotia, you saw how hard it was for Fleming and McDonald to get on the same page. Well, S. Howard and Middaugh aren't on the same page either, with Howard kind of offering foolishly aggressive options - but it's working, because it's forcing Middaugh to think about shots that wouldn't have been possible 5-10 years ago because of the accuracy, power, and carving ability of March and Mathers brushing.

I can't get enough of watching them. I'm annoyed right now when they're not the feature,

03-12-21 12:12PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

There is one team that is worried more than the rest about Middaugh’s reemergence. That is Epping. If Middaugh keeps the interest, it may be a few years until Jon wins Ontario again.
Oh, Muzzle loader, you are still the laughing stick of many many curling lounges across Canada. Carry on. LOL

03-12-21 12:27PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
Down in the states we don't get much curling that isn't either the Brier/Scotties on ESPN3's TSN Feed or International events like world championships or Olympics...

So that being said, I obviously haven't seen much of team Glenn Howard in the past 5 years or so. There was the one game Wild Card play in that they lost last year to McEwen, and that's it.

Aside from the face that Wayne Middaugh's brain is legendary - the most shocking thing for me about this team is how good the front three are. Like, able to go toe-to-toe with the best in the world good from what I'm seeing. March and Mathers are huge with the broom and have surprisingly delicate and accurate touch... and Scott Howard has been a terrific third.

In Nova Scotia, you saw how hard it was for Fleming and McDonald to get on the same page. Well, S. Howard and Middaugh aren't on the same page either, with Howard kind of offering foolishly aggressive options - but it's working, because it's forcing Middaugh to think about shots that wouldn't have been possible 5-10 years ago because of the accuracy, power, and carving ability of March and Mathers brushing.

I can't get enough of watching them. I'm annoyed right now when they're not the feature,

I yeah, Tim march is a beast brushing. Strong as a bull and great technique. That's why I was surprised when John Epping let him go. In my opinion his strongest front end he ever had was when he had march and Jansen with him.

03-12-21 01:00PM
lixit74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lixit74 Click here to Send lixit74 a Private Message Find more posts by lixit74 Add lixit74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lixit74
Harvey Hacksmasher

Curling Canada has the games posted:

Man vs Ont
WC2 (Koe) vs Albt
WC3 (Howard) vs Sask
Nont vs NFLD

03-12-21 01:01PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Funny that we cant see the draw

We see draw 19
Lineup
For 2:30

Another draw at 7:30

Who plays who on it ?

--------
----------
--------

---------
------
----------
Where is this

You can find all this info on curling.ca
Go to scores
Standings/draw
Click on individual teams

03-12-21 01:16PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Hoping either someone new wins it this year or someone 2ho hasn't won in a long time. In order of preference I'd rank them like this:

Epping
Jacobs
Middaugh/Howard
Dunstone
Bottcher
Koe
Gushue
Gunnlaugson

Epping has been my favorite for a while in Canada so I'd love to see him win but I just don't think he's consistent enough to pull it off

Jacobs hasn't won in 8 years so it'd be nice to see him win again. I still would consider him a fresh face because its been so long

Miaddaugh winning would just be a fantastic story

Those are the 3 I'm most hoping for

Dunstone and or bottcher id be okay with. Neither has won before and its never a bad thing to see young blood step up.

I'm tired of seeing either koe or gushue win. I'm ready for someone else but I'd still take them any day over gunnlaugson

03-12-21 01:16PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

I think there's a decent chance the final 3 is from the same pool, Koe, Gushue and Epping.
The rule should be clear, you damage the ice by banging a broom you get ejected and your team plays with 3.
March is a great sweeper but he should worry more about his lousy shooting and not trying to call the game too. He comes down and puts in his 2 cents every time and he's lucky Wayne has mellowed, in the old days he woulda laughed him outta the house instead of just saying that's not there. Howard has really improved over the last few years.
Casey is a front end player. Wozniak is much better now than he was before with McEwen, that front end is strong if I'm Gunner I bring Gauthier in at 3rd.

03-12-21 02:35PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

The brier starts now. Woohoo.

03-12-21 03:10PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

So - I'm curious - I only see Gunnlaugson when he's in the Brier - what is people's issue with him?

I mean, I know he can throw it fast, and I guess he seems like a one trick pony, but I guess I don't understand why he's disliked? He doesn't seem like a bad guy, although coming from the states, seeing that he's a curler, and how he looks and sounds - he's like the most stereotypically Canadian guy I've ever seen. If he left the ice, put on a toque and grabbed a Molson, he couldn't seem more Canadian.

