Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-07-20 09:03PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

2020 Nationals

Shuster is the odds on favorite on the men’s side, field is probably 3 to 1. Shuster probably drops 1 game in the round robin but cleans up in the playoffs. Looking forward to seeing the Young Bucks vs Shuster on Monday night.

On the women’s side Sinclair is the clear favorite as well. The Petersen rink is probably the only one that can challenge.

Webstream and schedule here: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/webstream

Last edited by southerncurler on 02-07-20 at 09:08PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-07-20 09:33PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Both Sinclair and Shuster have been off their peak this season.
I’m betting on it being Peterson and Dropkin this time.

02-08-20 07:03PM
theanswer1313 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for theanswer1313 Click here to Send theanswer1313 a Private Message Find more posts by theanswer1313 Add theanswer1313 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
theanswer1313
Knee-Slider

Honestly

I'm not sure how either Shuster or Sinclair are favorites.

They haven't been good this season and it wouldn't surprise me if Dropkin wins the men and Peterson wins the womens.

02-08-20 08:46PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

We shall see

02-08-20 10:23PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Tabitha Peterson is the story of USA curling this season. Since taking over as a skip, that team has be wonderful and...rarely seen in Women's...consistent. They have cashed often and in tough fields.

Ben Tucker

02-09-20 07:41PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

It's not a USA National without a "Tuck-istrator" !!!!

02-10-20 04:34PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

What is policy here?. Like, let's say stinnett Stuns everyone and wins it all ( and he is my darkhorse) does he get to yo to worlds or is this a case where he won and that's great but he isnt ranked high enough on tour so whichever of shuster/dropkin/ruoonen makes it farthest goes

02-10-20 07:58PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

I think you're right about that.

I might be wrong about this but in the past, USCA HPTs (high performance teams) would take preference in the final standings.

In other words, HPTs out-rank non HPTs. Yes, there were cases when a non HPT won the nationals but a 2nd or 3rd place HPT team went to worlds instead. Yeah, kind of sucks. Non HPTs got a bupkis...not even consideration for the Continental cup or Curling Night in America....zero, zip, nada. Perhaps some funding, maybe a chance to tryout for the HPT program, but not much else.

However, being a HPT is double edge sword with no guarantees of staying together as a team. You're the property of the USCA but on the other hand you get perks and extra help. Help that comes in handy for the Olympic Trials.

After the Team Birr controversy there was a bit of a tweek to the rules. I believe to become "eligible" it comes down to your WCT rankings. You want to take part in the worlds or Olympic Trials, you'll have to hit the tour and you'll have to make curling your full-time profession.

Last edited by AK267 on 02-10-20 at 08:09PM

02-10-20 08:13PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

im sorry but a national championship where the winner doesnt get to go to worlds is stupid

why even hold it then. why not just have a double or triple round robin among the 3 hpp teams.

let who wins go. it's not right not to

Last edited by misty1 on 02-10-20 at 10:02PM

02-11-20 07:47AM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Shuster takes down the young bucks in a pretty epic game. Shusters quad (really a triple since the 4th was hanging on the back) in the 4th came out of nowhere and setup a deuce from essentially nothing. The reigning champs are now 5-0 and still have essentially the bottom half of the RR to play. Should have the 1 seed locked up.

A two loss day for Dropkin yesterday means pretty much must win now against Ruohnen in order to avoid 3,4 or even tiebreakers.

Women’s side will come down to Sinclair vs Peterson as pretty much everyone expected. They play tonight at 10pm EST.

02-11-20 08:30PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
im sorry but a national championship where the winner doesnt get to go to worlds is stupid

why even hold it then. why not just have a double or triple round robin among the 3 hpp teams.

As an American not near a curling hot bed, this makes it exceedingly difficult to follow.

Although watching US nationals, it sure seems like you’ve got Shuster - who would be competitive at the Brier, Ruohnen/Persinger and Dropkin - who when playing their best could be 4-4 ish at the Brier, and the rest who would struggle to take more than a game or two.

But it sure seems like this top teams only in the National program setup is designed to keep it that way.

02-12-20 09:42AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

The rules have changed.

"Qualification Standards—2020
Any Men’s or Women’s team that wins the 2020 National Championship and was either ranked in the Top 50 or had earned 80 Points (Year-to-Date, defined as ranking/points earned during the 2019-20 season) in the WCF World Team Ranking system, as of January 31, 2020, will be named Team USA for the 2020 Men’s/Women’s World Curling Championships."

Dropkin, Ruohonen and Shuster are all in the top 50 and have over 80 points. Dunnam is 55th with 77.6 points, so close.

Realistically the winner will come out of that top three 99% of the time. If one of these does not win then Dropkin will go as the top point earner.

For next year you need to be in the top 30 or earn 125 points.

02-12-20 09:48AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

So Joe Polo has yet to throw a stone for the suddenly struggling Young Bucks team. If I am not mistaken he was throwing third when they had their earlier success in Canada, the Level two they won and the slam they qualified for.

I saw his picture at the event, so he is there. It will be interesting to see if he sees the ice as the rubber hits the road today against Ruohonen and Maerki.

