Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Mixed Doubles Olympic Trials

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 10 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-18-21 06:12PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

New Manitoba rules

Inside Curling podcast Group
Warren Hansen · Just now ·

Canadian Mixed Doubles Trials - Announcement out of Manitoba yesterday indicates that starting on Tuesday, December 21st that sports tournaments must be cancelled until at least January 11, 2022. I asked Curling Canada this morning if there was any word on this decision impacting the Mixed Doubles Olympic Trials scheduled for Portage la Prairie starting on December 27th and the indication given to me was at this time that is unknown. This was left late enough as it is leaving the victors only one month to prepare and be on the ice in Beijing. So, what will Curling Canada do if the Trials are not allowed to go on in Portage.....maybe move it to a province in the 11th hour that might be prepared to host it? Pretty difficult to do?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-18-21 06:49PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

I think they will let it go on without fans. I mean if you are allowing 7500 people into a Jets game you can have a curling bubble with 100 or so. Of course the Jets owner was a big supporter of the new Premier's leadership bid and Curl Canada wasn't so we'll see....

12-21-21 02:20PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

The MD Trials will proceed. Whew! https://www.curling.ca/blog/2021/12...als-to-proceed/
And maybe spectators will be allowed to attend. Hmmmm. Bubble anywhoo.

@Devin_Heroux 1h. Media will be allowed in the arena to cover mixed doubles Olympic trials. There be strict protocols in place, including the likelihood of being subjected to the same course of rapid-testing that players and staff will be during the event.

Last edited by nelski on 12-21-21 at 03:16PM

12-23-21 10:05PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Akkk. Tuck/Tuck team has a positive Covid test - this is gonna get tough. They will not be cleared by Tuesday - so have to miss the MD Olympic Trials. Replacement - next on the list....?

12-23-21 11:06PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Akkk. Tuck/Tuck team has a positive Covid test - this is gonna get tough. They will not be cleared by Tuesday - so have to miss the MD Olympic Trials. Replacement - next on the list....?

That's such a shame. They curl well together. I don't think that the end though.

12-24-21 08:30AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Apparently several people tested positive at an Ontario tankard qualifier including Wayne. I think CurlON needs to start testing at their events for now.

12-26-21 09:37AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I heard others tested positive and the trials are in danger of being cancelled

12-26-21 10:06AM
hoggedrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hoggedrock Find more posts by hoggedrock Add hoggedrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hoggedrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

CMDCC officially cancelled. Curling Canada to nominate a team.

12-26-21 10:47AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Peterman/Gallant should be the choice. Time to ditch the one event rule in a pandemic year. CC can't ever seem to think outside the box.

12-26-21 10:47AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Whoever gets selected, I think they should add the caveat that this decision is voided and the normal trials go forward if the Olympics themselves get postponed a year.

12-26-21 11:19AM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Peterman/Gallant should be the choice. Time to ditch the one event rule in a pandemic year. CC can't ever seem to think outside the box.

Yes they are already going to Beijing, they are top tier team, young and fit so it's a no brainer. But as you say, CC is stick in the mud organization.
If they don't send them I would send Lott/Sahaidak who have been a top team for years but Sahaidak doesn't play slams and such so they won't pick them.
CC will pick Morris/Homan to go, it's the safest pick.

12-26-21 11:32AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

I understand the decision but I don’t agree with it.

That being said, the selection process will be highly entertaining. Who’s the best buddies with Curling Canada? My guess is it’s Kennedy. Which also sense since (a) he’s already going as Gushue’s 5th, and (b) he’s a very good mixed doubles player/ team with Sweeting.

What they should do is create a small 4 team playdown. I hate the idea of just declaring a team when there’s so many teams capable of winning, and who have but in a lot of time and effort. Now you’ll still anger a lot of teams you exclude, but at least let Homan/Morris, Kennedy/Sweeting, Muyres/Walker and pick a fourth play off.

If Curling Canada can’t figure at least something like that out when we’ll have 9000 people in a hockey rink in Alberta today, then they are doing a disservice to the athletes (though add it to a long list of their disservices).

12-26-21 11:54AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

CBC on Mixed Doubles

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...elled-1.6298446

12-26-21 12:03PM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

There’s 3 actual options:

1. Homan/Morris - the team that should be picked IMO. Morris is the defending Olympic champion. Homan is obviously an elite women’s curler. This is the team that I’m most confident in. Whatever your thoughts on him are, Morris has established himself as the premier men’s MD curler.

2. Sweeting/Kennedy - they have played a lot of MD the past few years. Good results, though didn’t win nationals. Kennedy always renowned as the most complete curler. Has Olympic experience, plus he’s going already (though not sure if that matters).

3. Peterman/Gallant - former national champions and always strong in MD. If they weren’t both going in women’s and men’s, I’d select them. However, Canada has the luxury of a plethora of great curlers. People can do both MD and 4 person. However, I agree it’s not ideal preparation. They are going to be in different provinces with their teams preparing for the 4 person in the weeks leading up.

The “thanks but tough luck” category (no specific order):

4. Muyres/Walker - 2018 national champions and always seem to have good results together. They just don’t have the name or star power to be selected over the top three. Unfair, but that’s life.

5. Sahaidak/Lott - a lot of the same comments as Muyres/Walker. There’s too many options with bigger resumes and you’re not going to award an Olympic berth to people who’ve never won a national men’s or women’s or doubles title.

6. Einarson/Jacobs - they get included in the conversation because Einarson won with Gushue last year. However, they get excluded because you can’t send a team that hasn’t played in competition together yet. Plus Jacobs hasn’t played much mixed doubles to my knowledge (though I don’t have any doubts that he’s be good at it).

