Germany (7)
Norway Final
Italy (8)
Denmark Final
Switzerland (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-11-16 05:17PM
jtphoto2020 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jtphoto2020 Click here to Send jtphoto2020 a Private Message Visit jtphoto2020's homepage! Find more posts by jtphoto2020 Add jtphoto2020 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jtphoto2020
Harvey Hacksmasher

My solution is this: Take the top four in OOM points and the winner of Nationals (if it's someone outside the top four in OOM) and have a short round-robin type playoff for the right to go to worlds.

This rewards the teams who put in the grind to earn points, but also makes sure the that the team who goes to Worlds is peaking at the right time. Most likely the winner of Nationals would be one of the top OOM teams, but if not, they have to prove themselves twice to make sure winning Nationals was not a fluke. If they beat those top teams twice in a row then deserve to go.

The "World Trials" would be held in a central location and the teams travel expenses would be paid by the USCA/USOC so the extra tournament wouldn't cause extra expenses.

This would ensure that the best team from the season who is peaking at the right time goes to Worlds. That should give us our best chance which is the whole point of all this right?

Then Nationals are now essentially separate from the World team selection and a team like Brady Clarke has a fair chance to earn the berth to Worlds by being a team that performed well all year and peaked at the right time.

As of January 30th, the top four are Shuster, Brown, Clark and Birr. They would be in the playoff and if Dropkin were to win Nationals they would be as well. All of those top four OOM teams have World/Olympic experience and would be good representatives at Worlds. And if Dropkin could beat them all twice then how could you argue they aren't the best bet?

If that's too complicated (and it seems pretty straightforward to me) then just make the Nationals the end point and give the world berth to the top OOM team. End of story.

And one more thing - my solution completely takes HP out of the conversation and that should make everyone happy! HP does their thing and makes the best teams possible. Then those teams go out and win or lose on the ice like everybody else. Yes, it is time-consuming and expensive for the non-HP teams to earn the points, but that's just how it goes. Clark and Birr did it this year and others can too.

Last edited by jtphoto2020 on 02-11-16 at 05:25PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-11-16 05:29PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so with shuster guaranteed to finish top 4 will he be team USA a worlds no matter what or if brown wins will he get to go?

02-11-16 05:52PM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jtphoto2020
My solution is this: Take the top four in OOM points and the winner of Nationals (if it's someone outside the top four in OOM) and have a short round-robin type playoff for the right to go to worlds.

This rewards the teams who put in the grind to earn points, but also makes sure the that the team who goes to Worlds is peaking at the right time. Most likely the winner of Nationals would be one of the top OOM teams, but if not, they have to prove themselves twice to make sure winning Nationals was not a fluke. If they beat those top teams twice in a row then deserve to go.

The "World Trials" would be held in a central location and the teams travel expenses would be paid by the USCA/USOC so the extra tournament wouldn't cause extra expenses.

This would ensure that the best team from the season who is peaking at the right time goes to Worlds. That should give us our best chance which is the whole point of all this right?

Then Nationals are now essentially separate from the World team selection and a team like Brady Clarke has a fair chance to earn the berth to Worlds by being a team that performed well all year and peaked at the right time.

As of January 30th, the top four are Shuster, Brown, Clark and Birr. They would be in the playoff and if Dropkin were to win Nationals they would be as well. All of those top four OOM teams have World/Olympic experience and would be good representatives at Worlds. And if Dropkin could beat them all twice then how could you argue they aren't the best bet?

If that's too complicated (and it seems pretty straightforward to me) then just make the Nationals the end point and give the world berth to the top OOM team. End of story.

And one more thing - my solution completely takes HP out of the conversation and that should make everyone happy! HP does their thing and makes the best teams possible. Then those teams go out and win or lose on the ice like everybody else. Yes, it is time-consuming and expensive for the non-HP teams to earn the points, but that's just how it goes. Clark and Birr did it this year and others can too.

Please don't take offense to this, but I really think that an extra event is an awful idea.

USOC will not foot the bill, unless you mean by default from the money they already give the USCA annually. The USCA already operates on a thin budget that last year saw the cutting of streaming video coverage until private funding accomplished it. So paying for a venue and ice techs to put on this event sounds like a bankrupting idea from the get go. Now add athlete expenses to that and what not, and I think we might as well triple our dues or scratch this one off the board.

