Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-05-22 03:18PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Alberta playdowns

Going to form chart so far. Koe-Sturmay in A qualifier in men's. Walker, Scheidegger and Roque pretty much already qualified for the championship top 3 in women's.
My SN schedule has only the finals in both on Sunday, no semis televised which is a bummer.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-05-22 03:55PM
haigins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for haigins Find more posts by haigins Add haigins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
haigins
Knee-Slider

SN is covering the Semi. Check their website it's there (SN1)

01-05-22 05:51PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by haigins
SN is covering the Semi. Check their website it's there (SN1)

You are correct. I only checked the SN regionals and ignored SN1. Thanks.

01-05-22 07:44PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

Good last few ends in the Scheidegger-Walker game could be a finals preview.

01-06-22 09:26PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

John Morris & Ben Hebert are commentating this game - just started 8:00 p.m. Manitoba time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG8Rxq8SRzQ

01-07-22 12:50PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

Not a fan of Hebert or JohnnyMo but they did a really good job announcing the Roque-Walker game. Best part was when Walker had a long timeout and the announcers kept quiet and let us listen to the team for almost the entire timeout. TSN crew would have listened for about 10 seconds and then Russ and Cheryl would've been tripping over each other explaining the possible calls.
Benny has a future in the booth and I think he'd be a good play by play replacement for Vic, JMo not so much but it was an entertaining broadcast.

01-08-22 10:25PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Just a viewer. However The more I hear Kevin Martin , with the worst ever decision in the history of curling ever, in Moncton at the worlds......let’s just throw it away. How does he ever give his advice to anybody, EVER!. Go back to your cave and shut up. Great curler. Terrible strategist. Go home. Those who can do.

01-08-22 10:41PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Just a viewer. However The more I hear Kevin Martin , with the worst ever decision in the history of curling ever, in Moncton at the worlds......let’s just throw it away. How does he ever give his advice to anybody, EVER!. Go back to your cave and shut up. Great curler. Terrible strategist. Go home. Those who can do.

Also just a viewer. Can't disagree more with this. Kevin is excellent on any telecast. Does not show any bias towards any team. Can't say the same about Russ Howard unfortunately but that is another path I do not need to go down again. If Kevin is considered a terrible strategist for one situation in his career, that would be silly.

01-08-22 11:07PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy

Also just a viewer. Can't disagree more with this. Kevin is excellent on any telecast. Does not show any bias towards any team. Can't say the same about Russ Howard unfortunately but that is another path I do not need to go down again. If Kevin is considered a terrible strategist for one situation in his career, that would be silly.

Just ask the rest of his team that threw their flowers behind the stage and stuck their medals in their pockets. I was there. 3 rows back. . I was ashamed on behalf of Canada. Disbelief.

01-09-22 09:17AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:

Just ask the rest of his team that threw their flowers behind the stage and stuck their medals in their pockets. I was there. 3 rows back. . I was ashamed on behalf of Canada. Disbelief.

I don't doubt that happened. One bad and costly decision in his career. And I bet all 3 of those guys never think of Kevin as a bad strategist.

01-09-22 09:26AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:

What?
Are you commenting on 12 time Brier qualifier, 3 time Olympian, World, and Olympic Champion, pretty well THE most accomplished curler in the history of the sport.....That Kevin Martin?

As the official spokesman on behalf of the curlers of Canada, my response is:
Ha ha..

01-09-22 11:19AM
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Is anyone having problems getting into the Sask Webcast this morning?

01-09-22 12:09PM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Scheidigger v Walker at 11am MDT. Appelman v Koe at 8pm. Both on Sportsnet.

Women’s final should be a good game. Would be surprised if the men’s final went the distance.

01-09-22 12:39PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
Scheidigger v Walker at 11am MDT. Appelman v Koe at 8pm. Both on Sportsnet.

Women’s final should be a good game. Would be surprised if the men’s final went the distance.

Yes the Walker/Scheidegger tilt is a toss up. Scheidegger has better front end but Walker has edge at third. Both skips about equal although I've seen Walker make the big clutch shot more often. It's bizarre that Walker does not get hammer to start the game.
Koe has steamrolled the event while Appleman has played a bunch more games and could have a good feel for the ice. Pulling for the underdog but wouldn't bet a nickel on it.

01-09-22 03:42PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
It's bizarre that Walker does not get hammer to start the game.

Maybe bizarre by Canadian sensibilities, but this is at least consistent with WCF rules, for better or worse.

Walker and Scheidegger have equal win/loss record, so hammer goes to Scheidegger, because she beat Walker in round robin.

Scheidegger could've declined LSFE and pick color instead, but that almost never happens.

In WCF rules, DSC practically almost never decides LSFE. It's either LSD, win/loss record, or head-to-head.

