Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Blanking curling to death

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-11-16 01:27PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

And in baseball every team's "At Bat" starts with runners on second and third. The pitcher that starts the game finishes the game, thereby ending the need for "Long" and "Short" relievers and shaving millions off the payroll-which of course will be passed on to the fans by less expensive tickets.

The FGZ was created because Pat Ryan won the Brier by a score of 3-2. Guess who's coaching BC? Anyway, teams will always find ways to circumvent new rules (look at the "Tick").

Here's my idea-why not make the Brier an "Amateur Only" event? That way you'll see "Tons" of granite in play, lots of missed shots, few (if any) blank ends and fans will go home happy, right?

You'll also see more teams playing in the provincial qualifying sessions.

You're welcome...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-11-16 01:33PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
Anyway, teams will always find ways to circumvent new rules (look at the "Tick").
So the solution is to do nothing? "We can't fix it, so why bother trying?"

03-11-16 01:52PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Jim bogie good point, except, amateur sport does not get corporate /media support, so we would not see anything.

03-11-16 02:58PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

circumventing

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
teams will always find ways to circumvent new rules (look at the "Tick")

What do you mean by "circumvent"?

In fact, the tick shot RESPECTS the new rule! The new rule says a rock in the FGZ can be moved but not removed. And the tick shot moves that rock but does not remove it. So it's completely legal, and IMO a brilliant play, too.

I've been saying for 20 years that teams should be playing tick shots whenever they want to keep the four-foot open, not just in the last few ends. This is what the rule was intended to allow!

If you wanted to make sure that the four-foot was covered on every end, you would need a rule that prevented rocks in the FGZ from being moved. But since there is no such rule, it makes no sense to accuse anybody of "circumventing" anything.

Last edited by Par on 03-11-16 at 03:09PM

03-11-16 04:08PM
Marco2010 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marco2010 Click here to Send Marco2010 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco2010 Add Marco2010 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

A way to have guards in play is the 2 Guard Rule: both leads put up a guard on the four foot with their first stone. They can make it long or short, down the middle or on the edge of the four. There is strategy and skill involved.

03-11-16 05:20PM
propane_cooker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for propane_cooker Click here to Send propane_cooker a Private Message Find more posts by propane_cooker Add propane_cooker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Brushing

Really bad choice for your argument because, like almost any game ever since the beginning of time, golf does change formats, course layouts and even rules to adapt to the trends of the sport.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...st-the-opposite

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/a...overning-bodies

I'm not against format changes. It's nice to see skins and match play games, just like in golf. I don't think our national championship should be decided by a skins game though. I'm not sure how a link about making belly putters illegal and making courses longer supports your statement about rule changes.

One is equipment regulation, could draw a parallel to broom regulation and desperately needed curling equipment regulation?

The other is about changing the playing surface, but keeping the rules the same. Could you draw a parallel between different golf courses/longer golf courses and different ice conditions at different clubs or events? If you travel around to different curling clubs the ice can vary quite a bit in ice conditions, kind of like golf courses. The only thing is at all these Grand Slams, Scotties and Briers the ice is made to be as close to the same as possible.

I don't have a lot of answers, and I'm not suggesting that poor ice with runs is a good idea. If people want fewer blank ends I think an area that could be addressed is rocks that don't fly out of the house when they are barely touched. I would rather see something else changed rather than rules.

03-11-16 05:42PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Marco2010
A way to have guards in play is the 2 Guard Rule: both leads put up a guard on the four foot with their first stone. They can make it long or short, down the middle or on the edge of the four. There is strategy and skill involved.

Sorry, Marco.

This is a Really Bad Idea, which has no support on these boards except from you. And we've been saying so, but you haven't been listening. You just keep on saying the same thing over and over. But that doesn't make it a better idea.

Nobody wants to be told where to put their rocks.

I am sorry to be so blunt ... but I can't believe I'm the only one who's tired of reading about same bad idea ... over and over and over and over.

03-11-16 05:50PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

I think some common sense things should be considered. You look at golf and when courses were being overwhelmed by better equipment they regulated the equipment that could be used (gap wedges, belly putters. etc.), and in some cases the courses themselves were made tougher. Basically they wanted their sport to remain fair and what people had come to love, but they made the odd change here and there to retain the challenge. I know you can't compare golf to curling, but the desire by both sports to have their product remain entertaining is one and the same.

