Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Meridian Canadian Open

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-15-20 04:56PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Meridian Canadian Open

Jennifer Jones last shot in the eighth end was a draw down to the shot rock of Team Russia. It was wide and a bit heavy and got a 0/5 as it should be. My question is the scoring called it a 1.10 difficulty as a draw around guard. Her path was unguarded and by the eighth end the weight and line should be known. Should it have been a 1.10 difficulty?

Link to the shot.

https://twitter.com/CurlingZone/sta...549287086678016

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-15-20 09:29PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

This is the last Grand Slam before the Scotties & Brier. We should get an indication of who are the contenders and who are the pretenders among Canada's teams..

On the womens' side I like Fleury and Homan although both can be beaten, and the top three international teams are there to challenge.

Team Jacobs is having a good season so far and looks like the team to beat. Edin and the good young Mouat team will be tough too.

The predicted overnight low is -38 in Yorkton so expect to hear all about that from the broadcast crew.

01-15-20 10:41PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Re: Meridian Canadian Open

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
Jennifer Jones last shot in the eighth end was a draw down to the shot rock of Team Russia. It was wide and a bit heavy and got a 0/5 as it should be. My question is the scoring called it a 1.10 difficulty as a draw around guard. Her path was unguarded and by the eighth end the weight and line should be known. Should it have been a 1.10 difficulty?

Link to the shot.

Watching that video it appeared to me she either had to hit that rock sitting at 3 o'clock in the 4 foot and roll a few inches towards the pin or draw the pin itself. Since the shot was not obstructed in any way, that is, she didn't have to come around a guard or have to come through a port, I would have assigned a D.O.D. of 1.05. However, had that shot been obstructed, I believe 1.10 would be appropriate.

01-15-20 11:29PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Link to the shot.

Zero was the correct score but WHO decided a wide open draw was 1.1 dod? How is that possible? Through a port or or around some guards yes, but wide open draw?

That's that problem with stats. Open to the interpretation of the person with the clipboard/laptop. Either don't bother with over exaggerated stats or make it mandatory all stats keepers take the SAME course. Most stats are 20-30 higher than real life.

01-16-20 03:28AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

Link to the shot.

This is not an open draw.

The rock at the top of the 4-foot is still considered a guard since it makes the draw to the nose of the other red stone that much more difficult. This is marked correctly.

1.05 would have been given for a higher guard, while 1.10 is a difficult guard. This rock placement has to be perfect with the Russians still having a shot to come.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

01-16-20 09:18AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Unless the angle is showing it different than reality, a nose freeze would never put the top four rock in play. If it hits that rock it has over curled and ripe to be punched out.

Happy belated birthday Gerry.

01-16-20 02:56PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Talk About a Total Collapse.....

In the eighth end in their game against Hasselborg today, Weagle missed both of her ticks, Courtney missed a peel, Miskew had two miskews and Homan added two more miskews. WHOOO!

01-16-20 04:17PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Was it just me or was Koe not comfortable with his last shot? BJ seemed more on board with it than he was

01-16-20 10:41PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

"Habit is a hard street to ride"

I'm trying to decide if that's a famous quote or just a legend quote. I'll put it up there with "Rode hard and put away wet"

Enjoying old Glenny play so well. He's the Tom Watson of curling.

01-18-20 03:57PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Sn 360 used to be available for live stream without being part of package. Now it does not appear to be. Any way of streaming today’s games?

01-18-20 04:03PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Lots of stunning developments thus far in Yorkton.
Hasselborg being disposed of like yesterday's garbage is something rarely seen these days. The Swedish ladies, while never appearing arrogant are very sure of themselves and usually able to easily shot-pelt opponents into submission.

Jones losing games no longer a surprise because, well Jennifer has far too many problems in completing shots and her rock positioning usually leaves her fully exposed to other skips.

Einarson coming off some major slumping to nab an early A-qualifier is a good sign for the Manitoba rink. Still a team with little to no identity - although the front end of Birchard & Meilleur one of the best women's fronts I've seen - maybe right up there with Officer & Askin, Schmirler's front or Hasselborg's warriors.