7. Anyone else. There’s other good teams, but no one that would be seriously considered if CC is simply selecting the representative.

Last edited by Hack Weight on 12-26-21 at 12:05PM

12-26-21 12:40PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Peterman/Gallant are the obvious pick. But does a MD tourny right before the 4 person tire Gallant out too much? He's essential to Gushue and likely needs to be 100%. I don't see the Homan/Morris appeal; they wont a couple cash spiel events but Homan herself has played garbage otherwise. It's not like they've ever won anything big together.

12-26-21 01:01PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Peterman/Gallant are the obvious pick. But does a MD tourny right before the 4 person tire Gallant out too much? He's essential to Gushue and likely needs to be 100%. I don't see the Homan/Morris appeal; they wont a couple cash spiel events but Homan herself has played garbage otherwise. It's not like they've ever won anything big together.

They have won the Qualico Mixed Doubles this year, and other Morris is the reigning gold medal champion. They have played for several years together and Morris has known her since she was a little girl.

12-26-21 02:21PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

They have won the Qualico Mixed Doubles this year, and other Morris is the reigning gold medal champion. They have played for several years together and Morris has known her since she was a little girl.

I wasn't questioning their friendship. They've never won a major tournament and if winning a tourny here or there is enough then the list of more winning teams is very long. Giving them the spot would be a transparent indulgence in perceived name recognition and nothing more. Martin/Griffith and Weagle/Epping are both eligible and higher ranked. Honestly I cannot see why you'd pick Homan/Morris even if you did want to boot poor Nancy Martin because she isn't famous—Weagle and Epping are certainly curling famous enough.

If fame is #1 then give Einarson and Jacobs the trip. She's reigning Canadian champ and he's an Olympic Gold medalist.

12-26-21 02:40PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I think, if the decision makers go with the current rules, it ought to be Martin/Griffith. Laing/Nygoven haven't played together. Peterson/Gallant aren't eligible. If they change the rules now, after the fact, it's kind of like the the loser of the election wanting to change the rules. They should stick to the plan, taking care not to show PR bias.
That said, I would be interested in looking closer at the stats (CMDRS). Is the ranking skewed by the number of events entered (frequency influence) - and not just performance outcome? (Although consistency across events would be required even if teams entered more events.) Some pretty high teams were only in a few events. I wonder if Martin/Griffith ranking reflects their frequency of play as well as their performance. I feel as if they have earned this.
If you ever watched Martin in the house - very astute. Sees everything. Communicates really well. Smart team. They should go. They are next in line on the CMDRS - they should go.

Last edited by nelski on 12-26-21 at 07:36PM

12-26-21 03:01PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
Sahaidak/Lott [...] never won a national men’s or women’s or doubles title.

This is true, but they've already won Canada a gold medal in mixed doubles at the now-defunct WCF-sanctioned Curling World Cup.

Muyres/Walker have also won gold and silver at Curling World Cup, plus a bronze at World Championship.

I concede that Curling World Cup competition format was awful, and there weren't that many top mixed doubles team that played in them, but medals are medals.

For what it's worth, the only other team that has ever won gold (2x) at Curling World Cup is Norway's Skaslien/Nedregotten, who just won silver at 2021 World.

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-26-21 at 03:07PM

12-26-21 03:15PM
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I think, if the decision makers go with the current rules, it ought to be Martin/Griffith.

Let’s be a little realistic. There’s zero chance of CC and the COC selecting them. Not a slim chance, zero chance. There’s also no “current rules” to handing someone an Olympic spot without a qualifying tournament.

It’s Morris’ spot if he wants it. He won the last Olympic gold medal and has been consistently top end in MD competitions. It’s an easy sell.

12-26-21 06:01PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
It’s Morris’ spot if he wants it. He won the last Olympic gold medal

Walker/Muyres has earned 3 WCF-sanctioned medals for Canada in this Olympic cycle: bronze at 2018 WMDCC, gold at 2018 CWC-1 (Suzhou, China), and silver at 2019 CWC-GF (Beijing, China).

To me, this is the obvious choice, if we're looking at resume at international mixed doubles event together as a team during this quadrennial.

12-26-21 06:03PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

' Good results, though didn't win nationals'.

To try and justify one's pick on something like 'they're going to be there anyway' is, at best, beyond the pale. Yes, it's true S/K have never won a 'National'. What you fail to point out, however, is they've also never been to the finals of any Mixed Doubles event, major or minor, let alone win it, or have they they ever qualified for the semi-finals of any event, period.

To place them in the same hack with H/M, P/G or W/M who have m/d success/ achievement, well you're dead, flat wrong.

12-26-21 07:51PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Team Bobebe

St-Georges & Asselin won the Brantford Mixed Doubles Cash Spiel earlier this month. Most of the top teams were there and the Quebecers went through the event undefeated. It wouldn't be wrong to include them in the conversation.

12-26-21 08:33PM
alfogo7 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alfogo7 Find more posts by alfogo7 Add alfogo7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alfogo7
Knee-Slider

If it can't be Peterman and Gallant, but they want to have curlers who are already in a bubble, what about having Kennedy and Weagle partner up? Albeit with a lack of experience together, but a pretty formidable team with its two individuals.

12-26-21 10:02PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Wtf???
We can have 40 international hockey players on the ice at the same time in alberta. But, we can’t have 4 curlers on one sheet of ice in Manitoba????
Something wrong with this picture.