DSC is only used to decide LSFE if you have a double round robin format and the two teams are 1W-1L head-to-head.

01-09-22 04:00PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Maybe bizarre by Canadian sensibilities, but this is at least consistent with WCF rules, for better or worse.

Walker and Scheidegger have equal win/loss record, so hammer goes to Scheidegger, because she beat Walker in round robin.

If you are awarded first place after the round robin you should start the final with hammer.
And from what Kevin Martin said yesterday it did not matter that they had the same record. He said the hammer goes to the team that won the head to head so a team that snuck in the playoffs at 4-3 but beat the first place 6-1 team would have the hammer, Maybe he just didn't explain it fully but either way, 1st place should have hammer.

01-09-22 04:08PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

If you are awarded first place after the round robin you should start the final with hammer.
And from what Kevin Martin said yesterday it did not matter that they had the same record. He said the hammer goes to the team that won the head to head so a team that snuck in the playoffs at 4-3 but beat the first place 6-1 team would have the hammer, Maybe he just didn't explain it fully but either way, 1st place should have hammer.

The better record gets hammer in the final. Pretty simple. If tied, head to head winner gets hammer. Pretty simple.

01-09-22 04:11PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:

But Walker got 1st place only because of DSC.

So you have to make up your mind: do you want DSC to have bigger impact, or as minimal as possible?

From what I understand, lots of people complained about DSC when it was first introduced as a ranking mechanism. WCF is very careful in using DSC, only using it as a last resort, minimizing its impact at every step along the way.

Which way do you really want it? You can't have it both ways!

01-09-22 04:27PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Looks like DSC worked for Team Walker

01-09-22 04:34PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
And from what Kevin Martin said yesterday [...] Maybe he just didn't explain it fully

I don't know what Kevin Martin said, and commentators have been wrong before, but what we do know for sure is what you said, and what you said is wrong.

Bottcher beat Koe in championship pool of 2021 Brier. In the final rematch, 10W-2L Koe had LSFE over 9W-3L Bottcher.

01-09-22 04:53PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

I don't know what Kevin Martin said, and commentators have been wrong before, but what we do know for sure is what you said, and what you said is wrong.

Bottcher beat Koe in championship pool of 2021 Brier. In the final rematch, 10W-2L Koe had LSFE over 9W-3L Bottcher.

Perhaps Martin did not explain fully and could have added that the head 2 head only comes into play when the teams have the same record but I got the distinct impression that he meant that that that was not the case, that the head 2 head came into play no matter what. May be my misunderstanding, maybe not. You can't go by your example as the Brier and the Alberta playdowns are 2 different matters run by 2 different organizations that may or may not have the same rules.

01-09-22 04:57PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido

The better record gets hammer in the final. Pretty simple. If tied, head to head winner gets hammer. Pretty simple.

You are in 1st place after the round robin you get a bye to the final and hammer. Pretty simple.

01-09-22 05:09PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
You are in 1st place after the round robin you get a bye to the final and hammer. Pretty simple.

The principle that WCF abides by is that winning games is important, and you get maximum reward for it.

USA, CAN, and KOR were tied at 7W-6L at 2021 World Women's, with only 2 playoff spots left. USA and CAN beat KOR in round robin, so USA and CAN are rewarded with playoff spots, and KOR is eliminated, even though KOR had the best DSC of the 3.

Same principle applies here. Scheidegger, Rocque and Walker are tied at 6W-1L. They're deadlocked rock-paper-scissor style, so DSC is used to rank them, and Walker got a bye to the final. Scheidegger beat Walker in round robin, so in the rematch, Scheidegger got rewarded with LSFE.

Winning games is always more important than drawing to the button skill. That's how it should be, isn't it?

Maybe answer this basic premise question: do you think drawing to the button/LSD/DSC should have bigger impact in the game? Or should its impact be minimal?

Last edited by curlingclips on 01-09-22 at 05:24PM

01-09-22 05:25PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

The winner of the round robin (however that was decided) was the BEST team during the week and they get ALL the spoils. Bye to the final and hammer.

01-09-22 05:33PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

During round robin, we had 3 games:

Scheidegger > Walker
Walker > Rocque
Rocque > Scheidegger

I can't find the DSC report for 2022 Alberta provincials (and I didn't watch Sportsnet broadcast because I'm not Canadian) so let's speak hypothetically. Let's say that DSC ranks them as follows:

#1 Walker
#2 Scheidegger
#3 Rocque

So #1 Walker gets bye to the final.

Semifinal is between #2 and #3. Who should have hammer, according to you? Should it be #2 Scheidegger, because she's ranked higher? Or should it be Rocque, because Rocque beat Scheidegger?