Japan (EE)
Denmark 10  Final
Spain (8)
Estonia Final
Italy (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-29-20 11:18PM
weldit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for weldit Click here to Send weldit a Private Message Find more posts by weldit Add weldit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
weldit
Harvey Hacksmasher

Venue 2020 Brier

I have attended a world curling championshipevent, a couple of Roar of the Rings events and a half dozen or so Briers and have never been in a facility with such poor faciities for the spectators as the K Rock Center in Kingston where day1 is just wrapping up!
The location of the most uncomfortable seats i have ever had to endure was excellent but that was the only thing good about them and we departed after the 5th end of first draw and although we have tickets in same location are uncertain that we will return. On top of the uncomfortable seats were the unacceptable toilet facilities in both arena and Patch 3 urinals and a couple of stalls outside of Patch area and only washroom we attended in arena similar.
WE are not sure we will return to any draw due to above .... this will be my last Brier for sure. What a disappointment despite the excellent on ice performance by participants,
Organizers ha better do some closer scrutiny prior to awarding such a marvelous event to locations such as this one that I and hoprfjlly the majority of others would deem to be unacceptable.
After having said that I don't feel one bit better about it!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-01-20 08:17AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

Although the memory is fuzzy because of age, distance and booze I seem to remember the 'hated trough' at Taylor Field, and the line up where you danced and jived to hold it until you would get your turn to expel the alcohol you smuggled in to the Rider game.

Saskatoon almost had a civil war back in the eighties over location and size of a facility to replace The old "Barn" downtown. In the end they built an arena that remains a fantastic venue for watching anything. Unfortunately the "build it downtown' faction has baby fever again.

Sorry, off the subject of the Kingston arena's shortcomings other than to say the planning and approval debate over new needed facilities can be painful.

03-01-20 03:24PM
beaches43 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for beaches43 Find more posts by beaches43 Add beaches43 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
beaches43
Harvey Hacksmasher

washrooms

curl canada should put thr LEGEND scouting facilities,very knowldgeable plus knows everything about toilets

03-01-20 03:39PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Legend sounded a little flushed in his washroom review. The rest of his toilet reviews can be found on his trip advisor account call name. Royal flush.

03-02-20 01:36PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well they only want you drinking not eating in the Patch. Only One food counter that ran out by 12:30. Horrible washrooms and not big enough.

Last edited by curlerbroad on 03-02-20 at 03:46PM

03-03-20 09:08AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

From an American making a pilgrimage to Kingston - seating is REALLY tight.

I can’t imagine how uncomfortable a packed house would be. Patch is fun. Food there is hard to get. Really hard. I had to wait fifteen minutes for a hot dog. Need food trucks here or something.

03-03-20 11:27AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

From the comments about the lack of bathroom facilities and concessions I had a picture of this arena being older.
It's not.
Built in 2006 when the architect should have known better.

03-03-20 05:01PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Only one food concession. Looks like the organizers didn’t anticipate the success! After my earlier griping, I do want say all of the staff were very friendly, even the security guard apologized for having to search my back pack. But by Monday, volunteers weren’t subject to searches. They were very kind to the seniors (never can tell what they might be hiding in their cane!). Volunteers (I was one) were treated very well lots of Tim Hortons coffee & baked goods. I didn’t bother with the crappy hotel breakfast thanks to this. Curling Canada officials were great with the volunteers too.

A shame about the patch. However the local restaurants will be happy to serve you. So eat before you go.

03-03-20 08:51PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Really no excuse for CCA organizers not checking & supervising the progress of local committee.

Head of committee also bears responsibility for not having checks & balances in place.

Facility wise - architects only work with so much floor plate; they are hesitant to add washrooms and rest space because its NOT PRODUCTIVE and more importantly ADDS TO COSTS.

CCA new what they had in the Kingston facility - they just turned a blind eye cuz they were happy Kingston bid on the Brier with a substantial guarantee.

Patch food & beverage should be far more balanced from what I've been told, not totally weighted to booze. Should be 33% food/67% beverage w/ lots of 50/50s, souvenirs, t-shirts, other promotions, etc.

If I was a Kingston food truck, I would park near the Patch...but not sell cold hot dogs..& make a fortune. Luckily public transit is free.

03-04-20 05:56AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Only one food concession. Looks like the organizers didn’t anticipate the success! After my earlier griping, I do want say all of the staff were very friendly, even the security guard apologized for having to search my back pack. But by Monday, volunteers weren’t subject to searches. They were very kind to the seniors (never can tell what they might be hiding in their cane!). Volunteers (I was one) were treated very well lots of Tim Hortons coffee & baked goods. I didn’t bother with the crappy hotel breakfast thanks to this. Curling Canada officials were great with the volunteers too.

If they make people pay $100 for the 'privilege' of being a volunteer (which is absurd), it's the least they can do to treat them well.

It basically amounts to forcing people to make a $100 donation to Curling Canada (for them to use in whatever manner they choose) in order to volunteer.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

03-04-20 11:02PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

They fixed the bathroom issue by Tuesday. The patch had a row of portable bathrooms.

It was a much better time than the complaints here let on. Arena didn’t feel 10-15 years old though. Felt older than that. Maybe it’s not so much the arena as the lack of real amenities there.

Also - I had a radio that picked up the producers feed for TSN - not the television feed that they broadcast (it was 10-20 below the bottom of the standard fm dial). That’s pretty cool to hear. I hadn’t been able to pick that up at a sporting event in years.

03-05-20 09:32PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Fixed with porta potties. As McEnroe would say, you CAN not be serious. National event with porta potties. Well done. Not.

03-06-20 02:34AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
My wife and her friends voluntered for years and loved it

The now $100 fee is the cost of an upper deckJets ticket - and they were able to attend a major entertainment event for 10 days with coffee, sandwiches, donuts, A thank you party at the end , And jackets they all still wear with pride - never heard one complaint

I've heard several complaints about Curling Canada forcing people to pay $100 to volunteer.
I've volunteered at tennis events and have gotten all of what you mention - and more. Without paying a cent.
Of course, tennis has more money than curling... but the very thought of having to pay $100 to work and help an organization run their event is both completely ridiculous and absurd.

At the very least, they should have a 2-tier volunteer system - pay nothing to volunteer, and you get a free pass to get in anytime you want, or pay $100 to volunteer and you get the free pass, plus clothing, meals, and a party at the end.

I love curling, and I can afford the $100 - but on logical principle, I refuse to PAY to WORK.
I'm sure that there are many people who are passionate about curling who would love to volunteer - and who would do a great job - but who can't afford to pay the $100. These fans should be more respected by Curling Canada - at least give them the option of volunteering without paying.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-06-20 at 02:40AM

03-06-20 07:51AM
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Fixed with porta potties. As McEnroe would say, you CAN not be serious. National event with porta potties. Well done. Not.
Construction site style.

03-06-20 10:13AM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

So I'm not familiar with what the solution for this would normally be - are the portapotties not normal at the patch?

If I went to a professional golf event here or something where the purse is in the 20mil range, portapotties are pretty standard. The closest thing I compare the patch to is.. like an Oktoberfest party? Those would have portapotties too.

What would normally happen for that many people? Just talking from a place of inexperience at the Brier. They seem pretty standard for me. Besides, they were red and white. Felt very Canadian.

03-06-20 01:54PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend In Brandon 1982 all volunteers paid $40 for a deerskin orange sport jacket (still have mine 40 yrs later) and $12 for a pair of slacks (gone long ago) Still have a bit of my old Brier memorabilia though . . .

It was actually persimmon, ML. Get it right, eh!