Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 12 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-20-22 09:50PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

We know 2 members tested positive before. It's just sad for them honestly. I wonder what happens in the matches played? Are they null and void? Do other teams have to play their draws to the button when they were supposed to play Scotland?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-20-22 09:56PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Given the soaring case counts back in Scotland, I’d wager they brought it with them.

Had they picked Muirhead’s team, this likely wouldn’t have happened because most of them already had Omicron COVID.

03-20-22 10:14PM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Crushing news. Wouldn’t wish this on anyone. Hindsight maybe allow 6 person team and alternate just for covid times.

Also did they get it here or bring it with them and went unnoticed until tested every day. Again, feel bad for all.

I presume they are doing daily rapid antigen/lateral flow tests.
When I contracted Omicron at Christmas it took nearly a week for me to show positive on that test.

They may well have caught it from their other team members and it just took longer to show up on the RAT/LFT.

It is terribly sad - as for all of them it was their first world championship. And who knows if and when they will get another opportunity unless they are on Eve's team.

I hope they are all ok - mentally and physically as they must be devastated! And I presume they must stay in isolation for a week or more before they can go home.

And Beth Farmer has presumably now arrived in Canada as the 4th player - does she just return straight home?

03-20-22 10:15PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC
We know 2 members tested positive before. It's just sad for them honestly. I wonder what happens in the matches played? Are they null and void? Do other teams have to play their draws to the button when they were supposed to play Scotland?

From a tweet by sports reporter Donna Spencer:

"With Scotland withdrawing from women's world #curling championship, opposing teams will do their pre-game, last-stone draw and practice for 30 minutes in those draws. The remainder of Scotland's games are forfeits."

Unless you either run the tournament in a bubble like last year, or go Full Boris and just let the players play sick (brings back memories of Fujisawa hacking and wheezing her way through 2016 Worlds), then you are always going to run the very high risk of something like this happening. All we can do now is pray that it doesn't spread through the other teams and cause some real chaos.

Team Tirizoni must be really nervous now, having spent nearly two hour on the ice unmasked with these players.

In other news, Team Kitazawa has benched their lead for their game against the Americans, bringing the veteran Chiaki Matsumura in to play second, and moving Minori Suzuki into lead.

03-20-22 10:17PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Why couldn’t they play wearing masks a la USA men last year when they tested positive. More tests later suggested “maybe” false positives, for the conspiracy theorists, however, why not do the same here? Really? Waiting years for their chance knowing as long as Muirhead can still walk they’d never get another chance. Feel bad.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 03-20-22 at 10:21PM

03-20-22 10:34PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

Really just need to pick one direction and stick with it.

If we need to prevent infection at all costs, then build a bubble, bring everyone in early to isolate (even the cameramen and commentators) and root out any cases early before letting them play in a locked down arena.

If we accept that these are athletes and let them take responsibility for their own health, then have them sign a waiver and just stop testing for COVID altogether.

This half-assed approach is unfair to everyone. But I shouldn't be surprised that the organization that's sloppy with implementing rules and sloppy with enforcing them should also choose the sloppy, half-assed way of addressing COVID.

03-20-22 10:57PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Curling Canada needs to take whatever they spend on women's sports psychology and times it by a hundred or we'll never medal at the worlds again.

03-20-22 11:07PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Curling Canada needs to take whatever they spend on women's sports psychology and times it by a hundred or we'll never medal at the worlds again.

Very harsh. Let’s see how the week imfolds.

03-20-22 11:09PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Maybe pay the top Canadian coaches to stay home instead of going for the # money elsewhere.
#paytostay

03-20-22 11:10PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Very harsh. Let’s see how the week imfolds.

Einarson is undoubtedly the best team in Canada and here again we see what is clearly nerves. I hope they can find their feet and some consistency, and it is VERY possible, but this is being too stark a pattern.

03-20-22 11:18PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:

Einarson is undoubtedly the best team in Canada

I could have sworn that I saw Jones playing an undefeated Fleury for the right to go to the Olympics.

03-20-22 11:52PM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

quote:

Einarson is undoubtedly the best team in Canada and here again we see what is clearly nerves. I hope they can find their feet and some consistency, and it is VERY possible, but this is being too stark a pattern.

Agreed 100%. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. They mow through the Scotties, and then wilt at the Worlds. Not sure how else to explain it other than nerves.

Still time to turn this around, but when you’re railroaded by the Swiss in 6 ends, my hopes are low.

03-20-22 11:55PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Honor system for the hogline the rest of the way. The fact that they can't install reliable handles is embarassing, this is not complicated, it worked pretty well for years but the last few have been a mess. The cynic in me figures they gave the contract to a pal, the optimist in me figures it's just the usual incompetence.

