Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Will Curl BC investigate Kamloops Disaster?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-19-22 03:29PM
CynCurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CynCurling Click here to Send CynCurling a Private Message Visit CynCurling's homepage! Find more posts by CynCurling Add CynCurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CynCurling
Knee-Slider

I don’t have a question. I just thought maybe you had something better todo with your time. I understand now where you reputation comes from.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-19-22 05:27PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

🤣 that's a fantasticly lame attempt at an ad hominem, gaslight attack. Well, you're too late to the party with that because, as mentioned, Curl BC was already investigating this shortly after they began getting the reports of positive test results.

Meanwhile, why don't you answer the question I posed: so you feel that there was justification for some curlers to ignore the protocols thst others adhered to?

01-19-22 10:36PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Sure hope we follow
The U.K.‘s lead in a couple weeks. They realize what the trend is.

01-20-22 07:49AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Sure hope we follow
The U.K.‘s lead in a couple weeks. They realize what the trend is.

But these decisions are provincial and none of the premiers need to distract from a career ending scandal at the moment so they might be more patient. (Though Ford already pre-announced easings for Jan 31.)

I do find the ending of mask wearing in the UK pretty silly. It's such an easy step for things like stores, etc. But then again masks have never bothered me because I'm generally the kind of person who doesn't get triggered by stuff like that. I know for some people it is completely mentally debilitating to even contemplate mask wearing.

01-20-22 10:54AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Much more to the uk’s decision than eliminating mask wearing.
I’m thinking more of the ridiculous rules that you can go into stores elbow to elbow, but you can’t curl if your un vaxxed.
You can go to church, or a jets game, but you can’t have more than 2 households for Xmas.
There are deadlier viruses that we live with everyday . Time to get back to normal. What’s with the drinking establishments having to close at 11:00p.m. Is that a shift change time for a more powerful virus????

01-20-22 11:00AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:

There are deadlier viruses that we live with everyday .

Such as?

01-20-22 11:26AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie

Such as?

Influenza

01-20-22 11:51AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

If you're 3-dose vaccinated against COVID-19, and not vaccinated against influenza, then that may be true now, guido. Or close to it, anyway.

If you're not vaccinated against COVID, it's still by far the deadlier disease than influenza.

01-20-22 12:11PM
bpm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bpm Click here to Send bpm a Private Message Find more posts by bpm Add bpm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpm
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
There are deadlier viruses that we live with everyday

That's a really poor piece of reasoning, and an awful fact to perpetuate.

The only things causing a larger death count worldwide since the start of 2020 were heart disease and stroke.
Neither of those are viruses, and no one suffering from them can infect others.

A lot of people like to refer to COVID as "just like a bad flu." It's worth remembering that the seasonal flu virtually disappeared, globally, during the Northern Hemisphere's winter months of 2020. It was absolutely unprecedented. Restrictions on movement, social distancing and mask-wearing seem to be the most likely reasons for that. But whatever the contributing factors were, they failed to halt COVID in it's tracks. So it is very demonstrably not like the flu.

People also refer to Omicron as a less severe variant. That may be true, or it may not be true, and rather we are witnessing the benefit of a vaccinated global population better equipped to respond to it. It is likely some combination of both. But a lot of people are still dying from it, because a heck of a lot more people are catching it.

Finally, regarding the points about which activities we should and shouldn't be permitted to take part in. Some studies have shown that you actually have the highest risk of catching COVID at the grocery store. So why can you shop there for food, but you can't go to a pub or restaurant? Because the government can't shut down grocery stores without cutting off basic food supplies from the population, but they can shut down pubs and restaurants with minimal effect on society (when combined with stimulus/subsidies to affected business owners and employees, of course). They only have so many feasible societal levers they can pull on, and short-term policies that attempt to impact a large population are by nature a very broad brush to paint with. It's impossible to consider every potential implication, and even if you did, you would still have to pick winners and losers. And no matter what, compliance and enforcement doesn't automatically follow decision-making by default (in other words, I'm sure the people who want to bend the rules are finding plenty of ways to do it).

Like everyone I hope this thing is over soon. And like most, I understand that restrictions are a trade-off between reducing COVID (and it's strain on global healthcare systems) but negatively impacting virtually all other aspects of society, and at a certain point we cannot continue that trade-off in perpetuity. This is especially true when we've done everything we can to protect society through vaccination and reasonable social measures like mask-wearing. I actually think we're close to that point.

But this is one of the worst viruses we have witnessed in our lifetimes, and it shouldn't be reduced to a dismissible annoyance. And no one should claim themselves as experts or make authoritative statements about a virus that is still burning very brightly and subject to further mutations. As ready as I am to be done with it, I would never, ever have the cheek to downplay the continued death and suffering of so many people. The worst of it might not be impacting your world, and you and those you know might have escaped it with minimal effect. Consider yourself lucky if that's the case.

I have no problem with individuals who wish to make their own choices about vaccinations, or the level of social activities they are comfortable with. But when falsehoods are being spread around freely like facts, that's dangerous.

Finally, our sport has been fortunate enough to successfully hold certain high-profile events in controlled "bubble" environments. But at a few events, they've failed, despite every effort to plan and execute very good strategies. But so did the World Junior Hockey Championships, with all their clout and resources. Even the best laid plans fail when people don't cooperate. And in that vein, while their plans may not have been perfect, they were never going to be, and some of the criticism here towards Curl BC might not be fair. I think the highest criticism should be reserved for those who feel themselves above it all, unwilling to accept or follow guidelines that might allow for success to be possible, and eager to propagate their opinion that these damned restrictions should no longer be required and we should just get the hell on with it. That line of thinking will not lead to more positive outcomes in the sport, and it certainly isn't going to change the minds of any decision-makers.

Last edited by bpm on 01-20-22 at 12:15PM

01-20-22 12:18PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
If you're 3-dose vaccinated against COVID-19, and not vaccinated against influenza, then that may be true now, guido. Or close to it, anyway.

If you're not vaccinated against COVID, it's still by far the deadlier disease than influenza.

I agree with you.
Also, the Omicron variant is much less deadly than the previous variants. This is what I am comparing to.

01-20-22 01:20PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:

I agree with you.
Also, the Omicron variant is much less deadly than the previous variants. This is what I am comparing to.

Covid isn’t binary. It’s not a case of you either fully recover or you die. Some people are dying from Omicron so it’s like playing Russian Roulette.

What’s your source for influenza being more deadly than Covid?

01-20-22 06:14PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Sorry, I should have said equally as deadly.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...e/PIIS0140-6736(22)00100-3/fulltext