03-12-21 03:59PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
So - I'm curious - I only see Gunnlaugson when he's in the Brier - what is people's issue with him?

I mean, I know he can throw it fast, and I guess he seems like a one trick pony, but I guess I don't understand why he's disliked? He doesn't seem like a bad guy, although coming from the states, seeing that he's a curler, and how he looks and sounds - he's like the most stereotypically Canadian guy I've ever seen. If he left the ice, put on a toque and grabbed a Molson, he couldn't seem more Canadian.

Do people not like him???

03-12-21 04:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

I just dont like him because , as others have said he's one dimensional. the guy just can not draw. he can make the simple, hit the paint ones but 9 times out of 10 if you force him to draw he will miss. and its not like he's like. most of the time he misses either wide or heavy or both. He will do whatever he can not to play a draw. everyone has a preference but usually at some point players will work on their weaknesses. he hasnt and i guess thats his choice but its no fun to watch someone who's so adverse to throwing anything other than a hit. he's one of those guys who would be happy to run up and down the sheet trading hits for 9 ends if you;'d let him and thats no fun for me to watch.

He seems like a nice guy . i have nothing against him personally..

Last edited by misty1 on 03-12-21 at 04:03PM

03-12-21 04:06PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Gotcha. No biggie, just curious.

I don't know if lots of people don't like him or not - I only ever talk curling on this forum, so the opinion of one person I might have read here carries excessive weight.

The huge weight draws would be a ton of fun if they would lob 7 stones in play before the screaming takeout.

03-12-21 04:56PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

What's not to like about the Gunner? He's passionate about the game, wears his heart on his sleeve and is always positive out there.

03-12-21 05:16PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

again, its not the person its the one dimensional game.

really would have wanted epping to win this but demonstrated today why i doubt he ever will. just not consistant enough. a loss to gunnlaugson means now he has tp run the table. dont see him knocking off middaugh, bottcher and jacobs consecutively. he may even end up 6-6

03-12-21 05:21PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

If 3 teams tie for 3rd is it true that there will only be 1 tiebreaker with 1 team being eliminated on draw to the button distance? If it is, that would be wrong.

03-12-21 05:42PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
If 3 teams tie for 3rd is it true that there will only be 1 tiebreaker with 1 team being eliminated on draw to the button distance? If it is, that would be wrong.
I don’t know how they’d find time to do it any other way

03-12-21 05:45PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

2 Alberta teams in the top 3. And arguably the best in Alberta not there.

03-12-21 05:47PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
I don’t know how they’d find time to do it any other way

You have Sat draws in AM and afternoon and leave Sat night open for #1 tiebreaker and Sun morn for #2.

03-12-21 05:48PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by guido

wait, what?.

03-12-21 06:04PM
JDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JDR Find more posts by JDR Add JDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JDR
Harvey Hacksmasher

Had to chime in on "the Gunner"

I'm from "the states" also. My first introduction to Jason was listening to him commentate on live streams on YouTube for little old US curling events in Minnesota and Wisconsin (forget which particular events).

With the "budget" for these live streams, I'm fairly certain he donated his time in exchange for a few beers and a place to sleep and throw stones.

He was extremely knowledgeable and could break down complex points of the game, and offer alternate shots and strategies for each shot, so that a newbie like me could start to grasp what was happening on the ice.

I decided I had to check this guy out, so I watched some of his clips and spiels on. YouTube I was impressed by his power, but also by his in game analyses when he was mic'ed. I think he has all the shots and strategy it's that he's just not giving up that last iota of doubt before committing to a big shot, but I think he'll get there.

Anyway, he has a pretty quick wit as well and has a fun, positive personality which makes me smile if not laugh often. Love watching his games ... "Beauty" ... gotta watch Strange Brew tonight

BTW, another great Canadian Curler also donating their time to pro bono commentating (also really great analysis) for US Curling events, and supporting charity spiels in the states is none other than Chelsea Carey, pretty awesome ... I ramble and digress ...

03-12-21 08:00PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido

LOL. Koe is top 3 in the world w Edin and Gushue but he's not the best in Alberta????

03-12-21 08:37PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

LOL. Koe is top 3 in the world w Edin and Gushue but he's not the best in Alberta????

There were 2 tournaments this year that Koe and Botcher both lost to the same team. Give them a normal year and watch out.
If Alberta curling would have sent there top team according to points, Howard would not have gotten a wild card. The w.c. Teams would have been Botcher, Koe and McEwen

Last edited by guido on 03-12-21 at 08:40PM

03-12-21 09:05PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

Who is Alberta’s top men’s team, guido?