Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Le Gruyere European Curling Championships

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-18-19 10:28AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Le Gruyere European Curling Championships

Scotland vs Sweden on TSN3 @ 2:00PM ET today.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-22-19 08:49PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

If I'm reading it correctly, it is Turkey vs Italy in the CF of group B Women's event. So, I'd say Italy is favoured, but if Turkey wins, would they be in the A group next Europeans, or is there a play-in game required?
I haven't seen any Turkish teams competing on the WCT yet, but maybe that will happen soon too.

11-22-19 08:57PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I think top 2 in B replace bottom 2 in A for next year straight up

11-22-19 09:04PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
If I'm reading it correctly, it is Turkey vs Italy in the CF of group B Women's event. So, I'd say Italy is favoured, but if Turkey wins, would they be in the A group next Europeans, or is there a play-in game required?
I haven't seen any Turkish teams competing on the WCT yet, but maybe that will happen soon too.

both italy and turkey are promoted to the A group next year. top 2 B division teams are promoted. bottom 2 A division teams are relegated

11-23-19 12:07PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Thanks Misty1. The WCF site doesn't indicate this clearly. Nice to see another country climbing the ladder.

11-23-19 02:48PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Actually quite enjoying the broadcasts. Announcers helpful without being dominant.

11-23-19 06:03PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by alex
Actually quite enjoying the broadcasts. Announcers helpful without being dominant.

Same. I realize I might be in the minority, but I prefer them over the usual Canadian commentary.

11-24-19 12:28PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Wouldn't surprise me if you're actually with the majority now.

11-24-19 02:04PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

I did think the commentating was a nice change from the Canadian broadcasts (sometimes Russ and Cheryl do babble a bit too much). However I would find Rhona and the other guy would get a bit stale for me if I heard them more than once or twice a year.

One other observation. Wayne Middaugh is just the the type of coach Hasselborg's team needed. He does not talk around things and when he feels there is only one shot to play he comes out and says so instead of trying to get them to agree by talking it out. I wish Team Homan would be open to this style of coaching as I feel that is just what Rachel needs right now. But she has to buy in and I'm not sure she ever would.

11-24-19 06:47PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I'm usually a fan of WorldCurlingTV productions in the past, but I noticed some very annoying things this time. Maybe this wasn't the first event where they started doing this, but this is the first event of the season that I watched, and it's very glaring to me.

Specifically I'm annoyed by the rotating overhead camera angles. Overhead camera should only swivel up and down the sheet, keeping centerline vertical at all times, in my opinion. Maybe the only exception is during measurement, where I've seen the camera rotate with the stick. That's acceptable, because the end is already over, but if a rock is moving, then the overhead camera should stay upright at all times, in my opinion.

I'm also annoyed by the zooming in and out. I don't need to see an extreme closeup of a moving rock. I'd rather zoom out and see it in the context of where all the other rocks are.

I also noticed that they started cutting away to a closeup of the thrower, like for example when a come around attempt wrecks on a guard, or a freeze attempt bounces off. Rather than cutting away to show the thrower's reaction, I'd rather the camera stay with the rock until it fully rests, and then insert a closeup of the thrower as necessary, either live or replay.

Or, they can do what they sometimes already do, which is the thrower+rock split screen. That's fine with me, because at least you get to follow the rock until it fully rests.

I realize that these are small annoyances in the grand scheme of things, but I actually enjoy the low-key mellow production of curling. I don't need an aspiring sport director to do these camera/editing gimmicks to make it more "dynamic".

Last edited by curlingclips on 11-24-19 at 11:24PM

11-24-19 10:05PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

At least they had good lighting at the euros...at the pacific Asia champs the lighting caused players to cast shadows on the ice which was really distracting.

11-27-19 09:36AM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by alex

While Rhona Martin & whoever may not be iconic colour commentators, isn't it refreshing not to hear "Great Sweep" as much as 50 times during any single SN game?

Regarding TSN, where you have no choice but to listen to Russ Howard field a minimum of 300 + questions per game from the "play-play-announcer", many of which are downright silly, I am always grateful to Bobby Adler, the inventor of the mute button.

11-28-19 01:42AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

agree. pleasant change.

12-07-19 04:51AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Well, I'm watching the 2018 women's final for the very first time, and while it doesn't feature the rotating overhead camera gimmick, it does cut away from the rock to thrower A LOT.

I saw several instances when the camera cuts back to the thrower in the middle of a draw as it travels down the sheet, just for a brief moment to get a face shot, before cutting back to the rock. I'm not a fan of this style and find it very distracting.

There were also plenty of cutting to the thrower before the rock fully rests, even on something as important as a final rock of the end that is being swept furiously by the opposition because it's that close to being too heavy (1h14m28s). This is very infuriating in my opinion. It's like cutting away from a possible hole-in-one in golf to show the golfer's face instead.

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-07-19 at 05:18AM