With curling the blank ends have become a problem when elite teams play and personally I doubt that there is any end in sight. The equipment, the ice, the directional sweeping and the run backs have made the great come-around shots of old in most cases easily eliminated. And for me, the tick shot has guaranteed that the elite team with the hammer will likely win at least 90% of the time, whereas it used to be a pretty consistent 75% of the time. I mentioned in another post that we are even starting to see this new trend of more blanked ends at the elite levels of Junior Curling.

I don't have a ready-made solution. Probably the 5-rock rule will most easily eliminate the number of blanks, but you will end up with a whole slew of shots in the middle of the rings. My initial thought is that you have a rule that you must score after two consecutive blanks or you will automatically lose the hammer. That would force aggression in the end after two blanks and would make rinks less likely to even attempt to go for two blanks in a row. And I would end the tick shot so quickly it would make your head spin. The 10th end of a tied game should be the most exciting end of the game, not a walk in the park for the elite team with the hammer.

03-11-16 06:03PM
Norm12345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Norm12345 Click here to Send Norm12345 a Private Message Find more posts by Norm12345 Add Norm12345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Norm12345
Knee-Slider

I know this might sound stupid or crazy but we have played this before a couple of times in meaningless club games and it does change the game a little bit but also made it really interesting.

We made covering the pin worth 2 points so every last shot was more important and you had to think twice before throwing it threw on a blank. Do you throw it threw, if you miss the pin you only get 1 and if you make it 2. It even made hitting for just 1 into a possibility for 2. Plus there were more chances for steals if you went hard for the roll or it brought 3 points into play more often and when you didn't have hammer you had to defend the pin more then playing the force them to 1.

I realize it is crazy but next time you play a meaningless game in your club give it a go, it is more interesting then you think.

03-11-16 06:58PM
Marco2010 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marco2010 Click here to Send Marco2010 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco2010 Add Marco2010 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Par

Sorry, Marco.

This is a Really Bad Idea, which has no support on these boards except from you. And we've been saying so, but you haven't been listening. You just keep on saying the same thing over and over. But that doesn't make it a better idea.

Nobody wants to be told where to put their rocks.

I am sorry to be so blunt ... but I can't believe I'm the only one who's tired of reading about same bad idea ... over and over and over and over.

Sorry Par. Most curlers where against changing the rules back in the 90's when peeling was the rage. It took time but the Moncton rule proposed by the Howard's become the FGZ. Canada didn't come on board as quickly as the Europeans but we finaly saw the light. We wen't from the 3 rock rule to the 4 rock and now tour players are pushing for the 5 rock rule. Some people hate change and hate new ideas. They don't have arguments just put downs. If you ever have arguments against the 2 guard rule or even better a suggestion on dimishing blank ends please share them with us.

03-11-16 09:05PM
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Marco2010

Sorry Par. Most curlers where against changing the rules back in the 90's when peeling was the rage. It took time but the Moncton rule proposed by the Howard's become the FGZ. Canada didn't come on board as quickly as the Europeans but we finaly saw the light. We wen't from the 3 rock rule to the 4 rock and now tour players are pushing for the 5 rock rule. Some people hate change and hate new ideas. They don't have arguments just put downs. If you ever have arguments against the 2 guard rule or even better a suggestion on dimishing blank ends please share them with us.

I've given you better suggestions already but you ignored them. I'm not wasting any more time on this. Thanks any way.

03-11-16 11:58PM
Peel_it is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peel_it Click here to Send Peel_it a Private Message Find more posts by Peel_it Add Peel_it to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peel_it
Knee-Slider

Just a few thoughts, but I will say that Marco's 2 guards suggestion will never gain traction. Why should a team be told what shot they have to play. Furthermore what kind of penalty would there be for missing? Rhetorical question no need for an answer. Would this suggestion not be as dumb as saying a pitcher in baseball must pitch a fastball on the first pitch and it must be a strike, give me a break.

With regards to all other rules leave them as they are...if a team does not like having the tick shot made against them in the last end to pretty much loose the game the team does have the optin to play better earlier in the game so as not to be that position.

Finally, blank ends are part of the strategy of the game...it's about winning not entertaining those who don't fully understand the game.

