Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-29-20 06:39AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

What does "Hard for a piece!" and "Hard to stick!" mean?

From what I can tell, it's basically an order for the sweepers to go hard because they're in danger of flashing a hit ("Hard for a piece!'"), or in danger of rolling out after a hit ("Hard to stick!"). How is that different than just a generic "Hard!", though, is what I'm wondering.

It sure adds to the drama when they're being so descriptive in their urgency, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else to it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-29-20 09:48AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
What does "Hard for a piece!" and "Hard to stick!" mean?

From what I can tell, it's basically an order for the sweepers to go hard because they're in danger of flashing a hit ("Hard for a piece!'"), or in danger of rolling out after a hit ("Hard to stick!"). How is that different than just a generic "Hard!", though, is what I'm wondering.

It sure adds to the drama when they're being so descriptive in their urgency, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else to it.

You have this one down to a T.
The shot-caller is basically giving a coded explanation while urging for action on the running stone. When brushers know there's a high risk of flashing or rolling out during a critical shot - the thinking is they'll be more attentive and brush even harder than ever to "save the shot".

01-25-21 05:35AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

What does it mean to 'baby' a delivery?

Example usage: 2018 Olympics, mixed doubles USA vs OAR, 5th end. Matt Hamilton tries to repeat his previous shot.

Matt: "Feels like a little more [weight than last time]..."
Becca: (checks stop watch) "Yeah it is..."
Matt: "I babied it, though..."

Last edited by curlingclips on 01-25-21 at 05:42AM