Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > World Men's Curling Championship: Reviews & Comments

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-10-21 10:36AM
fresca is online now Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

I guess you two would never make it on to the ice

Its a team sport - not likely you would ever get asked

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-10-21 11:56AM
prairie guy is online now Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

I think Darren Moulding is going to be the first guy people will pick on when this team loses. He did have some bad missses but to me the front end was average at best and they really let the pressure get to them at the end of the week. Brad Thiessen could not execute so many double run backs or clearing two rocks in front of the house when needed. Karrick could not get his two rocks in the right spots so many times and Canada was chasing after that. Can't remember seeing him shaking his head so much after he was done throwing. I thought Botcher held it together pretty good but I got the impression he expected the other team to miss shots for them to get a big end. Kennedy is a great curler but this is a team game and the team he was on did not do well at the Brier or that well at the Mixed Doubles. Anyway I do think the Botcher TEAM will be a force for many years and will learn from the World's experience.

04-10-21 12:00PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

They represented Canada well, just ran into a red hot team and if Bottcher makes his guard better in the 9th he's 1 down with hammer in the last and things might have turned out different.
Moulding seemed to tense up later in the week and didn't play his best but those who are saying they should've brought in Kennedy, no way. Moulding has been a big part of the team's success for years and you don't bail on a guy when he's earned the right to be there. I do think that after next year Bottcher will replace him with a young 3rd for the next Olympic cycle and he will have his pick as everyone will want to play on this team.

04-10-21 12:11PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by decade
And one of the best thirds ever in Canada sitting on the bench while an average Joe is getting is bum kicked.
one of the best thirds ever plays with one of the best skips in Canada and with one of the best front ends in Canada.

They should have beat the regular Joe when they had a chance, no?

04-10-21 12:54PM
prairie guy is online now Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
They represented Canada well, just ran into a red hot team and if Bottcher makes his guard better in the 9th he's 1 down with hammer in the last and things might have turned out different.
Moulding seemed to tense up later in the week and didn't play his best but those who are saying they should've brought in Kennedy, no way. Moulding has been a big part of the team's success for years and you don't bail on a guy when he's earned the right to be there. I do think that after next year Bottcher will replace him with a young 3rd for the next Olympic cycle and he will have his pick as everyone will want to play on this team.

I probably have to agree with you regarding the makeup of the team for the next Olympic cycle. Not that Moulding is old but long term it might be a good idea.

04-10-21 02:15PM
fresca is online now Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Not sure why the 2 positives arent named

My opinion is that thou personal , its important that covid 19 people should have been identified for the past yearto aid in tracing and avoidance .

Govt is usually a pain - outing every restaurant that a mose runs thru .

Everyone in the bbble knows who they are and its bound to become common knowledge - especially if it becomes canucks covid - where 26 players have it

I heard that the asians were all vaccinated before they came- its $3 a jab in india and most arent bothering to get it as they think they are immune

A frend in calgary heard italians

Last edited by fresca on 04-10-21 at 05:10PM

04-10-21 07:26PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

Not sure what India has to do with the unfortunate covid illness of some curling participants in Calgary.
It's a pretty broad statement to say most aren't bothering to get vaccinated..from a population of 1.4 billion Indian citizens.

Anyway, back to the discussion. Will the event resume after negative test outcomes of the remaining teams? Or is there some 10 or 14 day wait and isolation to get through first?

I'm sure a contingency plan was created before the event started. Right?

04-10-21 07:43PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

A Sweden, RCF final is likely, given their round robin W-L record. And Sweden won the R-R head-to-head game.

Although both teams only had two losses each, they both lost to the Swiss team. So there's that...

04-10-21 07:52PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

4 players on 3 teams with 4 teams in close contact

There have been talks abt canceling event

04-10-21 08:21PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The Johnnysmoke Plan (just annoint SWE* the winner with an asterisk) makes my blood boil, but it they get tons of positive tests; it's not without reason.

