Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2022 World Mixed Doubles Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 4 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-19-22 03:30PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

2022 World Mixed Doubles Curling Championship

Broadcast schedule: https://worldcurling.org/2022/04/wmdcc-broadcast/

Teams: https://worldcurling.org/events/wmd...?pageType=teams

DSC (in progress): https://curlit.com/WMDCC/aspnet/DSC.aspx?EventID=1

Format is similar to last year: 2 pools, top 3 of each pool qualify for playoff, #2 crosses over to play #3, winner challenges #1 in semifinal, winners of semifinals play for gold, losers play for bronze.

#10 is relegated, losers of 8v9 crossover are also relegated.

This is my favorite curling event to watch! So many brothers/sisters and life couples teams! So many strong non-traditional curling nations! Relegation also makes the stakes higher than World Men's & Women's.

Any predictions?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-19-22 04:02PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Number of pool games broadcasted per country:

9x: JPN, SUI, USA
4x: CAN
3x: ITA, KOR
2x: DEN, CZE, ENG, EST, FIN, NOR, NZL, SCO, SWE
1x: AUS, ESP, HUN, GER, TUR

All 20 teams are featured at least once in the 30 broadcasts.

04-20-22 10:09AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

I think we will defend the title from last year. Go SCOTLAND!!

04-20-22 12:14PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

My personal wish list of bonkers scenarios that I want to see happen:

* A 6-ender
* A blanked end
* A tied measurement
* A team switching throwing order
* England defeats Scotland
* Italy goes undefeated

04-20-22 02:37PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I think by far the biggest story here is how will Italy follow up that Olympic run. I'm taking Sweden, Switzerland and Italy to come out of group a. Dark gorse is Estonia. That's q very good team and could easily take one 9f the 3 spots

In group b I'll take canada Scotland and Australia to qualify but this 8s a far harder group to predict. Scotland and Canada feel fairly safe but the US, Germany and Hungary all have legit chances to grab that 3rd spot

04-20-22 03:48PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I'm torn between wanting Peterman/Gallant to do well, because I like them, and wanting Canada to do poorly, so it has one more reason to fix its broken mixed doubles system.

Maybe a bronze would be a good compromise between the two.

I would be happy for Peterman/Gallant if they win gold, but sad for Canada because it means nothing will change.

04-20-22 07:17PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

CEOs of Curling Canada seem to have a life span of between 8 and 15 years. Henderson was only hired in 2015 so my guess is we have a few more years of her and her lackeys and their bad decision making. They are making Hansen look brilliant. It is beyone my comprehension that the many of the provincial associations think that she is fantastic and continue to support her bad decision making.

04-21-22 07:25PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Canadians Gallant and Peterman add world mixed doubles curling chase to already memorable year
https://torontosun.com/sports/curli...-memorable-year

quote:
Canada has never won a world mixed doubles curling championship and has two silvers and two bronze to show for 13 years of competition.

Morris and Kaitlyn Lawes did win an Olympic gold in 2018, but it’s pretty clear from recent competitions that other countries are putting more into chasing success the mixed doubles discipline.

04-21-22 08:58PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

They shoulda sent Homan and Johnny Mo.

04-21-22 09:14PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
They shoulda sent Homan and Johnny Mo.

Really??? To watch Johnny mo yak his team out of another medal? I’m hoping this is sarcasm. If it is, well done. If it isn’t, agree to really disagree.

04-22-22 01:22PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Photos from practice session suggests electronic handles will not be used in this event. It looks like hog line enforcement will be honor system again.

https://twitter.com/CoachPhill/stat...540553121878016
https://twitter.com/CurlingCanada/s...530336917442561

Also, ice looks empty with no sponsors. Not even on the buttons.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CckVooou45X/

It's a 5-sheet event, which we all know WCF is very capable of running (Europeans, Winter Universiades). It makes me wonder why the Olympics aren't also 5-sheets/10 teams, but that's another topic.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-22-22 at 01:32PM

04-22-22 01:53PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

https://www.britishcurling.org.uk/n...-mixed-doubles/
"Scotland open their campaign against former British Curling colleagues Team Fowler, brother and sister duo Ben and Anna who are making their sixth appearance together at the World Mixed Doubles Championship as England’s representatives."

Former? Did British Curling kick out the Fowlers from the national curling program? This is a surprise to me!

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if the British/Scottish curling system is quite broken. Scotland has been producing lots of medals for Great Britain, though, so maybe the answer is obviously no.

04-23-22 02:50AM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Disaster for Olympic champions Italy as Amos Mosaner is ruled out with an injury suffered when hiking with his dog over Easter weekend.

He will be replaced by Sebastiano Arman.

Stefania Constantini is still the woman.

In other news, if Eve Muirhead wins this then she’s won everything. 2022 Olympic gold, 2013 world champion, European champion x3, Scottish champion x8, world junior champion x4, Scottish Mixed doubles champion 2022 and European mixed team champion 2012.

I think winning a mixed doubles world championships will cement her status as one of the all time greats.

04-23-22 09:18AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
"Scotland open their campaign against former British Curling colleagues Team Fowler, brother and sister duo Ben and Anna who are making their sixth appearance together at the World Mixed Doubles Championship as England’s representatives."