03-12-16 08:17AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

I have no issue with the tic shot. Takes skill, and it's a good tool to counter the offense's free guard rocks.

The blank on the other hand, goes counter to the spirit of the(actually any) game; that is, the team deliberately chooses to not score, and is rewarded big-time. Basically they are given a free shot to close out the next end, 16 shots later.
An no doubt, some of these shots are incredibly difficult and precise; double angled runbacks to score nothing.

Wouldn't basketball be special if, instead of going up for a basket, the player gets to chuck the ball into the stands, and is given a free throw at a later time.

03-12-16 09:28AM
Love2Curl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Love2Curl Click here to Send Love2Curl a Private Message Find more posts by Love2Curl Add Love2Curl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Love2Curl
Hitting Paint

This year when Canada wins at worlds with ease, the World Curling Federation will come up with some way to combat that.

Leave the game the way it is. Good teams play at a higher level because well they are good. At the club in league play I don't see to many 20 foot run back doubles being made with ease.

How many games at the brier did you see there were 5 to 6 rocks in play after the seconds rocks, then the thirds make a few triples or doubles and next thing you know its a blank end.

Rules should never penalize good teams. If you want to change rules, have the equipment not make such an impact.

03-12-16 12:51PM
Peel_it is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peel_it Click here to Send Peel_it a Private Message Find more posts by Peel_it Add Peel_it to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peel_it
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by fresca

seeding also needs to go ... this happens in Manitoba playdowns - curious if it happens at Brier or Scots

So let me get this straight...you're not sure if the Brier or Scotties is seeded?? It's a full round robin genius, each team plays everyone.

03-12-16 01:01PM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Peel_it
So let me get this straight...you're not sure if the Brier or Scotties is seeded?? It's a full round robin genius, each team plays everyone.

In all fairness to the original poster you could seed a round robin so the stronger teams play the weaker teams up front.

I do not think this is done in the Brier unless it is done based on last year's final standings.

03-14-16 03:26PM
Buret0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buret0 Click here to Send Buret0 a Private Message Find more posts by Buret0 Add Buret0 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buret0
Knee-Slider

I posted this in response to the format for the Elite 10 competition, but I suppose it makes more sense in here.

This is very close to the format I was proposing for an alternative skins bonspiel.

My version:

Hammer switches each end.
Team who wins draw to the button determines whether they get hammer in the first or last end.
Team with hammer scores 2 points on a deuce or better.
Team without hammer scores one point if team with hammer singles.
No points awarded on a blank.
Team without hammer scores 2 points on a steal.

In ends 7 and 8, scoring changes to:
Team with hammer scores 3 points on a deuce or better.
Team without hammer scores one point if team with hammer singles.
No points awarded on a blank.
Team without hammer scores 3 points on a steal.

It forces players to be aggressive to get their points with hammer and it doesn't allow either team to runaway with the scoring. As both teams have an equal opportunity with and without the hammer, you have be able to pressure both with and without last rock.

The inability to score a ton of points in a single end means that the winner goes to the team who consistently plays well over the entire game, rather than to a team who capitalizes on one strong end and then plays the curling equivalent of the trap for the rest of the game.

Going for the blank would be very risky in this format, because if you get down to your last rock and the blank isn't available, you are going to end up giving up points to the other team.

If you end up in an impossible blank situation, you would probably end up drawing for 1... for the other team (because singles award points to the competitor); however, if you miss the blank, a steal is worth two for your opponent.

I actually considered making the blank worth 1 point for the team with hammer, because right now it seems much easier to score without last rock in this format. If you manage to get a rock under cover on at least one (one miss on a double from the team with hammer and you are there) with another rock in play, it makes the blank a much tougher and more exciting shot than the draw for one.

03-14-16 04:25PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Re: circumventing

quote:
Originally posted by Par

What do you mean by "circumvent"?

In fact, the tick shot RESPECTS the new rule! The new rule says a rock in the FGZ can be moved but not removed. And the tick shot moves that rock but does not remove it. So it's completely legal, and IMO a brilliant play, too..... This is what the rule was intended to allow!

Are you sure of this? I was told that the intent of the moving rocks in the FGZ was never to enable the tick shot. I was told that it was because they felt there was a good chance that a rock would crash into a rock in the FGZ, especially at club level, and they did not want to make resetting the rocks commonplace. Or in other words, they never considered the tick shot, they were only considering the come around crash into the guard.