Tracy Fleury down in the C-group will test their metal after a distressing performance at the Continental Cup.

Kovaleva draws to the button, Jones draws to the back of the house. Keven Martin remarks Canadian women’s curling is not in good shape. I agree with him.

01-18-20 05:33PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Beauty comeback for Jenn

Been thinking there has been some Continental Cup fatigue with some of the teams, Edin, Koe, Homan, Fleury, Carey. Might be a good idea to space these events out more.

01-18-20 05:43PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Sn 360 used to be available for live stream without being part of package. Now it does not appear to be. Any way of streaming today’s games?

try this:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/curling

01-18-20 08:53PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
"
Enjoying old Glenny play so well. He's the Tom Watson of curling.

Yes but he can only bail out a mediocre third so many times before the third sinks the team.

01-18-20 11:03PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

Also it means that Fleury is in the Scotties play-in game at worse. I think Einarson would be in, but if she has a terrible Scotties and Jones makes a deep run but loses to the final and loses to someone not named Fleury, it's possible that she misses out too. So, I think it's safe to say that we'll have 2 Manitoba teams at the Scotties.

01-19-20 03:27PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Nice showing Team Kim, just too many misses/missed opportunities. Would have been nice to have seen someone else win.

01-19-20 03:58PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Nice showing Team Kim, just too many misses/missed opportunities. Would have been nice to have seen someone else win.

Soooo happy for Team Hasselborg. Three GS wins in a row. Nice game by Team Kim. I'm sure we'll see them around.

01-19-20 05:30PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Even the announcers were less than complimentary to the Korean coach. Too bad that Korea dumped Gallant as a coach.

01-19-20 07:26PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:

Rachel Homan is the odds on favorite to take the Ontario Scotties spot. If she doesn't she'll be near 1 or 2 for the play-in game.

That's the thing. She's out of the play-in game. Homan doesn't have an out. She needs to win Ontario. Homan hasn't qualified at a slam this year which are worth a ton of points. Meanwhile Jones qualified at all 4 slams. Einarson and Fleury have qualified at 3 slams. She's still 4th in CTRS, but she was 14 points behind Jones and that's before Jones makes another QF at a slam that gives her 36 more points and I don't think Homan got more than 5. So that's something like 44 points between Jones in 3rd and Homan. Homan got 33 points for winning Ontario last year. It's safe to say that she would get less if she loses in the final.

Book it, 2 Manitoba at the Scotties.

01-20-20 07:45AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

eh. would it have been nice to see someone else win? yeah. on the other hand kim got a decent dose of luck to even get this far. if muirhead hadnt played one of the worst 8th ends i've seen a team play in their c qualifier they wouldnt have even made the playoffs. muirhead gifted them that win in the end

01-20-20 01:17PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Re: Definitely looks like 2 Manitoba Teams in Scotties

quote:

So 2 Manitoba teams can book a ride to STOH. That's nice but the sheer meekness and inefficiency of Manitoba's Top 3 teams is quite alarming.

Each of the 3 has a glaring weakness.

JONES - Jones herself. JJ's low percentage a dual function of hi-degree of difficulty shots combined w/ an unsteady Jones.

EINARSON - unmotivated back end featuring too-often listless Einarson & outside rental curler Val Sweeting.

FLEURY - best of the group but recent chinks in armour show them to be very beatable.

Wild guess - none of Manitoba's 3-headed monster win Manitoba. Someone like Beth Peterson or Mack Zacharias comes out of nowhere to win.

EINARSON & FLEURY then playoff for the CTRS entry.

Jones will win Manitoba easily. So far this year Peterman has been the only one engaged on the ice. McEwen, Lawes and Jones only care about Scotties/Worlds/Olympics, cashspiels don't matter. They will kick it up a notch in the provincials.
Like Fleury's back end but her front end can't shoot and Einarson is too inconsistent.