02-12-20 12:45PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Interesting finish setting up for the Women's field. It's a race to get to 4-3 and secure that third and final spot in the playoffs.

Cassie and her team are easy to cheer for, but they have tough games to finish up. Patti Lank is doing very well with the Junior team, but their remaining games ain't easy either.

Traxler started out going 0-3, but they seem to be charging. They have winnable games left. It would be a nice story.

A nice story would be all that it would be, however. Tabs and Jamie are towering over the field. Still, this is how future stars are made.

Ben Tucker

02-12-20 09:15PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Another round down and Traxler is making me look good. Cassie, Patti and Ariel are all sitting at 3-3.

Cassie has Jamie Sinclair tomorrow morning. Sinclair wants that valuable 1 seed that goes straight to the Finals. Tough game.

Patti (McMakin rink) plays Tabitha Peterson who also wants that 1 seed. Tough game.

Ariel doesn't get a bye. She and her team has to play Kim Rhyme who just beat Jamie Sinclair.

Still, it looks like ol' Tuck saw this coming. A patchwork team of young talent started by losing 3 straight games but hung together. Good story. Maybe. If it happens. I still find myself cheering for Cassie and Tabs for no particular reasons.

Ben Tucker

02-12-20 09:45PM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Pretty sure that if Sinclair and Peterson both win tomorrow that will end up meaning that there is no bye to the final and the women’s side would switch to a page playoff system with 4 teams making the page playoff. Sinclair would be the one seed but would play Peterson for a place in the final.

Personally I’m hoping for the tiemageddon by Sinclair, Peterson, Strouse and Rhyme all winning creating a 5 way tie for 3rd at 3-4. Workin amazingly is the only team actually eliminated.

Last edited by southerncurler on 02-12-20 at 09:50PM

02-12-20 09:54PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I thought they changed that with only 8 teams and also now allow head-to-head to break ties. Hard to keep up when I'm not playing. I could go read the rules, but that doesn't sound like much fun.

Anyway, quit letting facts ruin a good story. We have a good story happening here and I saw it coming and you're messing it up.

I typed a post about the Men's side possibilities and slamming the HPP for not playing Polo, but curlingzone didn't put that one up. Just as well.

Ben Tucker

02-12-20 10:25PM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

I was slightly incorrect after reading the rules, if Sinclair and Peterson both win then they use a modified page where they would play off in a 1vs2 game winner to final. Then 3rd seed would play the loser of that game winner to the final. They don’t expand to 4 teams.

However that makes the tiemageddon even more interesting since there could be 5 teams playing for the 3 seed.

Traxler is definitely looking good right now

02-12-20 11:27PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

You read the rules??? Geez, dude. Get a life.

Just kidding. I'm a relatively nice guy. Ask anybody.

Since I'm not curling, I don't have a life. I'm currently following politics...proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have no life.

I just need the last draw to go my way so I can say I TOLD YOU SO; to which you will shrug and remain unimpressed. It's all for fun.

Ben Tucker

02-13-20 03:23AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i have no idea what happened to dropkin here.

02-13-20 08:41AM
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Dropkin still not mathematically eliminated. There could still be a four way tie for fourth place at 4-5. Would need wins by Ruohonen, sinnett, Shuster and obviously themselves

02-13-20 03:00PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Dropkin The Younger might not be mathematically eliminated, but it all starts with them playing BooBoo Birr. They way the Dropkin team is playing right now, they couldn't beat Raymond Birr.

Too bad. Extremely good young team and easy to cheer for.

I'm an extra end hammer from declaring myself a Curling Prophet. Come on, Traxler.

Ben Tucker

02-13-20 03:22PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

its just weird the way the wheels came off or dropkin. they had hat barn burner against shuster in draw 5 but havent won a game since. i mean..i know the way they lost could be demoralizing. up by 2 and they gave up a 3 in the last end. shuster has a real habit on popping 3 on teams out o nowhere though so you always have to be careful leaving rocks around with him.

they might not be eliminated but now they have to run the gauntlet and need help. might be to little to late even if they can rebound today with a win

02-13-20 04:57PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Come on, Misty! I called the Traxler run to the playoffs. I nailed the biting reference to Raymond Burr. Are you too young to remember Ironsides? Where is the love?

The struggles of the Dropkin team is head-shaker. So is the decision to not play Joe Cool. Such is curling. That's why we don't bet on the game and second guessing coaches is a fool's game.

Still, skips need to learn a lesson from John "Keep Your Hands Off My Team" Shuster. Do the players work for the HPP or does the HPP work for the players? Shuster has it right.

Ben Tucker (looks like no Valentine's Day card from Misty again)

02-13-20 05:06PM
wacky4alanis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wacky4alanis Find more posts by wacky4alanis Add wacky4alanis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wacky4alanis
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Nina Roth (then Spatola) won the US nationals in 2014, but didn't get to go to the Worlds or the Olympics. She beat Allison Pottinger 5-4 in the final. Pottinger went to Worlds, and Erika Brown went to the Olympics.