02-11-16 05:56PM
jtphoto2020 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jtphoto2020 Click here to Send jtphoto2020 a Private Message Visit jtphoto2020's homepage! Find more posts by jtphoto2020 Add jtphoto2020 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jtphoto2020
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by youngen

Please don't take offense to this, but I really think that an extra event is an awful idea.

USOC will not foot the bill, unless you mean by default from the money they already give the USCA annually. The USCA already operates on a thin budget that last year saw the cutting of streaming video coverage until private funding accomplished it. So paying for a venue and ice techs to put on this event sounds like a bankrupting idea from the get go. Now add athlete expenses to that and what not, and I think we might as well triple our dues or scratch this one off the board.

No offense taken at all! I'm just trying to come up with possible solutions to a problem that everyone seems willing to complain about but I do not see many solutions being offered. I agree that adding another event would be a challenge which is why maybe you just take the top OOM team and call it good.

My number one goal is to eliminate the ambiguity of the current system.

02-11-16 07:36PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Looking on as an outsider, I'm still wondering just what the "point" is of assigning points at all (at least on an annual basis)?

If you need to accumulate points, then make it for something more realistic. If the USCA doesn't want to finance, for example an Olympic Qualifying Bonspiel, then points could be used to determine your Olympic reps. (although Canada's Olympic Qualifier gets a very good crowd).

Looking at your major rinks, we tend to see the same faces every year (hint: I was at the old Winnipeg Arena when Debbie defeated Colleen-that was the last American World Title (not counting Junior/Senior) and we should have seen more new rinks on the top step-or at least the second step by now).

The successful American rinks continue to be the ones that comprise players from the same area who got themselves together (I know that Erika lives up here but she's the exception that proves the rule). What was the rationale for having some committee decide who plays with whom and shouldn't the success (or lack thereof) of this committee have been evaluated by now...as in what would "The Donald" day?

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 02-12-16 at 12:24PM

02-11-16 07:49PM
birvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for birvin Click here to Send birvin a Private Message Visit birvin's homepage! Find more posts by birvin Add birvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
I'm just trying to come up with possible solutions to a problem that everyone seems willing to complain about but I do not see many solutions being offered.

I'm pretty sure that many people have offered an alternative solution. Here it is again: just send the freakin' national champion to worlds.

02-11-16 08:26PM
birvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for birvin Click here to Send birvin a Private Message Visit birvin's homepage! Find more posts by birvin Add birvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
But how do Elite Curling and Club Curling relate to each other? I would contend that in the US, they are completely not linked, except for the obvious fact they they both are curling.

Yikes, that seems cynical.

I think maybe if you assume that USA will continue to do poorly in international competitions then sure, there is very little or no link. But man, if USA wins a medal someday, we will see a push of interest in curling and the link will be clear.

To reach that podium USA should somehow take advantage of its large base (20,000 and growing!) of curlers. A larger base in theory should eventually deliver a deeper talent pool of elite curlers. Whoops, there's another link. Hey, those two links make a cycle!

02-12-16 11:56AM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

There is no link except every 4 years when Olympic curling is televised. That seems to create a groundswell of interest, regardless of how well USA does. In non-Olympic years, most club curlers do not even know that nationals are being played.

02-12-16 01:29PM
ChiefIceMinion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefIceMinion Click here to Send ChiefIceMinion a Private Message Find more posts by ChiefIceMinion Add ChiefIceMinion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChiefIceMinion
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by birvin

Yikes, that seems cynical.

I think maybe if you assume that USA will continue to do poorly in international competitions then sure, there is very little or no link. But man, if USA wins a medal someday, we will see a push of interest in curling and the link will be clear.

If the USA wins a medal someday (at Worlds) that will not result in a push of interest in curling, as the media coverage of curling is not widespread enough to provide the publicity.

The US team won a medal at the 2006 Olympics, but the 2010 and 2014 Olympics saw larger open house turnouts (at least at our club) due to increased media coverage (more draws on TV and at more "viewable" times) of the sport during the Games despite the teams all bombing out.

