Howard Final
Sherry 10  (2)
Shuster 13  Final
Brickey (2)
Moulding Final
Isdahl 12  (2)
Martin Final
Sidney (1)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2019 Scott Tournament of Hearts - Sydney, N.S.

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-20-19 09:55PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

It's far worse

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-20-19 10:18PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jonesy Jones has a long road to hoe. Her opponents in the next round:

Rachel Homan, Chelsea Carey, Krista McCarville and either Tiny Tracy Fleury or Sarah Wark, the new hero of BC curling.

Jones keeps up the 50 & 60% games she'll have a very tough time dragging McCarville, Chelsea or Rachel into the muck. She needs almost a complete reversal in her game to win at least two of those games - which may give her an outside shot at FINAL 4, assuming she can ambush the slightly lesser teams of either Wark or Fleury.

We'll see by noon tomorrow!

02-20-19 11:58PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

I would be more interested in the Scotties/Brier if the top teams could not play in the events. Let say that any team that earns more than 40k (30k, 50k??) on the tour are ineligible for the Scotties/Brier. Winner of the Scotties and Brier qualify for the next Canada Cup and the winner of the Canada Cup goes to the world championships. Let the elite teams have any four players on their teams and no free agents (or one free agent) for the Brier/ Scotties teams. No wild card and no Team Canada in the Brier/Scotties.

02-21-19 06:49AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade
The bottom 6 teams have combined for 8 wins and 34 losses this week and the number two Canadian team from CTRS is sitting in Man watching these club curlers.

The number two team from CTRS had two chances to get into the event. Can't really complain about that.

02-21-19 09:35AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Major problem for Manitoba teams (Jones, Einarson, Fleury) is they play with a high degree of fear - whereas, fresh opponents (like BC) play with anticipation of making shots.

Jones, for instance is a strategy genius but its also her downfall. She knows all the possibilities and too often tries to have her (and her players) rocks placed too perfrectly. . . . almost an impossible task. Once in the wrong position Jones rocks are invariably used against her.

Einarson is just far too casual and lacks intensity.

Fleury has intensity but her chemistry with Selena Njegovan is waning. That, and Tracy just doesn't make enough important shots. For a draw expert she's failing at her specialty - way too much!

02-21-19 09:42AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

First draw of Round 2

Jennifer Jones couldn't ask for a better opening game. Playing her old arch-enemy Chelsea Carey - a player who Jones has mostly had the number of.

Carey is unbeaten, she's smug, has a powerful team underneath her reins but if Jones can somehow sputter up an 80%+ game (a hard ask, I know) she could give Carey a little sting. Won't effect Carey much, she's already accumulated 7 wins but it would buoy Jones.

Getting buried by Carey - over & out for JJ.

Another nice game shaping up is Northern Ontario vs. Sask'n. Two fearless skips - the best nullification skip in canadian women's history (McCarville) vs. the ebullient but strong-willed Silvernagle. Can't wait for this one.

Scheidegger (Wildcard) vs. Homan is another monster's ball. Two similar skips with amazing hitting/accuracy prowess but both can get tangled in the weeds if too many rocks come into play. Only way that happens is if one team gets up by 2 or more early.

02-21-19 09:48AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Here's the 1st round championship pool draw from curling.ca

https://www.curling.ca/scoreboard/#!/competitions/4433/draws/16715

I was hearing our local radio yappers talk about Jones playing Scheidegger again but thats not according to rules. Casey & JJ were in the same preliminary pool. I thought the crossover avoided such matches. I suspect the sports radio yappers were just too lazy to look up the right sources!

If thats the case PEI (Birt) will take on the winner of Wark (BC) vs. Fleury (MB) tie-breaker now on ice!

02-21-19 11:14AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Based on the round-robin thought Wark was the mentally stronger skip over Fleury - and her team was stronger overall (percentage wise) but I did think Fleury's experience would factor in. Also, last year Fleury's group got to the STOH FINAL where they were eked out by Jennifer Jones in the CF.

But now, almost appeared Fleury & Co. did not want to proceed any further. Selena wasn't snippy as usual cuz she knew the game was nationally televised.

Can't see that group staying together much longer.

Actually all 3 top manitoba teams possibly in peril.

