Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > This Forum Needs Attention ASAP

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-15-23 11:34PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

This Forum Needs Attention ASAP

I think it's safe to say that the people who post in this Discussion Forum are curling fans. I believe it's also safe to say that, as curling fans, we appreciate this Forum.
But it can also be said that this Forum is going downhill. There are fewer posts and fewer people posting every year.
If no action is taken, this Forum will very likely die.
It's time to resurrect it - before it's too late.

One of the reasons that this discussion forum is not nearly as busy as it should be is surely due to the incredible amount of spam messages.
It's incredible how much spam there is here. It would be nice if someone could actually monitor this site, rather than just let it go to hell.

This is, sadly, the only real discussion forum focused on curling. As such, it should be valued, should function better than it is working, and should be busier than it is.
This site (or at least the discussion forum portion) was due for an upgrade several years ago.

phpBB is free, open source Forum software that would work very well for this discussion forum. I am not literate in software, etc., but I am a member of a phpBB for another subject, and it works wonderfully. AND IT'S FREE.
I truly hope that someone around here will seriously look into that before this discussion forum is lost completely as members keep being driven away by the ubiquitous spam and old, out of date format.

(I have absolutely no affiliation with phpBB - I am simply familiar with another discussion forum which uses that format, and it is very, very efficient and very, very good.)

Take a look at phpBB here...

https://www.phpbb.com

and

https://my.kualo.com/knowledgebase/...m-in-phpbb.html

There are also tutorial videos on how to create a phpBB Forum for people who have some degree of knowledge of this stuff.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-15-23 at 11:43PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-16-23 10:54AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Yup. I'll second that.

03-17-23 07:03AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Over 200 views of my post, and only 1 person replying.
Maybe I was wrong when I said that people value this discussion forum and want to keep it alive.

I can't imagine that people are happy with the way that it's functioning (well, I'm sure the people responsible for the spam posts are quite happy). The amount of spam, the old and outdated format, being logged out automatically after about 10 minutes of inactivity...
As we see everywhere on the internet - it is possible to do significantly better than this.

If people don't let it be known that you'd like this discussion forum to improve - that is, to stop the overwhelming amount of spam, and to update to a decent forum format from this obsolete one - if people don't voice their views, then you're basically ready to let this forum die. Because it is definitely dying, and without some sort of intervention, it will die completely.

So, if you don't want this forum to continue to deteriorate, speak up, people...

And if any of you can help with the technical aspects of updating to a better, more up-to-date format, let that be known, as well, and hopefully the ball can get rolling. I can't help with the technical aspects, but I'm willing to help with whatever I'm capable of helping with.

The first step toward change is identifying the need to change, and then evolving.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-17-23 09:51AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Most of those views were from bots, not humans.

03-17-23 02:00PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
Maybe I was wrong when I said that people value this discussion forum and want to keep it alive.

I can't imagine that people are happy with the way that it's functioning (well, I'm sure the people responsible for the spam posts are quite happy). The amount of spam, the old and outdated format, being logged out automatically after about 10 minutes of inactivity...
As we see everywhere on the internet - it is possible to do significantly better than this.

If people don't let it be known that you'd like this discussion forum to improve - that is, to stop the overwhelming amount of spam, and to update to a decent forum format from this obsolete one - if people don't voice their views, then you're basically ready to let this forum die. Because it is definitely dying, and without some sort of intervention, it will die completely.

So, if you don't want this forum to continue to deteriorate, speak up, people...

And if any of you can help with the technical aspects of updating to a better, more up-to-date format, let that be known, as well, and hopefully the ball can get rolling. I can't help with the technical aspects, but I'm willing to help with whatever I'm capable of helping with.

The first step toward change is identifying the need to change, and then evolving.

It's been dying for years now and honestly I don't think making changes will matter. There are maybe 10 regular to semi-regular posters and that's not down that much from 5 years ago when there were 20. Curling doesn't rate much traffic and the people who run the site have given up completely as they can't even be bothered to delete spam. Maybe they like the spam as it adds to the views and posts and they can pretend it's actual traffic when/if they talk to advertisers.

03-17-23 02:39PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Alternatively you could join my curling group which is active and not spam-filled and trolls are removed:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/252763282107627

03-17-23 08:07PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

I like to avoid facebook as much as possible.

I think there is an audience - a participatory audience - for a discussion forum on curling. I believe the 'if you build it, they will come' approach is applicable here.

I am a member of a phpBB-based discussion forum for another sport, and it works very, very well - and without any advertizing at all. One guy set it up with a little help from one or two others, then some of us helped with tweaking it here and there, and it was fully functional within a week. It actually replaced a discussion forum on the same sport that was being shut down. The one it replaced was based on a different platform... and when we learned that the operator was going to shut it down, we (the members) went to work to find - and create - an alternative.

We wanted to avoid facebook/twitter/reddit, etc. platform, because we wanted to maintain the discussion forum context. Someone found the free phpBB, and had enough technical knowledge to set it up (it doesn't require a genius), and that was that.
I'm sure that something very similar could be done here - all it takes is someone with the technical knowledge and the willingness to set it up. Ideally, it would be 'hosted' here on Curling Zone - because Curling Zone is an established 'location'. But if Gerry refuses that, then it could be set up entirely independently, just as we did with the phpBB discussion forum for the other sport that I mentioned.

Realistically, it's either that, or we keep putting up with the status quo, with all of its restrictions and spam, until it simply withers away and dies - and that dying point is getting nearer and nearer...

03-18-23 12:51AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Oh I'm fine with forums too; used to use them all the time before social media crept up. Those where the days!

03-18-23 11:58AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

A simple CAPTCHA interface could be easily added for any new poster to eliminate the spam.

Last edited by johnnysmoke on 03-18-23 at 12:05PM

11-23-23 03:53AM
Nasir Harber is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nasir Harber Find more posts by Nasir Harber Add Nasir Harber to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nasir Harber
Knee-Slider

My friend told me a few weeks ago that he couldn't stop playing a game called Tunnel Rush. I don't play PC games very often, but he made it sound so crazy fun that I had to try it.