I'd argue that the only link between elite and club curling is media exposure, not success at the international level.

02-12-16 01:50PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefIceMinion

I'd argue that the only link between elite and club curling is media exposure, not success at the international level.

Exactly. It was different years ago when competitive curlers played club bonspiels and had to advance through club/district/state play to get to nationals. But now competitive curlers are much better served by playing better competition available in cash spiels and there are no longer any state champions for clubs to support.

Whether or not USA medals at world level is an issue only to the extent that it impacts media coverage in the US. As long as curling continues to be that quirky media favorite every 4 years, USA performance at Worlds and Olympics matters only to USCA and USOC.

02-12-16 01:50PM
Fourscore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fourscore Click here to Send Fourscore a Private Message Find more posts by Fourscore Add Fourscore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fourscore
Knee-Slider

When parents see US medalists in curling on TV they are more willing to invest money and volunteer time to those programs because there is a perceived payout for hard work and dedication to the sport. If you look at the largest youth based athletic programs football,hockey,soccer,baseball... there is a lot of money poured into camps, sponsorships, and equipment. The reason that so much money is spent is to put on a college application, talk about on a first date or discuss in a job interview. So from that aspect there is definitely a visible connection between success at the Olympic level and club level. Especially in the development of high school and junior curling programs as a status symbol.

The Olympic dream is as American as apple pie, but it is centered on the idea that an athlete can go from amateur to Olympian without being a professional athlete if they try hard enough. If people are told that no matter how hard you try you will never be an Olympic curler you lose the people who want to join to be competitive and what is left is people who want to drink beer. US curling needs to insensitivize competition not recreation. More golf less mini golf.

02-12-16 03:55PM
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
The US team won a medal at the 2006 Olympics, but the 2010 and 2014 Olympics saw larger open house turnouts

OK, but what would the turnouts have been if USA had also won medals in 2010 and 2014? I think medals would have brought much more publicity and even bigger turnouts at open houses.

IOW, there's a link. More USA curling success at the international level begets more curlers in the USA.

And there is a link in the other direction: increasing numbers of USA curlers deepens the talent pool and leads to more USA success at the international level. (I totally understand the argument that some current USA Curling policies weaken this link)

02-12-16 04:56PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Fourscore
When parents see US medalists in curling on TV they are more willing to invest money and volunteer time to those programs because there is a perceived payout for hard work and dedication to the sport. If you look at the largest youth based athletic programs football,hockey,soccer,baseball... there is a lot of money poured into camps, sponsorships, and equipment. The reason that so much money is spent is to put on a college application, talk about on a first date or discuss in a job interview. So from that aspect there is definitely a visible connection between success at the Olympic level and club level. Especially in the development of high school and junior curling programs as a status symbol.

The Olympic dream is as American as apple pie, but it is centered on the idea that an athlete can go from amateur to Olympian without being a professional athlete if they try hard enough. If people are told that no matter how hard you try you will never be an Olympic curler you lose the people who want to join to be competitive and what is left is people who want to drink beer. US curling needs to insensitivize competition not recreation. More golf less mini golf.

I would like to down vote this entire comment. You offer a lot of "facts" but no statistics to back anything up, and I feel like most of them are flat out wrong. I would venture a guess that most parents get theirs kids into activities that the kids show interest in, or into an activity that their kids friends are involved in. Maybe sign their kids up for an activity that they themselves used to participate in, to try to create a parent child bond.

02-12-16 06:39PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

A healthy and wide ranging discussion. Forgive me if I interrupt and go back to Men's Nationals for just a brief minute. I really don't mean to stop the give-and-take.

Face beats Brownie to get to the Finals and another crack at Brady.

Face, in my humble opinion, is the best team in the nation by a considerable amount. Brady, in my estimation, is the second best team in the nation by a considerable amount (Brownie's close, but then there is a dropoff). Yet Brady has a distinct advantage in this game because they are way more attune to the latest in Directional Sweeping. The Directional Sweeping seems to ruin as many line calls as it helps for Face Team (however, TyGer George is running a really good house for their skip's rocks). The B Bunch, on the other hand, seem to just play around with it and almost laugh. Obviously they've worked long and worked hard at it.