1. Einarson - Val Sweeting didn't turn out to be the shooter everyone thought she was. Can't see all-stars like Birchard & Meilleur toiling for shot-flubbers like Val & Kerri much longer.

2. Jones - prolly the highest chance of the Manitoba teams staying together - and I wouldn't put it past 60%. Jones looks like she's had it. Peterman really clammed up this week and Kaitlyn Lawes had possibly her worst week at any form of national championship she's ever competed. Jones might enforce their contracts because she refuses to believe she's done.

3. Fleury - a rental skip who pulled off a big upset in Manitoba, derailing Scotties runner-up Kerri Einarson. But moreso Einarson continuing to flub than Fleury being brilliant.

Time for new blood in Manitoba.

1. Shannon Birchard should return to skipping. Wouldn't mind her skipping a team of Kaitlyn Lawes, Brianne Meilleur & Dawn McEwen w/ Jill Officer as coach/5th

Birchard/Lawes or Lawes/Birchard, doesn't matter. Both have a ton of great virtues, not many defects.

2. Val & Kerri Einarson didn't mix. Can't see that op continuing.

3. T. Fleury - prolly a better chance competing for a STOH spot in Manitoba vs. knocking her head against a cement wall named McCarville in Northern Ontario.

4. If Jones wants to try and defy Father Time and give it one more go - then go with Lawes, Officer & McEwen. See what happens. Another season of 50/60% shooting and call it a day. I'm afraid Jones decision governed more by sponsorship money and tour prize money than anything else.

02-21-19 11:20AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by drawthepin
I would be more interested in the Scotties/Brier if the top teams could not play in the events. Let say that any team that earns more than 40k (30k, 50k??) on the tour are ineligible for the Scotties/Brier. Winner of the Scotties and Brier qualify for the next Canada Cup and the winner of the Canada Cup goes to the world championships. Let the elite teams have any four players on their teams and no free agents (or one free agent) for the Brier/ Scotties teams. No wild card and no Team Canada in the Brier/Scotties.

I would be more in support of a Tier 1 and 2 division in Scottie's/Brier, sort of what is done in the Tour Challenge.

02-21-19 12:59PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

DELIVERY LESSON # 1

Last night Russ Howard pointed out repeatedly that Jones was not sliding out directly at the broom making it nearly impossible for her to make precise takeouts, freezes etc.

I can understand why Jones might not have been aware of this. But why in the world did Lawes not bring this to her attention immediately? What about the two sweepers? How could they possibly miss this? And what about Officer who was directly behind the sheet they were playing on? And their coach, he missed it too?
Wasn't he at the game?

GOOD GRIEF !!!!!!!!!!!

02-21-19 02:45PM
Island Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Island Roger Find more posts by Island Roger Add Island Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Island Roger
Harvey Hacksmasher

I tell you what he didn't point out last night was Lawes moving around behind the sheet constantly while Casey was trying to throw. Obviously didn't bother her .... or maybe it motivated her !

02-21-19 02:59PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
DELIVERY LESSON # 1

Last night Russ Howard pointed out repeatedly that Jones was not sliding out directly at the broom making it nearly impossible for her to make precise takeouts, freezes etc.

I can understand why Jones might not have been aware of this. But why in the world did Lawes not bring this to her attention immediately? What about the two sweepers? How could they possibly miss this? And what about Officer who was directly behind the sheet they were playing on? And their coach, he missed it too?
Wasn't he at the game?

GOOD GRIEF !!!!!!!!!!!

You wanna be the 1 telling the greatest female skip of all-time that her technique is flawed? Are u Cathy O? lol

02-21-19 04:19PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jennifer Jones just delivered a special delivery letter to her old friend, Chelsea Carey. It read:

I'M HERE!

xoxo
JJ

02-21-19 04:55PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

Beautifully worded statement from Team Galusha. They were the teaem I was pulling for the hardest. Hop to see them back next year!

https://twitter.com/TeamGalusha/sta...581938598805505

02-21-19 07:33PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

After a near-heroic "Jones Style" victory over an unbeaten Alberta/Carey squad Jennifer Jones has returned to "doe form" tonite - getting herself eaten up and spit out by the hungry wolves of Ottawa, Ontario.

It would sure help if Jones had a clue about rock positioning or directing her brushers. Also, if JJ could hit the stick on occasion.