05-15-22 07:45PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

I couldn't find an appropriate forum for site operation questions, so I chose this thread to bump to ask it, as its original topic interests me, and I wouldn't mind seeing more discussion on it as a byproduct.

Is there any way to see beyond the first page of results in a forum, partcularly this one? I've tried every link and button I can think of, but nothing works. It's sad to think that, once a thread drifts off the first page of results, its contents are forever lost to all but the most ardent of Google searchers.

05-18-22 03:22PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

Unless of course the other team wins the toss/LSD and elects to take the hammer in the even ends, in which case you had the hammer in the 9th and have no chance because you're down 2 without.

Last rock in the last end is too much of an advantage to be given like that.

Personally, I'd prefer to see a rule where in the 9th and 10th ends, the team that is behind automatically gets the hammer. Play with blank rules through the 8th...but that would give the team behind a chance to get back in it.

Come on ..you really don’t mean that🙃.you strive to get an advantage thru the whole game and because you succeeded your gonna give the opposition the hammer as a reward for playing crappy..best think this out.🤓

05-19-22 09:29AM
bpm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bpm Click here to Send bpm a Private Message Find more posts by bpm Add bpm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpm
Harvey Hacksmasher

Stupid Ideas

Seems like fun so here goes:

- Getting hammer means you start with -1 points

- Rings are worth different points: 4 for button, 3 for 4-foot, 2 for 8-foot, 1 for 12-foot

- Infinite Power Plays, but the other team must be awarded the same amount; either team can choose at any time

- Every team must have one left handed sweeper and one right handed sweeper; otherwise, one sweeper only.

- Same as above except for throwing; every team has one lefty or you're stuck with three throwers and six rocks only

- In round robin format, every team gets to introduce one custom rule in one of their round robin games only; if both want to do it during the same game, it is settled via draw to the button

- If a player is "mic'd up" they can choose to dismiss a television commentator who is unpleasing to their ears

05-19-22 01:13PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

My fun crazy idea is that rocks that bounce off the walls remain in play. Rocks only go out of play if they cross the back line.

The downside is that the pure cat and mouse game ("If I guard, will they peel or will they make a move in the house? If they peel, can I repeat this a few times? Who will make the first REAL move?") is no more. A half rock hit on a center guard won't send either rock crossing the back line, so it's not easy to maintain status quo and waste a few stones with a guard/peel series.

Honestly I don't mind that so much. Maintaining status quo is overrated in my opinion. I'd rather see stones accumulate and/or move around the sheet.

Last edited by curlingclips on 05-19-22 at 01:17PM

05-19-22 09:38PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
My fun crazy idea is that rocks that bounce off the walls remain in play. Rocks only go out of play if they cross the back line.

There are no requirements for having walls dividing the rinks.

Here is a world championship without walls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNrc_PsvnLM

Do you also propose that rocks from other rinks can interact? That would really be a "fun crazy idea".

05-20-22 12:38AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
There are no requirements for having walls dividing the rinks.

Not yet, but if we want rocks that bounce off the walls remain in play, then yes, those sheets would have walls on them as part of the requirement. You'd be allowed to make shots off the wall.

So this so-called "controversial bumper touch" (their words, not mine) would be 100% legal in my proposed "fun crazy" universe, and Gushue would score 3.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/gu...l-bumper-touch/

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
Do you also propose that rocks from other rinks can interact? That would really be a "fun crazy idea".

I have a half-baked idea of playing curling on two neighboring sheets side-to-side, two houses, two sets of hacks, etc. It's still red rocks vs yellow rocks, one team vs another. Rocks can roll out from one house and roll in to the neighboring house, full interaction. Both houses score independently, so maybe you're giving up 3 in one house, but you also scored 3 in the other house, then it's net 0 score differential.

I haven't fully thought this one out yet, I'm sure there's lots of potential problems with it.

Last edited by curlingclips on 05-20-22 at 12:42AM

05-20-22 09:03PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

You ARE allowed to bounce the rock off the wall as long as it hits the wall between the hoglines. This comes up in club play all the time but at the pro level the "walls" are foam so it's of no use.