So an intriguing matchup.

The over/under on the WCF coming out with new sweeping rules is Wednesday noon Greenwich Mean Time. This ain't curlin' and they won't tolerate it at Worlds. I expect horsehair will be banned. I suspect hair under 1.5 inches will be banned. I suspect walking behind the rock will be banned as will switching sides mid-shot. I suspect sweeping that isn't more perpendicular to the path will get a penalty of No Sweeping Your Next Stone. I'm just glad I'm not on the Rules Committee.

I think icemakers can help neutralize Directional Sweeping, but I have run no trials. Step 1: Throw away that (expletive) sandpaper. Step 2: Get you curl from a larger pebble size using your Coarse pebblehead. We will all lose a second or two of speed, but we'll also lose the snowflake effect when those rocks come out of the sandpaper effect.

This is not to say that the only reason the B Bunch might win is the sweeping. They had a great end to the year and came into this as serious contenders before the horsehair even left the broom bags.

Ben Tucker

02-12-16 07:22PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I'll take the "Over" on that "when will WCF post rules" action.

THey aren't gonna make that huge of a change to conditions of play between National selections and Worlds...that's unfair to the max.

They'll make rules in the offseason...I think you're about smack dab on what the rules will be...I'll be interested in knowing if we are now going to have to start bringing back "hog line" officials, only now to watch for sweeping violations...we dropped those when we went Eye On The Hog...but the sweeping rules are gonna need enforcers.

02-12-16 07:57PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

If the bet is "Before Worlds or After Worlds", Alan, you have a bet. I suspect that you already owe me a drink from sometime or other. We'll call this one double or nothing.

No way they let this stuff into Worlds.

Ben Tucker

02-12-16 08:01PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Come to Worlds in Vegas in 2018 and I'll buy you a curling stone (assuming they bring that drink back...and judging from the way it was selling at the Continental Cup...it's a safe bet)

02-12-16 09:46PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Come to Worlds in Vegas in 2018 and I'll buy you a curling stone (assuming they bring that drink back...and judging from the way it was selling at the Continental Cup...it's a safe bet)

Ask em' to take the insert out though, ha ha.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

02-12-16 10:59PM
pal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pal Find more posts by pal Add pal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pal
Harvey Hacksmasher

Curling is, and has always been a team sport.

Balance, and weight control are still required to throw a rock at the top level.

Reading ice, proper strategy, and making key line calls are still required to skip at the top level.

Sweeping still requires fitness and athleticism. Skill and technique.

If anything the new sweeping makes curling more of a team sport.

I think undoing this evolution to the game is a mistake.

02-13-16 08:39AM
draway8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for draway8 Find more posts by draway8 Add draway8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
draway8
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by pal

Balance, and weight control are still required to throw a rock at the top level.

Reading ice, proper strategy, and making key line calls are still required to skip at the top level.

Yes! I agree.

02-13-16 09:38AM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by pal

I also agree. I frankly don't see the problem.

02-13-16 11:31AM
Medvedev is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Medvedev Click here to Send Medvedev a Private Message Find more posts by Medvedev Add Medvedev to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Medvedev
Knee-Slider

If we wanted to make it about athleticism we'd go back to sweeping corn. One sweeper at a time isn't an advancement that furthers athleticism.

02-13-16 07:31PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

Brady the fifth at worlds?? :-) Maybe?

(ok, let's be honest, The USCA HPP is all cronyism, so it won't be Brady)...

02-13-16 07:41PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

I recall a comment sometime ago on here about recommending a sports psychologist. From hearing a certain someones comments on the mic during the finals (someone out on the ice), I would have to agree with that recommendation...

Last edited by IMWright on 02-13-16 at 08:05PM

02-13-16 07:53PM
Medvedev is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Medvedev Click here to Send Medvedev a Private Message Find more posts by Medvedev Add Medvedev to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Medvedev
Knee-Slider

Some of the talk on the ice was pretty cringe worthy. Hamilton asks Shuster in the 4th end, drawing for 1 down 3-0, "Can we win down 2 without (the hammer)?". Dude, it's the 4th end!