Homan is showing everyone what I've feared . . . . Jones is a spent force!

That said, go down hard to Homan tonite - win your last couple vs. PEI & NO and JJ finishes 7-4 with a decent chance at 3rd, 4th or a tie-break.

Easier said than done!

02-21-19 07:43PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Prob get a 4 after your prediction

02-21-19 09:04PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Hitting Paint

What a treat to watch Homan vs. Jones. Very interesting curling game. That missed raise takeout by Miskew when up 5-1 let Jones up off the mat, and Emma talked Homan out of the shot Rachel wanted her to play. They should have simplified, picked out the Jones stone and taken three off the table. Of course, they really shouldn't have been staggering their own stones in front of the house with a big lead anyway, and they've done that twice in this game alone.

I am intrigued by the demeanour of Team Jones. They've been so sour on themselves, even to the point of laughing when falling behind 5-1. It's almost like they can't believe they got it back to 6-6.

As for the other six remaining teams, I don't trust any of them to rise to the occasion when the chips are down. Maybe one exception to that is Team Carey, but she's had a real stinker of a day today. She was the best curler in the world for those first seven games. The nervousness of everyone out there is riveting to watch, and it's only going to intensify with everyone still alive.

02-21-19 09:19PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Cheering for the under dog on a roll. GO PEI GO. Show them 100000's of sponsorships and Curling Canada funding can't buy the Scotties, only slam placements. Bring it home.

02-21-19 09:26PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

Wow, PEI is scoring a ton of points this tournament. They're averaging 9.53 points per game.
Go Team Birt, show no mercy.

02-21-19 10:07PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

It would be nice to see PEI win, or McCarville, or Scheidegger.

02-21-19 10:38PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Totally intrigued by Team Saskatchewan. They haven't had a really legit super-team since the halcyon days of Sandra S. OK, Amber Holland won a Scotties that was essentially donated to her by Jennifer Jones but thats about it.

Robyn Silvernagle is getting more and more comfortable with every draw. She's making a ton of shots and Stef Lawton is finally doing her job as vice.

Front end is actually much better than expected.

If Homan falters again, I suspect Sask'n could have another champion curler.

MIsc. notes:

JJ Jones has Rachel Homan in her sites and lets her off the hook. Better shooting by Jones after she barfed up an easy 3 to Homan early - and Homan had a hard time defending her lead - but Jones last 2 bricks in the 10th were horrid. She could have buried on the pot behind 2 centre line guards. Instead, she feebled out to the wide 8 ft. Rachel couldn't believe her luck - and killed 2 easy mark Jones stones for the W.

Chelsea Carey now faltering. 2 straight losses. Wonder if she got too smug or if this is the typical Carey portion of the event where she disconnects from reality and can't deal with real pressure?

PEI continues to astound!

WIldcard Alberta up and down all week. Not quite as bad as Jones - but not the picture of consistency!

02-21-19 11:22PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Chelsea Carey now faltering. 2 straight losses. Wonder if she got too smug or if this is the typical Carey portion of the event where she disconnects from reality and can't deal with real pressure?

Maybe just two defeats against good competition. Happened to Rachel Homan earlier in the week.

02-22-19 03:44PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Hitting Paint

It's really frustrating that there are four important matches playing simultaneously, and TSN viewers are stuck with AB-SK, which is probably already decided with two ends to play. Maybe TSN should modernize a bit and allow themselves to switch games to a closer game. They already have everyone mic'd up anyway.

02-22-19 04:22PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
It's really frustrating that there are four important matches playing simultaneously, and TSN viewers are stuck with AB-SK, which is probably already decided with two ends to play. Maybe TSN should modernize a bit and allow themselves to switch games to a closer game. They already have everyone mic'd up anyway.

Totally agree. The reason is more arrogance than anything else. Don't want to do what competitor Sportsnet is doing - which is rotating back and forth from game to game - especially the important ones.

TSN sticking to their guns. Refusing to advance into the 19th century. Still a bit medieval.

02-22-19 04:46PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
It would be nice to see PEI win, or McCarville, or Scheidegger.
Well for today, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

And the Cinderella team of the tournament just turned in a real goody, and took arguably the best team in the world to extra ends in a 7-6 game.

This is turning into one of the better STOHs for sure.