Former? Did British Curling kick out the Fowlers from the national curling program? This is a surprise to me!

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if the British/Scottish curling system is quite broken. Scotland has been producing lots of medals for Great Britain, though, so maybe the answer is obviously no.

It could just be a clumsily-worded way to say that for this event, with the constituent countries of the UK playing separately instead of under the GB umbrella, they are not teammates.

04-23-22 09:35AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

For this event, the.recast.app is offering what they call Light Coverage of every sheet in every draw, or at least they did in this one that just finished. For 25 cents off your account, you can get a feed showing two static cameras showing both ends of the sheet and wild sound from the arena. No fancy camera work, no commentary, but you can see what’s happening better than refreshing linescores, and like I said, it’s only 25 cents and you’ve got your pick of games.

04-23-22 10:57AM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Muirhead and Lammie win the Battle of Britain, 8-3 over Fowler and, erm, other Fowler.

Let’s hope they meet again in the final

04-23-22 11:21AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

This is a bit too early to make conclusions from, but Canada pinned their LSDs for their first game, the best effort overall so far in the event.

This may lead to credence the suggestion that Canada's DSC issues in Men's and Women's is not a skill issue, but a methodology issue. As Cathy Gauthier reported at World Women's, Canada is still just starting to get used to drawing on both sides of the sheet. Others have also reported that Canada has always believed that the pre-game practice session should be used to map the ice for hits and other shots, things that would be helpful in winning games, not just winning LSFE.

In mixed doubles, teams play so many draws to the 4-foot in actual game, which is often enough to win many games, so maybe there's no need to practice hits as much, so pre-game practice can be focused on LSD.

In any case, it looks like Canada is at least now using WCF's LSD procedure with 2 draws on both sides of the sheet. If Canada uses average instead of cumulative, they'd be identical to WCF in DSC procedure.

04-23-22 04:07PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
For this event, the.recast.app is offering what they call Light Coverage

I enjoy the Light Coverage! TSN needs to offer this for the Scotties/Brier too, if they're into that kind of thing, but it's good that WCF at least is doing it!

Maybe they'll add Light Coverage on the Seniors too, which is happening next door concurrently?

Anyway, I'll say that the Italians are so easy to root for. Imagine a player being injured (hopefully minor and not life/career-threatening) during a wholesome activity of hiking with a dog (which doesn't seem like a crazy risky activity). So now a new player is substituted in, and we will see if another magical run is in the making!

04-23-22 04:26PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
For this event, the.recast.app is offering what they call Light Coverage of every sheet in every draw, or at least they did in this one that just finished. For 25 cents off your account, you can get a feed showing two static cameras showing both ends of the sheet and wild sound from the arena. No fancy camera work, no commentary, but you can see what’s happening better than refreshing linescores, and like I said, it’s only 25 cents and you’ve got your pick of games.

You can get credits by watching videos. I myself don't bother with MLMesque Recast.

04-23-22 04:31PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
You can get credits by watching videos

And "watching" is not literal. No one is going to glue your eyelids open and force your eyeballs to stare at the pixels. There's no quiz at the end to make sure that you've been paying attention to the ads. There are ways around it such that you get free 250 credits with very little actual effort every day.

04-23-22 05:24PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:

It could just be a clumsily-worded way to say that for this event, with the constituent countries of the UK playing separately instead of under the GB umbrella, they are not teammates.

Only Scottish teams are listed under the teams section on the British Curling website.

04-23-22 06:54PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Turkey and Finland played day 1 with the females throwing the middle 3 rocks.

No 6-ender yet, but we had a 5-ender power play already.

04-24-22 10:24AM
skwerl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skwerl Find more posts by skwerl Add skwerl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skwerl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

From what I can tell the extent of the Fowlers involvement with British Curling was being able to train at the National Curling Academy in early 2021 when there was little opportunity to practice in England.

I don't think they've ever been part of a performance programme as such. Bruce Mouat and Gina Aitken were the MD athletes for 2016/17 and 2017/18, and when Team Mouat started up it was Aitken and Scott Andrews for a couple of years. Nowadays British Curling mix and matches the men's and women's teams for MD and there is no dedicated MD team on their performance programme.

I could be wrong on some details, it's difficult to find old info from British Curling's current site.

04-24-22 12:08PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by skwerl
From what I can tell the extent of the Fowlers involvement with British Curling was being able to train at the National Curling Academy in early 2021 when there was little opportunity to practice in England.

This is not true. Eve Muirhead wrote about the Fowlers in 2018.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/col...ces-on-gb-team/
EVE MUIRHEAD: English curlers have earned their places on GB team

Anna Fowler talked about touring and sharing rooms with Aitken/Andrews (Team Scotland 2019) in 2019 podcast. She also mentioned Stirling/Kingan (Team Scotland 2018) as being part of the program.

http://www.rocksacrossthepond.com/2...fowler-england/
Mixed Doubles Curling w/ Anna Fowler of Team GB

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-24-22 at 12:38PM

04-25-22 10:03AM
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

4-0 baby!!!!!!! Scotland marching towards the playoffs