Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > What's your "I can't believe I just noticed this for the first time ever!" story?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
06-17-20 10:03PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

What's your "I can't believe I just noticed this for the first time ever!" story?

I just realized today that yes, WCF actually does have a rule to match uniform and stone color (rule C3a).

So Canada wears the (predominantly) white jerseys when they're throwing yellow stones, and the red jerseys when they're throwing red stones.

Similarly, Sweden wears yellow throwing yellow, and blue throwing red.

I can't believe it took me this long to realize this. Of course I've always been a slow learner. It was at least a month before I realized that the stones are rotating (I blame it on how I was initially introduced to the sport, which is through heavy weight circus shot highlights).

What are some of your own late revelation moments regarding the sport?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-17-20 10:28PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I couldn't find anything in WCF rulebook regarding this, so I'm going to ask: is the extra end traditionally played to the home end?

WCF rule is explicit that the first end is played "going away". It flip flops every end, so the 10th end is played "coming home" (hence the phrase). But if an extra end is needed, which direction is it played?

I ask because I've seen footage (usually livestreams from clubs instead of high production TV broadcasts) where all 16 stones are sent away to start the extra end, so that the extra end is played "coming home", just as it would if it were the final end in regulation time.

I haven't checked to see if this is always done everywhere, though (is it?).

06-18-20 07:31PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I guess they could push them down to play them home, but usually, they just play them away and kick them home after the EE. It could be another obscure TV rule, like the rocks matching outfits one.

06-19-20 02:38PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I just checked 2019 and 2020 Scotties final, and they definitely played the 11th away (house logos are Scotties/Cashmere vs Purex/SpongeTowel). The 2020 World Junior Championship semifinal also played the 11th away (house letters in English vs Cyrillic).

In fact I can only think of one example where the extra is played coming home, and that was Canad Inns Classic.
https://youtu.be/NGGuzIzfxhg
(Watch last seconds of the 8th where they send the rocks back up the sheet to play EE).

This was played in a club, not an arena, so maybe that's the deciding factor? I believe most clubs have the glass wall audience in one end and just a solid wall in the other end, so maybe there's more of a reason to play the decisive last end coming home, I'll check for more games from Canad Inns and report later.

Last edited by curlingclips on 06-19-20 at 02:42PM

06-19-20 02:59PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Yep there you go, another one from Canad Inns, where they send the rocks up to play extra coming home.

https://youtu.be/fd6XiGE6ZDg?t=2h28m50s

Very interesting situation here. The Koreans were about to send the rocks away, but then aborted when it seemed like the Scots didn't think it was necessary. An official then told them to send the rocks away.

So yeah this is definitely a thing and it can be somewhat confusing/inconsistent. I wonder how this affects play strategically (ice condition vs preferred turn, etc.)

In fact, that's partially how Homan lost vs Stern in 2019 final, who stole the 9th. One side of the sheet is straighter than the other, so you wonder if things would've played differently had they played the extra going the other way.

https://youtu.be/cnQwYdAKdvQ

Last edited by curlingclips on 06-19-20 at 03:12PM

06-19-20 03:06PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

You'll find quite often in smaller spiels, especially those in clubs, will push the rocks down so they can play back towards the glass so the spectators can see better.

06-19-20 03:24PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I've never stepped inside a curling club. How many has those mirrors over the house on the away end? Is this quite rare generally, or is it common in bigger more established multi-sheet clubs?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about from Switzerland
https://youtu.be/9KdBMoMQd0M

06-19-20 04:53PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

A lot of clubs have overhead cameras above the rings that can be viewed on tv screens inside the club. Even switch back and forth to each end

06-19-20 05:07PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

We have had several minor provincial finals in our club and they played rocks " towards the home end/ glass" just for the benefit of spectators.
We now also have overhead cameras that transmit to in lounge tvs. No mirrors needed. One camera per set of rings.

06-19-20 05:39PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade
We have had several minor provincial finals in our club and they played rocks " towards the home end/ glass" just for the benefit of spectators.

You made it sound like they played those finals coming home EVERY END. Is that what you meant?

This two houses at opposite ends of the sheet thing is probably natural to most of you at this point, but believe me, it was slightly confusing for newcomers the first time they see it. Or at least that was the case for me.

I think I've seen some sheets with "short" houses too, so that'd be more than 2 houses per sheet. I don't remember where I saw this, or why it was even done in the first place.

//edit: found it! Granite Club in Seattle

2 sheets have short houses just before far hog lines. 2 sheets have mid houses halfway down the sheet, which apparently allows a fun "social distancing" game to be played where teams are throwing from opposite hacks. Center sheet is traditional.

Another example from Brampton just has one special sheet with 5(!!!) houses, and straight lines out of the hack, probably to help guide you to slide straight for beginners.

Last example, Broomstones have the extra houses fully-painted! (not just outlines).