^ No - the electronic handles have always been unreliable.
They've had problems ever since they were first implemented.

Meanwhile, Canada loses another due to questionable strategy and bad execution, like in the Norway game.
Only this time, the score was bigger.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-20-22 11:58PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

These ladies are solid, talented players. They won the nationals 3x in a row. Historic. Tomorrow's a new day, as what was just said.

03-20-22 11:59PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Undoubtedly the greatest women's skip to ever live threw a delightful final rock to score four. Shame it was a score for the other team.

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
Agreed 100%. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. They mow through the Scotties, and then wilt at the Worlds. Not sure how else to explain it other than nerves.

They mowed through Canadian teams. So another way to explain it is that Canadian teams have fallen farther behind their international counterparts?

03-21-22 12:00AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
Canada loses another due to questionable strategy

Can you articulate the bad strategy part? What is it and why is it bad? Is it a new strategy or is it the same one they used to win the Scotties? Does the fact that they're playing under different rules have anything to do with it?

03-21-22 12:15AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Wheels are falling off the Kitazawa team in the second half. Well, at least they know they won't start a losing streak here.

03-21-22 12:22AM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

They mowed through Canadian teams. So another way to explain it is that Canadian teams have fallen farther behind their international counterparts? [/B][/QUOTE]

Vic and Russ spoke to the dedication of Team Tirinzoni, and how much time they train to prepare for events. Our players will fall behind for all of the reasons mentioned. Our best coaches are coaching overseas, and they are "professional players" funded solely to curl. I watch our team Canada working very hard out there, and yes there are times they seem to have lost their mojo. But until we have a fair playing field Canada will have to work harder than the selected funded teams. So regardless of the outcome I am so proud of these women who exemplify the Canadian spirit. I will cheer them on and know that they will do their best to succeed.

03-21-22 12:31AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Our best coaches are coaching overseas, and they are "professional players" funded solely to curl. I watch our team Canada working very hard out there, and yes there are times they seem to have lost their mojo. But until we have a fair playing field Canada will have to work harder than the selected funded teams.

Team Fujisawa, a.k.a. Loco Solare, is essentially self-funded. Mari Motohashi left her team in 2010 and, from scratch, all by herself, pounded the pavement herself for years to gather sponsors and employers that will employ her players while allowing them to keep curling their first priority, somehow keeping everything afloat until their big break in 2016. Now she not only has one of the top women's curling teams in the world, but has also become a pillar of her community.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

03-21-22 12:50AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Japan steals victory from the jaws of defeat. 4-0 start!

03-21-22 01:02AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie
They mowed through Canadian teams. So another way to explain it is that Canadian teams have fallen farther behind their international counterparts?

Vic and Russ spoke to the dedication of Team Tirinzoni, and how much time they train to prepare for events. Our players will fall behind for all of the reasons mentioned. Our best coaches are coaching overseas, and they are "professional players" funded solely to curl. I watch our team Canada working very hard out there, and yes there are times they seem to have lost their mojo. But until we have a fair playing field Canada will have to work harder than the selected funded teams. So regardless of the outcome I am so proud of these women who exemplify the Canadian spirit. I will cheer them on and know that they will do their best to succeed. [/B][/QUOTE]

Nailed it. I'll support them no matter what, too; I really think Canadians are spoiled with far too many expectations and know little about what it takes to play at these events. They're a sad lot unfortunately (the fans that is) and their tendency to take their frustrations out on the *teams* is tantamount to tantrums.

03-21-22 02:42AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Oh man I feel awful for Team Morrison. Always a worry this might happen after the two initial positive tests but that doesn’t make it such any less.

I’d like to see Team Hasselborg win it now and finally add the world gold to their illustrious haul of medals.

03-21-22 04:33AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I want to see an absolute shocker for podium finishers. I want to see non-Europeans dominate the top 5. I'm hoping JPN, KOR and CAN can band together and get good enough results to steal the 13th spot at the 2023 World Women's from the Europeans.

03-21-22 05:03AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

I'd like to see Czech Republic as the last team standing after every other team has to default due to asymptomatic COVID cases, leading to a coup at the World Curling Federation that overturns every ridiculous thing they've done over the past five years.

03-21-22 08:03AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

So through 5 draws under the no tick rule we have seen 6 games that bring up the dreaded "boring" scenario that necessitated the no-tick rule: extra-end or tied in the 10th. Of those 6...5 were won by team with hammer. Giving us an 83% victory for the hammer team, basically exactly the same % as without the no-tick rule.