01-20-20 09:56PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

think kelsey rocque has to be favorite or alberta. normally scheidegger but given the circumstances i'd have to say rocque. there are a number o dangerous teams out there too but i like kelsey's chance to break through this year

british columbia should be corynn brown's or the taking. a great young player the uture of B.C curling. much like rocque i think this will be her year to break through

saskatchewan is wide open. silvernagle is the favorite but they have not looked good at any point this year. holland and anderson will be the biggest challengers. howard as darkhorse?

manitoba is easily the toughest to call. jones, einarson and fleury all have a shot and its really a toss up

ontario..oh , what has happened to ontario?. just 3 years ago you could have put ontario up with manitoba and alberta for depth. now its all about rachel. she could sleepwalk to the title this year. the only threat i see is jestyn murphy but even thats a long shot

northern ontario should see mccarville get through unless something truly shocking happens

no idea about quebec....maybe hastings? has to be the fave but its wide open

nova scotia should come down to arsenault and brothers

new brunswick should be craword but robichaud could challenge her. if comeau is competing then she could be a darkhorse
. brilliant junior who im looking to take the step to the adult level now

01-20-20 10:51PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Absolutely pumped for the provincials, the Slams and that are fun but love the nitty gritty battle to the nationals. I'm rooting for Jenn to take Manitoba (might shut up her critics), though I'm good with Einarson or Fleury or some dark horse taking the ticket, too.

Wasn't Tipping in the finals last season? Maybe she might make a good showing in Quebec now, too.

Silvernagle seems to be going through some sort of sophamore slump (like Koe and maybe Tirinzoni) but thinking she might find her form here.

01-21-20 02:39PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i didnt realize st.georges was competing in quebec. she should be favored to get through there. future of quebec curling. i really like her. reminds me a lot of larouche

thoughts about the men:

british columbia - tardi looks poised to break through this year and i hope he does

alberta - bottcher is the favorite but they have not looked anywhere near their best this year at any time and 2020 has been rough. a lot o dangerous teams in alberta ready to grab the title if they dont pick it up. appleman, vavrek and harty are the biggest 3 challengers.

saskatchewan - dunstone is the favorite but since winning that slam they've been underwhelming to say the least. muyres is the chief opposition but they havent been strong either. maybe a year where one of those guys thats been there forever gets through. josh heidt seems like the likeliest of the dark horses

manitoba - mcruthers are gelling but it still wont be easy with the likes of gunnlaugson and horgan around. mcewen is favorite but im picking horgan for the upset

ontario - this should come down to epping v.s howard. mcdonald, hall and kean are dangerous though and could surprise i howard or epping are off

northern ontario - much like the women it'd take a huge surprise and lightning striking not to see jacobs get through again

quebec - there are are some really good teams here that get good results on tour but dont play a lot to get that attention. youngsters roberge are quielty having a great season. final should be fournier and roberge but in a province where no team is dominant a veteran like erland could get through. im going with the young guys. vincent roberge

newfoundland - if northern ontario is a one man show then what is newfoundland?. brad hasnt been himself this season but it'd still take a herculean effort to knock him off here

nova scotia- - as per usual murphy and thompson are the favorite and will probably play the final again. hard to see anyone else challenging

new brunswick - incredibly wide open. i dont even have a guess. its litera;;y anyone's game

01-23-20 07:23PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

" 1.05 would have been given for a higher guard."

After looking over that phethora of statistical data generated by CZ on this subject, it soon became evident that a "Draw Around Guard Difficult" is the standard description if a difficult guard exists. So on that basis I'm okay with the 1.10 vs. 1.05.

What I'm not comfortable with, however, is calling that rock in the four foot at 12 o'clock a "guard". That is key , of course, because if no difficulty really exists that rating and description are both incorrect.

At our curling club last week a curler (also a CZ member) after showing that video clip did not find a single curler who considered that rock at 12 o'clock a guard, that is,it was not a rock she had to curl Around in order to become shot. When it was explained that the Russian rock was the only reason for the 1.10 evaluation their initial reaction was one of disbelief - without exception.

RES IPSA LOQUITUR