However, I hope the remaining teams in contention can field at least 3 players with negative tests. The Swiss, as johnnysmoke pointed out, beat both SWE and RCF and our USA guys beat the Swiss.

I'm really hoping for a USA win. It's been a long time. Too long. We have a team of nice guys and good players. I don't want this to end in a lab and a conference room.

Ben Tucker

04-10-21 08:29PM
CURLER1 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

copied and pasted from facebook, message from Warren Hansen.

Warren Hansen Inside Curling podcast Group
2h ·
Update on Curling Events in Calgary and Covid.......For certain there will not be any curling today or any possibility of curling resuming until the tests that were administered this morning provide results. There is a possibility of the event being concluded tomorrow if the tests administered this morning are all negative. The test being used is the PVR and results are expected tonight or early in the morning. There will not be any further media announcement until tomorrow morning.
There are four positive tests that resulted from exit tests being done yesterday on teams getting ready to depart. All four of the positives are asymptomatic and no one is actually showing any symptoms. This impacts three teams and we do not know if any of the teams are still in the competition or where the positive contact might have come from.
We also do not know, at this time, if it might be possible to extend the event into Monday because of the Grand SLAM event scheduled for the venue next week. If everything goes well the medical people involved are confident the clean bubble environment will be able to be re-established for the Grand Slam events.
Question was asked about the “fist bumps” that were not done during the previous events and were not part of the protocol. It was agreed it did not look good even though, apparently, hand sanitizer was applied immediately after leaving the ice area. No indication if this practice would be allowed to continue?
I think I have covered most of the points and if you have further questions I will do my best to answer them based on what I heard or know.

04-10-21 08:32PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Edin the best 3-dimensional chess player amongst remaining squads.
Swiss a close 2nd - RCF a real wild card as their nice round-robin record indicates without much other indicators.

Team Canada a group of nice shooters but the 3-dimensional stuff a bit lost on them. They can make all the shots - but house-stacking not yet their specialty!

04-10-21 09:55PM
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
The Johnnysmoke Plan (just annoint SWE* the winner with an asterisk) makes my blood boil, but it they get tons of positive tests; it's not without reason.

However, I hope the remaining teams in contention can field at least 3 players with negative tests. The Swiss, as johnnysmoke pointed out, beat both SWE and RCF and our USA guys beat the Swiss.

I'm really hoping for a USA win. It's been a long time. Too long. We have a team of nice guys and good players. I don't want this to end in a lab and a conference room.

Ben Tucker

More of a prognostication than a plan really. And Olympic champions and Canada slayers are just as likely to win on any given Sunday, maybe Monday...but my point was really that those 11-2 records are real and historically if memory serves, foretell the winners more often than not.

04-10-21 10:11PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

(speaking in jest)
Oh, no, johnnysmoke. Just like Ford Frick's asterisk he attached to Roger Maris; this asterisk will haunt you. You fathered this terrible idea. Now you have to live with it.

(kidding aside and more serious now)
I trust that every effort...even Herculean efforts...will be tried in order to settle this on the ice. I am biased, but so are Canadians who now might say "screw it" now that their team is out.

Sidenote to Manitoba Legend: Edin doesn't tower above the field like he's playing chess and the rest are playing checkers. Shuster and Bottcher both have winning records against him over the last five years. While the Swedes call a very good 5-rock game, you are overselling their edge. (in my humble opinion)

Ben Tucker
former curler and former frequent poster

04-10-21 11:48PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Note to Ben:

The curling world is replete with great teams in mens & womens,
however, there are scant few legendary teams.

The following come to mind:

1. Ken Watson - dominated in the 30s & 40s, introduced the long slide, wrote the first great book on curling strategy & mechanics.

2. The Richardsons - 4 Brier titles in 6 trips to the well.

3. Don Duguid - 2 Briers as skip, 1 as 3rd (Braunstein, '65). As good a powerhouse team as there was in the hitting era.

4. Kevin Martin - the grand-master of 3-dimensional curling. Yet, only 1 world title, one less than Jeff Stoughton.

5. Randy Ferbey - thrived during the era the pros were boycotting the Briers - and boy o boy did he (and Nedohin) thrive.