Last edited by curlingclips on 06-19-20 at 09:49PM

06-20-20 04:16PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

No just for the extra end.
Every end? That would just be plain silly.

06-22-20 04:10PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

No other similar stories?

How long did it take you guys to realize that the ice is pebbled?

I have a friend who thought that curlers wear bladed/ice skating shoes.

06-22-20 09:05PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
I have a friend who thought that curlers wear bladed/ice skating shoes.
Years ago, (a few decades, let's say) I had a friend, a PhysEd grad from Florida, who thought curling required skates. #NoGuff

06-22-20 10:45PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Trace your family tree. You are definitely descendants from Cape Breton with "No guff"

06-25-20 06:53PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Trace your family tree. You are definitely descendants from Cape Breton with "No guff"
Haha. Must be the Scottish heritage in common. Settlers went to S.Ont and then Western Manitoba in the wayBack machine. I really thought it was a NorthEnd thing! All curlers though. #OhYeah. #BigTIme.

07-23-20 02:56PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I didn't notice this from observation. I read it in WCF rule C8 on stone assignment.

The team listed first in draw schedule plays dark colored handles, the team listed second plays light colored handles.

Now, that's not exactly the same as saying whoever is on the first row of the scoreboard is red and whoever is on the second row is yellow, but a quick survey does confirm that this is true!

So if say a game in world championship is listed officially as SUI vs SWE, you can deduce that Switzerland wears red plays red, and Sweden wears yellow plays yellow. https://youtu.be/FRGwJ9J6e88

If it's SWE vs SUI then Sweden wears blue plays red, and Switzerland wears white plays yellow. https://youtu.be/z8EvJRbYDgo

(Note: technically the uniforms are simply dark vs light colors. So SWE vs SUI, Sweden could wear red and Switzerland wears yellow. I don't think the rules say anything about matching the colors with national identities.)

(Similarly I guess the rocks could be black vs white too, not unlike othello/go/chess)

Last edited by curlingclips on 07-23-20 at 03:32PM

07-26-20 07:56PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

TIL "wrong side of the inch" is pretty much a curling phrase.

It sounded generic enough that you'd think athletes from many other sports use this cliche, but no, I couldn't find any quote of this phrase used outside of curling.

The closest thing I found is this usage within the context of CFL (football), but it acknowledges that the phrase comes from curling.
https://www.cfl.ca/2014/10/01/irvin...l-in-the-fight/

quote:
Curlers call it “being on the right side of the inch.” And they were defying the football odds by winning games in which they committed more turnovers than their opposition.

Since they rallied to beat the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 27-26 in Hamilton on July 31st, not many things have gone their way and in curling jargon, they have been “on the wrong side of the inch.”

Please prove me wrong if you can, because this is blowing my mind.

Funny thing is I still don't quite know what it means.

Last edited by curlingclips on 07-26-20 at 08:02PM

07-28-20 03:41PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
[i]Funny thing is I still don't quite know what it means. [/B]

Wrong/right side of the inch is a statement of luck. We played as well as we could but lost the game. We were on the wrong side of the inch tonight. Or, It was a great game, they played as well as we did. We were on the right side of the inch tonight.

07-29-20 05:52AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

On another website discussing curling, I was given the explanation that "wrong side of the inch" at least started quite literally.

Imagine two opposing stones sitting about an inch from the pin. Eyeball or ruler measurement would say that they're an inch from the pin, but which one is closer?

You bring out the micrometer to get a more accurate comparison, and one rock wins out by a smidge! So one rock is maybe 1.001 inch from the pin, and the other rock is maybe 0.999 inch from the pin.

I'll let you figure out which one is on the "wrong side" and which one is on the "right side" of the inch.

07-31-20 12:35PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Curling has always been government by good sportsmanship; albeit a few exceptions like Orest Meleschuk at the 1972 Worlds.

Easy now. Orest's last rock rolled back 8 and the US third raised his arms and then the skip came running in, jumped, slipped and kicked the rock. Orest never looked so what's he supposed to do, take the guy's word for it even though the third never stopped to take a close look? Now, I think the US was right judging only by the Canadian third's dejected posture and the second looks like he's taking off his glove to shake hands but if you were in Orest's shoes would you give up a world championship on the US third's brief look? Labonte never looked closely either as he was at the back of the sheet before running in. I also read a story that said that Labonte didn't think he hit the rock at the time and so they measured it where it lay and Canada won the measure. Not sure about that as he clearly kicks the rock and why would there be a controversy if he said he never moved it and then lost the measure? It should also be noted that it Canada also stole the extra end.
There is a clip from CBC as it happens that shows a glimpse of the US rock behind the Canadian third's legs, maybe some tech savvy video analyst could measure it somehow. If you check it out you will also see an awesome clip of the Big O throwing a rock while smoking a cigarette!

Last edited by hogged again on 07-31-20 at 12:55PM