6. The Howards

7. The Jacobs Gang

8. Hackner & Lang

9. Brad Gushue & Co.

10. The Big Salamander, Kevin Koe

Bud Somerville & Glove-Man Roberts were the best American teams I saw. Old Bud demolished Duguid & Braunstein in '65 worlds.

Shuster & his group have easily exceed Bud & Roberts level of play. Legit chance for current Team USA to nab a world title this year (if play continues)

There are other internationals that would be on the list, some of who would give great trouble to the great Canadian teams I listed. No one moreso than Nik Edin. The Swiss are always sneaky good. Who knows where Glukoff (RCF) will end up ranking? Team Mouat also in the league of extraordinary gentlemen of the roarin' game. The way they dissected Bottcher was incredible to watch, even if one is a Canadian fan.

Pal Trulsen is prolly the most underrated Euro-curler of his era. Didn't throw a particularly pretty stone - but somehow produced results - a la Eddy Werenich. . . ! ! !

04-11-21 12:32AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Note to Tuck. First of all, don't pay any attention to ML as he is more interested in numbers than curling. Secondly, as a Canadian I'm surprised that you think we have a "screw it" attitude because we don't have a team representing us. Shame on you.

04-11-21 01:29AM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by albetts
Note to Tuck. First of all, don't pay any attention to ML as he is more interested in numbers than curling. Secondly, as a Canadian I'm surprised that you think we have a "screw it" attitude because we don't have a team representing us. Shame on you.

I agree a lot of Canadians still interested but not as interested as if Bottcher was still playing. Hard to place any reliance on ratings as no idea when games will go on if at all. TSN has been awful at updating their schedule. Maybe they laid off too many people.

04-11-21 08:41AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

4 players who were definitely interacting with all players and many officials in the past week are asymtomatic - the first step towards possibly getting covid

The rules say all contacts are required to isolate for 14 days

My take is they dare not do anything but cancel event

Cant see how first grand slam can proceed either

Everyone in that bubble - players , tv , vic, ice makers etc etc will have to isolate

Its just a game - would not want my family and friends to continue

Millions of Canadians have isolated for over a year now - covid is flairing up again - 100,000 new cases in india alone yesterday

Risk - reward

Doubt that those in the bubble can even return home for 14 days

But alternative could be worse

04-11-21 08:47AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Albetts, I think my concern is legitimate. I imagine that, if Shuster was eliminated, I'd have a touch of apathy towards how this Covid Worlds finishes up.

Apathy is probably the wrong word. If Shuster was out and they went ahead with the Johnnysmoke Plan, I probably wouldn't cuss a blue streak. With the USA alive and looking to end this title drought, my language might be foul for months.

(ML, you shouldn't hijack this thread for another of your game of lists. However, one could argue that Eigil Ramsfjell was the best curler of all time. Therefore, he is most certainly the most underrated Euro.)

Ben Tucker
Hoping for negative tests and good curling today

04-11-21 09:05AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Well general tucker - send the men into to play the game - damn the torpedoes -

Hesays from north dakota - safe in his 1 br apt

And by the way ml tries to be controversial to generate some interest in cz

If it wasnt for him and a few others , cz wuldnt be here fr u and old smoke to chirp in every few years

Thanks for inviting the 4 players to your place for a beer today - im guessing they will pass

04-11-21 09:07AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

Many of us Canadians have a "screw it" attitude after the Brier.
Sorry, but it is the truth.

Getting my first shot on Saturday.
I hope that 5G is as good as they say.

04-11-21 09:21AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Vaccine has been available in alberta for over a month

They jabbed 850,000 people so far

Not sure y 100 doses would not have been provided to the players

And its a little naive to think that canadian viewers are not dissapointed - but most would watch the other games

04-11-21 09:25AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Its a go